Rants & Raves

Comments from readers:

I WOULD RATHER have had the University of Augusta, but I can accept and live with Georgia Regents University Augusta. The name change was the right thing to do. God is good all the time.

GEORGIA REGENTS University Augusta name change will not go back to the Board of Regents for a renaming. I smell a trick. Watch out. Don’t trust that Ricardo Azziz guy. He ain’t from around here.

I CANNOT FIND WORDS to thank Christian Brander and all the employees at Kroger on Washington Road for the compassion and care expressed for my son David on his death Sunday. It meant so much to his mother and me.

IT’S STILL A GRUESOME name. So, Augusta is just on the brand and logo? Boo hiss boo.

RANTS TO THE REGENTS. How many millions of dollars was wasted with the name change because of the arrogance of the Board of Regents?

NICK EVANS SOLD US out. He can get on the same plane with Dr. Azziz back to California.

THE ‘CHEERING’ residents of Cherry Tree Crossing don’t even realize they are totally controlled by government.

RANT TO THE Richmond County sheriff’s deputy on duty Saturday night at Red Wing Rollerway. He was too busy on Facebook and watching the Georgia game on TV in the snack bar to do job of making sure the children were safe.

I KNOW PEOPLE IN Cherry Tree housing project need somewhere to go, but please, please, I hope they don’t come to south Augusta. South Augusta is oversaturated now.

SHAME ON YOU, Mr. Evans for giving up! I wasn’t aware that my “Save the A” sign stood for Azziz! I’m really disappointed!

I WOULD LIKE TO thank The Chronicle and all the media that ran the story of my 79-year-old father, Marion Keith Jordan, who was missing. I would like to thank everyone who helped search for him, visited and called with their concern. I would like to thank the Richmond County Sheriff’s Office for the quick response to find him and every law enforcement agency involved with his safe recovery. Special thanks to Investigator Charlene Durrence for her efforts and encouragement when the situation seemed grave. I speak for the Jordan family that we are grateful and appreciate everything that has been done for my father.

mstharris
mstharris 11/07/12 - 08:09 pm
2012 Elections

Rants to all that did not get out and exercise your right to vote in the national or local elections. Keep your complants to yourself about the winners! Now, to the winners: please pick up your campaign signs that are placed all over Augusta!

Jake
Jake 11/07/12 - 09:26 pm
Augusta name

I guess when all else fails then keep bringing the name thing up. Should promote some comments. I think by now almost everyone knows that the name thing has been a fiasco. I doubt that the name GRUA is going to change.

Jake
Jake 11/07/12 - 09:30 pm
Mr Jordan

Now that is a nice story about police, community and the Augusta Chronicle. I hope everything is good in the Jordan household now.

rebellious
rebellious 11/08/12 - 12:13 am
Strange indeed

how all the sudden there are all of these comments on Nick Evans and the name change. Somebody pick up a categorically sorted stack for the press run today?

Augusta resident
Augusta resident 11/08/12 - 12:33 am
Signs

I agree, everyone remove your signs, they block my view at stop signs.
I Augusta State a satellite campus? GRU Augusta sounds similar to USC Aiken.

countyman
20588
countyman 11/08/12 - 01:02 am
Georgia Trend Magazine

Georgia Trend Magazine featured a story on the Georgia Economic Developers Association 2012 'Deal of the Year' awards. The city of Augusta won the award in the large population category(over 100k)...

I can understand why many people compare Augusta to Raleigh before the rapid growth.. The metro area is definitely becoming one of the most high tech for our size(GGHF site, Plant Vogtle, ESI, Rural Sourcing, NSA, Bridgestone, Rockwood, Augusta Regional Industrial Park, Starbucks, Medical District, Augusta Corporate Park, etc) in the US.

Sprouse says the Starbucks site selection group looked at sites in North Carolina and South Carolina, as well as Augusta. “We worked with them for about a year,” he says. “One of the things they told us about the two other communities they visited was that they both had excellent industrial sites and Augusta had a very good site, but not an excellent one. ‘You guys have an excellent quality of life, but the other two have a good quality of life.”

Then, Sprouse says, the deal came down to one brief comment. “I said, ‘Give us three months and we can make our very good industrial site excellent, but they can’t make their quality of life excellent in three months.’”

Starbucks landed in Augusta/Richmond County, bringing jobs with salaries about 30 percent higher than the average pay there.

countyman
20588
countyman 11/08/12 - 02:34 am
''Approximately 75 percent of

''Approximately 75 percent of the plant’s workforce will be comprised of skilled processing workers, including maintenance and engineering technicians as well as roasting operators, soluble process operators, and packaging operators. The remaining 25 percent will be comprised of management and administrative staff.''

This is good news because Augusta was was ranked #1 for engineers in terms of actual vs expected wages. Engineers make $39.36 in Augusta, and only $39.54 in NYC.

seenitB4
seenitB4 11/08/12 - 05:31 am
The rant said...

Yeh...I smell it too....he ain't from around here fo sho.....I bet he couldn't kill a deer if his life depended on it...or drink shine....

seenitB4
seenitB4 11/08/12 - 05:30 am
Another rant...

Where will they go then......if not south....where does deke live....or countyman.....gosh darn...I bet they don't have room either.....maybe a nice hotel type building ...say on Walton Way......or Wheeler.....maybe near Barrows place......oh heck...let's just ask them where they want to live.....they might say Martinez....ya guess??

seenitB4
seenitB4 11/08/12 - 05:40 am
Rebel said on another thread.....

It's OK

if commissioner Wayne Guilfoyle has swung a deal for 50 million to be spent south of say Tobacco Road, and I would accept Meadowbrook/Rosier/Phinizy Road line. Heck I would buy into a Gordon Hwy line, but that money would be dumped into Hyde Park, which really isn't contaminated and is a boondogle for some new landowners.

Hey Reb......do ya think he can swing 50 mill for south Augusta.....we will keep it quiet Wayne if ya can...maybe we need our own government south of the Gordon hy......we could make Wayne the mayor or something...... put Freddie in charge of finance..

seenitB4
seenitB4 11/08/12 - 05:43 am
IT’S STILL A GRUESOME name.

Yes it is .....

OK now cgee.....that is all I can do for r/rs today......they just don't excite me....

seenitB4
seenitB4 11/08/12 - 05:55 am
Question..

If Williams hasn't mellowed will the commish meetings be more fun to watch??

seenitB4
seenitB4 11/08/12 - 06:11 am
techfan gave us this info on another article

Percent of population in Ga. under age 1 that is a non-white:58.8%
Racial and ethnic minorities accounted for 91.7% of the growth in US population, 2000-2010, whites accounted for 8.3% off the growth.

Weelll ...we can't have babies while we pay for others to have them ...now can we...who is going to feed the younguns...send them to school....we gotta work.

seenitB4
seenitB4 11/08/12 - 06:16 am
For George Clooney lovers...:)

My work here is done....I stirred the pot....:)

dhpsmp
dhpsmp 11/08/12 - 07:20 am
Lee Anderson

Years ago when Gwen Fulcher Young was just Gwen Fulcher, there were pictures and stories of and about her that were circulated around town. Her comments about Lee Anderson and Honey Boo Boo pale in comparison to what she could be called.

Tullie
Tullie 11/08/12 - 07:29 am
seenitB4 said:

If Williams hasn't mellowed will the commish meetings be more fun to watch??

dhpsmp
dhpsmp 11/08/12 - 07:36 am
John Barrow

Now that John Barrow won, will he and his boyfriend move to Washington and take Barney Franks position?

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 11/08/12 - 08:14 am
Good Morning Friends and TSDs

As I look around, I see the battle field is almost cleared, the wounded are being pick up, the winners are shining their brass and the atmosphere is like nothing has happened.

The American Flag is still flying, battered, torn and at half mast. The question is can it survive?

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 11/08/12 - 08:17 am
R&Rs

back to GRU. As you know I don't debate this issue, have no need to, so I will be pretty died for me on here today.

Riverman1
Riverman1 11/08/12 - 08:24 am
Chronicle Story on DA Election?

I know who won the election, but I heard Evita Paschall got 65% of the Richmond Cty vote. Did I miss a story on that race? Also, what were the results, county breakdown and statewide results on the Charter School amendment? All I saw was one line in the CCNT that it passed in Columbia Cty and statewide. Did I miss that too?

griff6035
griff6035 11/08/12 - 08:20 am
Children

Married responsible white couples had better get busy procreating before it is to late. On the news last night it was stated that every 30 seconds a Hispanic child turned 18. That is 50,000 a month ready to vote.

Riverman1
Riverman1 11/08/12 - 08:24 am
We should all be brown and

We should all be brown and will be one day. No blacks, whites or Hispanics.

Riverman1
Riverman1 11/08/12 - 08:32 am
South Augusta Get Something? You Got That Wrong.

Soon as the Richmond Cty turnover of government to the leftist column is complete, $50 million will be sent to Laney Walker without the need of a TEE Center bribe. South Augusta will have property confiscated for the good of the majority of the people downtown through taxation under a Five Year Plan. Forward.

seenitB4
seenitB4 11/08/12 - 08:42 am
CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 11/08/12 - 08:49 am
Last Rant

Ain't it nice to see good things can be done when no politics are involved.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 11/08/12 - 08:58 am
This Morning

as I sat outside overlooking my 21 acre pool, I was very evident that many poor Bambi's were meeting their Waterloo. Sounds like living next to a gun range

Willow Bailey
20603
Willow Bailey 11/08/12 - 09:08 am
CG, Monday night I came home

CG, Monday night I came home after dark and as I turned into my driveway a buck with a full rack ccame meandering down the side towards my car. He had no fear of me whatsoever. I'm glad he didn't panic, but still wish he had some concern.

Willow Bailey
20603
Willow Bailey 11/08/12 - 09:14 am
Celebrated the election being

Celebrated the election being over last night at Frog Hollow's on Broad. For those of you who haven't been, the atmosphere is very mice, the food is like nothing else in Augusta and our waiter was superb. It's like Charleston dining. The location is good also. You do need reservations.

Riverman1
Riverman1 11/08/12 - 09:16 am
I literally have deer in my

I literally have deer in my yard every day and night. They are like birds on the lawn. I also see them swimming across the river where it is very wide to and from the South Carolina side. I also see a coyote now and then...probably because of the deer.

Willow Bailey
20603
Willow Bailey 11/08/12 - 09:16 am
Oops, change mice to nice.

Oops, change mice to nice.

Morning wreck slows traffic

Expect delays at Peach Orchard Road near Bobby Jones Expressway after a wreck involving an 18-wheeler.