Historic Augusta honors preservation efforts

Monday, Nov. 19, 2012 9:53 AM
Last updated 9:40 PM
  • Follow Metro

Eight recipients received Preservation Awards from Historic Augusta at its annual meeting. The awards are presented for outstanding historical preservation projects.

In addition to the eight awards, Historic Augusta announced its new Friend of Preservation Award to honor founders, the late Glascock Bush and Marie Battey Bush. This posthumous award was received by their son Whatley Bush and his family.

Recipients of the Preservation Award

• The Red Star Building, 531 James Brown Blvd., built about 1921, owned by Red Star LLC, features four residential apartments in the rear of the building and available commercial space. The building was saved from near collapse through this significant rehabilitation.

• 1429 Monte Sano, built 1901, owned by David Dunagan, this quaint cottage now provides offices for his business. Prior to the rehab, the house was hidden behind thick bushes and was in a state of disrepair. The project is a certified rehabilitation utilizing state and federal tax credit programs.

• Wier/Stewart, 982 Broad St., owned by Alex Wier and Daniel Stewart, built 1916 as one of six identical buildings constructed by the J.B. White estate. The space now occupied by the graphic design and Web development firm features an original pressed metal ceiling.

• Dunbar-Howard House, 314 Greene St., owned by Rex Property and Land. Constructed about 1900, this large Victorian house with Queen Anne elements was certified for rehabilitation tax credits. The former bed and breakfast has been converted to residential apartments.

• Robertson Restoration, this business owned by Heard and Martha Robertson of Augusta, has successfully rehabilitated three houses while implementing national preservation standards. The homes include 1312 Milledge Road, 1219 Meigs St., and 1202 Hickman Road.

• Olde Town Health Center at the Widow’s Home, 124 Greene St. Christ Community Health Services began rehabilitation of this historic building in 2007 and a ribbon cutting was held in 2011. The original building, built in 1887, remains intact while a sensitive modern addition was added to the southern façade in an effort to increase the organization’s ability to serve the surrounding community.

• Henry-Cohen House, 920 Greene St. Purchased by Mark Donahue of Peach Contractors, this Italianate-style house, built about 1853, is a certified historic rehabilitation with six apartments. When it was purchased in early 2012, the house was condemned and facing a bleak future, but it has been gracefully restored its original appearance.

• Cottage Cemetery, located in south Augusta, this 200-year-old cemetery was threatened by severe vandalism and lack of maintenance. Efforts began in recent years to restore the broken headstones and document the graves throughout the cemetery, which contains some of Augusta’s most prominent citizens. Today the cemetery is once again a dignified resting place for those buried there.


Loading...