Rants & Raves

Comments from readers:

EDITH AND ARCHIE Bunker were Honey Boo Boos. They are everywhere you go in the South. Sometimes, the truth hurts.

WE ARE ON THE Do Not Call telephone list; however, we get four or five calls per week from credit card service telling me my credit card is going to expire. Then the phone rings and it is someone telling me they are from the FBI and we are having break-ins in our neighborhood, which is false. Does anybody know who to stop these scammers? I am sick and tired of them using my phone, which I pay for, to promote their scams.

IF A CANDIDATE for the Augusta Commission works for the state in a position that requires him to be on call seven days per week, 24 hours per day and we pay him for that as an exempt employee, why would we want to pay him to be a commissioner? I bet if elected he will be a big no-show and we will not be represented.

A RANT TO SO-CALLED teachers and preachers who spew hate toward people, white or black, who disagree with them and call them racists and Uncle Toms. I am white and I did not vote for Obama, not because of color. He had no background in politics. No one knew him. I did not vote for Carter for the same reason. Only an idiot votes for someone because of the color of his skin.

I DID NOT HEAR A word about the five escaped prisoners on my phone machine. I live near that facility, and I would like to know if I could be in danger.

WHAT WAS SO surprising about the Cherry Tree Crossing story was that the mother, grandmother, nieces and
nephews all live in Cherry Tree Crossing. It must be a complex for people who don’t want to work or pay for their own rent. It is for generations of people in the same family living off the government and the taxpayers.

THE LONGER WE MAKE it easy for all these illegitimate babies to be born for these teens and the more money we give them when they have them, the more will have them.

I WOULD LIKE TO ASK for support for Freddie Sanders for sheriff of Richmond County. He has the qualifications and experience and is the best candidate.

GGpap
GGpap 10/31/12 - 07:44 pm
A Rant to SO-Called....

Experience counts?

So you'll vote for a failed ex-governor instead of a man that has served a couple years in the U.S. Senate and 4 years in the Presidency?

I'd suggest that you rethink who you'd choose to call an idiot.

GGpap

justthefacts
justthefacts 10/31/12 - 07:52 pm
Choice

Why vote for a failed President?

OpenCurtain
OpenCurtain 11/01/12 - 11:14 am
Yes, I am for Mr. Sanders

(Updated to corrected typo's only)

He has no baggage.
He is Professional, Ethical, and has done the job before.

Most of all, proven as a professional team builder. Having trained 2 of the best sheriffs we have had in Richmond Co. (Webster and Strength.) in his career.

A family man still married to the same wife, and for more years than his competitor was been dating.

Nothing in his past career requiring a 2nd chance.
Unlike his competitor who has needed many chances over and over in the last 10 years.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 10/31/12 - 07:59 pm
I Really Get Turned Off Reading the R&Rs.

"I AM CONSTANTLY getting a crease on the second page of the paper you have to unfold before you can even read it. Somebody needs to fix your machinery."

Somebody is complaining about a crease in their paper,,,,Geez...

With everything that is happening in America, Major Storms, Debt, Crimes, City Problems, Voting Corruption, Destruction Of Our Great Nation By King SMNCICBHO, One Sided Race Issues and an upcoming Election that will Make us or Break us and you can only B.....about a crease in your paper.
How can you survive with only that on your mind? Please AC, correct it before you have someone committing suicide.

Fools_and_sages
Fools_and_sages 10/31/12 - 08:03 pm
Birth control, real sex ed, and abortion?

So, I guess if you're against illegitimate children being born and using your tax dollars to pay for them, then you would be in favor measures that might prevent these children from ever being born in the first place-- such as public schools providing more than abstinence-only sex ed, easy access to free birth control, and access to safe abortions. But something tells me you don't favor any of those things either despite the fact that many studies show that keeping abortion legal and providing free access to birth control actually lowers abortion rates and the numbers of unwanted children much more effectively than outlawing abortion and reducing access to birth control. The problem is that people who are against welfare, medicaid, section 8, funding education properly, and allowing real sex ed in the schools also tend to be against birth control and abortion. And it doesn't make sense at all. It's downright contradictory to favor policies that make other policies you don't support necessary. I wish critical thinking, logic, and research into real facts played a larger role in how people formulate their opinions. Our country would be a better place if so many people didn't take what the media tells us at face value and actually looked up the data and facts for themselves so they could be truly informed instead of led like sheep into an illogical abyss of muckety-muck.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 10/31/12 - 08:03 pm
Did We Have A President The Last 4 Years?

I was hoping that America would elect one on the 6th instead of a socialist King.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 10/31/12 - 08:16 pm
F_a_s

How come back in my school years in the 40's & 50's there was no issues or problems with abortions and illegitimate pregnancies.

I wounder what really caused the problems we have today.
Could being taught to keep it in your pants and legs crossed till you got married have anything to do with it. You know, family togetherness, moral and spiritual teaching and no government involvement.

Fools_and_sages
Fools_and_sages 10/31/12 - 09:10 pm
Knocked up in the 40s and 50s

Getting knocked up in the 40s and 50s meant girls disappeared from school and went off to visit an aunt for a while where they had their baby and put it up for adoption or left it with their aunt as their "new cousin." Or it meant a back alley abortion that nobody ever talked about and girls were lucky to survive. Or it meant the unexpected arrival of a "change of life sibling." Or it meant a "shotgun" wedding and having a baby 7 months later but, of course, who was really counting? And society looked the other way when these young couples had domestic violence issues because they didn't really love each other and got married and stayed together for 50 years just because a baby was coming. Don't make the past more moral and nostalgic than it was. Just because you weren't aware of things other people you might not have known at all were going through, it doesn't meant these things weren't happening.

TrulyWorried
TrulyWorried 10/31/12 - 10:28 pm
Question

to Fools and Sages - I assume that you were an adult and well informed of what took place in the '40s and '50's???

countyman
20236
countyman 11/01/12 - 01:36 am
This is a rave for Augusta

This is a rave for Augusta continuing to move forward. 60-70 new office jobs(Medac) are coming to West Augusta(Augusta Exchange area), and 210 parking spaces opening at the airport today.

The stats below are for my special friend. 2009 domestic travel economic impact(Millions)
1. Richmond 380.61
2. Muscogee(Columbus) 330.1
3. Bibb(Macon) 254.05
4. Clarke(Athens) 210.25

It's nice to have dorms located in the downtown area, but people don't visit cities for that particular reason. The city with better dining/shopping(the only Apple, Costco, PF Changs, Pandora, Chop House, Sephora, etc locations outside of metro Atlanta), and multiple large events(Masters, Westobou, Arts in the Heart, ESI Ironman, US cycling championships, etc) will attract the higher amount of revenue.

Nobody can't spin Augusta and Columbus being separated by $50 million in terms of spending. The number of nice hotels located in each city tells the story behind the amount of visitors. Savannah is the only competition(not counting Atlanta) in the state when it comes to hotels(we have Doubletree, Sheraton, Marriotts, Hilton Garden Inn, Homewood Suites by Hilton, Jameson Inn, etc). Don't forget the Home2Suites by Hilton is underway, and Holiday Inn Express(downtown)/Residence Inn by Marriott(West Augusta)break ground soon. Then you have the hotels that were hurt by the recession, but may still happen(Four Points by Sheraton & Hyatt Place).

allhans
allhans 11/01/12 - 02:13 am
A woman went to a legitimate

A woman went to a legitimate doctor and had the abortion quietly..it was called "a D and C". It was illegal but available in some quarters and paid for by the woman's insurance. Not many doctors would do the procedure, of course.
I personally helped a young woman fly to NYC to a clinic in 1972. The entire trip and procedure cost the girls parents $750.00...The girl was my niece.

Back alley? Hardly,

allhans
allhans 11/01/12 - 02:16 am
countyman..Is there any thing

countyman..Is there any thing in sight where we can make money rather than spend money. Hotels and restaurants are fine, but what about perhaps some industries that offers good paying jobs with a future.

countyman
20236
countyman 11/01/12 - 02:59 am
Rural Sourcing, ADP, NSA,

Rural Sourcing, ADP, NSA, Starbucks, Rockwood, Cancer Center, Medical Commons, Medac, GGHF site, etc. The Augusta Corporate Park(Starbucks, Georgia Power) and the Augusta Regional Industrial Park($7 million General Perry Smith parkway underway) can support anything with the right leadership. The focus of the CBD/West Augusta should be office, and South Augusta manufacturing, aviation, etc.

You can't expect companies to enter cities who don't improve themselves. The Regency Mall could become a large sports complex, but it can't sit vacant any longer. I give Dr. Azziz credit for the proposed PAC on the GGHF site, because he can't expect to attract the best without one. I'm still waiting on the large park downtown with the bridges, and waterfalls. The extension of the Riverwalk into East Augusta(residential, recreation, beach, etc)

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 11/01/12 - 06:03 am
A couple of years in the

A couple of years in the Senate spent running for President, elected.
Next four years spent campaigning for re-election.

Tell me again what the Emperors qualifications are....

Riverman1
Riverman1 11/01/12 - 06:31 am
Students Downtown

The point about bringing students to live downtown is they work as a catalyst to other things. I thought everyone knew that. It may happen on the GGHOF property.

Riverman1
Riverman1 11/01/12 - 07:10 am
Archie Bunker lived in

Archie Bunker lived in Queens, NY.

But I saw a whole Honey Boo Boo episode Monday. I get what the producer is doing. He is catching the rural south much like a book of black and white photos of small town SC and GA I have on my shelf. In one photo a piece of plywood is thrown down at a get together where people pull their cars up. A guy with sleeves neatly rolled up on his collared shirt, with black hair greased back is dancing with a woman.

In another photo there's something I've seen. Black folks in Denmark, SC sit under a big oak tree playing cards. It's a daily event when the weather is right. Some people don't want the rat race of taxes, insurance, buying the right clothes, cars and rotating tires. The others of us who are running full speed to nowhere need those people to point it out to us now and then. This is Merica and everyone doesn't have to walk in lockstep.

Riverman1
Riverman1 11/01/12 - 07:15 am
Anybody Seen "Down South Dance" on A&E

I caught a show or two of that and it displays the rivalry between a GA dance group and a SC one. It's about girl cloggers. I had never realized how competitive and athletic the whole thing was. The show displays our Southerness a little, but not too much. It doesn't make fun of the girls.

justthefacts
justthefacts 11/01/12 - 07:36 am
A&E??

Obviously, there is no sporting events on during the week now. Hurry Basketball.

LillyfromtheMills
LillyfromtheMills 11/01/12 - 07:38 am
Savannah

Much of downtown is SCAD - forward looking folks there.

JRC2024
JRC2024 11/01/12 - 07:49 am
Ranter 1. I believe Edith and

Ranter 1. I believe Edith and Archie were 700 or so miles up the coast from GA and SC. Give me the south anyday.

Riverman1
Riverman1 11/01/12 - 07:50 am
JTF, the sorry NBA has begun.

JTF, the sorry NBA has begun. I can't get into that until playoff time unless a special player like Jeremy Lin or somebody is playing. College BB is another story. I love it.

seenitB4
seenitB4 11/01/12 - 07:53 am
If I could write captions for the paper..

One pic would have this...

"I gotem & I'm proud of em!"

wow.....bless her heart...:)

seenitB4
seenitB4 11/01/12 - 07:57 am
All in the Family

Gob loves that show....Andy Griffith comes first ...next is Archie & Edith.....who says the south has all the honey boo boos.......didn't CGee tell us he killed hogs-milked cows....gutted deer....etc etc....plowed fields....he ain't no city slicker..:)

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 11/01/12 - 07:57 am
Contentment is a virtue

Countyman posted:

The Regency Mall . . . can't sit vacant any longer.

Yes, it can.

And again:

I'm still waiting on the large park downtown with the bridges, and waterfalls.

Keep waiting.

seenitB4
seenitB4 11/01/12 - 08:00 am
Lilly

I bet Miss Lilly is riding with her spurs on today...hahah

yeehaw.....I see the news says we have a mess in the north with the voting system next week.....I can see portable buses going into neighborhoods.......with voting machines.....gotta get those votes...

seenitB4
seenitB4 11/01/12 - 08:02 am
LLamb

The best post countyman has ever put on here is when he said for some to exit if we couldn't look forward......hahahahh....ooh really....someone who rents in downtown telling owners of years to EXIT.......I laughed a LOT over that...

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 11/01/12 - 08:20 am
Riverwalk

There already is a park downtown on the water side of the levee. We used to take our kids down there for play and picnic. The park does not have bridges or waterfalls, but it's nice enough.

What is Countyman's obsession with bridges and waterfalls in the very flat downtown area? What would the bridges connect? Would they be bridges to nowhere? If the city constructed waterfalls downtown, wouldn't they quickly become urinals for the downtown vagrants?

justthefacts
justthefacts 11/01/12 - 08:24 am
River

I'll be happy when the World Series starts. Something to watch while held captive in these hotel rooms.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 11/01/12 - 08:29 am

There's always next year.

strib1
strib1 11/01/12 - 08:37 am
u say a failed governer ?

u say a failed governer ? what grade do u give bho??? i give him -1. so guess i am a idiot, so be it!!! if we go by record then bho is gone i think!!

Faces of Survival: Breast Cancer Awareness Month series

Breast cancer has touched thousands of families across the Augusta area. In honor of Breast Cancer Awareness Month in October, The Au­gus­ta Chronicle will be featuring ...