Rants & Raves

IF THE CITY NEEDS to raise money, send some cops to any elementary school car pick-up line. Toddlers and babies on laps, children not in cars seats or even seat belts, and too many people in a vehicle. Of course, this is probably all the teacher’s fault and we will be held responsible and asked to give a weekly test to someone about car safety. Never mind.

ANOTHER RANT for Mi Rancho’s downtown and outdoor karaoke. It is fun when you are there, but living within two blocks of there and having to close your windows in the evening just to listen to TV should not happen. Continue enjoying, but just turn it down so the rest of the downtown area can appreciate other things.

IT IS A FACT that the majority of the Founding Fathers of this country were ministers or farmers. What a shame that Sylvia Cooper and Gwen Young think that a farmer is no longer worthy to represent the citizens of this country because he is not a slick talker! Maybe they should take a long look at where the No. 1 Big Talker has gotten us in the last four years.

SINCE MODERN politicians always set things up to give them more power over citizens, the odds are no matter how we vote on the charter school amendment, we’ll still end up losing. Confu­sion is always the first method of politicians. Maybe, just as an experiment and since we already know how they’ve killed our public schools, we should vote against the amendment just to see how they’ll twist up that result.

A RANTER ERRS in saying morning show hosts “disrespect the president just because he is black.” Sadly, with such marvelous black people who would make a good president, e.g., Alan Keyes, Mia Love or Allen West, Obama ended up stalling getting another black into the White House for decades to come. Obama has hurt the very group he claims to support.

I HAVE KNOWN Lucien Williams for many years and I would highly recommend him for the Rich­mond County Board of Education District 1 opening. His solid background in the financial area would make him well suited to tackle the money issues. Overall, he would add a new perspective on the many issues confronting the board.

Comments (71)

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 10/23/12 - 09:26 pm

IF THE CITY NEEDS

Why does it always have to do with money. Wouldn't saving possible lives be more reason for surveillance?

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 10/23/12 - 09:30 pm

ANOTHER RANT

Seems like you have a problem. Either learn to like karaoke or move.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 10/23/12 - 09:33 pm

IT IS A FACT

Yes, that the majority of the Founding Fathers of this country were ministers or farmers and they weren't crooks an liars. True Americans.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 10/23/12 - 09:38 pm

IGNIFICANT, BUT

“former Austrian paratrooper.” That's probably what he was before he became the record breaking, highest Shy Jumper that broke the Sound barrier in his free fall.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 10/23/12 - 09:40 pm

SINCE MODERN

IMO, I don't think the charter schools will kill your public schools if all involved in the public school system was doing their job.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 10/23/12 - 09:42 pm

A RANTER ERRS

A pretty good Common Sense Rant.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 10/23/12 - 09:44 pm

A RANTER ERRS

I do not know Lucien Williams, So No Comment.

Fools_and_sages
Fools_and_sages 10/23/12 - 10:40 pm

Founding Fathers as ministers and farmers?

If you mean the 55 men who attended the Constitutional Convention, only Abraham Baldwin of Georgia was an ordained minister. Twelve delegates owned plantations or large farms and two were small farmers. 14 out of 55 does not equate to "most" or even "many" who were farmers. it's about 25%. One out of 55, certainly does not mean many were ministers.

If you are referring to the big names, meaning Thomas Jefferson, George Washington, John Adams, James Madison, and Benjamin Franklin, then that is another matter entirely. Thomas Jefferson was a plantation owner, but his primary profession was law and he served as a minister (meaning diplomat) for the US in France, though he was not a member of the clergy and was even accused of atheism. George Washington was a plantation owner but his primary profession was a surveyor, then soldier, then president. Washington also was not a member of the clergy. John Adams was a lawyer who owned a farm as his country home and he served as a minister (meaning diplomat) for the US abroad, though he was not a member of the clergy. Benjamin Franklin was many things, ranging from inventor to publisher to author to a diplomat. However, he rarely even went to church and was not a member of the clergy nor was he a farmer. The only Founding Father who was primarily a farmer was James Madison, who owned and actually ran his plantation. He went to college to become a minister but came out of college making statements such as ""Religious bondage shackles and debilitates the mind and unfits it for every noble enterprise, every expanded project." Then he fought for freedom of religion in the Constitution. However, Madison was not a member of the clergy.

So, I guess MOST of the Founding Fathers were neither farmers nor ministers. Most may have owned a farm or a plantation, but many of them did not actually run the farms or plantations and many had other official professions. Some had "hobby farms" and many had managers running their plantations, which does not make them a farmer in the same sense that Lee Anderson is a farmer.

Jake
Jake 10/23/12 - 11:19 pm

Rave for the Augusta Chronicle

A few weeks ago I asked Sean Moores to put me in touch with Don Rhodes (Entertainment Writer) so I could try and and arrange a meeting with some local soul music people when I came to town. Don was very gracious in arranging a luncheon with Mickey Murray (Shout Bamalama), Flash Gordon (DJ from WAUG), and Allyn Lee (Promoter of 60's soul shows). We had lunch at the Ramada Inn on Oct 4th and it was so wonderful to hear the stories and recollections of these marvelous people who had a lot to do with the soul scene, not only in Augusta, but throughout the southeast and beyond.
Thank you Augusta Chronicle for helping to make this happen and especially thank you Don Rhodes for your help and insight in making that day very special for me and my friend.

rebellious
rebellious 10/23/12 - 11:30 pm

Indeed

Rant #2 - You knew it was the city when you bought the home/apartment. This is indemic where those who buy in the country desire the amenities of the city (and I count myself in that number) and those who live in the city long for the solitude of the country. Grin and bear it or sell and move. How long has Mi Rancho been there?

Rant #3 I also have been disappointed in both Sylvia Cooper and Gwen Young's support of a yellow dog democrat who is obviously making a mad dash to the center and away from Obama. If re-elected, look for him to dart right back to the left and with a vengeance for 3 years riding the radical coattails of a lameduck extremist President. Bob Young must be shaking his head and talking to himself constantly.

Rant #6 Respect must be earned. And their is a difference between respect for the office and respect for the office holder. Just because you sit in a garage doesn't mean you are a car.

wayne2410
wayne2410 10/24/12 - 05:57 am

I'm sure most here know this

I'm sure most here know this but Gwen Young's support of Barrow has nothing to do with concern for the citizens well being, it is all about aligning herself with who she believes is going to win and benefitting from whatever perks doing so will afford her. If she thought Anderson was going to win she would be gushing about how farmers were such "beautiful" people. Democrats are such elitists, it is downright sickening to look at them.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 10/24/12 - 06:14 am

Good Morning America ****Day 13 ****

You, your off springs and Grands are now living in a period of time that will go down in history as the most corrupt presidential election ever experienced.
The NEWS media have open the flood gates using every known English word, formatting them in every way to promote/demote, provide Truths/Lies and debated every Good or every Bad aspects of the candidates running for the most honorable job in our country.

Will the end results give us a FREE AMERICA or 3rd World Socilist County. All of us living today will decide the verdict and reap the outcome.!

shrimp for breakfast
shrimp for breakfast 10/24/12 - 07:54 am

Karaoke rant

I remember when I was in a rock band in college and we used to play this club by the university about 1 weekend a month.
We were pretty loud and this well known local artist used to complain constantly. He was the only resident who ever complained so the cops told him to either get some earplugs or move. I don't know what he did but he finally stopped complaining.

seenitB4
seenitB4 10/24/12 - 07:55 am

The rant said...

Well now....I guess folks won't be flocking downtown after all....

shrimp for breakfast
shrimp for breakfast 10/24/12 - 07:56 am

Seenit's bus must be late again

MARTA needs to tighten up.

seenitB4
seenitB4 10/24/12 - 07:56 am

Complain stops

Maybe he died shrimp....

shrimp for breakfast
shrimp for breakfast 10/24/12 - 07:56 am
seenitB4
seenitB4 10/24/12 - 07:57 am

Blinders on again shrimp...:)

I see you---can you see me.....hahahh

shrimp for breakfast
shrimp for breakfast 10/24/12 - 07:58 am

No he didn't die

He's still selling art. He's become quite well known. I guess he got the last laugh.

shrimp for breakfast
shrimp for breakfast 10/24/12 - 08:00 am

My timing's a bit off

Actually everything about me today is a bit "off".

seenitB4
seenitB4 10/24/12 - 08:00 am

I'm sad today

Dr Curly Watson has died......the best DR Augusta has ever had imo.....if anyone ever deserved a street named after him...this man does.....
He never wanted the limelight.....he was just kind & humble in every way.....rest in peace Dr Watson.....

shrimp for breakfast
shrimp for breakfast 10/24/12 - 08:01 am

I wonder how long it will be...

Before someone Rants again about us using the RandR's as a chat room.

seenitB4
seenitB4 10/24/12 - 08:05 am

It is....

It is both....a chat place----get together & to hash out world events....we are able to do it all......we can chew gum & walk at the same time....anyway if Sean didn't want it he would've stop this years ago....he doesn't have a problem of knocking the wind out of us when he wants to,......hahah...& I still like him....:)

shrimp for breakfast
shrimp for breakfast 10/24/12 - 08:06 am

Sorry Seenit

I remember when my Dr. In Charleston died. I saw him from the time I was 20 until I was 48 when he passed. I still miss him. He had the best bedside manner. I like a Doctor with a sense of humor and I can't seem to find one here in Augusta. If anyone knows of one I'd love to hear who. The Doc I have now is more of a robot than anything else.

seenitB4
seenitB4 10/24/12 - 08:08 am

Sense of humor..heh

Yes sir Dr Watson had that....I could say something but it would be hard for me live down...hahaha...but Dr Watson was right on the money in his wise ways of life...:)

shrimp for breakfast
shrimp for breakfast 10/24/12 - 08:10 am

Yea ole Sean is alright

I've gotten my share of abuse warnings but I understood where he was coming from every time and I made a point to apologize. I was told to tone down my rhetoric which I have when I'm passionate about something in the paper.
Thanks for being fair Sean.

seenitB4
seenitB4 10/24/12 - 08:13 am

Dr Burgamy had a sense of humor too..

When i was in the hospital giving birth to my last daughter it just so happened a friend of mine was too...same doctors so we ended up in the same room....we had babies the same night....the next day Dr Burgamy came in to check us...I had my panties on (as most southern ladies would) ...he said...Would all the ladies in the room please take their panties off....his nurse blushed hahah....& he laughed..

shrimp for breakfast
shrimp for breakfast 10/24/12 - 08:13 am

Space Jumper

"INSIGNIFICANT, BUT wondering: the brave space jumper is identified as a “former Austrian paratrooper.” Does that mean he is a former Austrian, a former paratrooper or both?"

He's lucky he not just plain "former"

shrimp for breakfast