Rants & Raves

Comments from readers:

I WOULD RATHER have had the University of Augusta, but I can accept and live with Georgia Regents University Augusta. The name change was the right thing to do. God is good all the time.

GEORGIA REGENTS University Augusta name change will not go back to the Board of Regents for a renaming. I smell a trick. Watch out. Don’t trust that Ricardo Azziz guy. He ain’t from around here.

I CANNOT FIND WORDS to thank Christian Brander and all the employees at Kroger on Washington Road for the compassion and care expressed for my son David on his death Sunday. It meant so much to his mother and me.

IT’S STILL A GRUESOME name. So, Augusta is just on the brand and logo? Boo hiss boo.

RANTS TO THE REGENTS. How many millions of dollars was wasted with the name change because of the arrogance of the Board of Regents?

NICK EVANS SOLD US out. He can get on the same plane with Dr. Azziz back to California.

THE ‘CHEERING’ residents of Cherry Tree Crossing don’t even realize they are totally controlled by government.

RANT TO THE Richmond County sheriff’s deputy on duty Saturday night at Red Wing Rollerway. He was too busy on Facebook and watching the Georgia game on TV in the snack bar to do job of making sure the children were safe.

I KNOW PEOPLE IN Cherry Tree housing project need somewhere to go, but please, please, I hope they don’t come to south Augusta. South Augusta is oversaturated now.

SHAME ON YOU, Mr. Evans for giving up! I wasn’t aware that my “Save the A” sign stood for Azziz! I’m really disappointed!

I WOULD LIKE TO thank The Chronicle and all the media that ran the story of my 79-year-old father, Marion Keith Jordan, who was missing. I would like to thank everyone who helped search for him, visited and called with their concern. I would like to thank the Richmond County Sheriff’s Office for the quick response to find him and every law enforcement agency involved with his safe recovery. Special thanks to Investigator Charlene Durrence for her efforts and encouragement when the situation seemed grave. I speak for the Jordan family that we are grateful and appreciate everything that has been done for my father.

justthefacts
justthefacts 11/08/12 - 06:05 pm
noted

noted

KSL
KSL 11/08/12 - 06:12 pm
"noted"

Reminds me of the old days.

I imagine that sometime during the next four years there will be many who supported Obama finding out something they cannot stand.

happychimer
happychimer 11/08/12 - 06:15 pm
KSL you said about the same

KSL you said about the same thing 4 yrs ago.

justthefacts
justthefacts 11/08/12 - 06:18 pm
PTHS

KSL, yep, he was a classic.

YeCats
YeCats 11/08/12 - 06:38 pm
POPULAR VOTE, per AP Obama

POPULAR VOTE, per AP
Obama 50% (58,779,121 votes) . . . Romney 48% (56,518,209)

In 2008, Obama got 53% (69,498,215 votes) and McCain got 46% (59,948,240)

So Romney down 3.4MM from last election, Obama down 10.8MM

Voting totals looks like down 8%. Voting population can't be down.

Wonder if some evangelicals stayed home?

Retired Army
Retired Army 11/08/12 - 06:42 pm
Good Afternoon!

Looked outside a minute ago. The sky still seems to be in place.

happychimer
happychimer 11/08/12 - 06:45 pm
Retired Army amazing ain't

Retired Army amazing ain't it!hahaha

YeCats
YeCats 11/08/12 - 06:57 pm
Just Checked:

Looks dark where I'm is. Got to get use to this time change.

KSL
KSL 11/08/12 - 07:16 pm
More stuff will come out this

More stuff will come out this time cause he won't have need to suppress it, unless it is considered criminal. And I don't doubt for a minute that there is ,at the very least, some fraud that has occurred with his sanction.

KSL
KSL 11/08/12 - 07:19 pm
I reckon a lot of people

I reckon a lot of people bought the Obama campaign lies about Romney.

KSL
KSL 11/08/12 - 07:28 pm
And

Were uninspired to vote for either.

Interesting that so many fewer voted for Obama this time around. Hardly a convincing mandate for Obama's policies.

harley_52
harley_52 11/08/12 - 07:44 pm
"I reckon a lot of people....

....I reckon a lot of people bought the Obama campaign lies about Romney."

Absolutely.

What we learned (again) is that it's difficult to run against a candidate/campaign willing to lie about virtually everything AND a complicit news media willing to unabashedly support those lies.

Republicans are going to have to learn how to defeat both the democrat candidates AND the Press.

happychimer
happychimer 11/08/12 - 07:51 pm
The election is over.

The election is over. Hopefully repubs will meet democrats half way and work together now. The people have spoken, and are tired of all the nonsense of the no party.

Jake
Jake 11/08/12 - 08:05 pm
Grapes

They grow a lot of grapes out here. I prefer the sweet ones. Some folks like the sour ones. Matter of taste, I guess.

Willow Bailey
20580
Willow Bailey 11/08/12 - 08:05 pm
I just wish the people would

I just wish the people would learn the old adage...THINK, before you speak. It's really an awakening to realize what kind of country we now have. As John Berry sang, Give Me Back My America!

Jake
Jake 11/08/12 - 08:09 pm
@Willow

Many people were singing that same song when Bush, Clinton, Bush #1, Reagan, Carter, Nixon, etc, etc, etc, were in power. It will be OK, America will survive.

happychimer
happychimer 11/08/12 - 08:24 pm
My America never went away.

My America never went away. It is here and going strong.

Willow Bailey
20580
Willow Bailey 11/08/12 - 08:26 pm
Yes, Jake, with a lot of

Yes, Jake, with a lot of pain. Someone has to pay the debts. You, me, our children, grandchildren for generations to come. This is much more than politics as usual. Only a fool believes one can spend their way to prosperity. Have you tried it at your house?

happychimer
happychimer 11/08/12 - 08:29 pm
Republicans' efforts to undo

Republicans' efforts to undo President Barack Obama's health care overhaul appear to have come to an end. Boehner: 'Obamacare is the law of the land'

happychimer
happychimer 11/08/12 - 08:32 pm
Repubs know they have to

Repubs know they have to change their actions in order to even have a chance of winning the 2016 election. I think congress will work closer together this next 4 years.

Augusta resident
Augusta resident 11/08/12 - 08:38 pm
White flag

I think the Dems will concede to the repubs and try to get help in saving the economy. Just watch and learn. The repubs looked pretty cool today. They know the Dems need help and will probly give it.

Willow Bailey
20580
Willow Bailey 11/08/12 - 08:54 pm
We are in a deep abyss

We are in a deep abyss clinging to a rotten rope.

YeCats
YeCats 11/08/12 - 09:02 pm
If Romney would have got

If Romney would have got McCain's '08 total, he'd had him in the popular.

Days before the election, the poll readers all said the Obama would not get his totals as '08. And most stated that Republicans were motivated. Thus, a few predictions of a Romney win, even a landslide.

Looking at the numbers, Obama was set to go down. I know in my home state primary, Newt won. Afterwards, folks I talked to said they couldn't vote for a Mormon. Cool, your choice. In the national, with obamacare, gridlock, and a 16.2 trillion dollar debt, how could ANYONE, (except straight ticket dems), not vote for a proven business person?

13MM+ didn't show. Close election. It shouldn't have been.

No sour grapes here, the people have spoken.

Jake
Jake 11/08/12 - 09:41 pm
Popular

Do you think that being a Mormon sunk Romney? Maybe, I guess.
Look at the candidate line-up the Republicans had. Cain, Bachman, Newt, Santorum, Paul, Perry and I am probably missing some others. It was hard to remember or keep up with.
Bottom line is that I thought that Romney was going to be the man from the outset because he was the easiest to swallow. The others did not appeal to the middle of the road voters which you have to do. It is pretty much acknowledged that Romney was the best the Republicans had to offer with a chance to win. But the man did not have enough appeal to the middle. Choosing Ryan as a running mate did not seem to help.
It will be interesting to see who will rise up in the Republican party and Democratic also, to challenge in 2016.

jojoagogo
jojoagogo 11/08/12 - 10:07 pm
Paine College students

Rant to the many Paine College students that called the Lion's baseball playing son of Mary Liz of WGAC's morning show with Harley Drew a "white cracker" after the election; by their way of thinking President Obama is a 50% "white cracker." I shudder to think what would have happened to him on campus if Gov. Mitt Romney had won!

YeCats
YeCats 11/08/12 - 10:17 pm
Jake,

It didn't keep JFK from winning in'60, being Catholic, even though it was discussed. And my home state went red, so personally I don't think being Mormon, hurt him here or the other red states. But lots of folks didn't show, somewhere. Need to break it down state by state.

AFA Ryan, should have been good for the base and the northeast. Yet, either one didn't win their home state.

McCain hit a juggernaut in '08. Tough race. But he still pulled almost 60MM. The extra voters that McCain had didn't move toward the left, look at Obama's differential. So where are they?

Rapture? No, I'm still here. :-)

Maybe Willow is right. Uninspired. Tired of government/gridlock. The only thing I think is the right is going to have to redefine themselves. The left has done a marvelous job of doing the defining. Particularly, with the young.

The home team is hard to beat. "The times, they are 'achanging."

Gage Creed
Gage Creed 11/08/12 - 10:31 pm
The people have spoken

The people have spoken (56,518,209 of them), and are tired of all the nonsense of the give it alll away party!

harley_52
harley_52 11/08/12 - 11:07 pm
"They grow a lot of grapes out here....

.... I prefer the sweet ones. Some folks like the sour ones. Matter of taste, I guess."

Yes, Jake, you're a wonderful fellow. No gloating, or rubbing it in from you for sure. Losers aren't allowed any post-game analysis, or discussion.

Sorry, but I'm not happy about what's happening to this Country and I surely won't agree there's anything worth celebrating with your "sweet grapes."

And you're right that it's a "matter of taste." It's also a matter of survival.

Jake
Jake 11/09/12 - 12:08 am
harley.......

If it's a matter of survival, then by all means, buy more weaponry and ammunition as seems to be the trend for the more frightened ones after elections. Me? I believe my survival is pretty safe.
Can you believe us stupid Californians voted ourselves a tax increase? I mean what we actually did was vote a fund to go to the public education system only. I wish we all, as taxpayers, would be able to vote for where we wanted our taxes to go.

Willow Bailey
20580
Willow Bailey 11/09/12 - 02:10 am
What is completely

What is completely unacceptable is the fact that 47 percent of Americans are on the government teat. And that is no accident, it's a plan. The inmates are in charge of the asylum. The masses are godless, have no moral code and want to be taken care of by others.

Did evangelicals have a difficult time voting for a Mormon? I think some did. It isn't the same thing as opposing a Catholic. More than that, I believe a vast number of the 47 preventers do not want jobs, So what Romney thought to be good news was actually a strong reason to oppose his presidency.

As private business owners, we have not seen a black male apply for a job in over 20 years. They have completely disappeared from our work force. Do you suppose they are all in school earning their degrees? I surely hope so, but local news doesn't support that theory much.

Commission to discuss administrator position

Two significant city appointments return to the forefront at a regular Tuesday meeting of the Augusta Commission. Commissioner Ben Hasan, just appointed to the District 6 commission seat last ...