Rants & Raves

KUDOS TO WOODY MERRY and the other activists who are taking on crime in the Harrisburg area. It’s nice to see that their efforts so far are showing some positive results. Keep up the good work. There are a lot of people who admire what you are doing!

TO THE DEMOCRATS who once again handed Barack Obama the keys to America: There is an old adage, be careful what you wish for. You just might get it and find out it wasn’t what you thought it would be.

HERE ROUNDTREE IS GOING to Forsyth, Ga., for training for an office he has been elected to do. The overall election was about electing people who were not qualified, and this certainly applies to Roundtree.

“CANCER AWARENESS” should be recognized instead of breast cancer month. There are several forms of cancers other than breast cancer; let’s give recognition to all affected with all forms of this disease. Politicians reading this, react and make this happen!

IF ANYBODY ELSE owed taxes like Roundtree, they wouldn’t be sheriff.

WILL SOMEONE FROM AUGUSTA please get in touch with Herman Cain and remind him how fast they ran him from the presidential race?

IN THE PAST THREE months, Obama’s go-fers have written at least 600 new regulations to further destroy our Amer­ican way of life. There is no constitutional authority that allows for this. Obama just does it and the other two branches of government, Congress and the courts, sit on their duffs and watch freedom evaporate.

GOOD LUCK, Israel. You are in our prayers, but you will be on your own when you are attacked. The USA doesn’t even protect its own ambassadors anymore.

FLORIDA VOTERS DID the rest of the country a real disservice by putting Alan Grayson back in Congress. Even Joe Biden looks competent when compared to Grayson.

I LAUGHED OUT loud when I saw The Chronicle pic of Woody Merry with what looks to be a pistol on his belt. Deputy Dawg is in your ’hood and he’s packing!

ISN’T IT WONDERFUL that your veterinarian charges you over $2,000 for a 4-pound dog’s broken arm? I think it is ridiculous.

Retired Army
Retired Army 11/20/12 - 09:43 am
Brianamooney2984111/20/12 - 08:52 am

Briana, no matter how truthful and justified your post is, I'm willing to bet that the eye in the sky will be pulling it down very soon.

I have a special grandson and for what it's worth little Oscar is one of the greatest joys in all our lives. He doesn't know anger, hate, jealousy, rudeness, insecurity, fear or any other negative trait that I can think of.

And yet at 4 years old he brims with, joy, love, giggles, smiles and a fierce determination to overcome his inability to do simple physical things that just amazes me. I truly believe that God put this little guy in all of our lives as a testament to the FACT, that underneath it all, human beings are created in a state of positive "Yes We Can" and that the state of negativity that we see in others is a learned condition.

Because of distance, I didn't get to meet my grandson until he was 3 going on 4 years old. He and his little brother were napping when I arrived at my daughters home in Washington State. We watched them wake up just minutes later and within about two minutes or so, Oscar and I were best friends that had known each other forever. At 64 years old, I'm getting lessons on life from a child. How wonderful is that?

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 11/20/12 - 09:27 am
Vets

"You should get an estimate from your vet before any procedure is performed on your pet. If it is not in your budget then put the animal to sleep. We are not talking about human life here."

There were 7 of you who gave Jake downers for this comment. OK, what would YOU do if you could not afford the procedure to fix your pet?

There isn't a one of you who loves their pet any more than I do. I get teary eyed even thinking about the eventual day I lose him; but if I could not afford a life saving procedure I would just have to be merciful and euthanize him, as painful as that would be.

Again you downers, what do you propose happen?

justthefacts
justthefacts 11/20/12 - 09:50 am
Twinkies

That's all the 18,000 non negotiating union workers will be able to afford to eat. Ironic, huh?

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 11/20/12 - 09:36 am
"Gen. David Petraeus's

"Gen. David Petraeus's biographer and former mistress Paula Broadwell reportedly hit an AP photographer in the face with a car door on Monday."

Good. Those hyenas invading peoples' personal space deserve every bump and bruise they receive. I am very touchy about my privacy and staying out of any public notice; so I can't even imagine not being able to break wind outside without a microphone catching every note. I would probably just nut up and start shooting.

Retired Army
Retired Army 11/20/12 - 10:18 am
rebellious11/20/12 - 08:12 am

rebellious writes: "Oops there goes another rubber tree plant"

And a big thanks to Mr. Sinatra for well performed song.

Now, my experience with rubber trees came in 1968 at the little village of Lai Khe just southeast of the Parrots Beak RVN.

Some damn fool thought it would be a great idea to establish the 1st Infantry Division's base in the midst of one of Michelin Rubber's many plantations, providing the troops with some shelter from sun and rain. and of course the attendant flat ground and drainage ditches.

All sounds good and logical. Problem is that the trees tend to set off the fuses on the many 107 and 122MM rockets being lobbed at us daily and creating a much more efficient and deadly airburst of shrapnel.

Now we could have moved elswhere or, do as we did, which was to get the chain saws and det cord out and get busy.

So as a matter of perspective, the lyrics "Oops there goes another rubber tree" really has meaning to this old soldier.

KSL
KSL 11/20/12 - 09:45 am
Exactly right, LL

I can't imagine spending money I received as a result of the death of a child.

Your advice was excellent

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 11/20/12 - 09:48 am
Briana

I'm very sorry for your challenges with a disabled child, but as LL pointed out, I don't think you have a clear understanding of how insurance operates. Right now I am 58 years old with a tad of high blood pressure and a few extra pounds. If I could get life insurance it would be prohibitively expensive because the insurance company is making a losing bet. They know the likelihood of them collecting more premium from me than they have to pay out when I die is slim. They can't do business on losing bets like that. I don't know the nature of your child's disability, but insurers have determined the likelihood of them even breaking even is not good, thus they won't insure her/him.
Think of it like your car; if you have proven to be an extremely high risk by having accidents and tickets, you have a hard time finding a company to insure you at any price.
They just can't stay in business making bad bets.

rebellious
rebellious 11/20/12 - 10:06 am
Briana

There are companies which specialize in high risk lives. The general structure is for the first 2 years the policy will return premium with significant interest (as high as 24% in some cases). After 2 years the policy's benefits kick in. And unless you have savings put back substantial enough to cover final expenses, you should have a small policy on children. It costs roughly the same for a child funeral as an adult. What I do not recommend is a policy that allows a profit over and above the funeral expense. I call it guilt money, which infers the reason I advise against.

KSL
KSL 11/20/12 - 10:21 am
Why not just start a savings

Why not just start a savings account?

Retired Army
Retired Army 11/20/12 - 10:24 am
KSL11/20/12 - 09:45 am

KSL writes: I can't imagine spending money I received as a result of the death of a child."

And company's whose sole reason for existence is to make a profit in spite of the suffering and death of it's clientele are somehow more moral?

Disgusting!

dichotomy
dichotomy 11/20/12 - 10:27 am
RA......I'm still smarting

But just for you.....yes the market had an up day Friday. One up does not equal 7 down. 1000 down does not equal 200 up. It's all about the talk of a "cliff" deal right now. The adadge is "Buy on the rumor, sell on the news". Selling to follow no matter what they do. Note that the futures are down this morning. If they raise dividend tax rates....in addition to the 3.8% raise dividend tax increase ALREADY included in Obamacare.......SELL. If we go over the cliff with no deal.......SELL.

Here is what is going to hurt us.

The market will have some ups and downs. More than likely some steady downs after whatever happens with the "cliff". But the WSJ ariticle pointing out how businesses are scaling back does not bode well for 2013/2014. And when working people see their payroll taxes go up for Obamacare and their health insurance deductions increase, the spending will necessarily go down. Business spending down, personal spending down, government deficit spending continuing. Unemployment more than likely headed back up. No good news out there. The only thing that could fix part of this is if Obama and the Democrats would agree to significant spending cuts to go along with these tax increases they want. And I don't mean just DOD cuts either. There has to be significant cuts in social programs and other governmental agencies. But we all know they are not going to do that. And if the Democrats were serious about fixing things they would overhaul the tax code and have everyone putting something in the kitty. The 47% + a few liberal leaning independents can win an election but they cannot defy the laws of economics in the long term. Greece awaits and raising taxes enough to pay for 6 days of annual government spending will not save us.

Jane18
Jane18 11/20/12 - 10:51 am
R & R's #7

If I were a betting person, I would bet a dollar to a doughnut most people have not kept up with and read all these ''bills" with a clear understanding of the meanings or consequences!

Retired Army
Retired Army 11/20/12 - 10:59 am
Tea Party #3

You might be a member of the Tea Party if: You accuse President Obama of being a Muslim, yet condemn him for going to Jeremiah Wright’s Christian church.

Jane18
Jane18 11/20/12 - 11:03 am
itsanotherday1 @9:36am

Thank you for the laugh! I am still smiling........................

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 11/20/12 - 11:04 am
Give Obmama credit when due.

From Dichotomy's WSJ link (good read for everybody, btw) :

"President Barack Obama called a number of business executives over the weekend, including Warren Buffett, Apple Inc. AAPL -1.09% Chief Executive Tim Cook and J.P. Morgan Chase's JPM +0.74% James Dimon, to promote his solution to the looming budget crisis. All sides in Washington, in a departure from a year of deep divisions, have pledged to work together and compromise to avoid going over the cliff."

At least he is reaching out to people who are informed and not ideologues. It says he was promoting HIS solution, but I'm sure they gave feedback. I pray he listens if they did, and I pray Congress on both sides are serious about compromise.

This fiscal cliff may be a blessing in disguise, forcing ideologues to come to the middle in good faith in order to save us all.

KSL
KSL 11/20/12 - 11:24 am
What is disgusting RA

Is your insinuation that the company is making a profit from the death and suffering of its clientele. They are hopefully making a profit from selling insurance.

Retired Army
Retired Army 11/20/12 - 11:31 am
dichotomy writes:

dichotomy writes: "RA......I'm still smarting from your little tirade of "bigots and racists" name calling Saturday night."

Now, now! Go back to the original post and see where it really says that there are plenty of good Republicans, but that they have made common cause with the fringe elements of bigots, racists and misogynists within their ranks and anyone with a lick of sense knows it. Heck, many in the Republican party are owning up to it and I'm glad to see it.

Look, I'm a diehard Liberal Democrat. I believe that it's ingrained into me by both training and life experience. I hate hypocrisy more than any other trait, because it is used to justify any number of bad human behaviors.

I'm also practical enough to know that a strong conservative movement is still needed not because I believe in backward thinking, but because good civil conservative conversation keeps us from becoming lazy.

Now, I will respond to ridiculous fear based bombast with either sarcasm or intensity(really hurts our moderators feelings when I do)depending on the level outrageous or foolishness of the post. we're supposed to do that(speak our minds) or give up the God given gift of free will and logic of thought. Not much of a choice to me.

I'm also smart enough to know that none of us can change the "true believers". But we can inform the uninformed, using whatever talent God gives us.

Retired Army
Retired Army 11/20/12 - 11:34 am
dichotomy writes:

Dadgummed, blippity, sticky, double post, computer glitches. hell, I'm tired of apologizing for something I have no control over, so I won't.

KSL
KSL 11/20/12 - 11:36 am
Itsanotherday

Retired Army
Retired Army 11/20/12 - 11:38 am
KSL writes: "Why not just

KSL writes: "Why not just start a savings account?"

My gosh, that sounds just like Nancy Regan's answer to homelessness. "Just buy a house". Damn, why didn't all of us think of that?

Retired Army
Retired Army 11/20/12 - 11:42 am
Oh, that's right we need

Oh, that's right we need solutions not critiques.

So, all you poor people living on Government food stamps and welfare out there who are too "lazy' to work, start buying great Northern beans instead of Pinto beans. They're about 15 cents a bag less and you can put that into a savings account.

KSL
KSL 11/20/12 - 11:45 am
And the premiums were going

And the premiums were going to be zero?

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 11/20/12 - 12:04 pm
Gerber, some more

KSL had the best idea, Briana. Start a savings account with whatever Gerber's life insurance premiums would have been.

Now, if you think it is a good probability that your daughter will go to college, then you could set up one of those state-backed, tax-deferred college savings accounts. If college is an iffy proposition for your Downs Syndrome child, just go with making monthly deposits into a savings account. Switch over to a Vanguard index mutual fund when you get about twenty thousand in the account, then keep on socking those monthly deposits.

KSL
KSL 11/20/12 - 04:56 pm
RA

Didn't you serve under Reagan? You might want to edit his wife's name.

allhans
allhans 11/20/12 - 04:59 pm
I had a Downs syndrome nephew

I had a Downs syndrome nephew that died at age 16. His parents never tried to get insurance, they wanted to believe he would live forever.
The father worked as a welder, (he too has now passed on) in Sandersville...his co-workers and members of his church paid for all expenses. It was a wonderful thing.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 11/20/12 - 06:28 pm
@ KSL

"Most all, if not all of the people he consulted are huge Obama and democrat contributors. Nothing new there."

I'm willing to consider that regardless of who they contributed to, these are successful business leaders that would not shoot themselves in the foot with advice that is contrary to promoting an economy that is good for business.

There comes a time when I listen less to politicians and more to common sense. As an example, no president of any party would start a war under a pretense that he knew would be proven false. (Iraq). Does anyone with an iota of common sense really believe that Bush was willing to go to war over WMD, knowing that when we conquered them there would be no WMD? REALLY?? If I thought for a second he did that I would be calling for his imprisonment.

KSL
KSL 11/20/12 - 09:39 pm
Excellent point. And what an

Excellent point. And what a lot of people on both sides could be dragged along with him, if true.