Augusta man killed while crossing road to gas station

Thursday, Nov. 8, 2012 9:09 PM
Last updated 11:09 PM

An Augusta man was killed on Mike Padgett Highway on Thursday night as he walked to a gas station to refill his car.

At 6:22 p.m., a 2003 Dodge Dakota pickup was traveling northbound on Mike Padgett near 4H Club Road when it hit Brian Boings, Richmond County Sheriff’s Capt. Scott Gay said.

Boings, 27, crossed the southbound lanes before being hit , Gay said. He was pronounced dead at Medical College of Georgia Hospital.

No charges will be filed, Gay said.

KSL
KSL 11/08/12 - 10:46 pm
His car ran out of gas?

His car ran out of gas?

InChristLove
InChristLove 11/08/12 - 10:47 pm
We pulled into this gas

We pulled into this gas station right after this occurred and witnessed EMT trying to resusitate this young man. Makes you realized who precious life is and how soon you can pass from this world. May God be with his mother, comfort and keep her.

InChristLove
InChristLove 11/08/12 - 10:48 pm
KSL, his vehicle ran out of

KSL, his vehicle ran out of gas and he was walking to the station at Hwy 56 and Old Waynesboro Rd.

happychimer
happychimer 11/08/12 - 11:36 pm
Maybe the gas gauge was not

Maybe the gas gauge was not working. It can happen.I know someone who ran out of gas because the gas gauge stopped working. She walked to get gas and ended up a crime victim.

InChristLove
InChristLove 11/08/12 - 11:43 pm
KSL, I appreciate your

KSL, I appreciate your sentiment on responsiblity but actually witnessing this death I suppose I'm a little more sympathetic of the situation. I'm not sure but I believe the mother was on the scene and very upset. There are people out there that are far worse off than I and I'm only assuming here but I believe they were trying to make it to the gas station. Hwy 56 is a very busy road and only a slight miscalculation in timing is all it takes to end up in the same situation as this young man. I'm assuming he was heading to the service station because heading north on Hwy 56 before you get to Old Waynesboro Rd there is only one place to get gas for approximately 7 maybe 10 miles. Most older cars do not have low fuel warnings on them and it is extremely hard to estimate how many miles you have left in older cars.

Either way, the man is dead and a family is hurting. My prayers go up for them.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 11/09/12 - 12:36 am
Dark

It's dark out there, folks. Watch out.

gargoyle
gargoyle 11/09/12 - 12:36 am
Class act KSL. My prayers go

Class act KSL. My prayers go up to Mr. Boings and family

Tullie
Tullie 11/09/12 - 06:55 am
KSL said:

I am 65 plus years and I have never run out of gas, nor gone out with a boy in high school who claimed to. Sorry he was hit, but putting yourself in a position to have to cross a dangerous road because you pressed the limit?

KSL, you sound as though you have been very fortunate in life and have made very wise decisions.

You have to realize that sometimes, through no fault of their own, people can lose their jobs, have a medical crisis in the family, divorce, etc. These things can drastically change a person's financial situation.

We don't need to autimatically assume he just didn't watch his gauge or even that is was broken. It could simply have been he did not have the money to get gas until Thursday (maybe he got paid on Thursday or maybe a family member or friend came through and gave him some money to get some gas) and thought he could make it to the gas station. Maybe it was his Mother's car and he was helping her out..who knows what really happened here?

Obviously, he did not. Sometimes it is hard to pay for even the simple things in life, like gas, when you hit a rough patch in life.

seenitB4
seenitB4 11/09/12 - 07:54 am
Lordy

Sometimes I can't believe what I'm reading.....so sad for this family.....& yes ICL I do think I would feel the same ...

KSL
KSL 11/09/12 - 10:27 am
Tullie

I have been very fortunate .. I was reared by loving parents, with grandparents next door, who all expected me to make responsible decisions.

I am very sorry for the man who lost his life and for his family.

Before I had a cell phone, I had a sign to put in the window of my car with big red letters saying "call police." It was provided by a safety expert who spoke to us about safrty and making decisions that would minimize risk in my profession.

MD2013
MD2013 11/09/12 - 11:29 am
What makes you guys think you

What makes you guys think you have the right to question an event like this? This is a tragedy and an accident. Have some respect for the people involved and if you can't keep it reasonable then take your comments to a different post.

Mudge
Mudge 11/09/12 - 11:43 am
Comments

This is not directed toward anyone in particular but I was raised by loving parents and they always told me if you ever hear anyone tooting their own horn at a moment of sorrow you should direct your sorrow to them because they usually have a miserable life. It was also stressed that when there is time for sorrow you will always have the Masters of the Obvious come out and act as sages. Oh Lord if we could all be as perfect as some would have us believe they are. In all honesty who cares what you did or didn't do. Who cares what you think. Sometimes comments show the true smallness of people trying to act big.

Native007
Native007 11/09/12 - 11:49 am
It's sad that the gas

It's sad that the gas shortages from the hurricane have reached Augusta. Maybe we could have avoided this.

Mudge
Mudge 11/09/12 - 11:58 am
Comments

You know when someone says something like "I love you..but" they don't really mean it. Or when someone says "I am very sorry for the family's loss in this accident" and then continues on talking about themselves. It's kinda the same thing. You know, I'll say this because it's expected of me, but I really want to toot my horn so let me talk about me some more. Kinda disgusting. Pompous self righteous people probably do not realize or care how they come across as long as they can talk about themselves. My 2 cents.

palmetto1008
palmetto1008 11/09/12 - 12:34 pm
Mudge, it is a

Mudge, it is a pattern...you'll get used to if you stay around here awhile. It's almost unbelievable.

Mudge
Mudge 11/09/12 - 12:42 pm
palmetto1008

I have seen the comments before. I honestly believe it is just someone joking around at an inappropriate time, which all says something about there intelligence. Little or no regard for others as long as they get there laugh in while making callous remarks. No one can be that screwed up in real life.

OpenCurtain
OpenCurtain 11/09/12 - 12:45 pm
InChristLove - We must have been near to each other last night.

I too came by 19:15 and turned off on to OWR when I saw the 2 police car with Blue Lights on, in the middle of the road, just pass the gas station.

This is the spot that starts the most dangerous part of HWY 56.
No turn or safety lane in the middle for several miles. Just a 6inch wide yellow paint stripe between drivers and a Head On collusion.

RANT TO THE GADOT
Add another death to the long list, while we still wait on the promised safety corrections, that were made to us back in of 2010.

Sad, another 100 feet closer to the stoplight and he would have had a safe standing area in the middle.

InChristLove
InChristLove 11/09/12 - 01:30 pm
OpenCurtain, totally agree

OpenCurtain, totally agree that this is a very dangerous area. From OWR to Brown Road is nothing but a death trap race track. Along with no turn or safety lane, people zoom down this road like they are on I-20.

Mudge, I understand your aggravation with some who post here but I fail to see how your three comment berating is helping. You made your point now it appears you are becoming pompous and self righteous. None of us are perfect individuals and some make more mistakes than others, lets just leave it at that, please.

Mudge
Mudge 11/09/12 - 01:41 pm
ICL

My comments weren't made to help anything no more than yours are. They were made to express my thoughts at certain individuals postings. Although unless my computer is messed I don't see the offending comments anymore. So maybe they did help.

rebellious
20780
rebellious 11/09/12 - 01:56 pm
Open Curtain

Are you getting my messages?

whyme
whyme 11/09/12 - 02:13 pm
once again...

to those of you who read the brief article and now choose to speculate on what happened, what shouldn't have happened, how someone should or should not be feeling...a life is gone and all that should be mentioned here is condolences to the family or prayers for his soul. Period. Negativity has no place.

InChristLove
InChristLove 11/09/12 - 02:24 pm
Negativity has no

Negativity has no place...thank you whyme....what I was trying to say but evidently I didn't explain it to mudge very well.

Mudge
Mudge 11/09/12 - 02:36 pm
Amen

whyme Great comment, straight to the point. Too many have lost loved ones for such awful reasons.

OpenCurtain
OpenCurtain 11/09/12 - 04:03 pm
InChristLove - ???

Sorry I am somewhat confused by your comment.
Maybe you are misunderstanding the intent of my comment.

The is point GADOT's failure to quickly address this ongoing problem after the SouthSide living with it for 10++ years, we have added yet another death to the list.

The AC earlier this year verified this proving Hwy56 was the deadliest hwy in Richmond Co.

My other statement was if only the killed person had made it another 100 feet up the street, he would stood a better chance having the Safety Island to area to stand in.

OpenCurtain
OpenCurtain 11/09/12 - 04:01 pm
rebellious - Nope

Not the 1st one yet?
Check you email I send one out to you 30+/- mins ago.
With 2 addresses.

seenitB4
seenitB4 11/09/12 - 04:38 pm
Rebel......

Do you & open have something going on?? hahah

just kidding just kidding.....:)

OpenCurtain
OpenCurtain 11/09/12 - 05:09 pm
Oh SiB4 - given the menu

it could be a field day of 1 liners.

Best not used considering the topic we are currently blogging under.

OpenCurtain
OpenCurtain 11/09/12 - 05:12 pm
My deepest regards to the family that has lost a member.

Would someone share something about the person?

So he will be more than just a name.
Like who he was, what he loved to do, what he did, and family ties?

InChristLove
InChristLove 11/09/12 - 05:22 pm
Well OpenCurtian, this makes

Well OpenCurtian, this makes two of us confused..... I assumed (and maybe that is where my problem lies) that you were making a statement on how dangerous Hwy 56 is and my comment was in agreement with you. Is this not the opinon you got from what I wrote?