Rants & Raves

Comments from readers:

A COMMENT ON THE elections: God be with us; we will need him.

RANT ON RICHMOND Coun­ty Animal Services, who didn’t come when there is a call placed. Three dogs were hit and one lay dying in the street. It was awful! The dog owners are letting their animals run free. It is more humane for a dog to be euthanized than killed by a car.

THE PETREAUS CASE has too many oddly timed connections to be coincidence. And face it, he has been a political animal from his days at West Point. How many cadets marry the commandant’s daughter?

The news story seems to show that Petraeus never did much in the way of actual combat – he was in Haiti and Yugoslavia? After that, he was ranked so high that actual combat never touched him. No, this is just one more case of Obama and his handlers manipulating us via lies and more lies.

FALL: THAT TIME IN the South when the pine straw makes your yard look like it needs a haircut.

IN A SPEECH, OBAMA says the majority of Americans agree with him. What a boatload of rubbish. I cannot decide if this statement represents the height of arrogance or the depths or ignorance. Only a majority of voting Americans voted for Obama: that does not mean they agree with him. The Catholics do not agree with him over abortion, birth control, same-sex marriage or how he treats Israel. The Jews do not agree with him over how he treats Israel. The black, faith-based community disagrees with him over same-sex marriage, and those evangelicals who voted for him disagree with him over abortion, same-sex marriage and Israel.

IF THEY ARE TRULY for individual liberty, freedom and prosperity, Republicans should put legalizing weed and moonshine on their

platform. When they made moonshine illegal, the feds bankrupted small acreage farmers, turning them into sharecroppers. Legalizing and taxing would enable people to thrive, reduce the costs for police,
kneecap the Mexican cartels and create tax revenues.

SOME GUY IS USING a $1.8 million grant to “study,” “revamp” a corridor from downtown to the dead Regency Mall? Since it can’t take nearly 2 million bucks to look over some maps, where is the money going?

Sweet son
Sweet son 11/23/12 - 09:10 pm
Good Evening/Morning!

To all of my R&R buddies. Hope the Thanksgiving weekend is going well. Not even going to comment on national or local politics! Going to take the SeenitB4 attitude. If you can't say something good then it is sometimes wise not to say anything at all! :) Have a great day and finish up the turkey!

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 11/23/12 - 09:22 pm
Some Guy

The last rant above asks a very loaded question. The $2 million will be totally wasted (and on an out-of-town consulting firm, no less).

Retired Army
Retired Army 11/23/12 - 10:29 pm
47 Percent Irony?

Here's a little something the Chronicle seems to have missed. More than a small dose of irony in this story, wouldn't you say?

Retired Army
Retired Army 11/23/12 - 10:38 pm
I have to go with LL on that

I have to go with LL on that 2 million dollar study. I'll bet he and I could have pulled it off for say 1.6 or so. Whaddya think?

Retired Army
Retired Army 11/23/12 - 10:38 pm
Rant #3

Ranter #3 writes: "How many cadets marry the commandant’s daughter?"

How many daughters does the guy have? Can't blame a feller for tryin' to get ahead, can you?

I've seen more than one soldier marry another soldiers daughter over the years.

In fact one of them married my daughter. Almost 11 years and three sooper-dooper grand kids later, I think it's turned out pretty darned great.

Retired Army
Retired Army 11/23/12 - 10:41 pm
Ranter #1

Ranter #1 "A COMMENT ON THE elections: God be with us; we will need him."

God was with us on November the 6th. What makes you think He's gonna quit now.

Retired Army
Retired Army 11/23/12 - 10:50 pm
Oh Heck!

I was gonna leave it alone 'til after the holiday, but Ranter #1 just begs for this.

Day #18 and the sky is still in place, churches, schools, police and firestations are still open, gas is down, stocks are moving back up, BBQ can be bought, Black Friday was busy as He double L and even the "Sour Grapers" are allowed to post their misgivings.

Why heck, even the bus stations are selling tickets to Mexico-can't do Canada, they have Public Healthcare-to those who feel the need for FreeDum elsewhere.

And to top things off Redskins 38, Cowboys 31. Yup, I'd say God is doing just fine.

Jake
Jake 11/23/12 - 10:51 pm
Pine Straw

I saw a patch of pine straw yesterday along a stretch of the freeway. There are not a lot of pine trees where I live. It made me a little homesick for the South. I think pine straw is pretty.

Retired Army
Retired Army 11/23/12 - 11:00 pm
Rant #2

Agreed pets should be better taken care of, but on occasion one's gonna get loose and hurt.

In my day we didn't stand around waiting for a government agency to come along in their good time while some poor critter was suffering.

A quick well aimed pistol shot(to a beyond saving suffering animal)and a shovel pretty well took care of the problem.

To the "Oh My GAWIDERS" out there, kindness in the case of a suffering dying animal is not standing around watching it suffer. At the very least pick up the poor critter and haul it to the nearest vet. Most will take them in for no charge. I picked up a broken winged Mocking bird a couple of years ago and that damn thing still inhabits the Vets place of business, pestering the paying customers.

Jake
Jake 11/23/12 - 11:05 pm
Weed & Moonshine

I think there are some merits for legalizing weed, though my wife, who is a medical professional, is against it. It is especially helpful for those that suffer from nausea while undergoing chemo treatment for cancer and have trouble eating. No studies that I know of have linked marijuana usage to becoming a hippie. Also, instead of smoking weed they do have products available that are in oral form like chocolate, cookies, candy, etc.
Moonshine is an area that I am not too familiar with. I bet Riverman knows a thing or two about it. I do know the old man used to keep a small jar in the fridge from time to time. I went with him one time when I was about 12yrs old to this old black gentleman's house out in the middle of nowhere and I stayed in the car while he went inside and brought back a small jar. He said that moonshine could be used as medicine sometimes.

Retired Army
Retired Army 11/23/12 - 11:11 pm
Hiya Jake

How'd the cornish hens go?

Hate to brag, but I got a little bonus check, so we had a medium rare beef tenderloin on the grill to go along with all the traditional favorites.
Football playin' nephew showed up. Man can that kid eat and I was glad to watch it. Did manage to save a hunk though. Turkey sandwich for lunch and a filet sandwich for dinner.

We do this on Wednesday evening, so there is no squabbling over who's going to visit the in-laws or out-laws on Thursday. Leaves Thursday open for giving to our community. One of our coolest family gigs.

Jake
Jake 11/23/12 - 11:11 pm
Putting animals down

I got a lot of thumbs down the other day for suggesting that it is OK to put an animal down if you don't have the funds to keep it alive. If I have to choose between an animal or my wife and kids then the animal would have to go. I guess if a vote was taken at my household then the animal would be taken care of and I would have to go.

Jake
Jake 11/23/12 - 11:14 pm
Hey RA

I did not do cornish hens. I was in San Jose at my brother-in-laws where my job is to do the mashed potatoes. I do it every year. Congrats on the Redskins. I was so full last night that I have not eaten anything yet today but it is dinner time now. See you later.

countyman
20120
countyman 11/24/12 - 12:11 am
#7.... The $1.8 million grant

#7.... The $1.8 million grant will removed abandoned homes/commercial buildings. Bring in new homes, businesses, park space, sidewalks, bicycle lane, streetlights, etc. Keep in mind the $1.8 million grant is one of several new things coming to the area. DOT is going to widen 15th street, and Cherry Tree/Sunset is being demolished.

The city of Augusta received the $1.8 million grant, because of the Richmond County master plan. The master plan is the 'study' to revamp/improve the entire county.

JggrNAUT
JggrNAUT 11/24/12 - 03:52 am
Petreaus Case

Are you really going to blame Obama and his "handlers "for how a military man handled his career and mistakes over the past 40 YEARS? That's ridiculous!

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 11/24/12 - 05:53 am
The Emperors' Case

Are you really going to blame Bush and his "handlers" for how an incompetent man handled his career and mistakes over the past 4 YEARS? That's ridiculous.

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 11/24/12 - 05:56 am
Good bye JR.

Being able to go from Maj. Anthony Nelson to JR Ewing is a testament to Larry Hagmans' acting ability. Not many with his type of ability left, and they are going fast.

Riverman1
Riverman1 11/24/12 - 08:34 am
New Republican Platform

Hey, that's MY Republican platform suggestion. "The Moonshine and Marijuana Party." But the more it's said the better. The new Libertarian Republican Party.

Keep all the money you make, make all the moonshine you want, grow all the weed you want, don't let anyone tell your church what to do, pay for your medical care with cash or a dozen eggs if necessary, not join a union unless you want, buy the biggest gun made and don't allow a code enforcement officer to walk in your house to tell you to cut your grass.

Riverman1
Riverman1 11/24/12 - 08:31 am
Moonshine and Bootleg

Jake, I was a moonshiner's boy, kind of...at least he drank a lot of it. Heh. By the way, Bootleggers Boy by Barry Switzer explains it well. Moonshining and bootlegging are not the same thing, keep in mind.

I remember going to get the clear stuff down the dirt road where the car vibrated real bad going over the hard ridges in the road, the mason jars with the fruit cut up in the bottom of it, my daddy and JD, who was related somehow, gulping it in the front seat, striking matches to light up Camels and shooting the shotguns out the car window on the way home just for the heck of it.

To buy from bootleggers on Sundays and at night, you went out to this house stuck off the road that also had a little private dump. You would drive next to the window on the side of the house and get as many pints and half pints of the brown bottled Seagrams Seven as you could pay for. Cops and everyone was in on that deal, but someone killed the guy there one day with a shotgun blast and that stopped the bootleg operation.

seenitB4
seenitB4 11/24/12 - 08:40 am
Sigh....

If only I could live up to sweetsons vision of me.....I let lose sometimes sweetson.......good am posters--readers--good guys & bad guys...

Riverman1
Riverman1 11/24/12 - 08:51 am
Yeah, that question: "How

Yeah, that question: "How many cadets marry the commandant’s daughter?"

Kind of a funny question, but I'll assume he means over the years with many graduating classes. That would be something to research. The soldiers who married the commandants' daughters and what happened to them.

seenitB4
seenitB4 11/24/12 - 08:51 am
Some on here

Just in case yall missed it....some on here think I am the voice of reason ....hehheh.....very smart posters I might add....:)
Sooooo yall can down me all ya want to....won't bother me....hahah

LillyfromtheMills
LillyfromtheMills 11/24/12 - 08:53 am
How many days

in a row can you eat turkey until you start gobbling?

Riverman1
Riverman1 11/24/12 - 08:56 am
Master Plan and Grant

I wonder how much the Master Plan cost to get the grant? Actually, 1.8 million won't go far when you have to purchase property. You would have been better off having the jail inmates plant some crepe myrtles or something.

seenitB4
seenitB4 11/24/12 - 08:56 am
About moonshine

Some of my kin served time because of moonshine still making....they had to feed their younguns they said.....
My best friends daddy had a still in the middle of his house in a makeshift basement...right at Morgan & Tobacco Rd area...he had a bunch of younguns too......the woods were full of stills......Tobacco Rd & on out toward Waynesboro country....just like growing maryj today....nascar drivers grew up from hauling that stuff....

Riverman1
Riverman1 11/24/12 - 08:59 am
Lilly, I don't know, but

Lilly, I don't know, but those suggestions that you not keep foods you cook refrigerated over 24 hours wouldn't fly at my house. We'll be eating the stuff until we get some new stash at Christmas.

seenitB4
seenitB4 11/24/12 - 09:01 am
Lily my lady

2 days of turkey are enough for me....gobble gobble....:)

Jake...I like pine straw too...the fluffy kind though.....without the stickys in it.....pretty clean & soft kind....

RKill...thanks for the advice this am & I miss ole JR too...he was a great actor.....& made a perfect meanie....my kind of meanie..:)

Riverman1
Riverman1 11/24/12 - 09:01 am
SeenIt, I figured you would

SeenIt, I figured you would remember. Yep, all that's the truth, we both know. The moonshiners and bootleggers were big supporters of no alcohol sales on Sunday. In SC, sales were illegal after the sun went down too. Red Dot Stores.

justthefacts
justthefacts 11/24/12 - 09:03 am
Cocks/Tiggers

So, river, who are you pulling for today?

seenitB4
seenitB4 11/24/12 - 09:04 am
I agree with this r/r

THE PETREAUS CASE has too many oddly timed connections to be coincidence.

Yep...something is up with him & I don't mean body parts either....LOL