Rants & Raves

BELLE TERRACE HEALTH and Wellness Center provides “culturally competent … health care services.” What the heck is “culturally competent” health service?

WHY WOULD THE state or the county resurface Walton Way and Wheeler Road when they don’t need resurfacing, and start it on a Friday at one of the busiest intersections in the city? They need to go to Wrightsboro Road and Jackson Road and resurface that because you can’t hardly drive across the bumps. Are they sure they got the right intersection?

IF HURRICANE SANDY had not hit New York City, do you think all these celebrities would have gotten together and had a concert to help the people out?

A PHOTO SHOWS Javon Armstrong near “the abandoned Weed Street School.” What kind of local leadership abandons school buildings, then takes more tax money and builds new buildings?

IF THEY CUT OUT federal funding for PBS, that means that Big Bird will ride off into the sunset with Lawrence Welk on his back. I’m 72 and like Lawrence Welk, and I have grandsons, 10 and 12, who like Big Bird.

TO THE YOUNG MAN who shot and killed his friend, I’m sure he didn’t mean to, but kids have been taught not to mess with guns and he shouldn’t have been in someone else’s house looking around and especially not touching a gun.

RAVES TO ESTHER Poss here in Harlem. She did such wonderful community work serving the snacks at the Pumpkin Patch. She doesn’t just care about herself.

RANT TO SAVE THE A. You did not change the name officially with the Board of Regents. You gave in; you have the upper hand. You gave up, and I regret ever supporting Save the A. What a letdown.

AS THE TIME for the downtown parade gets closer, I wonder if the sponsors will finally get some guts and insist on modest attire and no provocative dancing from its participants. After all, it is supposed to be a family-friendly event!

TO THE GOOD Samaritan who turned in my 12-year-old daughter’s purse in the Old Navy store on Election Day: Thank you so much. She was devastated, and we looked and looked but did not find it. I can’t tell you how happy she was to find that you had turned it in. A million thanks. I only wish you could have seen her face.

allhans
allhans 11/12/12 - 10:44 pm
The ranter shouldn't worry

The ranter shouldn't worry about PBS...Federal funds is a small token of the PBS spending. As they say, a good product will sell on the open market. It could create a great bidding war...

KSL
122042
KSL 11/12/12 - 11:26 pm
Good grief

72, you are certainly old enough to do the research to find out that the fed money is a drop in the bucket.

Also, my sons were very fond of Big Bird. But by the time they were your grandchildrens' ages, they were well beyond Big Bird.

KSL
122042
KSL 11/12/12 - 11:48 pm
And all you have to do to

And all you have to do to keep your favorite programs going is to pay, you know, by contributions.

I am sure if you have watched, you have seen many fund raisers.

About that research, grandparent, BB and company makes a profit every year.

You might need to worry about Lawrence Welk.

KSL
122042
KSL 11/12/12 - 11:57 pm
About LW. I am 65 and my

About LW. I am 65 and my grandmother loved to watch him. When I visited her and he was on, it was pure agony for me.

Conservative Man
Conservative Man 11/13/12 - 12:53 am
Lawrence Welk is entertaning ....

...but really....if HIS funding is reduced...I doubt he'd care at this point.
As far as Big Bird goes....it's a multi-million dollar franchise that hardly needs government tax dollars to support it's efforts....With ...oh.. about 15 or 20 other children's channels available it's a waste of the few precious funds we have right now....keep it up and in 10 years or so it will be Big Gen Tsao's Bird....
And to Hurricane Sandy....They most likely will have a fundraiser eventually....but they will never give "Our Dear Ruler" the same grief they gave Dubya for not responding adequately to the problem....While people shivered in the dark tonight Obummer played his 109th round of golf today.....hmmmm...

Retired Army
Retired Army 11/13/12 - 12:57 am
KSL11/12/12 - 10:57 pm

Awww Heck KSL, just for you and Seenit too:

shrimp for breakfast
shrimp for breakfast 11/13/12 - 04:47 am
What has 100 legs and 12 teeth?

The front row at a Willie Nelson concert.

shrimp for breakfast
shrimp for breakfast 11/13/12 - 05:11 am
I miss Lawrence Welk

I also miss Carol Burnett big time. Now that was wholesome entertainment!
The crap on TV today makes me sick.

Jane18
Jane18 11/13/12 - 07:34 am
R & R #8

That's the way people do now. They get all fired up, "gonna do this and gonna do that", and as time passes, they start slowing down, and then eventually, nothing. Same thing is going to happen with Benghazi "bump in the road" and General Petraeus. Don't believe it? Just look at all the questionable happenings, let's say, in the last 4 years.................gone, gone, gone.

Riverman1
Riverman1 11/13/12 - 07:44 am
Shrimp, at a Willie Nelson

Shrimp, at a Willie Nelson concert, you may have a much different audience than you think. You could get a contact high from that crowd. Not that potheads don't have missing teeth. Know how to hide their weed from them? Put it in their work boots.

Riverman1
Riverman1 11/13/12 - 07:45 am
Did Shrimp really say he

Did Shrimp really say he missed Lawrence Welk and Carol Burnett?

Riverman1
Riverman1 11/13/12 - 07:59 am
Hillary can't go before Congress

Hillary can't go before Congress. She has an important mission in Australia. It's rumored the Tasmanian cricket team is using a Samoan to dominate the Australian Cricket League and she is the peacekeeper.

Tullie
Tullie 11/13/12 - 08:12 am
Carol Burnett

Shrimp, I loved that show too. We always watched her. They were so funny, especially when they were trying not to laugh themselves :o)

We really had some good decent shows to watch. I don't remember flipping through and thinking nothing on tonight..like now.

Riverman1
Riverman1 11/13/12 - 08:15 am
Before anyone can watch a

Before anyone can watch a parade in Augusta, the person needs to have his ID checked and reminded there is a cover charge.

Riverman1
Riverman1 11/13/12 - 08:39 am
In answer to all questions of

In answer to all questions of "Why would the county...." It's always because somebody knows somebody.

Trouble
Trouble 11/13/12 - 08:42 am
parade

They can not attempt to do this as it would result in a visit from the "reverends" al and jesse, as it is their "culture" to "dance" like that.....objecting to it is considered racism in the extreme

Riverman1
Riverman1 11/13/12 - 08:59 am
"Culturally competent"

Yeah, about the University owned Belle Terrace Health& Wellness Center, who was the PR genius who came up with the term, “Culturally competent?” I agree with the rant, what in the heck does that mean? Heh.

I think it means rap music is playing in the waiting room, employees are wearing dashikis, pictures of President Obama are on the walls and the doctors graduated from Howard University Med School and wear “Free Huey” pins. I can see a white South Augusta truck driver who goes there to have his smashed finger fixed in that culturally competent facility. I believe I prefer culturally incompetent facilities for my health care.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 11/13/12 - 09:27 am
I loved Looney Tunes, Bugs

I loved Looney Tunes, Bugs Bunny, Mighty Mouse, and others. Add to that Tarzan, Rat Patrol, Combat, Lassie, and Disney.

Can I get you taxpayers to contribute to get them back?

dichotomy
dichotomy 11/13/12 - 09:29 am
"What kind of local

"What kind of local leadership abandons school buildings, then takes more tax money and builds new buildings?"

All of our local leadership, both BOE and the Commission, have that "All that glitters is gold" philosophy. The BOE thinks that building new buildings will solve their miserable education record and the Commission thinks that building new buildings will make Paul more prosperous and give welfare folks nicer places to live than the taxpayers who are supporting them. Apparently our Commission operates on the Trickle Down From Paul economic theory and then throws in on the side ever how much blackmail money they have to give to Laney Walker in order to get the votes for the Paul projects. South Side......you don't get to play in this game.

How about you South Richmond County? Any of you seen any county development/redevelopment money put into that 7000 acres of that wrongly rezoned "Residential" property? They rezoned your land because of the "pending explosive growth. (George Patty's nose should be about 5 feet long by now since he told that lie) Then they raised your taxes, using their illegal, discriminatory, dual standard tax system to spend downtown, and then told you "we are going to discourage growth out there because we would have to actually provide county services and that would cut into the money we give Paul and Laney Walker. Y'all just keep sending in your money and we will get to you in 15 or 20 years....maybe".

Retired Army
Retired Army 11/13/12 - 09:48 am
Good Morning All

Day 7 has arrived and I'll be gosh darned. The sky is still in place this morning.

Just think only 4 years and about 2 months left until Hillary takes office.

Man, ain't it great to live in a free America, where the people can outvote the secret money?

loblolly
loblolly 11/13/12 - 10:08 am
In response to Save the A

THE ACES completely bungled by their emotional rants against Azziz. Morris let personal feelings get in the way. From the start, we should have been buiding political capital, and mobilizing a concerted, intelligent citizen and student effort. Instead, the ACES do what they do best: resorted to sensationalism and personal attacks, thereby isolating and polarizing this community. It's the over the top strategy taught to them by FOX , Hannity, Rush, Coulter, etc. It works to get people emotional, but is ineffective at real change. Just look at the election as an example. Pitiful.

seenitB4
seenitB4 11/13/12 - 10:25 am
The story has legs....hmmm pretty legs at that

Well now ...our Petraeus story has grown .....we are scratching in the barnyard now...cluck cluck....
Amazing men is what I say.....here they are taking care of business in sooo many places....it takes a smart guy to handle war & monkeys business......& keep a head on his shoulders....heck they had to worry about jealous folks all over the place...men & women...geez

Thanks RA..(I think)---chicken song really did it for me this am..LOL

Can't stay & play even though I want to..but my 2 cents ...
I loved Carol Burnett-----Andy Griffith---All in the Family---hubby watches re-runs over & over.......I watch Jerry Seinfeld over & over.....I would tell ya which ones were the best to me but ole Sean wouldn't go for the words...lol---had something to do with faking..hahah

loblolly
loblolly 11/13/12 - 10:36 am
ABig Rave

To UPS for cutting-off funding for Boy Scouts as long as this organization continues it's policy of discrimination against GLBT community.

loblolly
loblolly 11/13/12 - 10:41 am
Culturally Competent

Means organizations take one's culture into consideration when providing care, treatment and services. For example, offering Kosher food, halal food, etc. Being sensitive to others culture is a good thing to most, but seems to be comical and hateful fodder for others. And, they wonder why their party lost the election because they could not appeal to other cultures. Riverman is a gat example.

Dudeness
Dudeness 11/13/12 - 10:55 am
I don't even know who

I don't even know who Lawrence Welk is. I do know that a ton of people "like" their government funded stuff that is not at all necessary. I also have to wonder about these 10-12 year olds who are still into Big Bird.

Agree on the Wrightsboro Road rant. That street is ridiculous coming down the hill towards Jackson Road going away from the mall. It always sounds like my truck is about to fall apart from the bumps coming down that hill and it's not a whole lot better once you pass Jackson road either.

I prefer to not have to look at a politician's face in the upcoming parades. They already have someone promising to play Santa Claus I'm sure.

Retired Army
Retired Army 11/13/12 - 04:28 pm
While they're at it get that

While they're at it get that *&^%$# on ramp at Wrightsboro Rd and Bobby Jones Expwy. Terrible condition.

Seenit, I was hoping you would like the "Chicken Song". Funny stuff especially late at night.

Can you believe 6 thumbs down for a "Good Morning" and "ain't it great to live in a free America"?

Dude's and Dudess's Chill out. Gas was below $3 at Costco yesterday and I got to Kim's Donut's(corner of Evan's-to-Lock and Blue Ridge Dr) just in time to get a fresh Apple Fritter right out of the deep fryer. Life is good!

Sweet son
Sweet son 11/13/12 - 11:58 am
Parade in Augusta! LOL!

When the organizers get the RC High School bands together on Broad Street there will be enough gyrating to shake the sidewalks. Likely it will we as bad as one of the trio acts on Dancing With the Stars last night. Wife made me watch. For me to say it was gross then it was pretty bad!

whyme
whyme 11/13/12 - 12:51 pm
the parade

I just don't understand how the parents of these groups don't have a problem with the dances and costumes of their children. I participate with a group that has a float in the parade and we are very conservative in our attire and dance steps. We wouldn't have it any other way. I would never let my child wear a costume anywhere that has her private parts hanging out, nor would I support her dancing in the manner that these young folks do. Am I a prude? There is a time and place for everything and a family-friendly Christmas parade is not the time nor the place for this sort of thing. Yes, I'm sure people would complain about prejudice but I've also seen it with some of the jazz groups from Columbia County, predominantly white. I stood one year next to some men who were so disgusting in their comments and gestures towards these kids that I called them out on it and walked away. Are there no rules or dress codes for the parade? Where are the city leaders or ministers at these times? Who is actually in charge of this event?

happychimer
happychimer 11/13/12 - 02:23 pm
I remember Lawrence Welk, and

I remember Lawrence Welk, and I loved that show.

happychimer
happychimer 11/13/12 - 03:22 pm
KSL lightened my picture for

KSL lightened my picture for me.You can click on my name and see it bigger.