Crime & Courts

Richmond Co. | Columbia Co. | Aiken Co. |

Man dies after confrontation with workers at Atlanta-area Walmart

LITHONIA, Ga. — A man suspected of shoplifting DVD players at a Wal-Mart died Sunday after a confrontation with workers at the Atlanta-area store.

WSB-TV reported that the man died after an altercation with workers outside the store in Lithonia.

The company said two workers were suspended with pay, and a security contractor will no longer work at the store, which is about 15 miles east of downtown Atlanta.

“No amount of merchandise is worth someone’s life,” Wal-Mart spokeswoman Dianna Gee said in a statement.

A police report said a middle-age man was caught shoplifting two DVD players about 1:30 a.m. Sunday. He left, but three workers caught him and had a fight in the parking lot.

Police found the workers on top of the man, who was unresponsive and bleeding from the nose and mouth. He was pronounced dead at a hospital.

Gee said two store employees involved in the confrontation were suspended with pay during an investigation, and a contractor who worked in security “will no longer be providing services to us.”

Gee said the death was “truly a sad situation.”

“Associates are trained to disengage from situations that would put themselves or others at risk,” she said. “That being said, this is still an active investigation and we’re working with police to provide any assistance.”

Lithonia police did not return a message seeking comment.

Comments (50)

KSL 11/26/12 - 11:39 am

Store policy needs to change.

Store policy needs to change. Somebody owns that store just like I own my house.

I give in a little to someone who thinks he has to steal milk for his children, except that scenario is hard to imagine any longer. But 2 DVD players. Nope

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 11/26/12 - 11:45 am

Like dichotomy,

I can't gin up much sympathy for a criminal who dies while committing a crime.
In this case though, I would like to see and understand the cause of death. If he had a heart attack while fighting with the employees, so be it. If he died at their hand, that is another story.

I fully support stopping thieves, with force if neccessary; but that force should be only as much as needed to accomplish the goal.

"Associates are trained to disengage from situations that would put themselves or others at risk,"

That is ambiguous at best.

LLArms
LLArms 11/26/12 - 12:03 pm

"This is rediculous! I

"This is rediculous! I watched Kroger managers and some employees chase down shoplifters. They actually love this kinda stuff...makes em feel real men... yea rite!"

All evil needs to succeed is for good men to do nothing.

The only people who empathize with criminals are other criminals and family members of criminals.

I am sorry little johnny did not grow up to be the child you hoped he would be. And no its not our fault little johnny is now a criminal. Then again, this is the "not my fault" generation.

burninater
burninater 11/26/12 - 12:05 pm

Ah, the culture of life, the

Ah, the culture of life, the worship of the sanctity of life. What's it worth, my beloved posters who hammer home the sanctity of life to us hateful sinners? Oh, 'bout 2 DVD players, I figure!

KSL 11/26/12 - 12:13 pm

Right not rite!

Right not rite!

HenryWalker3rd
HenryWalker3rd 11/26/12 - 12:46 pm

All of this is wrong. Someone

All of this is wrong. Someone trying to save merchandise for a company that will not give them insurance, a person is dead and everyone involved is out of pay. WalMart, you have had a good ride but you're in the news too much and it is not just advertisements.

Wal-mart steals from us, so is it really wrong to steal from them? THE HIGH COST OF LOW PRICES!

Wal*Mart Employees Murder Suspected Shoplifter over two DVD players worth less than $100.

Kind of summarizes the despicable role Wal*Mart plays in American society. What did Jesus say when one of his disciples complained that his robe was stolen? "Shame on you! Give them your shirt as well."

KSL 11/26/12 - 12:47 pm

So burn, you are telling me

So burn, you are telling me that it was almost all right for Manchester to break in to our house for the umpteenth time, steal food and the allowance this 5th grader had saved up for a 2 family trip to Daytona Beach, at the tune of about 50¢ a week.

In fairness to you, you didn't say that was ok. But he did escalate in his behavior to the point of physically attacking me when I was in middle school. At that point, my family had had enough of trying to help him, feed him, provide odd jobs so he could earn his own spending money. The sheriff picked him up and I never saw him again.

KSL 11/26/12 - 01:02 pm

He probably only got about

He probably only got about $15.00. That's only 30 out of my 52 weeks of total pay, 100% of the total amount saved up. He went to jail over stealing food and change, AND chasing me to the point I sought refuge in one of our cars, locked the doors first, and was rolling up the windows, but not before he reached in and scratched my wrists, drawing blood on both.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 11/26/12 - 01:02 pm

"Wal-mart steals from us, so

"Wal-mart steals from us, so is it really wrong to steal from them? "

At which Wal-mart was a gun held a gun to your head to either buy something from them or be employed by them?

wayne2410
wayne2410 11/26/12 - 01:06 pm

That comment about it being

That comment about it being okay to steal if you do not like the people you are stealing from is a perfect example of the liberal mindset.

KSL 11/26/12 - 01:13 pm

Right

No way can Walmart steal from you if you don't shop there. We do still have freedom to shop where we please.

Thank you, Itsanother, You pointed out idiocy.

allhans
21944
allhans 11/26/12 - 02:29 pm

The DVDs appear to have been

The DVDs appear to have been more than "petty" to the fellow trying to steal them.

Riverman1
Riverman1 11/26/12 - 04:25 pm

Remember the Marine Reservist

Remember the Marine Reservist working at the Toys for Tots charity at Best Buy who jumped the shoplifter? The one who was stabbed? Heroes stop crime even if it's not their property. Crime is crime.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 11/26/12 - 04:58 pm

Good NEWS To You Shoplifters.

All you have to do now is put on your cover up and wig, go to Wall Mart, pick up what you like, slowly make it to the checkout line but them make a dash to the door. Once your are out side, your are scott free. Don't worry about the police because by the time they get there, you will be miles away and you cover up disposed of.

When you have the chance to enjoy your ta-kens knowing you have just got back what was stolen from you in the first place will give you that honest livable feeling.

What a society we have evolved to. A society that believes that criminals should be accepted and made part of our living habitat like the acceptance of gays.

Facts provided from commits above.

Trouble
Trouble 11/26/12 - 06:00 pm

oopsie

there i go again......

Trouble
Trouble 11/26/12 - 05:47 pm

really??????

uh, no, wal mart is a corporation, it is not owned by one person, it is owned by a corporation......or are you saying that many people own your house?

just so we are clear, wal mart does not franchise their stores

KSL 11/26/12 - 08:15 pm

Somebodies own the store.

Somebodies own the store. Does that please you more? If you want to get that specific. I am not divorced, so 2 people used to own this house. He signed over his half in the 70's when the government claimed public supervisors could be held responsible with personal assests on the line for employees layers well under them.

KSL 11/26/12 - 08:18 pm

You just had to get that dig

You just had to get that dig in to me. You knew damn well that I know Walmart is a corporation.

specsta
specsta 11/26/12 - 08:27 pm

Hang 'Em High

Cobalt George wrote: "There happens to be a few of us that believe if you don't live within the laws of our society then you shouldn't be allow to walk amoung us.

By your "standards", here's a short list of those who break laws and who shouldn't live among the law-abiders:

Drivers who speed and tailgate
Homeowners who water their lawn on the wrong day during restrictions
Smokers who litter with their cigarette butts