Rants & Raves

Comments from readers:

ANY CHRISTIAN who does not believe that everything that has taken place – including the election – is God’s purpose, should re-evaluate their faith.

SICK OF HEARING all the excuses for re-electing Obama? This was nothing but a choice between socialism and free-market capitalism. Never thought I would live to see Americans vote to be socialist! Don’t look at Greece ’cause you will see where we are headed.

GENERAL PETRAEUS, repeat after me: “This is my weapon, this is my gun.”

SPEAKING ON BEHALF of the president, I want to thank Fox News, Rush Limbaugh and The Chronicle for their help in ushering in Democrats both locally and nationwide.

REGARDLESS OF WHO we are, a person deserves to be treated with respect. President Obama is his name. Even if you do not like it, please respect him, his name, his position and title as the president of the United States.

HISTORY REPEATS itself. Once again Wall Street and big bankers have convinced the common person that 1 or 2 percent is an acceptable return on their investment. Meanwhile, obscene commissions and bonuses are still being siphoned from the billions of dollars they control.

RANT TO THOSE WHO place the blame of America’s ills on President Obama. “Blaming the prince of the fools should not blind anyone to the vast confederacy of fools that made him their prince. The Republic can survive a Barack Obama. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president.”

ISN’T IT INTERESTING that one day after the elections Savannah River Site announces furloughs?

YES, WE NEED DRUG testing for welfare and food stamp recipients. There are already so many dang groups giving away free food, clothes and other items, freeloaders can get enough there, even as hoarders. I’ve seen so-called homeless people who now have a place in a shelter who own more and different clothes than I can afford. I have clothes with slight holes because I’d rather pay my bills on time all the time than please people’s eyes with new clothing on me.

GGpap
GGpap 11/22/12 - 10:26 pm
SICK OF HEARING, and “Blaming...prince of the fools should not..

Sounds like bitterly sour grapes from a couple of very poor misguided losers. :-(

GGpap

GGpap
GGpap 11/22/12 - 10:56 pm
SPEAKING ON BEHALF of the president, I want to thank....

Let's not forget to thank Grover Norquist and his army of elected representatives in the Senate and the House (AKA obstructionists) that pledged their loyalty to Norquist as they turned their back on their constituents back home.

GGpap

Fools_and_sages
Fools_and_sages 11/22/12 - 10:56 pm
Hypocrites

So many Augustans claim to be Christians so I'm certain that some of you so-called Christians are the ones who write in this column (or comment on it) regularly about taking away from the poor, hating gays, hating minorities, hating non-Christians, hating Obama, etc. In the brand of Christianity I was brought up with, HATE was not part of the belief system. We were taught tolerance and charity. We were taught to refrain from judging others lest we face judgment as well. We were also taught not to cast stones because none of us are without sin. If you can't let God judge those you think deserve judgment, if you can't give charity to the sick and poor, and if you can't be tolerant of people who don't share your beliefs or your skin color, you might not actually be Christian. In fact, you might want to really stop and think about what values you entertain because the hatred, intolerance, selfishness, and prejudice that is rampant in this community are aligned more with Satan's ideals than the ideals of either God's or Jesus'.

Retired Army
Retired Army 11/22/12 - 11:40 pm
Little Lamb
Little Lamb 11/23/12 - 12:03 am
Variances

This story is not getting much traction in the Columbia County News-Times, so maybe some of you R&R folks will read it and comment over there or here on the R&Rs.

Basically, Columbia County passed an ordinance a couple of years ago that a subdivision developer must put in any promised amenities (clubhouse, swimming pool, walking trails, etc.) when the subdivision gets sold approximately 50%. Well, the developer in the link (a guy named Conn) appealed to the planning commission to absolve him of that requirement. Take a look and see what you think:

Please don't make me keep my promises

allhans
allhans 11/23/12 - 03:02 am
Two o'clock in the morning

Two o'clock in the morning and reading the comments makes me feel good all over. A laugh a minute, huh. )-:

LL...An interesting situation...Keep us updated.

allhans
allhans 11/23/12 - 03:55 am
I have prayed and dug deep

I have prayed and dug deep and I have yet to see any thing to indicate that placing a heavier burden on a man who works so that the government can support those who refuse to work is doing the "right thing".
My Bible says help those in need, so that is exactly what christians freely do.

#1---"To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven:"

Trouble
Trouble 11/23/12 - 03:30 am
rant 1

2 words......free will

wayne2410
wayne2410 11/23/12 - 07:05 am
His name is obama, or messiah

His name is obama, or messiah to the libs, and I will call him a socialist self absorbed narccisist who I have no respect for if I want. If rant #5 does not like it, too bad. Consider it a trade off for all my money you liberals are stealing from me and other conservatives to feed your welfare babies and lazy fathers and mothers of them.

Riverman1
Riverman1 11/23/12 - 07:09 am
Rant Number 5

I respect the office of President of the United States and would show the President courtesy if I should ever meet him. Everyone who ever served in the military learns to respect "the rank." But his NAME is not President Obama, it is Barack Hussein Obama.

OpenCurtain
OpenCurtain 11/23/12 - 07:41 am
#3,4,5,& #7 With Each Fool or Socialist

Whether it be the control of a zipper on the mouth, the zipper on a pair pants or the zipper on the checkbook.

With each Fool or Socialist, America loses a little more of itself, dignity, honor, morals and its intended direction in the world.

Mr. Obama was voted in by people that believe in him, or his agenda. So this could very well make him a King of Fools.

He has so many voters with tingles running up their legs, that our nation is in high gear and headed down a slippery slope to a train wreck called socialism.

I am proud to be one of the 48%'ers , that did not vote for him.

harley_52
harley_52 11/23/12 - 08:39 am
"We were taught tolerance and charity....

.... We were taught to refrain from judging others lest we face judgment as well. We were also taught not to cast stones because none of us are without sin."

Christians are obliged, by the bible, to judge morality and to admonish immoral behavior. Practicing tolerance and charity does not include a requirement to accept evil behavior by others. Both the old, and the new testaments of the bible provide ample evidence of that.

Most Christians are capable of understanding that the biblical passages associated with tolerance and charity do not extend to all possible areas of immoral human behavior including, among others, murder, rape, theft, fraud, etc., which adversely impact other human beings.

seenitB4
seenitB4 11/23/12 - 09:25 am
Knitting

I might have to start knitting stuff.....get off this merry go round ....try to keep my wits about me.....

dichotomy
dichotomy 11/23/12 - 09:48 am
Apparently GGAP is not one

Apparently GGAP is not one who will have his assets seized by the "punish taxpayers and gimmee free stuff" gestapo.

Let's not forget to thank Democrat George Soros for financing the bringing down another capitalist system and moving us closer to the communist One World Government he wants to control. Grover Norquist is a patriotic hero compared to George Soros.

And as far as obstructionist, I personally hope the Republicans stand their ground and lock down government tight as Dick's hat band. According to the Democrats we are never going to win another election anyway so we might as well lame duck Obama from day one and keep him penned up for at least the next two years. If we forced sequestration at least for once we would have actually reduced spending. That's something the Democrats will NEVER do as long as there is a working taxpayer left to raise taxes on.

The goal of the Democrats is to take ALL income and ALL profits as taxes and give everyone food stamps, Section 8 type housing vouchers, Obamacare, and Obamaphone, a pot voucher, and maybe a cheap battery operated Chevrolet every 10 years or so. What else does a good communist need?

Jane18
Jane18 11/23/12 - 10:06 am
R & R's #1

You are correct! To accomplish HIS word, we are going to have some "cursings". Buuuttttttttt, we, as a people, brought it on ourselves. I'm not worried, I know how it will all end...one day!

allhans
allhans 11/23/12 - 11:06 am
30 out of the 50 governors

30 of the nation's 50 governors is Republican which proves the Tip O'Neill saying: "All politics is local".
We might lose a battle but the war is not yet over.

pearlthesquirrel
pearlthesquirrel 11/23/12 - 10:50 am
Rant # 1

Does this person believe that Darwinian evolution is "just a theory"?
Does this person believe that man walked on the Earth with dinosaurs?
Does this person believe that the Earth is 6,000 to 10,000 years old?
Does this person believe that the Sun revolves around the Earth?
Does this person believe that "man" was "created" by God?
Does this person believe "creationism / intelligent design" is the answer?
Does this person believe that anything has really changed after Rick Perry's Day of Fasting and Prayer For Our Nations Challenges held on Saturday, August 6, 2011 in Houston, Texas' Reliant Stadium?
Wait a minute, those are rhetorical questions - because the answer to all those questions would be a loud YES!
Augusta Georgia ain't no place to be - Nitty Gritty Dirt Band.
Peace out!

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 11/23/12 - 11:16 am
@ Harley

"I'm pretty sure using government to steal property from citizens and subverting both their freedoms and their God given rights qualifies as immoral behavior which SHOULD NOT be tolerated or celebrated by anybody, especially by Christians."

Absolutely true; but it is ill advised to always make it a "Christian" perspective rather than a perspective of what is right, good, and moral.

I say that because people who are not Christian, or "believers" who don't necessarily walk the walk, have gotten very put out with the more radical right who inject their religion into every conversation and political debate, and like the Taliban, would be delighted to force their views on everyone else through the power of government.

Sweet son
Sweet son 11/23/12 - 11:42 am
Hope all members of the R&R club.....

had a great Thanksgiving Day.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 11/23/12 - 11:50 am
Welfare drug testing

This is a right side of the aisle proposal I disagree with. It is prohibitively expensive, and unnecessarily intrusive on those who don't use drugs.

My approach would be to go after the problem with inspections of public housing. WE own that property and have every right to insist the premises stay clean and drug free, else you get kicked out to the street. Make it clear to every resident living there, they will receive regular spot checks and inspections of the property, including with drug dogs. If the place is a wreck or drugs are sniffed out, you have just become homeless.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 11/23/12 - 12:50 pm
"President" Obama?

Really? You really think it is a big deal to refer to him as "Obama" in casual conversation?? PLEASE!!

We referred to Bush as "Bush (or GWB)", Clinton "Clinton", Reagan, Carter, et al right on down the line by their last names and now it is a problem?

scooter2762
scooter2762 11/23/12 - 03:22 pm
Respect is earned. He hasn't

Respect is earned. He hasn't earned it.

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 11/23/12 - 04:06 pm
It amazes me the number of

It amazes me the number of people who mis-use the term "sour grapes."

harley_52
harley_52 11/23/12 - 07:35 pm
"Absolutely true; but it is ill advised....

....to always make it a "Christian" perspective rather than a perspective of what is right, good, and moral."

I agree with you completely. If my post seemed to highlight Christians it's because I was responding to a post which did the same thing. I totally agree it's a matter of right vs. wrong and not at all unique to Christianity. I also agree that religious zealots of any stripe can be a real problem and should never be pressed through the government.

I was trying to focus on the admonition against being "judgemental," which is, of course, a trick often used to try to convince Christians not to object to all manner of immoral behavior.

Solar 'farm' for Fort Gordon?

ATLANTA -- Georgia military installations at Fort Stewart, Fort Gordon, Fort Benning and Kings Bay will one day be housing solar farms that can make them independent of the power grid in ...