Rants & Raves

Comments from readers:

HOW MANY OF you are going to the inauguration of President Obama in January? Let’s think positive, Democrats. Get out and vote. Don’t be persuaded by these debates. The voting is what counts. The debates can be misleading by the Republicans.

THE GREEK FESTIVAL was wonderful. My grandmother cooked like that. The people are wonderful and food was great.

BIG RAVE TO THE person from Midland Valley Recreation Association Field who turned in my Visa debit card to the concession stand. Thank you so very much. You are a blessing.

IN THE PAST two years we have accumulated national debt at a rate more than 27 times as fast as during the rest of our entire nation’s history. Metaphorically speaking, if you are driving in the right lane doing 65 mph and a car rockets past you in the left lane, 27 times faster, it would be doing 7,555 mph!

DEFINITION OF chutzpah: Rich Joe Biden talking during the debates about the middle class, as if rich Joe Biden really cared about the middle class.

CHARTER SCHOOLS will supposedly give parents choice out of a failing school. We know mathematically and fiscally 100 percent of the students can’t transfer out. If 20 percent can, what happens to the other 80 percent left behind? Funding for this school will be even less because of the charter school’s drain on the budget. And people don’t understand the opposition?

TO THE RANTER about reducing the speed limit on Lewiston Road: I’d rather have a light at Lewiston and William Few before someone dies.

A RANT FOR THE Department of Transportation. There needs to be a yield sign at the end of the ramp leaving Wheeler Road going toward Wrightsboro Road before somebody gets killed.

A RAVE FOR THOSE who spay or neuter their pets, keep them tagged, collared and microchipped so that should they wander from home the owners can be found.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 10/24/12 - 07:13 pm
"CHARTER SCHOOLS

will supposedly give parents choice out of a failing school."

There just maybe some parents that want to get the best education possible for their children instead of being uneducated in a failing school. Does that make sense?

"what happens to the other 80 percent left behind?

Unless the parents of those 80 percent don't start supporting the failing school, start insuring that the teachers are teaching quality education, start spending a little time with your children at home to provide the education that the teachers are not required to teach and get away from the idea that a school is a Day Care Center, than you will reap the results of a failing school.

"And people don’t understand the opposition?"

Wrong, there is no opposition to understand!

Riverman1
Riverman1 10/24/12 - 07:41 pm
Azziz Bending?

Azziz was on Fattz and Cher this morning on 96.3 KISS FM. He said the power to alter the name in certain ways was still there. Huh??? Is he bending?

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 10/24/12 - 09:24 pm
If I Was

Azziz, I would be bending too. I think he may be seeing the light.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 10/24/12 - 09:28 pm
IN THE PAST

If King SMNCICBHO gets re-elected, that rocket will be able to reach the moon in 1 1/2 days.

shrimp for breakfast
shrimp for breakfast 10/24/12 - 10:45 pm
The neuter rave

I'm totally with you on this subject.
If you have a pet (that you don't use for breeding) and you don't spay or neuter them then you are contributing to fact that all of our animal shelters are constantly full. It is totally unacceptable not to have your pets fixed.
My dog also has a micro chip. I hope he never needs it but it makes me feel better that it's there.

shrimp for breakfast
shrimp for breakfast 10/24/12 - 10:46 pm
OK folks

I'll see ya'll in the mornin'.

rebellious
20780
rebellious 10/24/12 - 11:27 pm
OK

Rant #1 - Scott Peebles will probably be there again as he is for sure a Democrat now!

Rant #3 - Honesty is as scarce as common sense today. But hats off to an honest person!

Rant #4 - Nice Metaphor. I am afraid it zoomed past the intended audience

Rant #5 - I looked up the definition of Chutzpah because I had an image of "Courageous" in my mind. I was wrong and you absolutely chose the correct word. Definition of CHUTZPAH : supreme self-confidence : nerve, gall

Rant #6 - I really need to study or be schooled on this issue on the ballot. Charter Schools is not the same as Vouchers, as this rant seems to be about. And some say the reason to vote against the ballot item is because it will take local control to the state level for charters locally. The Austin Rhodes has some guy on saying it won't. Confusinf issue for me. Someone fill me with knowledge on the issue.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 10/24/12 - 11:30 pm
Grooo-ah

GRU@Augusta is not an acceptable compromise.

The name "regents" is hideous and offensive to good taste and sensibility of persons who disdain vanity and narcissism. We must band together.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 10/24/12 - 11:36 pm
Charters for Rebellious

Reb: Charter schools are about alternatives. Charter schools (contrary to what Regina Buccafusco says) are public schools. They propose a charter, negotiate with the local school board and get approved to operate under a different set of rules than the zoned public schools. When the local school board rejects the charter school request, the petitioners would like a higher authority to review their request to see if they could establish a charter school not under the authority of the local school board.

It's about choice, it's about parental involvement, it's about thinking outside the box.

Vote Yess!

readnow
readnow 10/25/12 - 04:26 am
stop lights

Those of you who need more red lights and slower speeds, try to drive through Fort gordon one day. There is a stop sign every 15 feet and the speed limits vary from 20mph to 6.5mph . I guess the folks out there have nothing better to do than to just put up stop signs and lower speed limits.

JggrNAUT
JggrNAUT 10/25/12 - 04:41 am
Cobalt George

What does SMNCICBHO stand for?

wayne2410
wayne2410 10/25/12 - 05:29 am
Debates can be misleading by

Debates can be misleading by Republicans? I don't know dude, both men were able to say whatever they wanted to during the three debates so I'm not sure where you are coming from with that. Maybe it is less of a matter of you being mislead as it is a matter of you either being unable or unwilling to understand. Or you just may be misleading your own self.

Riverman1
Riverman1 10/25/12 - 05:54 am
My Take on Charter Schools

I've read the pros and cons, so let's use an example locally. The Richmond County School System is one of the worst around. The majority of the students' scores are abysmal. Something else has to be tried. If a group tried to start a charter school, the BOE would turn them down. So then the group can appeal to the state and override the local BOE.

Apparently, the new legislation will make it easier to circumvent the local BOE, although, it can currently be done. The public school proponents point that out often.

So IF a certain school system is substandard, it appears even the anti-charter folks feel the current legislation to allow establishment of charter schools with support of BOE's or in opposition to local BOE's is a good thing. Why not make it even easier? Currently, no one in Richmond County, with its substandard schools, has attempted it, so that leads me to believe it's not as easy as they make out. Vote YES. Make it even easier.

Retired Army
Retired Army 10/25/12 - 06:18 am
When one sees right wing

When one sees right wing posters encouraging voters to cede power from local government to a central authority doesn't it just scream the world has gone mad?

I mean what possibly could the motive be here in Democratic/majority black Richmond county for folks to promote the loss of power to our locally elected representatives?

You wouldn't think that these bastions of self determination would like to pull an end run around the folks for whom the majority voted would you?

Naw! Couldn't be. There's not a hypocrite in the bunch. Not just one that is.

Vote no(as I already have)and instead concentrate on fixing our problems right here. You don't like the school board members and the policies they bring that this community has elected? Fine! Recruit and elect better ones instead of running off to Atlanta because you can't get your way here.

shrimp for breakfast
shrimp for breakfast 10/25/12 - 06:50 am
JGGRNAUT

I've been meaning to ask him the same thing but I think I have all but the first three letters. (although I might be wrong.)
Commander In Chief Barak Hussien Obama. Or it coul be Crook In Charge Barak Hussein Obama.

Let us know CG!

Riverman1
Riverman1 10/25/12 - 06:55 am
Charter Schools in Richmond County

Maybe y'all are right and Richmond County doesn't need Charter schools. More alternative schools would probably work better.

rebellious
20780
rebellious 10/25/12 - 07:10 am
OK, Correct me here LL, River

So the current vote is for allowing a group desiring the establishment of a charter school, yet denied by the local BOE, to petition to the State Legislature for an overruling of the local BOE, right?

On it;s face, I agree with Retired Army in terms of local control over State control. We all know how the State game is played. Our local legislative delegation puts out the bill and everyone else goes along with it out of respect for local legislators. To me, this means that if a majority of 10 elected BOE members reject a petition, we would turn that over to a legislative delegation of 4 Democrats and 1 Republican to determine the outcome. So that would be Rep Quincy Murphy, Rep Wayne Howard, and Rep Barbara Sims, Rep Gloria Frazier, Rep Earnest Smith, I think. I don't know if I like that switcheroo.

And are charter schools funded from the same pot of money currently used to run the schools we have? If so, then the argument I have heard, , that we would be turning over control of local taxes to State entity, rings true. This runs contrary to the guest on Austin Rhodes show statements.

Still undecided, so once again, hoping the commenters are more versed on this issue and can enlighten me further.

Tullie
Tullie 10/25/12 - 07:19 am
Charter Schools

"what happens to the other 80 percent left behind?"

Same thing that is happening to them now. What do you think is going to happen to them?

There is not going to be a mass evacuation of students leaving the schools. I will be willing to bet not much is going to change if this goes through.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 10/25/12 - 07:42 am
Good Morning America ****Day 12****

jggrNAUT - sfb

I said over 3 years ago I would never say his name, so I gave him a name.

Socialist
Muslim
Narcissist
Commander In Chief
Barack Hussein Obama.

shrimp for breakfast
shrimp for breakfast 10/25/12 - 07:48 am
CG

I was right about the CICBHO.
But I do prefer Cook In Charge.

shrimp for breakfast
shrimp for breakfast 10/25/12 - 07:50 am
OK Seenit

Is your bus late AGAIN?!
You need to get the flock off the bus so they can fly South!

Riverman1
Riverman1 10/25/12 - 07:51 am
Rebel, as anti-charter folks

Rebel, as anti-charter folks will tell you now, there is ALREADY a mechanism to circumvent local BOE's and have the state approve a charter school. They say that's good enough. But my point is that mechanism must not work too well or there would certainly be one or two in Richmond County by now. Anything that makes the process easier is how I'm looking at it.

About funding, can a charter school educate a pupil better with the same cost per student? But here's another point, charter schools can build alliances with private businesses and individuals in the area to help with the school. It's possible they can end up with more money than that allocated by government.

shrimp for breakfast
shrimp for breakfast 10/25/12 - 07:56 am
You Know

I never seem to pay attention to the thumbs up or down much less use the function. I guess I should start. It's kind of like voting. I shouldn't be able to talk about someone else's post unless I've voted on it.
hehe I know my humor is lame this morning. Sometimes I just wake up dumber than other mornings.It also has to do with my caffiene level.
Speaking of caffiene I need another mugful as we speak.

Riverman1
Riverman1 10/25/12 - 07:58 am
Another way to look at it.

Another way to look at it. Richmond County has very poor results although a tiny number of students do very well in the magnet schools. Why not create a charter school, have parents furnish their transportation as happens now with Davidson, help out in classes, build alliances with businesses in the city and so on?

Why hasn't another magnet or charter school been initiated by the Richmond Cty BOE? Let's make this vote a question of whether a charter school should be established in Richmond County? Other counties can make it an issue, too, if their schools are subpar.

shrimp for breakfast
shrimp for breakfast 10/25/12 - 07:58 am
Hey River

I'm going to Charleston this weekend. Want me to bring you back some shrimp from Shem Creek?

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 10/25/12 - 08:02 am
Demogoguery

Ranter #6 said:

If 20 percent [transfer out to charter schools — LL], what happens to the other 80 percent left behind? Funding for this school will be even less because of the charter school’s drain on the budget.

The opponents of charter schools always talk about the money that leaves the zoned schools for the charter schools, but they never consider the rest of the story. Yes, the money leaves the zoned schools, but the students leaves the zoned schools, too! In ranter #6's example, yes the zoned schools have 20% less tax money, but they have 20% fewer students to educate. It all balances out.

You have heard Charles Nagle and Regina Buccafusco say what the real issue is — power and control. The local school system does not want to lose students because then they can't control those students. They can no longer indoctrinate them to become faithful servants of the federal, state, and local governments.

Riverman1
Riverman1 10/25/12 - 08:05 am
"We know mathematically and

"We know mathematically and fiscally 100 percent of the students can’t transfer out."

I bet a public school educator wrote that. Heh.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 10/25/12 - 08:06 am
sfb

Yes, we all have been eating his disease infected food for almost 4 years. 4 more years of consuming his slope will make America a "Land Of The Living Dead"

Riverman1
Riverman1 10/25/12 - 09:34 am
Shrimp, that would be great.

Shrimp, that would be great. Shem Creek has been one of my stomping grounds for decades. Topping it off literally with a drive home over the bridge is a great way to end an evening there. I know the Trawler closed years ago, but it was my favorite. It hasn't reopened, has it?

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 10/25/12 - 08:09 am
Richmond

RM, the Richmond County BOE has approved a couple of charter schools. However, it was a sham. They are called "converted" charter schools because they took failing zoned schools and gave them a charter (fig leaf) to get around the penalties from the No Child Left Behind law for schools persistently not making Adequate Yearly Progress.

Usually, when we talk about charter schools, we are talking about a group of parents drawing up a charter to create a public charter school to offer like-minded parents to try something different for their children instead of sending them to a failing zoned school. Where Nagle and Buccafusco fudged the facts is where they said that the proposed constitutional amendment gives total control of the state-chartered schools to a state board of seven trustees. That's not the whole story. Yes, that board of seven trustees will review the charter requests and either approve or deny them; but after approval, it will be up to the board of directors of the new charter school to run the school and attempt to live up to the charter.

Charter schools will have closer, smaller local control than the massive zoned school system does.

Vogtle workers see both reactor projects

Some veterans of the nuclear industry were at the site south of Augusta to see the complex network of rebar and concrete rising out of the ground in the 1970s and ’80s. Now, they are back.