Rants & Raves

Comments from readers:

AS IF IT IS NOT bad enough that we have to wait 17 minutes during rush-hour traffic for the train to clear River Watch Parkway, some idiot pulls up into traffic and rattles everybody’s windows with his obnoxious, loud and profane music.

EVEN IN ‘CRIMSON TIDE’ (the movie) the old, cantankerous conservative lost out to the progressive who was smarter and more articulate. The movie was poetic justice, but showcased a never-ending cycle of cronyism that exists in true form in our politics today.

THE TERRORIST rampage on Nov. 5, 2009, at Ford Hood, Texas, caused 13 people to die and injuries to two dozen more. The government has the audacity to call the act “workplace violence.” Kudos to those who are now suing the government for compensation for the attack. Also, let’s get on with the trial of the terrorist Nidal Hasan, who caused all of the havoc, and stop dragging things out.

I THOUGHT newscasters were supposed to keep their opinions to themselves when it comes to their political choices. Sweet as he is, it seems inappropriate for Harley Drew to give his personal thoughts on this matter, and the other announcers should also edit their stories to remain free of bias. Save it for the talk shows.

A LAWYER FOR a Mexican national argued before the Georgia Supreme Court this month that the law that requires a person to have a Georgia-issued license to drive is unconstitutional because it discriminates against non-Georgia citizens (e.g., illegal immigrants). Is this a joke or what?

RANT TO ALL naysayers in regard to the new elected officials. It’s done! It’s time for positive participation to help our city, county and nation. It’s not time for negative, hateful and divisive comments that will not help in solving issues.

THANKS TO OLIN for closing down its chlorine plant and the use of mercury here in Augusta. I know the loss of about 80 jobs is sad and will have an impact, but mercury would have serious consequences for the people in our community if the plant continued.

RANT TO ALL the people who decided to get upset on Belair Road and Hereford Farm while I sat there broken down in my car. Thanks a lot for stopping and asking if I needed help.

Comments (81)

seenitB4
seenitB4 11/14/12 - 04:21 pm

RM

Sometimes he goes for the laugh I think & he doesn't even know it..same person 3 different times---drinking were you...hahah

F4therTime
F4therTime 11/14/12 - 04:24 pm

I love how...

He moves the boundaries around as his suits his dribble...Sometimes the CBD includes the Kroc center but not the crime infested part of Harrisburg and since when did 15th, MLK and Milledgeville Road become South Augusta??? The TEE center as it stands is not what voters passed and you won't even admit that. The Laney Walker Blackmail vote is never brought up and the Riverwalk is why people visit Augusta? Really? You honestly put that? HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

seenitB4
seenitB4 11/14/12 - 04:27 pm

individual homes

I will give him that the homes in west augusta are nice-costly-etc....& I'm sure the owners are fairly wealthy but what some are not figuring in this is that the land acreage in south Augusta is HUGE....timber is costly also....worth millions .....also just like RM said the many businesses in Southside pay enormous taxes....all in all it probably evens out...

Riverman1
Riverman1 11/14/12 - 04:37 pm

West Augusta is nice and part

West Augusta is nice and part of Martinez. It's hard to tell where the county line is. LL lives there in a beautiful neighborhood. But South Augusta is just so much bigger and has lots of the major industries paying lots of taxes, in addition to more people in lots more homes. But maybe Countyman has some kind of statistic that would be interesting to see? I dunno?

Riverman1
Riverman1 11/14/12 - 04:40 pm

SeenIt said in reference to

SeenIt said in reference to the Riverwalk: "i betcha didn't see ksl there either time....or dichotomy or rebel or cgee or me...."

Y'all just ain't diversified and sophisticated like Countyman and me.

dichotomy
dichotomy 11/14/12 - 04:41 pm

TEE

countyman......The TEE was approved by the citizens based on a total LIE about how much it would cost, total concealment of the clandestine back room agreements that had already been made for operation, NO mention of the Marriott, NO mention of million dollar a year losses, NO mention of building crap with our money on land we don't own. If you brought it back up for a vote today it would FAIL miserably. And even after being approved, the project was SO FULL OF CORRUPTION and MISMANAGEMENT that it still would never have gotten built if the black commissioners hadn't sold their votes for blackmail money. So if you are proud that it passed back then you must be PROUD THAT THE CITY OF AUGUSTA GOVERNMENT IS FULL OF INTENTIONAL LIARS, DECEIT, BACKROOM DEALS, and BLACKMAIL VOTE SWAPPING. It passed THEN but it would not pass NOW and, I sincerely hope that another SPLOST never passes in this "CITY" again. This was a crooked deal from the first day Billy whispered it into Paul's ear. The taxPAYERS were lied to and misled from day one by either very stupid, very gullible, or very crooked commissioners, administators, and lawyers. Fortunately for you, you have a very gullible electorate when thier leadership misleads them for profit.

"The money being spent in Laney Walker/Bethlehem($37.5 million over fifty years) development is the result of tourist, and not local tax payers."

Oh, you mean the $37.5 million that was used as the blackmail to buy votes so we could give Paul $40 or $50 million. Well, hey, that makes everything better. So the black commissioners took a payoff to screw the rest of the taxpayers and the fact that their money comes from the hotel tax that was supposed to be used for the whole county makes everything okay. Not in my book!!!!!! We've raised plenty of revenue and the whole county ought to be prospering and have a big budget surplus but it's all been blown on Paul's TEE and Laney Walker. We've addend tax after tax after tax and revenue is starting to decrease. YOU have ruined the entire South end of the county by total neglect. With all of the money you have wasted and taxes you have raised nobody wants to come here and even our own citizens are going other places to shop. Way to go you urban redevelopment tax raising fruitcakes. Now the people you have been draining and ignoring for 17 years are flipping you the bird and shopping elsewhere. We hoping to sue you over your illegal property tax system and the illegal fees you are adding on to our property tax bills.

As for Diamond Lakes.....it's a park....just a park. Probably liked by some but totally useless as far as I'm concerned. I can't shop there, I can't eat there, it fosters no development, and it's too far away for me to even notice it. If you think that Diamond Lakes impresses the majority of the taxpayers in South Richmond County I think you are sadly mistaken. It's just a damned park....nice to have but does nothing for us. I'll trade you the whole thing for a new driveway culvert and getting the 24/7/365 ugly, muddy, dangerous, rat infested ditch in front of my property piped off and covered.

EVERYTHING IS CHEAPER IN NORTH AUGUSTA AND THE PRICE OF GAS MAKES THE TRIP WORTH IT.......and shopping there is safer. Tell them to put TSPLOST where the sun don't shine and save money doing it. You can't shop where there are no stores and you can't eat where there are no restaurants. Take a leisurely drive to North Augusta where your money goes farther. Psst....by the way.....don't tell them you live in South Augusta because they chuckle at you out of pity.

seenitB4
seenitB4 11/14/12 - 04:46 pm

doodly squat

Squat is what he knows about land & timber....if he did know anything he wouldn't put such outrageous quotes about south Augusta.....a few acres in timber can bring in the 1000s.....not to mention hundreds of acres....the difference is ....the south Augusta folks don't wear their wealth....don't look the part....don't drive the big fancy cars....but I know some & know what they are worth...blows my mind but I do understand why they are satisfied with their way of life....
Gotta go now.....I'm married to one of those kind of guys btw....happy with my good ole boy.....:)

seenitB4
seenitB4 11/14/12 - 04:50 pm

whooaaa that was a goodie...

Y'all just ain't diversified and sophisticated like Countyman and me.

Riverman1
Riverman1 11/14/12 - 04:58 pm

Dichotomy, Know What Bothers Me?

F4therTime
F4therTime 11/14/12 - 04:59 pm

100 Thumbs up...

again for Dichotomy. Sadly we will hear about 5 guys and starbucks instead of the screwing South Augusta gets...

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 11/14/12 - 05:35 pm

DOW -185

Full time to part time....Just can't wait for the unemployment report comes in.....Ah Yes, No Shot Fired Revolution! Love it.

dichotomy
dichotomy 11/14/12 - 05:35 pm

Retired Army......the sky is

Retired Army......the sky is still up there and the sun came up this morning BUT.....the stock market went down another 185 points today. Hello....do you see an trend here. You keep looking up at the sky because the Obama economy is fixing to bite you in the butt.

5% of the nation's wealth evaporated in 8 days because we re-elected this dipstick. Layoffs being announced in droves.

And now, Obama the lying communist, is asking for TWICE the amount of new taxes. Oh yeh, sounds like he's reaching across the aisle and working with the opposition to me. He may get twice the tax rate increases but he isn't going to get as much revenue as we had last year. I was hoping for a reasonable deal. Now I hope the Congress stands it's ground, we go over the cliff, and then we can start from a clean slate after the riots. I'm stocked up and locked and loaded. I think I can survive it. News headlines today: Austerity Measures Sweeping Europe. Pay close attention because the same policies that got them where they are today are Obama's policies. High taxes on the wealthy and business and huge social welare programs. We have arrived in Europe. Riots at 11:00.

Zero confidence in this incompetent liar. We've pretty much wiped out all gains for 2012 and will soon be into 2011. Not going to be much "rich folks" revenue to tax this April 15. Hope you Democrats have got a plan to pay the bills. I'm thinking them "rich folks" you hate so much are hanging you out to dry. I applaud them. You have declared war on people with which you are totally unequipped to fight.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 11/14/12 - 05:41 pm

dichotomy

Ain't it nice to know us bad minority lost but still have the power....I too will survive not matter what the Hammer & Sickle throws at me.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 11/14/12 - 05:45 pm

dichotomy

did you watch the press conference....3 words, Sick, Lies & Cover up.

What I really couldn't stand was the American Flag displayed next to a Muslin Shower Curtain.

KSL
KSL 11/14/12 - 05:47 pm

You used to be able to see me

You used to be able to see me on River Walk often on a Friday or Saturday night. That was then. It was landscaped, crowded at night with families, a very clean and friendly place. Safe, too. Enjoyed the King George. Great end to the week and worth the drive. Sad to see that gone.

countyman
countyman 11/14/12 - 05:50 pm

Riverman..... Are you really

Riverman..... Are you really question whether or not West Augusta is richer? All of the people working at the factories in South Augusta don't actually live there. The Village at Riverwatch and Augusta Exchange are located in West Augusta. Since you live in the Martinez area you get to see the money in West Augusta everyday. I don't have a bias like you so I'll admit Martinez is one of the richest areas in the CSRA. I'll hope you'll admit Martinez has the worst part of Washington rd compared to West Augusta or Evans. West Augusta= Augusta National/Pleasant Home rd, Martinez= Pleasant Home rd/Club Car, and Evans= Club Car/going past Greenbrier. I'll also hope you'll admit the area of West Augusta looks better than Martinez along Bobby Jones/I-520 too. West Augusta= Sams, Rooms to Go, Home Depot, Marlin & Rays, Bealls, etc. Martinez= Aldi, Golden Corral, Lowes, Walmart, etc.

I think you need to visit the Riverwalk on Saturday during the Augusta Market, or Candlelight Jazz on Sunday nights.

Seenitb4.. Please tell me the number 1 tourist attraction in Augusta? The multiple tennis events held at the Newman Tennis Center, etc are great for the local economy. They don't hold a candle to the US Cycling National Championships, ESI Ironman, gay parade and festival, Arts in the Heart, hispanic festival, Westobou, Southern National, Par 3 Party, greek festival, mayors masters reception, etc in the CBD.

countyman
countyman 11/14/12 - 05:53 pm

I never include the Kroc

I never include the Kroc Center in the CBD. The facility is clearly located in the Harrisburg neighborhood. Millegdeville rd is clearly apart of South Augusta.

West Augusta is not apart of the Martinez area.

Riverman1
Riverman1 11/14/12 - 06:02 pm

Countyman, is it your

Countyman, is it your contention that West Augusta pays more total taxes than the whole of South Augusta? What are you basing that assumption on? Remember the huge industries in the very large South Augusta do pay taxes. There's just so much more tax paying entities out there. I'll also guess there's a much larger population in the total South Augusta area.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 11/14/12 - 06:07 pm

d

How did you do on trade today, shorted 5000 on 3 stocks for a loss of -17. Just love this No Shot Fired.

I'm pulling out of trading the end of the year, I'm not going to pay one penny more to the SCDK and associate friends because of the Capital Gain increase.

Riverman1
Riverman1 11/14/12 - 06:10 pm

Parts of West Augusta are

Parts of West Augusta are considered part of Martinez. There have been newspaper articles on that. Same zip and post office named Martinez PO.

rebellious
rebellious 11/14/12 - 06:11 pm

Matching wits with Countyman

seems to be like shooting an unarmed man!

I feel better from reading his posts. It makes me realize howvery, very fortunate we are to live out here. The amenities (factories, mfg, um....Diamond Lakes) we have at our fingertips are in demand everyday for my family.

@ seenit......The voters don't want someone to speak for them. I know what they don't want, can't figure out what they do want.

So, those of us with eyes, ears and brains will continue to be amazed at the results of elections and the ensuing actions of aforementioned officials.

In reality, it is probably unrealistic to expect 1 out of 10 commissioners to be able to impact change and drive any appreciable action to the neglected out this way.

But there is always the spector of that secession from the city by a contiguous group of property owners and taxpayers. Would take beau coup money to finance the legal and marketing issues. Hmmm, maybe I need to start talking to some Real Estate magnates who would stand to gain through a thriving real estate market out here.

F4therTime
F4therTime 11/14/12 - 06:25 pm

Milledgeville road

Has never been considered South Augusta...obviously you are not a long time resident...and you definition of the CBD must be like a 5 block area. So we South Augustans get taxed out the wazoo to pay for your precious CBD that we don't even know the boundaries? How about the tax digest being equally distributed and divided? I know I'm a dreamer....

dichotomy
dichotomy 11/14/12 - 06:23 pm

Cobalt.......yeh, they said

Cobalt.......yeh, they said Obama was going to be there but all that showed up was a lying empty suit. He must have reached across the aisle and fell out of his suit so the suit decided it wasn't going to do that anymore.

Heck, I lost $8K this morning just while I took a break to go sit on the throne. I think I have already filled up my allowed losses for the year and started on the "carryovers" so I wil have some write offs in 2014.

Retired Army
Retired Army 11/14/12 - 06:28 pm

Riverman111/14/12 - 03:58 pm

Riverman writes: "Dichotomy, Know What Bothers Me?
When I see comments from people I suspect are on a county funded payroll and they are so totally off base making factually inaccurate statements."

Long winded too. Unlike us Federaly retired folks.

Riverman1
Riverman1 11/14/12 - 06:41 pm

RA, heh, in the Army if you

RA, heh, in the Army if you couldn't write it in one sentence, you wouldn't get it.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 11/14/12 - 07:13 pm

Bone rattling music

I want one of those directional sub-sonic sound wave machines that make you lose control of your bowels. When the thumper pulls up next to me I could get sweet revenge.

seenitB4
seenitB4 11/14/12 - 08:18 pm

#1 Tourist attraction in Augusta

Masters Tournament...has been & will continue to be....brings in millions ...tax free rentals for the folks in the CSRA have put kids in college---bought houses ---bought cars---plastic surgery---etc....spikes the economy...
goodnight all--sleep tight ctyman..:)

OpenCurtain
OpenCurtain 11/14/12 - 09:43 pm

Suggestion for new tourist attraction

;-)

Retired Army
Retired Army 11/14/12 - 09:49 pm

OpenCurtain11/14/12 - 08:43 pm

Suggestion for new tourist attraction

OC writes: "Hire Retired Army and Countyman to move that brick column at the corner of 5th and Board to the 900 Board St. area.

;-)"

"RETIRED" Damnit! :)

You working taxpayers, keep up the good work and thanks. 52 years was enough for me.

OpenCurtain
OpenCurtain 11/14/12 - 09:57 pm

itsanotherday1 - Poo Gun aka the brown note

Checkout
Long Range Acoustic Device (LRAD) at 2.5khz
"Publicly" it is as close as it gets