Dogs are miracles with paws.
– Susan Kennedy
A tail-wagging good time was had by all Sunday at the annual Pet-A-Fair for the CSRA Humane Society.
And why not? There’s probably no way to look at a companion dog or cat in a Halloween costume and not give in to a smile.
All the critters seemed to be good sports except for Stewart the cat, who was a snarly pirate, which actually helped him take a contest prize.
I took my job as a judge seriously, so when the “Longest Ears” category came up, I jumped to my feet and grabbed a tape measure.
Fellow judge Chuck Williams, of WCHZ-FM, laughed at my sudden participation until I suggested that I would be leaving the more dangerous “Longest Tail” contest measuring to him.
Congratulations to Flower, who won Best in Show.
If you missed it and still want to help, you can send a tax-deductible donation to: CSRA Humane Society,
P.O. Box 14667, Augusta, GA 30919.
SPEAKING OF DOGS: Everett Fernandez shares this. You know you love dogs when:
• You can’t see out the passenger side of the windshield because there are nose-prints all over the inside.
• You refer to yourselves as Mommy and Daddy.
• Your dog sleeps with you.
• You have baby gates permanently installed at strategic places around the house, but no babies.
• You have 32 different names for your dog. Most make no sense, but she understands.
• You like people who like your dog. You despise people who don’t.
• You carry dog biscuits in your purse or pocket at all times.
• You talk about your dog the way other people talk about their kid.
• You sign and send birthday/anniversary/Christmas cards from your dog.
• You put an extra blanket on the bed so your dog can be comfortable.
• Poop has become a source of conversation for you and your significant other.
• You open your purse, and that big bunch of baggies you use for pickups pops out.
• You don’t think it’s the least bit strange to stand in the backyard yelling, “Snoopy, pee!” over and over again, while Snoopy tends to play and forget why she’s out there. (What your neighbors think of your behavior is yet another story.)
TODAY’S JOKE: After the church service, a little boy told the pastor, “When I grow up, I’m going to give you some money.”
“Thank you,” the pastor replied, “but why?”
“Well,” the boy said, “my daddy says you’re one of the poorest preachers we’ve ever had.”