Rants & Raves

Comments from readers:

RANT TO THE DRIVER who ran out of gas in the westbound lane of Bobby Jones near mile marker 12 and did not pull off the road, but merely turned on the flashers in the passing lane during rush-hour traffic between 5 and 6 on Wednesday. You didn’t think to pull off the road while you were still coasting, did you?

RANT AGAINST THE whole Augusta area. Gregg Allman played here, and I doubt there were 2,000 people there. They should quit jumping on the people who run the coliseum and blame the people of Augusta. I was embarrassed for Gregg Allman. If you want good acts in town, you have to support them.

A RAVE FOR ALL THE physicians who generously donate their time and services to Project Access.

I CANNOT BELIEVE THAT in south Augusta the U.S. Postal Service cannot deliver the mail around the same time.

I HAD THE MISFORTUNE of being put in the Richmond County jail at 401 Walton Way. The dog pound is cleaner than the jail’s holding cells. Richmond County should be completely ashamed for putting people in filthy situations like this. The people in the jail are real nice and try to get you out of there as quickly as possible, but the place is filthy.

WATCH THE MONEY in the coming years: $50 million in construction was approved for Athens’ medical school, while only $20 million was approved for Augusta’s. The Board of Regents will give the majority of the money to Athens for about 10 years and then announce the medical college is moving. Be forewarned. We don’t want to get stuck with only the smaller schools. We have no political clout in Atlanta. Pay attention.

A RANTER SAID only those paying taxes should be able to vote; all others are parasites. What taxes would qualify? Property? Income? Sales? Gasoline? Poll?

PLEASE BRING BACK Cul de Sac to the comics page. Stone Soup is stupid. So is Lio.

KSL 10/19/12 - 05:28 pm
Happy, the students can try

Happy, the students can try to pull off residences in 2 states by keeping their home state address and by registering in their college town, especially if they don't have a dorm address.

I don't remember the particulars, but my mother told me an instance of Dartmouth College guys doing just that. Dartmouth is in a small New Hampshire town. They registered to vote and totally took over a local election.

KSL 10/19/12 - 05:33 pm
No more problem with them

No more problem with them voting Democrat, especially for one in particular, than anyone else, but it doesn't involve suppressing the right to vote who is legally entitled to vote.

happychimer
happychimer 10/19/12 - 05:36 pm
I am sure laws are in place

I am sure laws are in place to prevent that kind of fraud now.

KSL 10/19/12 - 05:42 pm
I don't think so. But there

I don't think so. But there would be fewer chances if we had better voter ID laws. You should have to prove you have permanent residence where you intend to cast your one ballot.

happychimer
happychimer 10/19/12 - 05:49 pm
In GA the address on the

In GA the address on the registration has to match the address on the picture ID.They also compare signatures.

KSL 10/19/12 - 05:53 pm
In SC, you used to have to

In SC, you used to have to go in to the voter registration office in order to register. Out of curiosity, I picked up a registration form in the post office earlier this year. I was appalled at the lack of information you had to provide. Basically, all you haveto do is sign a "sworn" statement that the information you had provided about your residency and your citizenhip was true.

KSL 10/19/12 - 06:18 pm
SC was trying to get a law

SC was trying to get a law similar to that. But GA acted quicker than SC and got their law through. Your beloved pres's JOD is suing SC over their picture ID law.

When I vote I usually just provide my driver's license. This last time I used my voter registration card, typed paper card, no picture. My eyes are still the same color, as is my hair, thanks to an excellent hair colorist. My height is still the same, 5'5 thankfully, but my weight has gone from 110 to 130. There is no way in heck a poll worker could identify me from that card, issued in 1974.

To the poll worker's credit, a very nice black lady who has worked our poll for years, I detected that she preferred that I had handed her my driver's license. It was an interesting experiment.

happychimer
happychimer 10/19/12 - 06:12 pm
It is very easy to register

It is very easy to register to vote in GA. you can print out a postage paid application and mail it in along with a copy of drivers license or state issued picture ID, and a copy of a bank statement, power bill or other statement showing your address. Also social security number. Mail it and wait for approval.

happychimer
happychimer 10/19/12 - 06:20 pm
I don't know exactly how

I don't know exactly how Georgia's ID law is worded, but if SC worded it the exact same words, it would pass.

KSL 10/19/12 - 06:24 pm
My point for you, Happy, is

My point for you, Happy, is that I could have passed away and my husband could have found someone with blue eyes and brown hair 5'5 to impersonate me and vote. And doesn't a person's handwriting change somewhat is almost 40 years?

KSL 10/19/12 - 06:41 pm
I don't know what the problem

I don't know what the problem is that Obama's justice department has with SC 's new law. It's just modeled after other states'. All I can figure is that other states got their laws passed before Obama has failed so miserably. They felt they had to do everything in their power to maximize their vote to hold off SC's ability to prevent fraud.

KSL 10/19/12 - 06:39 pm
Happy

I have been told it was a matter of timing. There is another state being sued, as well.

happychimer
happychimer 10/19/12 - 07:07 pm
When I voted. I filled out a

When I voted. I filled out a paper with my name and address, and I signed it. the woman looked at my drivers license and then she gave the paper to a woman sitting at a computer.About 2 or 3 minutes later, I was given a paper and told to follow the signs to the room where I voted. Another person looked at the paper and gave me the card to put in the touch screen machine to vote.

happychimer
happychimer 10/19/12 - 07:09 pm
and the President does not

and the President does not order the court how to rule on cases.

readnow
readnow 10/19/12 - 07:11 pm
jail conditions

Sorry our jail wasnt nice and clean, like Im sure your home is, but one way to avoid this condition is....oh I dont know....how about dont break the law

KSL 10/19/12 - 07:44 pm
In SC, all you have to do is

In SC, all you have to do is present you card or driver's license. They look at the address and name. What they compare it to on their list doesn't even have a signature to compare it to. Just an address. Ripe for fraud. Could that be why the current incumbent is suing states that want to tighten up the sloppy ability to register and vote. I would be happy to have Georgia's requirements.
My point to you, Happy, is that you nor I have knowledge of how easy it is to vote fraudulently in other states. Right now it is right easy to do so and the Obama administration has been fighting SC and it's attempt to correct it.

KSL 10/19/12 - 07:35 pm
Happy

Again, I need to correct you.

I never implied that Obama "ordered the Court " to make a decision. I am not certain a decision has been made.

What I said is that is DOJ department has brought a suit against a state. I will remind you that Holder and the justice departmant are part of the executive branch of the government. They report to and take direction from the executive branch of the Federal government, our illustrious and ever so brilliant narcy president, who has so very Peter Principled his way to the top.

dwb619
dwb619 10/19/12 - 07:40 pm
Voter ID

I believe the courts have upheld South Carolina's new picture ID requirement. However, the law will not take effect until January.

KSL 10/19/12 - 07:51 pm
Good to know

Thank you, but it is interesting to know it doesn't take place until January. Kind of like the taxes, even on the middle class, don't kick in on purpose until after the election.

KSL 10/19/12 - 08:00 pm
Point remains, the Justice

Point remains, the Justice department wrongfully sued SC.

Can someone who knows more about it explain to me while Obama's justice department was suing the state of SC for what Homeland Security was requiring the state of Tenn to do, as an experiment?

KSL 10/19/12 - 08:08 pm
In closing, I hope. Where

In closing, I hope. Where did I say the president ordered the decision? As for that matter, where did I say a decision had been made, Happy?

happychimer
happychimer 10/19/12 - 09:02 pm
All the negative remarks

All the negative remarks about President Obama are uncalled for. It gets old after awhile. Have a good evening.

KSL 10/20/12 - 12:21 am
It is Obama's Justice

It is Obama's Justice Department. If he is going to take credit for hunting down and taking out Osama (intelligence amd military), then he has to man up to the responsibility of what his Justice Department is doing. He CAN NOT have it both ways.

KSL 10/20/12 - 12:41 am
Oh, my comments are indeed

Oh, my comments are indeed called for.

happychimer
happychimer 10/20/12 - 03:00 pm
KSL not only yours but all

KSL not only yours but all the negative comments by others also. It gets old after awhile.

allhans
allhans 10/20/12 - 05:11 pm
Florida has a problem because

Florida has a problem because so many seniors are registered in two states. Their permanent residence is NY and they are registered as such, they also have a summer home in Fl and they can if they wish, register there. There is no national registry to check this..it's not so hard.
A friend of mine just moved from across the river, she still has her voting card from SC and had no problem registering in GA.
What is to stop her from using both other than being of good character and with no desire to cheat.

Veggie market helps Harrisburg eat healthy

The G.R.O.W. Harrisburg Fruit and Vegetable Prescription Program, funded with a $20,000 grant from Wholesome Wave Georgia from June through October, is the first of its kind in Georgia.