Rants & Raves

Comments from readers:

AS IF IT IS NOT bad enough that we have to wait 17 minutes during rush-hour traffic for the train to clear River Watch Parkway, some idiot pulls up into traffic and rattles everybody’s windows with his obnoxious, loud and profane music.

EVEN IN ‘CRIMSON TIDE’ (the movie) the old, cantankerous conservative lost out to the progressive who was smarter and more articulate. The movie was poetic justice, but showcased a never-ending cycle of cronyism that exists in true form in our politics today.

THE TERRORIST rampage on Nov. 5, 2009, at Ford Hood, Texas, caused 13 people to die and injuries to two dozen more. The government has the audacity to call the act “workplace violence.” Kudos to those who are now suing the government for compensation for the attack. Also, let’s get on with the trial of the terrorist Nidal Hasan, who caused all of the havoc, and stop dragging things out.

I THOUGHT newscasters were supposed to keep their opinions to themselves when it comes to their political choices. Sweet as he is, it seems inappropriate for Harley Drew to give his personal thoughts on this matter, and the other announcers should also edit their stories to remain free of bias. Save it for the talk shows.

A LAWYER FOR a Mexican national argued before the Georgia Supreme Court this month that the law that requires a person to have a Georgia-issued license to drive is unconstitutional because it discriminates against non-Georgia citizens (e.g., illegal immigrants). Is this a joke or what?

RANT TO ALL naysayers in regard to the new elected officials. It’s done! It’s time for positive participation to help our city, county and nation. It’s not time for negative, hateful and divisive comments that will not help in solving issues.

THANKS TO OLIN for closing down its chlorine plant and the use of mercury here in Augusta. I know the loss of about 80 jobs is sad and will have an impact, but mercury would have serious consequences for the people in our community if the plant continued.

RANT TO ALL the people who decided to get upset on Belair Road and Hereford Farm while I sat there broken down in my car. Thanks a lot for stopping and asking if I needed help.

loblolly
loblolly 11/14/12 - 10:16 am
Finally

the glitch in your firewall seems to be if you are signed on to the AC from one computer, it does not recognize you when you sign on to another computer. In other words, the firewall seems to be confused. When I get the pop-up blocking message, I just "x" it out. Sometimes I have to sign back on. I hope this is useful to the AC in repairing their firewall to keep non-subscribers out, and they can continue to get the same responses and opinions they have gotten for the last year or so. Play Nice!!!

seenitB4
seenitB4 11/14/12 - 10:19 am
I want my own golf cart....

I like the outdoorsey one myself.....
will that bring in more money with rental carts...I'm wondering....

Riverman1
Riverman1 11/14/12 - 10:24 am
SeenIt

If I'm going to be driving a golf cart at night around Augusta, I want one mounted with a swivel turret machine gun.

seenitB4
seenitB4 11/14/12 - 10:27 am
Gun pack

One cart had a gun pack on the side RM....just right ferya..

CGee...the red white & blue was made for you....you could put your own gun rack on it!

seenitB4
seenitB4 11/14/12 - 10:31 am
LOUD RADIO MUSIC

I have often turned up my reeel country as loud as possible to match the bonging-loud-boom sounds from a car next to me.....we try to out match each other like a duel.....I put the window down on that side so they can enjoy the twang as much as I do....there is something about banjo --fiddle & southern singing that sends them ino orbit......dunno why...hahaha

Riverman1
Riverman1 11/14/12 - 10:38 am
LL, Now You Got Me Going on the TEE

About Augusta Riverfront LL, why does the city not follow its policy of having those who do business with the city divulge the complete ownership? See everyone THINKS they know who the majority owner is and he is never going to sellout or do something detrimental to the city. But I don’t think HE is the majority owner. People have families and usually things get spread out to the point where there is not one area everyone is loyal to. Interests are sold. People move. Inheritances and so on. The city has put too much stock in who they think owns Augusta Riverfront in awarding the contracts.

seenitB4
seenitB4 11/14/12 - 10:39 am
Surely you jest with this....

What....but it is soo much fun .....btw....it will never go away....you are dreaming .....I wish I could put a cute toon on here...the man is standing beside a Romney/Ryan sign with a crazed look on his face---the wife is saying..."You have to let it go...you are scaring the neighbors"...(I thought about a few I know...in this area)

seenitB4
seenitB4 11/14/12 - 10:47 am
Good news for Atlanta

Atlanta may get AT&T job hub.....they are considering a high tech innovation center that would brings many sought-after research jobs to the metro area...this would generate more startups aceoss the city....great news.

loblolly
loblolly 11/14/12 - 10:48 am
Sean

You got me. It seems I have been blogging to myself. Vey good, I have a really good sense of humor myself! Have a wonderful day.

allhans
allhans 11/14/12 - 10:52 am
All the purtee things they

All the purtee things they build will, in a few months, no longer be nice and neat. I would like to see residents and property owners in the area clean things up FIRST. Show that they have pride in the community. Just handing out more "stuff" and expect absolutley nothing back is ludicrous, a huge waste of taxpayer dollars....SHEESH

seenitB4
seenitB4 11/14/12 - 11:31 am
About Ms Kelleys emails...with the General...

She also met Gen. John Allen while he was at Central Command, and now investigators are looking at 20,000-plus pages of documents and emails between Kelley and Allen, some of which have been described as "flirtatious." The general has denied any wrongdoing.

OMG--that is a lot of phone sex....wouldn't your fingers get tired after say.......5,000 pages or so...:)

Retired Army
Retired Army 11/14/12 - 11:50 am
seenitB411/14/12 - 09:07 am

Seenit writes: "Ya gotta move toward country if you wanta play a song for me---or I will have to play this for you ....."

OK! I'll play. Be carefull though. It's an updated version and performed live.

Doesn't it just make you think of our ol' buddy out there in Applingville?

harley_52
harley_52 11/14/12 - 11:57 am
Countyman...

Thanks for the info.

Very informative, as usual.

seenitB4
seenitB4 11/14/12 - 12:00 pm
Hahha...nahhh RA

Cgee is so much cuter.....& he likes the real country music....with Cline & ole Jones & Hank.....
BTW Cgee needs to read my emails & resend something-----??

There is meat on the bones in a lot of places this am....so I'm going to ck it out...but yall did get me going some this am....golf carts--judge not---shrimps posts....& you too Ra....& I said I wouldn't stay very long---haha......what a mix of posters we have on here.....yall don't realize it but AC has us figured out----they put exactly what riles us & by golly they get it right....they are smarter than they look..hahahahha

dichotomy
dichotomy 11/14/12 - 12:46 pm
B-ball court..wow.

You hear that South Richmond County. Countyman says they are going to give you a B-ball court and apparently widen a basically industrial road in South Augusta. As for the lighting project, from where I sit 15th, MLK, and Milledgeville are just as far away as downtown. Generally, none of that is what most of us mean when we refer to South Augusta and South Richmond County. When I start seeing taxpayer funded projects and ANY development or "redevelopment" popping up along the Peach Orchard Rd and Deans Bridge Rd corridors south of the Gordon Hwy, and some of that "explosive growth" that George Paddy managed to get us taxed for along those corridors all the way to Hwy 88 and Blythe, I will think you understand where South Augusta and South Richmond County really are located.

Can you believe it South Richmond County? For ALL of YOUR tax money you get a basketball court at Diamond Lakes. And countyman actually touts that as a "look what we are doing for you". And $80K for an outdoor B-ball court? Is that the Procurement Office's family and friends stick it to the taxpayer price? I'm guessing $25K to $35K tops with fence and lights.

And Open Curtain makes an excellent point on the drainage ditches. The "City of Augusta" now wants to put a STORMWATER TAX on us. WE HAVE DITCHES. DITCHES THAT HAVE BEEN THERE DECADES. Ditches that they have not maintained since consolidation. Is there anybody in South Richmond County dumb enough to think that they will use Stormwater Tax money to properly maintain our DITCHES......MUCH LESS PIPE OFF THE DANGEROUS, UNSITELY DITCHES AND FILL THEM IN, WHICH IS WHAT NEEDS TO BE DONE IF WE HAVE TO PAY FOR A STORMWATER MAINTENANCE TAX. Hey City of Augsta, you come out here and lay drainage pipe and I will GLADLY give you a Stormwater System Maintenance TAX. Until then, WE DON'T HAVE A STORMWATER SYSTEM AND I THINK IT'S ILLEGAL FOR YOU TO TAX ME FOR SOMETHING YOU ARE NOT PROVIDING AND HAVE NO INTENTION OF PROVIDING !!!!!!!!!!! Of course, you have been ILLEGALLY TAXING ME WITH YOUR DISCRIMINATORY DUAL TAX SYSTEM FOR 17 YEARS SO WHAT'S NEW.

The ditch in front of my house has swallowed four vehicles and killed one person. There are gaping holes on each side of my driveway which seem to be car magnets. They were enlarged when the county water treatment plant starded dumping tens of thousands of gallons of water into the ditch in addition to draining a retention pond there that is fed by an underground spring that flows water 24/7/365, rain or drought. It's ugly, dangerous, and infested with rats because there is water there 365. There is nothing like going to get your mail and having rats run by your feet. The "City" enlarged the holes, but not my culvert pipe. I complained to Augusta Cares and Commissioner Guilfolye about the erosion around my driveway culvert and the the fact that the county busted a big chunk out of the pipe with their long armend bush hog. After three or four months the county came out here and dropped about 20 pieces of rock down in the deeper eroded holes on each side of my driveway. Didn't fix the problem. Hasn't stopped water forcing it's way around the OUTSIDE of my culvert pipe on the sides. But I got about 40 rocks for my thousands of dollars of property tax. Yeh, I am a happy taxpayer now by golly. Commissioner Guilfoyle was kind enough to forward the email that the Engineering folks sent him saying everything was hunky dory. I doubt seriously if he was concened enough to come look at it himself. So I got 40 rocks and now they want a Stormwater TAX. Paul and BIlly got a $millon dollar overhead crosswalk and I got 40 rocks. South Richmond County...YOU GET NOTHING FOR YOUR TAX MONEY BUT A SWING AND A MISS. IT ALL GOES DOWNTONW TO PAUL AND LANEY WALKER. AND NOW THEY WANT ANOTHER TAX. Roll up your sleeves South Richmond County...they are coming to drain some more blood out of you. Seventeen years of an ILLEGAL TAX SYSTEM and NO REPRESENTATION. And what have we got for ALL of that tax money......Diamond Lakes is about it, which for me is a ZERO. We need to separate ourselves from this chicken poop outfit.

And remember.....EVERYTHING IS CHEAPER IN NORTH AUGUSTA. SHOP THERE. The "City of Augusta" is a TAX RIPOFF. It's a SPEED TRAP for your money and you get NOTHING FOR IT. No services, no security, no development.......regardless of the lie George Patty told us a decade ago it ain't happening.........ever. Not under the leadership of the City of Augusta it ain't. "Impending explosive growth" my behind. What drugs were you and the TAX Appraiser taking when you came up with that BALD FACED LIE George? Did you have data to back up that illegal rezoning proposal? I doubt it. It was nothing more than a LIE to raise the tax valuations on a vacant, fallow, unsellable property after which the "CITY" promptly adopted the position to "dicourage development SOUTH OF SPIRIT CREEK'........after they rezoned our property and raised our TAXES. South Richmond County, if you don't think this was a plan from day 1 to steal more tax money by the group of crooks, idiots, and cowards that run this county, including the mayor, commission, Planning & Zoning, and the TAX Appraiser, then you are just blind. There was ABSOLUTELY NO INDICATION of any "impending explosive growth" to justify rezoning 7000 acres of vacant land to Residential. It was ALWAYS a tax grab and George Patty was the lead emplyee they sent out to tell this BLANTANT LIE. The commission and the TAX Appraiser had already decided that South Richmond County was a perfect source of new revenue where they could take more money and not have to provide any services and they pushed George Patty out front to tell the "impending explosive growth" LIE to justify their vote.

EVERYTHING IS CHEAPER IN NORTH AUGUSTA. SHOP THERE WHEN POSSIBLE.

QUALITY OF LIFE IS BETTER IN COLUMBIA COUNTY. MOVE THERE IF YOU CAN.

AND FOR MY NEXT COMMISSIONER I AM VOTING FOR THE GUY WITH THE FEWEST TEETH AND REDDEST NECK. WE GET NOTHING ANYWAY SO WE MIGHT AS WELL SEND A WHITE MARION WILLIAMS DOWN TO DISRUPT AS MUCH OF THIS CRAP AS POSSIBLE. I'll volunteer to write the huge list of questions for him to ask PUBLICLY for each and every issue that comes up, large or small. Trying to work WITH them has not worked. Trying to work against them quietly has not worked. Trying to disrupt them and make the other commissioners miserable probably won't work either but at least I will get a few laughs out of it. I have not laughed much since consolidation and sending a disrupter to the commission is the only chance I see of getting any enjoyment out of my tax dollars. Drag the commission meetings out for hours and hours. Ask tons of question about every little issue. Make public at commission meetings who is buying up property in advance of county projects and whose relatives and friends are getting county jobs, county contracts, etc. Come out of their secret meetings and hold a press conference detailing everything that was said and by whom. That's the commissioner I am looking for.

Bizkit
Bizkit 11/14/12 - 12:49 pm
War Bonds letters from the

War Bonds letters from the war. I told ya I saw War Bonds in Evans last week. Great show and music. Well a friend told me there is a youtube of part. The band is local and yes that is Wycliff Gordon belt that trombone.
Enjoy!

Bizkit
Bizkit 11/14/12 - 12:51 pm
That's one spicy meatball or

That's one spicy meatball or Alec Baldwin's sweaty meat balls from SNL. hee,hee,hee.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 11/14/12 - 01:25 pm
B4

I will, pictures will come....

Good News break on Sarge....Home, doing very well with his new 7 year heart.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 11/14/12 - 01:26 pm
RA

Only 2 downers for you and many uppers.

dichotomy
dichotomy 11/14/12 - 01:37 pm
RA....Yep, the sky is still

RA....Yep, the sky is still there and the sun came up. It's 12:30 PM, the stock market is down 82. Hope you Obama supporters have been saving your cash. Don't look like there will much tax revenue from the stock market. I can hear the really "rich" folks laughing now and saying "those foolish people".

Now this is social justice. Dated today.

"After filing for bankruptcy last month, HMX Group, the owner of Chicago suit maker Hart Schaffner Marx, has warned the state of the possible closing of its Des Plaines factory and the layoffs of 567 workers there."

"Founded in Chicago in 1887, Hart Schaffner Marx outfitted President Barack Obama during his 2009 inauguration."

InChristLove
InChristLove 11/14/12 - 01:39 pm

Democrats say Romney's proposal to raise revenue by slashing deductions for the rich could reduce deficits — without the tax-rate hikes that Republicans despise
As a showdown brews in Washington over how to avoid the fiscal cliff, "Democrats are latching on to an idea floated by Mitt Romney" to break the impasse, says Jonathan Weisman at The New York Times. The defeated Republican presidential nominee campaigned on a plan to use a cap on income tax deductions for the wealthy to help offset an across-the-board tax-rate cut. President Obama dismissed the idea as "sketchy," saying it wouldn't come close to paying for Romney's proposal. Democrats in Congress, however, say it just might be the key to crafting a balanced debt-reduction deal that gets more revenue from the super wealthy without hiking tax rates, which Republican House Speaker John Boehner has called "unacceptable." Did Romney show Democrats the way to reach a deal with the GOP?"

So, for months now we had to listen to comments on how stupid Romney is and how he doesn't have a clue how to help the economy and the Dems. and the President ran on the same platform... NOW, it's possible the man knows what he's talking about and the "Dems may want to latch on to his idea".

KSL
KSL 11/14/12 - 02:55 pm
Typical

And if they do put the Romney ideas into play and they work, guessed who will take the credit?

countyman
20129
countyman 11/14/12 - 03:21 pm
The city has invested

The city has invested millions of dollars into Diamond Lakes over the last few years. Probably close to 5-10 times as much compared to the other parks in the county. A large percentage of the most expensive neighborhoods in South Augusta, and new homes under construction are near Diamond Lakes. Lakes at Spirit Creek, Walton Farms, Walton Acres, and Manchester(inside Diamond Lakes). The address of the new Spring Creek Village subdivision is Willis Foreman/Ulm Road(near Diamond Lakes).

The TEE Center was approved by the local citizens, and nothing will change the voice of the people. The majority of citizens have clearly spoken on the TEE Center. The money being spent in Laney Walker/Bethlehem($37.5 million over fifty years) development is the result of tourist, and not local tax payers. The tourist might not be visiting Laney Walker, but they're not visiting South Augusta either. The LW neighborhood lies within close proximity of the CBD & Medical District. The development has attracted national recognition including Harvard using the quote 'game changing national model'. The crime rate in the neighborhood is much better too.

The basketball court, Marvin Griffin rd, and the lighting agreement only represented a small portion of the investments. The address of EZ Go, Kelloggs, Covidien, etc is Marvin Griffin road. The $20 million Vocational high school next to Augusta Tech will open soon. The same people only bring up the TEE Center(approved by citizens), and the Laney Walker deal(money coming from tourist). While I can mention several developments in South Augusta including the Butler Creek Trailhead Park.

countyman
20129
countyman 11/14/12 - 03:49 pm
The crime rate of Augusta ia

The crime rate of Augusta is lower compared than the majority of it's peers already. The crime rate in CBD is very low(ask sheriff Strength), and the majority of LTV's will drive around the CBD. The Medical District is the other area, and crime won't be a problem here either.

The TEE Center is $38 million, and the Laney Walker development is $37.5 million over fifty years. The money going to Laney Walker comes from the local tourist. Those tourist are definitely not coming here to ride horses in Augusta, and play tennis. They may visit Aiken for the equestrian community, but that's not one of Richmond County strong points. The majority of people visiting Richmond County are due to the Masters, and events in the CBD. The citizens approved the TEE Center, and the city listened to the people of Richmond County. People can use the imaginary '$100 million' figure all they want, but it's still false. The number one tourist attraction of Augusta is the Riverwalk located downtown.

Dichotomy... If I remember correctly you said the Richmond County master plan was a misuse of funds. The master had 7 out of the 11 creation projects located in South Augusta, and four of the seven projects beyond south of spirit Creek.. Due to the master plan the city of Augusta received the $1.8 million grant. The grant will help out the Deans Bridge rd corridor(Regency Mall area). The target areas include 15th, MLK, Milledgeville, and Deans Bridge. South Augusta maybe the largest area in terms of land mass, but parts of 15th, MLK, and Milledgeville rd are clearly apart of South Augusta.

The comments are proving the point I made earlier. West Augusta is much richer than South Augusta, but I never hear let's spend tax payer money in the area. The same people want to bring up the TEE Center daily. That's $38 million versus the $20 million Vocational school, $1 million Marshalls office, $3.5 million lake at Regency Mall, millions for Diamond Lakes, millions to relocate Hyde Park residents, millions towards the Augusta Mini Theater, Butler Creek Trailhead Park, etc. in South Augusta.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 11/14/12 - 04:01 pm
Millions

Millions that the city does not have. Millions that are taken away by some governmental unit by force from citizens who worked for that money.

Riverman1
Riverman1 11/14/12 - 04:02 pm
Countyman, don't forget parking deck

Countyman, don't forget the parking deck, kitchen equipment, enhanced air handling system and management fees we are learning about that will cost millions. But I don't mean to quibble with you today. I want to point out the obvious about tourism.

Of course no one expects golf and horses downtown, but the events can still be the focus of why people come. They can stay in hotels downtown and get out into the country for those activities. Surely, you know that.

When the Bon Aire was one of the biggest hotels in the world people came for the golf, tennis, horses and shooting in our mild climate. They didn't do those activities in town back then either.

Seriously, the challenge for the CVB is to coordinate with those involved with those activities and the tourists. Market your strong point that can attract upscale people. Tatto convention? Come on man.

Riverman1
Riverman1 11/14/12 - 04:01 pm
How do you quantify that West Augusta is Richer?

How do you quantify that West Augusta is richer than South Augusta? There is certainly more industry in South Augusta paying taxes.

seenitB4
seenitB4 11/14/12 - 04:03 pm
OMG OMG

When I read this I choked.....coughed & almost fainted...

The number one tourist attraction of Augusta is the Riverwalk located downtown.

wow...now how many do we thik will come to Augusta for that....not a single person I know has ever said they were coming for that riverwalk---zip-nada-o.......evidently you are not aware of the love for tennis....we have tennis fanatics all over the CSRA...some are in my family---they travel all over for tennis...geez---you tell me everyday what crowd you play with..It isn't the horse-tennis-golf crowd...now is it>>:)
Somehow countyman still doesn't get the south area with problems....the lost restaurants---the road problems---the drainage problems....voting & changing the look on the commish will be the answer.......throw a wrench into the mix just like dichotomy said....cowpone-redneck-is just what they need....Honey boo boo where are yooouuu!!

seenitB4
seenitB4 11/14/12 - 04:15 pm
Well anyway

A good choked up laugh is what I needed today.....cleared my sinus problems....now if I can stifle myself til we go to Bonefish...I hope so because I hate to lose any martini through my nose...
Yes mam....shabam....a good ole redneck from the sticks of south Augusta....swamp man kinda....wears overalls ....never wears a tie....long beard with big ole boots......yep that is what the commish needs......I bet Rebellious has someone in mind right now..:):)

Riverman1
Riverman1 11/14/12 - 04:17 pm
SeenIt

The most people I've ever seen on the Riverwalk is three. I saw three people two different times, but one of the people I saw both times.

Many black colleges struggling

Although Paine has struggled with its own failures over the past several years, HBCUs across the nation are dealing with some of the same troubles that are threatening their missions and existence.