Rants & Raves

Comments from readers:

RAVE FOR THE STAFF on the first and fourth floors of the cardiac care unit at University Hospital. They are some of the best nurses I have ever run into. I praise each and every one of you.

I WOULD LIKE TO SAY a word in defense of Lance Armstrong. Maybe he did take drugs, but I think people should also remember the fact that he raised an awful lot of money for charity. So he did do a lot of good.

BIG BIRD IS a one percenter!

THANK YOU, GEORGE from WJBF, for coming back and giving us a good weather report.

THERE IS A LOT OF activity on Peach Orchard Road. It needs a 24/7 restaurant. We will welcome you to south Augusta.

HOW MANY TIMES CAN one student be suspended (twice in two weeks) before the board takes notice that there is something wrong besides “just an unruly child.” Who is in charge down there at the school board?

I JUST MADE A TRIP from North Augusta to Atlanta. I used to think the traffic was the most dangerous part of the drive, but I have to say the tire debris left on the highway by 18-wheelers is the most dangerous.

RANT TO COLUMBIA County for wasting taxpayers’ money on a caution light at William Few Parkway and Chamblin Road. It is useless; it already had a stop sign!

WHY ON GOD’S GREEN earth did the editorial staff of the Chronicle in the Oct. 24 column fail to mention the heroic military service of George McGovern? Apologize to all veterans of any political stripe and move on.

J.D. PAUGH WASN’T THE officer who got killed in the line of duty. It is sad that others who have lost loved ones have to look at this every time they turn the TV on it is something about J.D. Paugh.

I AGREE with the ranters about the loud karaoke at Mi Rancho at the Riverwalk. I paid good money for my condo in River Place, but if I knew I would be subjected to this noise on a nightly basis I would have chosen someplace else.

WHY MAKE A MOVIE about James Brown? They should find something more worthwhile to make a movie about than him.

Jake
Jake 11/06/12 - 08:38 pm
McGovern

I have often been critical of the AC Editorials but I thought they did a very good job on the McGovern article. I believe they mentioned his WWII service as well.

Jake
Jake 11/06/12 - 08:42 pm
James Brown

"Mr Dynamite" was a very interesting, talented, generous and provocative person. Those four traits alone in one person would be more than enough to warrant a movie. I hope it happens because I know the music score is going to be "Out of Sight".

countyman
countyman 11/07/12 - 12:44 am
Dennys was suppose to open up

Dennys was suppose to open up a 24 hr restaurant on Peach Orchard. I believe the Target shopping center will locate to the Peach Orchard/I-520 interchange, and have a couple of those restaurants. The money in South Augusta is located mostly south of Tobacco rd, but the infrastructure lies next to Peach Orchard/I-520. Five Guys & Edible Arrangements are coming to the area(Colony Plaza).

The last ranter needs to the read the definition of superstars.

KJ Market is coming to Grovetown, and should break ground next month. The grocery store opened in the city limits of Hephzibah earlier in this year. I think the location is somewhere off Lewiston rd/Horizon South Pkwy.

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 11/07/12 - 06:10 am
Congratulations

To the Emperor on his win. Just one question, who is he going to blame the mess of the last 4 years on?

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 11/07/12 - 06:20 am
Thanks for the birthday wishes

But Jake, quit making me older than I am! I am only 39, yesterday just happened to be the 15th anniversary of my 39th birthday (regardless of what Trouble might tell you).

Since I didn't get what I really wanted for my birthday, I will settle for what I am entitled to, thank you in advance Obama supporters for my boat, motor, and trailer.

seenitB4
seenitB4 11/07/12 - 06:31 am
Buffett says economy will rebound...with either candidate...

Buffett said he thinks the economy will improve no matter whether President Barack Obama or Republican nominee Mitt Romney wins although he supports Obama. Buffett said he thinks the biggest differences between the two men are on social issues and who they would appoint as judges.

"I think the economy will get better under either one of them," Buffett said.

Buffett said the U.S. housing industry is starting to rebound, but it is still well off its peak. Buffett says Clayton is selling 10 percent to 15 percent more manufactured homes and Berkshire's real estate brokers are handling 15 percent more transactions.

He said the housing recovery will help hiring eventually.

Tullie
Tullie 11/07/12 - 06:37 am
Roadkill said:

Bush, they are still blaming everything on him.

Tullie
Tullie 11/07/12 - 06:40 am
James Brown Rant

Some of the locals apparently have no idea the impact Mr. Brown had on the music industry. I think that is very sad.

seenitB4
seenitB4 11/07/12 - 06:40 am
It isn't just the black vote----the womans vote matters

Half a century on from a time when birth control was illegal and sex discrimination was the norm, many Americans might not have realized how far we've come. Thanks to 2012's preview of the Republican time machine, now we know. The GOP has chosen the wrong side on one of the fundamental global questions of the 21st century: women's equality. Still clinging to their old-timey views about helpful helpmeets and wanton wenches, the Republican party is in imminent danger of being permanently left behind.

Tullie
Tullie 11/07/12 - 06:43 am
Jimmy Buffet

needs to lay off the margaritas. So, he is a financial authority now?

Tullie
Tullie 11/07/12 - 06:47 am
Diane Sawyer

I have to say it.

Was she acting kinda of strange to anyone else? I thought she was acting like she had maybe a couple of drinks or something last night?

This was early, before the polls even closed.

seenitB4
seenitB4 11/07/12 - 06:51 am
My Rep friends....

I vote 85% Rep. in most elections....I try to find the best person in the race.....but I have said on here B4 & I will say it again.....when you have comments like ....legitimate rape.....or she has to have the baby even if raped....duh duh...you will continue to lose elections.....

Some won't like my comments ...so be it....jmo.....I have talked to some female friends & some left the party because of this .........I will be willing to bet though........the Reps won't ever run another Presidential election like this one EVER AGAIN!

seenitB4
seenitB4 11/07/12 - 06:56 am
Freddie Sanders

You gave it your best shot...thank you.....& thanks for being a gracious loser.....he will need all the help he can get.

allhans
allhans 11/07/12 - 07:02 am
We could have had Scott

We could have had Scott Peebles. I notice there was no cross over from Dems helping the Republican candidate.

allhans
allhans 11/07/12 - 07:10 am
When the Democrats see what

When the Democrats see what they have brought on themselves.
Those who depend on Medicaid will feel it first...

LillyfromtheMills
LillyfromtheMills 11/07/12 - 07:33 am
Jimmy Buffet -haha

And Diane was hammered! I agree B4 - the women went with the Dems for the reasons you stated.

seenitB4
seenitB4 11/07/12 - 07:37 am
80 years ole & he still won..

Still, it's likely Arpaio won. He led Penzone in the polls, although the sides differed as to how large of a lead it was. (There isn't much independent polling for the sheriff's race.) Arpaio raised $8.5 million to Penzone's $530,000, much of it from donors outside the state.

Arpaio is 80 years old and is relatively popular in his county and well-known around the country for his conservative stunts. Arpaio campaign manager Chad Willems said in October that voters there like him for the things that cause less national attention, such as his efforts to stop animal abuse.

Riverman1
Riverman1 11/07/12 - 07:53 am
The country has fundamentally

The country has fundamentally changed it appears. It's time to protect private assets from the redistribution theme of the Democrats. Forward and all that.

Locally, Roundtree is now the political head of the county. I hope he doesn't allow those with ulterior motives to get their hooks in him. Be
careful, Mr. Roundtree.

Marion Williams is back. Commission meetings will once again be like a ride on the super duper twister that was at the fair. I can't wait to see Deke's face the first time Williams goes off.

Fennoy should beat Aitken in the run-off as the others unite to unseat the incumbent.

Riverman1
Riverman1 11/07/12 - 07:56 am
SeenIt, Buffet...LOL.....You

SeenIt, Buffet...LOL.....You didn't say a word.

justthefacts
justthefacts 11/07/12 - 08:06 am
Just to clarify

Single women voted Dimly, married women voted Republican. I think married women are more interested in jobs.

seenitB4
seenitB4 11/07/12 - 08:12 am
Haha

Well RM...sometimes I can be quiet ....believe it or not.....it doesn't really matter does it.....some will be very unhappy today for many different reasons....but I think Warren Buffet is right....the economy WILL get better.....Richmond county Will be fine......even though it would have been great with Freddie......
The world is changing.....the Reps will need a nudge or two to accept that.......maybe bizkit was right...he said we will soon be a Brazilian look all over the world......I have seen the women in Brazil & they are BEAUTIFUL......can that be a bad thing....heh heh

seenitB4
seenitB4 11/07/12 - 08:18 am
jtf

Married & single women are interested in jobs...BUT they are also interested in having control over their OWN bodies....

The Rep. will have to accept that fact one day.....

HenryWalker3rd
HenryWalker3rd 11/07/12 - 08:34 am
It's a sad day in Augusta

It's a sad day in Augusta when someone actually says that a JB movie is not needed.............please step outside of the South....James Brown is LOVED around the world....too bad this city doesn't love him as much as he loved and represented the city of Augusta.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 11/07/12 - 08:35 am
Blame

Roadkill posted:

Congratulations to the Emperor on his win. Just one question, who is he going to blame the mess of the last 4 years on?

I guess he'll blame it on the 53% who pay federal income taxes.

In fact, his number one goal in the next two years is to increase the size of the group who does not pay federal income tax from 47% to a figure over 50%. That way, there will be no impediment to voting to take other people's money.

Tullie
Tullie 11/07/12 - 08:39 am
OMG

Warren Buffett..that financial authority *coughs*

What in the world made me think of Jimmy Buffett? I have totally lost it, all I can say.

I bet SeenitB4 was in shock when she saw what I wrote, I would have been, LOL.

I have no defense, I am crazy, I admit it.

justthefacts
justthefacts 11/07/12 - 08:45 am
Seenit

OK, exactly what position should Romney have taken? He clearly stated he understood the need for abortion in certain cases. Should he said he supported state sponsored free abortion clincis for all those wanting one?

allhans
allhans 11/07/12 - 12:40 pm
Buffet..An Obamanite for sure.

Buffet..An Omanite for sure.

loblolly
loblolly 11/07/12 - 08:44 am
The saddest thing

was watching Karl Rove, the architect of disaster, continue to be in denial about the election, and then being made fun of by the British (American Style) Tabloid FOX News Channel. OK, it really was funny, and I enjoyed it, because it seems like the Fox news anchors were all playing an acting role, and could care less about the right-wing agenda. They actually seemed happy that Bronco was winning.

HenryWalker3rd
HenryWalker3rd 11/07/12 - 08:48 am
Charter schools

"Charter schools are financed with public money but run by private organizations"

Sound familiar???

Sen. Vincent Fort, D-Atlanta, accused proponents of using vague ballot language — "Shall the Constitution of Georgia be amended to allow state or local approval of public charter schools upon the request of local communities?" They say it was intended to confuse voters about the real intent of the proposal.

"When the other side is willing to tell lies and then they have the money to spread them, it makes it hard," he said.

allhans
allhans 11/07/12 - 08:48 am
Which comes first...a woman's

Which comes first...a woman's right or the rights of the unborn child.
Using abortion as a means of birth control..Where does it end.

Kettle donations rise in 2014