Rants & Raves

Comments from readers:

BEFORE THE Democrats start talking about “mandates,” “majority of Americans,” “the will of the people,” we need to keep in mind that only 57.5 percent of registered voters voted, and that only 51 percent voted for the current regime. This means that a whopping 29 percent of Americans who could vote agreed to keep the status quo. That is sobering.

SAVE THE A? It turned out to be more like “Cover Your A.”

IN MY OPINION Ann Romney would have portrayed the ultimate “First Lady of the White House.” Ann is beautiful, smart, dignified, respectful, charming and would have represented our country in such an honorable way. America missed out on a “True Lady” and a “Class Act.” What a loss for our country.

VOTING IS OVER. Please respect whoever got elected to office and respect the office that they hold. We have to back our leaders, and our leaders have to back us. So whoever got in office, support them to the fullest.

OBAMA IS NOT going to take my hard-earned money and redistribute it to some lazy low-life. I’ve worked too hard plus saved to make a success of my life. I’ll burn my house down and give all my money to a worthy charity before I get stuck paying higher taxes. Then I can go on welfare and live off the government. On second thought, maybe I should burn the money too because Obama will end up stealing it from the charity. No-win situation!

THE THREE NEW student volunteers at Precinct 44 in North Augusta were helpful, courteous and nice. We were very grateful for their help.

RANT FOR THE parents at Martinez Elementary who drop their children off in the morning and are in such a hurry they need to move the big barrier and go around other parents who are dropping off their children. The big barrier is there for a reason. It is there so our children don’t get run over. So could you please wait your turn?

THE WAY TO END able-bodied poverty is to end taxpayer-sponsored handouts. Don’t work-don’t eat!

GGpap
GGpap 11/24/12 - 07:01 pm
"...a whopping 29 percent of Americans..."

So? Your numbers cannot change the fact that Obama is STILL our president, and...eighteen days after the fact...the sky is still not falling.

GGpap

GGpap
GGpap 11/24/12 - 07:09 pm
"OBAMA IS NOT going to take my hard-earned money..."

A hollow and childish threat that will not come to pass; sadly, because there are many worthy charities out there that could probably do better work with those dollars than the author obviously has since he values his bank account more than he cares about a possible (small) contribution to the welfare of society in general.

GGpap

Fools_and_sages
Fools_and_sages 11/24/12 - 08:35 pm
Fact Check: Taxes on Wealthy in US history

All of the federal tax rates on earned income from the website taxfoundation.org. All of the capital gains rates come from http://krugman.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/01/18/the-history-of-capital-gains...

In 1945, at the end of World War II, the Americans making $200k per year and over paid a federal tax rate of 94% on their earned income. The tax rate on capital gains was about 25%, regardless of income level. In 1969, during the Vietnam War,Americans making $200k and over paid a federal tax rate of about 60% on their earned income and the rate on capital gains was about 30%. Under your much beloved Ronald Reagan in the 1980s, Americans making $200,000+ per year had a federal tax rate of 50% on earned income and the capital gains rate was anywhere from 20% to 28%. Under Clinton, the wealthiest Americans paid a federal tax rate of 39.6% on earned income and the capital gains tax rate went form about 29% when he was elected to about 22% when Clinton left office. When Bush II took office, he cut taxes on the wealthy, reducing the federal tax rate on earned income to 35% and the capital gains rate to about 15%. Note that since the Bush tax rates are still in place, we currently have THE LOWEST TAXES ON THE WEALTHY IN US HISTORY.

Note also that the US economy expanded throughout the 1950s when tax rates on earned income on the wealthy were over 70% and capital gains taxes were at about 25%. Note that the economy boomed under Reagan and Clinton as well, when tax rates on the wealthy were higher than they are today. Note that from the 1950s through the 1990s (minus a period int he 1970s), we were also on the cutting edge of medical and technological research, we had the top public education system in the world, and we had a solid infrastructure and near full employment when taxes on the wealthy were significantly higher than they are today.

I will concede this. When capital gains taxes on the wealthy were highest in the 70s (between 35% and 40%) and they were still paying a 50% to 70% federal rate on earned income (depending on income bracket), we did have a deep, long recession. So there does seem to be a threshold at which taxing the rich becomes counterproductive.

However, currently, we are nowhere near that threshold now and letting the Bush tax cuts expire on the wealthiest Americans isn't going to hurt that much. Letting those tax cuts expire raises taxes on earned income for wealthy people by about 4.6%. And, of those wealthy people, only about 3% of small businesses will be affected. So, the effect on small business "job creators" is minimal.

Combine this info with a report issued right before the election by the NON-PARTISAN Congressional Research Office and we get some interesting information. This report showed that lower taxes on the wealthy have little to no effect on creating jobs because the wealthy stash that money in the stock market and let it grow. They aren't spending much of that extra cash they get due to lower taxes and they aren't reinvesting it in their businesses to create jobs. The report did show, however, that low taxes for the wealthy has created the situation we have today where about 70% of the wealth in the US is controlled by 5% of the people.

Fools_and_sages
Fools_and_sages 11/24/12 - 08:49 pm
Wealthy today vs. yesterday

Basically, folks, a 4.6% tax hike on the wealthy isn't socialism. In fact, the US has had very high taxes on the wealthy throughout most of its history and nobody has ever called it socialism--even during times when were the US frightened to death of communists and socialists. Yet you cry socialist today, instead of admitting the real problem.

The real problem in the US today is that most everybody, regardless of income level, has such a selfish "I got mine" attitude, which makes the very idea of helping others get ahead chafe our unmentionable regions. Most Americans are too selfish to give anything back to the society that made us what we are. Sure, you worked hard and invested you own money in order to become successful. But society gave you those opportunities. Society bought your product or patronized your service. That money you earned didn't just fall into your laps from above. It came from the pockets of other people. So, society helped you get to where you are.

In the way back, the richest Americans understood that they didn't get to their position on their own. The Carnegies, Rockefellers, the Morgans, and other ultra-rich people were no angels and they did some underhanded things. But they also founded arts institutes and venues, funded/created libraries and universities, and created organizations to sponsor scientific research. About the only ultra-rich people who do that today are Warren Buffet and Bill Gates-- and both of them have volunteered to pay higher taxes. Sure, some athletes run sports camps for the needy, build sports facilities in their hometowns, visit sick kids in the hospital, or they create or support foundations for disease research if they have a kid or a relative who suffers from something. Sure, some actors and actresses get involved with disaster clean-up, human rights initiatives, and supporting charity or research organizations. But none of that actually puts things in place that can actually improve society across the board. All of that celebrity charity is focused on specific projects in specific places. And that's the problem. Higher taxes solve that issue because the government gets the money to spend on things that matter in the fight to better society as a whole.

Jake
Jake 11/24/12 - 09:07 pm
#3, "True Lady"

And she would have been the classic, traditional First Lady, you know, white. I think Michelle Obama is representing our country very well, thank you.

Jake
Jake 11/24/12 - 09:11 pm
#5, Burning

I tell you what, why don't you just go ahead and burn the things you are talking about and tell the AC to reference your R&R post. Then I would have respect for your post but until then your post is like flatulance.

Jake
Jake 11/24/12 - 09:16 pm
Last R&R

You know, everyone can contribute in some way to help. It does not have to be money, it can be volunteer time. If you feel that you can not contribute anything then I feel you might be just a little on the lazy side.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 11/24/12 - 10:53 pm
Big Barrier

Well, maybe the school could work on making the big barrier much, much, much heavier so the parents cannot possibly move it.

Or a better solution would be to ban parent vehicles from drop-off and pick-up on school property. Make them drop their precious little Sallys and JimBobs a half-mile down the street. That should improve traffic.

Gage Creed
Gage Creed 11/24/12 - 11:28 pm
From the AC today "As

From the AC today "As politicians scurry to resolve the congressional cliffhanger known as sequestration, communities such as Augusta are bracing for a storm of uncertain proportions"

GGpap...you may want to turn down the "smug-o-meter" just a touch.

gargoyle
gargoyle 11/25/12 - 01:34 am
GGpap and Jake I'm staring at

GGpap and Jake I'm staring at a $100 footstool bought at Job Shop. Could have got it at any number of stores for $20 or less but the cause was worthy and the $80 helped the community. We have been taking various pieces to them to be refinished, but that will dwindle as will other charities be squeezed out from receiving our drop in the bucket. Uncle Sugar's demand on finances has forced that change. Inflation, Government Tax, and Business policy have a direct effect on household income; making people reevaluate what they can afford to give. I ask this question, Do you think the Government will be able to match the level of support that private citizens have once the willing are pushed out of the picture? Time is the easy thing to give but only can go so far when so many are without food or shelter. Not being able to help fund worthy causes has caused this household sadness. Hopefully there are others who can take up the slack or we are in for a world of hurt for those less fortunate.

rebellious
20174
rebellious 11/25/12 - 02:14 am
WOW

The long knives are out early. Whatever happened to peace lovin Liberals? I guess the second term will be revenge and payback, for what I don't know, but the tone sure is changing.

Hey GGpap, you channeling Retired Army now, are you? How about an original thought? Got any?

Rant #1 - Excellent synopsis of both voter apathy and ignorance. And a pretty good job anticipating the whole "the American people have spoken" qualifications for unconstitutional policy and the pursuit of fairness from the POTUS.

Rant #3 - I agree Ann Romney would have carried the position with more dignity than Michele My Belle. Ann would have never said "All this for a ____ flag" at a Flag Day celebration. I bet she would never have even thought it.

Rant #4 - I do not have to respect anyone based on their ability to persuade a majority of an ignorant electorate to vote for them, especially when their election is due to them making promise of leniency for criminal activity or a new doctrine of "Fairness", more accurately described as income redistribution. Respect is earned, and not through the voting process. When earned, I will duly respect. Not one minute before! This is still America.

Rant #5 - Simmer down there now. Give it a chance before you go off the reservation. We still have midterm elections coming up before you know it. Don't go "Ruby Ridge" on us, because you become fodder for the Liberals like GGPap and Jake to label us all a bunch of extremist

Rant #7 - Little Lamb, I agree with your ideas. Personally, I wish we still lived in a day when you could yank them out of the car and put a buttwhipping on them, then put them back in the car and say "Now don't do that again". I promise you it used to work, and would today if we didn't have to protect idiots rights to be idiots. Instead, we prefer to legislate stupid stuff like how much transfat is in their McDonalds fries.

Rant #8 - Good idea, but there ain't no votes to be gained by GGPap's heroes with that simple strategy.

Good Morning All. Seenit, been missing you cause you post early and I post late, but here's to ya.

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 11/25/12 - 07:17 am
VOTING IS OVER. Please

How can you support anyone who you know does not have your best interest at heart? Just one example... Obamacare. It has become clear not that it will hurt business, both large and small.

wayne2410
wayne2410 11/25/12 - 07:34 am
Dude, don't burn your own

Dude, don't burn your own house down, that is just silly. I know Obama is a illegitimate leader and is most likely not even American born but we will just have to survive him. The people who this reflects poorly on is the ones who voted for him, most of them are still climbing that evolutionary scale, if you know what I mean, and they can not help theirself. If anyones houses needed burning down it would be theirs but I would not recommend that either, illegal you know. Just chill out until 2014, protect your money from the moochers, keep yourself armed with plenty of ammunition and be ready. The day is coming.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 11/25/12 - 08:26 am
Well. Well, Well

I see that it is another no comment posting day for me. 90% of all that I would post would be classified as Non_PC and would disappear and maybe me also.......

So back to Trolling and observe my friends trying to fight an unwinnable battle and all the Snakes that they "DO" see.

seenitB4
seenitB4 11/25/12 - 08:39 am
thanks Rebel....I seeya

One day our posts will meet headon kinda....Watch out HEPHZIBAH when they do....:)

seenitB4
seenitB4 11/25/12 - 08:40 am
ohhh cgee

Cgee..ya gotta stop making me chase ya...I can't run like I used to

seenitB4
seenitB4 11/25/12 - 08:42 am
LOL over this...

GGpap...you may want to turn down the "smug-o-meter" just a touch.

Do ya think....just a tad maybe....hahahahh

seenitB4
seenitB4 11/25/12 - 08:43 am
Well now

I see I didn't win the big one but hey.....no one did,.....so next time baby....over 400 million now......ya gotta buy a ticket if you want a chance...

seenitB4
seenitB4 11/25/12 - 08:47 am
So sweet to hear the words

"I've been missing you"......If you guys only knew how sweet words get to a woman....you would use them everyday.....like darling---sweetie----my love----honeybunch----sweetlips----use them for 1 week & get back to me....:)

LillyfromtheMills
LillyfromtheMills 11/25/12 - 08:51 am
Gobble

Gobble

seenitB4
seenitB4 11/25/12 - 08:53 am
Niiiice

A nice 29 degrees here....chill is in the air...I like it...gobble back atcha..

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 11/25/12 - 08:58 am
B4

Gotta........27.5 here!

seenitB4
seenitB4 11/25/12 - 09:03 am
Cold ain't it....:)

RA cornbread Red ain't real country...is it??

Keep trying ya might find reeeel country one day....

seenitB4
seenitB4 11/25/12 - 09:09 am
This is real country RA

Now listen to the beat of the music...listen to the words.....aaaahhh
you see the difference ...don't you......☺

seenitB4
seenitB4 11/25/12 - 09:13 am
See the Feeeeling in the words......

What am I longing for each lonely night?To feel your lips to mine and hold you tightYou'll be my only love my whole life throughBaby, nobody else, nobody else will do
I want you close to me, oh, that's all I knowI want you all the time, darlin', I love you so
What am I living for, if not for you?Oh, what am I living for, child, if not for you?I wanna know what am I livin' for if not for you?Oh, now, nobody else, nobody else will do

seenitB4
seenitB4 11/25/12 - 09:16 am
cgee

Why is it that some folks just don't "get" country music......I can't get use to boon boom....rap music.....doesn't mean a single thing to me......just noise...grating noise at that...

now ...on to other news & stuff...

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 11/25/12 - 09:37 am
.just noise...grating noise at that...

High 5 on that. I appreciate all genres of music, including some opera and classical. I grew up on Motown and the soulful tones of Percy Sledge, Dionne Warwick, et al; then the acid rock of Jimi Hendrix, Led Zepplin, and my all time favorite, Pink Floyd. I've been to Yanni concerts, broadway plays, bluegrass festivals. Tonight I'm going to see Jackie Evancho in Atlanta, then Mannheim Steamroller back here next week.

All that to PROVE I like music and know music. But this hip-hop rap crap is just pure noise to my ears; extremely annoying noise.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 11/25/12 - 09:48 am
The First Lady

This is the text of a post I had pulled a while back when discussing the First Lady. I was out of line with some verbiage and Sean said I could re-post if I toned that down some:

It isn't the number of vacations that concern me; after all Bush spent a lot of time at his Crawford ranch. Presidents are really never on vacation anyway, as they still run the show from where they are at the time.

What bothers me is the lavishness and expense. Mrs. Obama acts like an ordinary Joe who just won the lottery; dragging along an entourage of family and friends, throwing money around on the most expensive booze, food, and accommodations she can find. The theme song of The Jeffersons comes to mind "we finally got a piece... of the piieeeee!"

Some estimates tag the cost at over $10,000,000.00; others argue that the Obamas spend their own money for personal expenses. Whether they do or not, the costs for food, lodging, transportation, etc. for the entourage of staff and secret service is immense, as is the costs for government jets that haul the First Lady around to all of these places.

I certainly do not begrudge a president and his family getting away from Washington for R & R, but I do take offense at the manner and style this family has traveled when so many Americans are hurting financially.

Somehow, I don't think Mrs. Romney would have presented herself, or behaved this way.

seenitB4