Rants & Raves

RAVES TO THE Chron­i­cle! Your editorial recommendations made the losers the winners!

MY STOVE IS BROKE and I don’t have any heat and everybody in the world is calling wanting something for something. Now, who do I call?

MR. PRESIDENT, I know that there is no advantage to you now that the election is over, but it would mean a lot to those who are still hurting real bad in the region hit by Sandy if you could visit again to console them. Oh, I forgot that you have to run off now to some foreign country which needs you more!

REPUBLICANS AND Demo­crats have cooperated over decades, cooperated in destroying our freedom, stealing our money, throwing us to the wolves. Both parties are controlled by bums who will do anything as long as they can find a personal payoff of either money or ego.

NOW THAT OBAMA has been re-elected, either Iran will have a nuclear bomb or Israel will have to destroy it themselves.

ACTUALLY, I THINK more people voted to save Big Bird than they did to keep the current regime in office.

WHAT CAN I DO? My smartphone is smarter than I am?

YEARLY CITY TAXES: $275. Yearly county taxes: $450. Monthly water, trash & sewage: $85. Living in a city/county that actually works: Priceless. Thanks, North Augusta/Aiken.

RANT TO THE CURRENT panel of the Columbia County Board of Equalization. They are totally incompetent or were handpicked to assist the assessor’s office in artificially inflating some property values as much as 10 to 15 percent even though property values have decreased the past three years.

I LIVE IN SOUTH Augusta. We have Section 8 houses in the neighborhood where I live, which is McDuffie Woods. There is trash in the street, windows broken, the neighborhood is going down. We do not need Cherry Tree Crossing in south Augusta.

IS THERE A LAW in Columbia County that they can’t have any Democrats running? We only have Republicans. Does this seem right?

THREE CHEERS for Depu­ty Kenneth Mercer. I am so glad he is out there protecting me.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 11/18/12 - 09:45 pm
Unions didn't have anything to do with

Hostess failing. Oh yea?

"Hostess is saddled with 372 collective bargaining agreements, 80 different health and pension benefit plans and workers’ compensation costs that last year hit $52 million–which works out to over $2700 for each of its 19,000 employees."

Despite this unsustainable situation, Smith notes that union was so intransigent it refused to even give up paid holidays on workers birthdays, an odd benefit that almost no companies provide. Also, the union work rules at Hostess were near farcical:

Ridiculous union work rules that are consciously engineered to increase inefficiency and create superfluous jobs are making Hostess uncompetitive with other industry players. If cakes and bread arrive together and are headed to the same place, they must nevertheless be split onto separate trucks; drivers are forbidden to load products onto their trucks."

Allow me to explain that to the illiterates. If Twinkies and Wonderbread were going to the same store, they had to be delivered by two different trucks.

Riverman1
Riverman1 11/18/12 - 10:19 pm
Twinkies and Wonder Bread Together a Sin

The union doesn't allow Twinkies and Wonder Bread on the same truck together. It's almost like a taboo cultural thing where you can't mix certain foods on the same dish.

scgator
scgator 11/19/12 - 12:06 am
That is why I got out of

That is why I got out of Unions; when I was in the Operating Engineers working as a heavy equipment mechanic, I was told that I could not clean my work area up because I was taking a job away from a laborer; and I was told that I could not clean up parts for reassembly, because that was an apprentice job. While @ SRS, in the Dupont days, I was told that when I performed a brake job on a standard 1/2 ton pickup truck that I was not allowed to take more than 5 working days on it, but had to take at least 3 days. THEN several years later, I joined the Carpenter & Millwright's local, and it was even WORSE !!!

Retired Army
Retired Army 11/19/12 - 01:40 am
Good Morning All

Why, here it is Day # 13 and despite numerous predictions to the contrary the sky has yet to fall.

The Countdown to Hillary's Innauguration? 1,504.

Retired Army
Retired Army 11/19/12 - 09:58 am
Twinkies?

Naw, it couldn't be that the company was making an unhealthy product and folks with any sense at all, quit eating or feeding them to their kids, or worse yet died off young from bad eating habits? You know diabetes and such? Nope, not here in the land of the free market forces where capitalists are king.

You don't think that a company who failed the market, would fail? How many of you would/do pay good money for a superior product? I know I will. Sorry folks, Twinkies weren't on my list, but here is the good news. Seems some entrepenur's are looking at buying the name, shipping the manufacturing process to China or India and then bringing them back to your local store. Could work to, with the shelf life and the chemical preservants the Chinese can get away with without our FDA to watch over them.

Can we get an Amen for the cancer to be added to the list of diseases from eating Twinkies?

Retired Army
Retired Army 11/19/12 - 01:55 am
Tea Party Day 2

You might be a member of the Tea Party if You accuse a decorated Vietnam veteran of “cutting and running.”

carcraft
carcraft 11/19/12 - 03:12 am
You maybe a member of a Ruin

You maybe a member of a ruin America party if your party elected an eight time convicted felon to public office! You may be a member of a ruin America party if you elected a person to congress that thinks Guam is gong to tip over. You may be a member of ruin America party if you think a bill needs to become law before you can know what's in it!

rebellious
20737
rebellious 11/19/12 - 03:35 am
Hey RA

They sky does not fall quickly because it is a long ways up! So count the days as long as it shoots a breeze up your skirt or floats your boat. Frankly after the 3rd day, I find it to be trivial and a bit vindictive and annoying, but Obama did say revenge was at the polls, so there you go. The truth is any failing of a society does not happen instantaneously. So poke fun all you want, but remember the words you use today may have to be eaten tomorrow.

Tullie
Tullie 11/19/12 - 05:17 am
RAs comment on Twinkies

I guess you didn't see the blurb on TV where they fry the Twinkies at the Teaxas State Fair and sell a almost 100,000 of them?

Some folks do have enough sense to work sweets and junk food into their diet as they were meant to be.

Although, looking at some of the pictures online here you kinda wonder....

seenitB4
seenitB4 11/19/12 - 08:21 am
Big Bird

I too think Big Bird had a lot to do with the outcome of this election.......there are some things we have to keep....& the bird is staying!..
Twinkies can go......& probably will end up in Mexico..

seenitB4
seenitB4 11/19/12 - 08:25 am
RA watch out

Watch what you gloat over today......ya just might be eating some words B4 you know it.....just saying....salt & pepper please....

Trouble
Trouble 11/19/12 - 08:27 am
twinkies

there was a time when i worked for a bread company delivering bread (yea, i drove one of those big trucks......scary huh?) i loaded my own truck, and i carried snack cakes and bread on the same truck, they (the snack cakes and bread) never once got into a fight, and as far as i could tell, there was never a cross word between them.

where i work now, hostess was delivered by the same guy who delivered chips and bread too.........(he was an independent contractor though) however, the bread that he delivered was not wonder bread, (which i did wonder about). notice how i used the past tense, as hostess is no longer anywhere to be found in my workplace (i have looked).

thank you unions for insisting on idiotic rules and destroying an institution.

seenitB4
seenitB4 11/19/12 - 08:30 am
Your smartphone is smarter

Weeelll join the club.....my puter is smarter & knows it too.....everyday I wake up wondering what surprises I have in store for me....will it change my google bar again....will it go back to the home page I can't stand.....will it throw a tizzy fit on me if I don't play stupid loud pop music it likes......I think country music makes it mad & to get back at me it changes everything I like on here...
This happens.....no more toshiba for me...

Trouble
Trouble 11/19/12 - 08:32 am
ra

i am not a member of the tea party, and i respect and am thankful for all those who have served, being a vietnam veteran does not exempt one from having their stupid mistakes pointed out.

Trouble
Trouble 11/19/12 - 08:36 am
oops

if yall wont give me points, i will get them myself by double posting...........lol

seenitB4
seenitB4 11/19/12 - 08:34 am
Snack cakes & bread got along together ??

Well now....they were just behaving because they knew you would beat the snot out of them if they didn't...that's why...

I can just see ya in a big ole truck.....betcha you were a good driver..:)

Trouble
Trouble 11/19/12 - 08:39 am
snack cakes and bread

amazingly enough, i never once heard any of the guys complain about them fighting on their trucks either.

maybe it is just a long running feud (think hatfields and mccoys) between the twinkies and the wonder bread.....

seenitB4
seenitB4 11/19/12 - 08:48 am
Christmas without Andy

I thought they were talking about Andy Griffith.....I will miss Griffith the most...I know GOB will too....one of his favorites.....some just can't be replaced...Griffith--Barney---Carol Burnett Show--the actors on her show....All in the Family.....why don't we have that type program anymore....what happened to good quality comics...

now we have to depend on the comics on here...lately they have been slacking some...I guess the election brought them down..

justthefacts
justthefacts 11/19/12 - 08:51 am
Ignore

Some people post things just to get attention. Acknowledging the childish behavior only encourages it. My two cents.

justthefacts
justthefacts 11/19/12 - 08:54 am
Quality comics?

Modern Family is pretty funny. Big Bang Theory is as funny as any show I can remember. Two and 1/2 men was better with Sheen, but is still humorous. In the Middle..OK. A few others...offer some chuckles.

seenitB4
seenitB4 11/19/12 - 08:56 am
Big Bang?

When does that come on....others have said it was good.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 11/19/12 - 08:58 am
Good Morning Hovering Black Cloud America

B4, it's not your Toshiba. It's your programs that upgrade periodically, Like Incredimail, Weather Bug, Webshots and many more.When you allow it to upgrade, look for those little square boxes with a check mark in it that says "make (whatever) your homepage or (search engine). Unclick it and you will not have those problems.

seenitB4
seenitB4 11/19/12 - 09:00 am
About RA

It is hard for me to ignore RA.....he is smarter than he posts...me thinks....I think he pretends to be a die hard dem...but underneath that outside his core will play the field in politics....he is more country than he lets us know......he probably was raised on cat fish & hush puppies......
I wiil say there are some minds on here that fascinate me...he is one of them..
I have always been attracted to out of the norm types anyway...:)

Trouble is another one...Hahaha

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 11/19/12 - 09:02 am
B4

I think we have "many" comics on here but definitely not the quality of those you spoke of. More like the Hammer & Sickle Man type.

Trouble
Trouble 11/19/12 - 09:03 am
cg

if she does that, she will not be so entertaining on here when she posts about her computer turning on her.....

seenitB4
seenitB4 11/19/12 - 09:04 am
Nerd

The last nerd I had here working said that too CGEE...are you a nerd too & I never knew it......funny....cause you don't look like a nerd..:)

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 11/19/12 - 09:06 am
There's Nothing

wrong with RA that 2 shots of "Reserve" and an OXY would cure.

Trouble
Trouble 11/19/12 - 09:10 am
cleaning

time for me to get domestic..........yall have fun

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 11/19/12 - 09:11 am
You May Be Right, Trouble

Can't you see it now, Headlines in AC

"Toshiba Rapes A Be Four"

justthefacts
justthefacts 11/19/12 - 09:13 am
Big Bang

It was Monday, but I believe it moved to Thursday.

'Do not swim' order lifted for Savannah River

Officials have lifted the "do not swim" order for the Savannah River, but questions still linger on the unknown substance's origin.