Rants & Raves

Comments from readers:

AS IF IT IS NOT bad enough that we have to wait 17 minutes during rush-hour traffic for the train to clear River Watch Parkway, some idiot pulls up into traffic and rattles everybody’s windows with his obnoxious, loud and profane music.

EVEN IN ‘CRIMSON TIDE’ (the movie) the old, cantankerous conservative lost out to the progressive who was smarter and more articulate. The movie was poetic justice, but showcased a never-ending cycle of cronyism that exists in true form in our politics today.

THE TERRORIST rampage on Nov. 5, 2009, at Ford Hood, Texas, caused 13 people to die and injuries to two dozen more. The government has the audacity to call the act “workplace violence.” Kudos to those who are now suing the government for compensation for the attack. Also, let’s get on with the trial of the terrorist Nidal Hasan, who caused all of the havoc, and stop dragging things out.

I THOUGHT newscasters were supposed to keep their opinions to themselves when it comes to their political choices. Sweet as he is, it seems inappropriate for Harley Drew to give his personal thoughts on this matter, and the other announcers should also edit their stories to remain free of bias. Save it for the talk shows.

A LAWYER FOR a Mexican national argued before the Georgia Supreme Court this month that the law that requires a person to have a Georgia-issued license to drive is unconstitutional because it discriminates against non-Georgia citizens (e.g., illegal immigrants). Is this a joke or what?

RANT TO ALL naysayers in regard to the new elected officials. It’s done! It’s time for positive participation to help our city, county and nation. It’s not time for negative, hateful and divisive comments that will not help in solving issues.

THANKS TO OLIN for closing down its chlorine plant and the use of mercury here in Augusta. I know the loss of about 80 jobs is sad and will have an impact, but mercury would have serious consequences for the people in our community if the plant continued.

RANT TO ALL the people who decided to get upset on Belair Road and Hereford Farm while I sat there broken down in my car. Thanks a lot for stopping and asking if I needed help.

dichotomy
dichotomy 11/13/12 - 09:37 pm
"old, cantankerous

"old, cantankerous conservative lost out to the progressive who was smarter and more articulate"

I'd rather be an old, cantankerous conservative with money in the bank and all of my bills paid than a progressive who thinks they are smart, considers being a smart mouthed little snot as being articulate, and ain't got a clue as to how to pay the bills they are running up. Just because you think you all progressive are smart and articulate does not mean I think progressives are smart or articulate. I think they are dogmatic ideologues with absolutely zero common sense and a severe case of hate for the folks who have been feeding their face for the most of their lives while they smoked dope and diddled themselves. Now it's time for you to go to work and start paying the bills and you can't handle it.

As for ."ALL naysayers". Hey, I paid for the right to be a naysayer if I wish. Yes, I am PO'd about the election. I totally disagree with the fiscal, monetary, regulatory, and healthcare policies of the Obama administration. But y'all won and if I have to go FORWARD I am going kicking and screaming because it's the wrong direction. So get used to it.

Jake
Jake 11/13/12 - 09:55 pm
Bone rattling music

I need to install some bone rattling speakers in my vehicle as a deterrent to the obnoxious people who want to share their music with me. Then when they pull up near me I can blast them with some Hank Williams singing "'Neath the Cold, Gray Tomb of Stone" or Bobby Moore & The Rhythm Aces doing "Searching For My Baby" or as a secret weapon, Kitka (female eastern European music ensemble) who sometimes sound like they got their breasts caught in a washing machine wringer. Yep, that would show them.

Doug E. Fresh
Doug E. Fresh 11/14/12 - 12:30 am
The Chosen One

The perfect storm Sandy brought death and destruction to the Northeast. Even after all these days people are still without power, food or shelter. Sound familiar?? Kanya West went on National TV after hurricane Katrina and said "President Bush didn't care about black people." I guess Obama doesn't' care about white people, but you won't here Kanya say that. Have you heard any National news say anything bad about this administration?? He's the chosen one. Good luck America.

dwb619
dwb619 11/13/12 - 11:17 pm
temporary insanity

I wouldn't vote to convict you.

Retired Army
Retired Army 11/14/12 - 12:00 am
Day 8

And the sky is still in place!

Seenit and KSL, just for you two, The Fat Man Sings:

Oh heck, Riverman and CG can hum/mumble along if they like. Jake oughta dig it.

countyman
19155
countyman 11/14/12 - 12:13 am
Rant #8. Belair rd is located

This is the latest rendering of the Holiday Inn Express on Broad street. The hotel will become a major addition to the entrance of Olde Town and the landscape of Lower Broad.

Support the new local businesses downtown.

Downtown Saloon(Bar: 1128 Broad), Boars Head Public House at 1135 Broad street in the CBD, Sprint Food & Metro Market at 851 Broad next to the common(open air seating, 1st floor urban market: restaurant/convenience store, and 2nd floor Sprint Food corporate offices and space for other tenants), and 4,300 sq. ft. of commercial space at 901 Broad are underway too.

TEE Center= $6 million Holiday Inn Express & $1.2 million 7 apts/commercial space(901 Broad). I'm only including the projects were the developer specifically mentioned the TEE Center to the media. Let's not forget those seven people will eat, sleep, shop, etc downtown. Similar to the thousands of people attending conventions next year(new money for Augusta).

Doug E. Fresh
Doug E. Fresh 11/14/12 - 12:39 am
It’s not time for......

That's right... it's time to register, qualify, signup, call in, ask for or cry to get your free stuff. The chosen one was reelected and it's in the mail.

Jane18
Jane18 11/14/12 - 01:13 am
R & R #'s 2 & 6

Both of these statements must be from democrats, but, notice how one(#2) is negative(of course), and the other is somewhat positive, so confusing! Also, the last sentence of #6, you have got to be kidding if that is directed to Republicans. These past 3 years and 10 months have been the worst I have ever known, and guess what? It is going to get worse.........it's coming from the same administration!

Jane18
Jane18 11/14/12 - 01:32 am
Dichotomy's Comments

From one old, cantankerous Republican to another, I agree with you(your first comment)! And yes, I have daydreamed about maiming or killing a stereo or two! I don't carry a big ole' gun like yours, mine is a little 22 Derringer with 9 little hollowpoint bullets. I keep that one with me when I am out and about. At home, got something(several somethings) much bigger!

countyman
19155
countyman 11/14/12 - 03:04 am
I actually forgot to mention

I actually forgot to mention one of the most exciting things happening in Augusta. The city is finally becoming progressive in terms of public transportation(LTV's). The ad hoc traffic committee was recently approved, and the plan seeks out roads where LTV's are feasible(less than 35 mph). I've been promoting the Augusta Greenway for a while, and I'm hoping city speeds up the process of opening charging stations to the public.

This makes perfect sense in terms of Augusta.
1. Augusta is the golf cart manufacturing capital of the world,, and one of the top electrical vehicle cities.
2. The current/future growth in the CBD(specifically the GGHF site), Medical District, ASU main campus, and Paine College.
3. EZ-GO, Club Car, Tomberlin Group, Jefferson Electric, Fort Gordon, SRS, and Georgia Power right here in the metro.
4. Goes along perfect with the image of the Masters(golf carts are forms of LTV'S)
5. The city realizes you need the sheriff's office, local community, private money, and government to make this work.

countyman
19155
countyman 11/14/12 - 03:06 am
The James Brown Boulevard

The James Brown Boulevard project will begin soon($1.3 million total, $650k grant).

The commission approved $100k for the old chamber of commerce building on Broad street(collaborative center). Starbucks is donating $200k, and another $100k is coming from private donations.

Before the usual suspects respond with the same daily comments. The usual comments telling us how the city must build everything in South Augusta, but nothing in West Augusta for example(which pays higher taxes). The commission also approved $80k for the outdoor basketball complex at Diamond Lakes, $235k for Marvin Griffin rd improvements, and entered into the lighting agreement with GA DOT future plans for 15th/MLK/Milledgeville (inner city & South Augusta)

Tullie
Tullie 11/14/12 - 06:32 am
James Brown Blvd Improments

concrete sidewalks, curb and gutter, installation of handicapped curb cut ramps at intersections, installation of street lights, street trees, trash receptacles and way-finding kiosks, and upgrades to storm water drains and catch basins. The project will not impact recent streetscape improvements made in the vicinity of the new library and the Augusta Judicial Center and John H. Ruffin, Jr. Courthouse

It is hard for me to be all happy for the people down there about their improvements.

Especially when they are talking about a stormwater tax and I have a ditch that I have to keep up since they don't even come out here like they used to about once a year. I have a septic tank since they won't put in a system out this way.

And I see they are getting some more street lights. I found out I am paying more out here because I use Jefferson Electric . Apparently downtown area..I don't know, are they charged for street lights? I never did understand that.

It is nice for Diamond Lakes to get a basketball court. They need to put some of that money for repairs to the place. Some of the tiles have come up and need to be replaced. I think they do a pretty good job overall of keeping it up, but if they don't start doing repairs, it is going to go downhill fast.

shrimp for breakfast
shrimp for breakfast 11/14/12 - 07:00 am
Dagburn

I have no rants to the rants this morning.
I'll just wait until seenit and river get here so I can rant on them. hehe
Hey River I'm going back to Charleston again this weekend. What can I bring you back? I could bottle up some stink from the paper mill if you want.

shrimp for breakfast
shrimp for breakfast 11/14/12 - 07:02 am
hey jane

I'd be happy to help you destroy a few obnoxious stereos if you need some help! hehe

OpenCurtain
OpenCurtain 11/14/12 - 08:02 am
Harley Drew gave his personal thoughts.

Surprise
Harley is a Talk show host.
Many of us do listen to him for his comments (personal thoughts).

I have know Harley off and on, at a personal level since 1972 from his WBBQ days. He is "The Local Radio Icon" and his early morning show has been around since I was a kid heading out to school.

If you are upset with him challenge him to a Kazoo duel.
An may the best person win.

Warning !! he plays a mean Kazoo.

loblolly
loblolly 11/14/12 - 08:07 am
Raves to states

that passed gay marriage and recreational use of mary jane.

soapy_725
soapy_725 11/14/12 - 08:10 am
Harley's intelligence and wit....

are over most CSRA heads. His honesty is rare gem in the CSRA. His recital of the Christmas Story from Luke is amazing (-: Go Harley !!!!

F4therTime
F4therTime 11/14/12 - 08:33 am
Huh?

Countyman said...Rant #8. Belair rd is located in Richmond County, and not Columbia county. Jimmie Dyess becomes South Belair rd once you enter Martinez area , and South Belair turns into North Belair around Evans. So? What did any of that have to do with the rant? Are you kidding me? South Augusta tax payers are supposed to get excited about a basketball court that only a handful of residents will ever use and improvements to an industrial road that they most likely never drive down? OH WOW!!! You cannot be seriously saying that little bone is equal to the wasted South Augustan's tax dollars that are spent in your beloved CBD?

OpenCurtain
OpenCurtain 11/14/12 - 08:41 am
Lets quote a Hollywood movie to prove a point

Whoppie!
quote a movie with a clear agenda to lessen command authority. That in real life, a launch that has so many checks and balances that it could never have happen.

But, what if someone made a movie showing the mutiny occurred and the sub failed to complete its mission and millions of lives were lost?

Would you also quote it?

If you ever doubt the ability of a Broomer Captain try under going the psyc test to have Command and Control Nuke authority bestowed upon you. Then endure the constant background rechecks, and random reevaluations of everybody you come in contact with.

If only our President, with a finger on a button (or Not) had to undergo the same background and mental investigations, a lot more of us would sleep better.

LillyfromtheMills
LillyfromtheMills 11/14/12 - 08:38 am
RA

We must be looking at different skies - or through different rose colored glasses.

OpenCurtain
OpenCurtain 11/14/12 - 09:08 am
Tullie - Speaking of Ditches

It took 2 notices to August Cares (less) and the Dist. 8 commissioner with flooding pictures 90+ days and 1 more flooding. But we got our drainage ditch and 30 others finally cleaned out.

The big issue is, before consolidation, this use to be a normal routine maintenance item that was scheduled and done periodically.

Depending on the older neighbors you ask the last previous time the drainage ditches along Brown Rd. was completely maintained was about 12 to 14 years ago.

Some of these ditches were so full of accumulated dirt, waste and etc. There were no drainage pipes visible and in a number of cases NOT even the ditch. Imagine a drainage system so neglected by A-RC that 36"to 48" of dirt accumulated to plug it.

An now they want to talk Rain Tax?

Riverman1
Riverman1 11/14/12 - 09:33 am
About Using Golf Carts Downtown

I wonder how many days after that's implemented before a golf cart hijacking?

Riverman1
Riverman1 11/14/12 - 09:35 am
Shrimp, see if you can get

Shrimp, see if you can get one of the mega cruise ships in Charleston to go down to Savannah, turn up the river and visit Augusta.

Riverman1
Riverman1 11/14/12 - 09:40 am
Amtrack in Augusta

I am reminded of something. Remember a few years back when it was bragged about Augusta now having an Amtrack passenger rail connection. It was actually a Trailways Bus stop that would drive you to the town with the Amtrack stop. Heh.

Bob Young was mayor then and he actually went out and stood by the bus for a photo and told us how great it was to have an Amtrack stop. You know I kind of miss Bob Young. He could put a good spin on about anything.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 11/14/12 - 09:48 am
Cruise Ship

Yeah, RM, I'm sure the cruise ship passengers want to see our newest tourist attractions, the TEE Center and Marriott parking deck.

loblolly
loblolly 11/14/12 - 09:50 am
A Rant

to the AC for continuing this having to pay for on-line AC. How many people are you missing coming to your on-line paper? How many students can afford the price? What is you research showing concerning viewership, and hits to the web-site? Ti me it is obvious that readership has dramatically decreased just based upon the lack of bloggers. How long will it be until your dvertisers take notice?

loblolly
loblolly 11/14/12 - 10:06 am
You know

I think I can answer my own question. Charging for the on-line service deters the disadvantaged from joining in these blogs as they used to be very active. Truly, there are about 10 bloggers who make-up 90% of the responses. From what I can tell, they seem to be old, white, and retired, with pretty much the same opinions.

seenitB4
seenitB4 11/14/12 - 10:07 am
Retired Army

Ya gotta move toward country if you wanta play a song for me---or I will have to play this for you .....

Hello folks....weeel I see they already have a fake book about ALL IN ..Paulas book that is....didn't take very long to get the funny version out......the comics just can't help it....too much material for them to overlook...

seenitB4
seenitB4 11/14/12 - 10:13 am
woow.....ctyman

Here ya go South Augusta ....throw ya a bone,,

Welll now....stop ya fussing southside hahah....play some basketball & get your frustrations out .....& also ride up/down Marvin Griffin & think how lucky you are..:)

Riverman1
Riverman1 11/14/12 - 10:13 am
Misguided Convention and Visitors Bureau

LL, our Convention and Visitors Bureau is so misguided in attempts to bring in tourists. Believe it or not, the CSRA has been a tourist destination for the wealthy for a hundred years. They come here in the winter to play golf, ride horses, play tennis and shoot. That’s what we need to capitalize on and make it more accessible to visitors of more moderate means. Instead we put all our eggs in one basket with $100 million going to the TEE-Laney Walker payoff. For some reason we’ve turned our backs on the strong points and are trying to get tattoo conventions.

Stranger helps raise $40,000 for mom who left child in park

A thousand miles didn't stop a New Hampshire woman from extending a helping hand to a local mother accused of leaving her 9-year-old daughter at a park while she worked her shift at a fast-food ...