Rants & Raves

Comments from readers:

WHAT KIND OF SHERIFF will Roundtree be? Peacemaker or appease-maker, as many of his constituents want? Maybe. Fair and unbiased law enforcement would be just fine.

I THINK IT IS GREAT so many people have come together for the “Save the A” cause, but wouldn’t it be even greater if that many Augustans would unite and actively work to clean up and revitalize Augusta and get rid of the crime so people are not afraid to walk Broad Street and riverwalk at night?

RANT AGAINST the very tired, rude lady in Food Lion who saw me still putting my groceries onto the belt and began to throw (I mean throw) hers on it, too, getting mixed up with mine. I had to stop, separate mine from hers and still empty my cart. As I walked off, I heard her complain about my being too slow, because she had worked all day and was tired and wanted to get home. Heads up, cashiers. I will go even slower to make sure I pay only for my products.

PRESIDENT HARRIS Pastides of the Univer­sity of South Carolina gets a pay raise to $724,000 a year. There’s no way that job requires such exorbitant pay. Just more political nonsense.

WHY ON EARTH DID Diane Sawyer not ask President Obama any questions about the Libyan Embassy debacle? The hearings were going on the same day and she still didn’t ask him about it. Surely that is important to the electorate.

REPUBLICANS NEED to vote against Nathan Deal for governor in the next election. He is responsible for the Board of Regents, and he is the driving force to move the medical college to Athens. A Democrat might commit to saving the A and keeping the medical college in Augusta. It will be worth it to have a Democrat governor if we can get those things accomplished.

IT SEEMS TO ME liberal millionaires and billionaires should stop saying they would gladly give more in taxes. Nobody is stopping them.

BIG BIRD GETS my vote as a write-in candidate for president.

Comments (47)

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 10/17/12 - 08:42 pm

Ranter # 2 wishes

. . . that many Augustans would unite and actively work to . . . get rid of the crime. . . .

That's called vigilantism, and it can be a crime.

Jake
Jake 10/17/12 - 09:49 pm

#4, Rudeness

Rudeness seems to be a lot more common now. I still think in terms of being polite and cordial because that was the way I was raised. You know, holding the door open for the next person, saying "Yes, ma'am or Yes, sir". It does not hurt to smile and it does not hurt to be respectful of the other person.
I also have been guilty of being impatient when behind an elderly driver and then wonder when I will be that elderly driver. It will probably come sooner than I think.
Life is so very short, at least for those of us that are approaching our later years, so try and be as kind as you can to those around you. One day, if you live long enough, you will be slower and not totally aware as you are now.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 10/17/12 - 10:07 pm

Jake

Very well spoken. The trouble I have, is the older I get, the less respect I see. I have lived with respect and I hope I die with respect.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 10/17/12 - 10:12 pm

@2

"wouldn’t it be even greater if that many Augustans would unite and actively work to clean up and revitalize Augusta"

Before that happened, they would have to start with their front yard....

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 10/17/12 - 10:14 pm

@2

"get rid of the crime"

That would also have to start within their four walls......

Jake
Jake 10/17/12 - 11:09 pm

CG

You are indeed a very respectful person and one that would go the "extra mile" for his fellow man. Times are changing but the respect and thoughtfulness we show to others should be a standard that others should follow. Your love and support for Sarge is very commendable and something that not only inspires me but also challenges me to be more like you in that regard.

Augusta resident
Augusta resident 10/18/12 - 04:18 am

Did the locals stop running

Did the locals stop running for office? I've gotten a couple things in the mail and see some yard signs, but besides that I really don't see any campaigning. Barrow is doing some mud slinging. Donny Smith has some over sized signs that create blind spots at intersections and I hear weird confusing commercials, but that's all I've seen. Is anyone running for Mayor? Are we voting for any new laws?

wayne2410
wayne2410 10/18/12 - 05:59 am

#3, you need to keep in mind

#3, you need to keep in mind my voting preferences are not subject to your approval. Obviously written by a liberal, if they had their way we would eliminate elections and declare Obama emperor for life.

seenitB4
seenitB4 10/18/12 - 06:16 am

The rant says

Gosh-darn tooting ya right.......would just take a few good men....BUT THE PC POLICE would show up & we would have to kick their behinds too.....but it can & should be done.....yeh baby.

Retired Army
Retired Army 10/18/12 - 06:20 am

Augusta resident10/18/12 - 04:18 am

Augusta resident writes: "Barrow is doing some mud slinging."

Spoken like a man who watches absolutley no media whatsoever. Had he said Anderson and Barrow are burying us in mud I would not have any comment.

By the by. Why DID that pesky "Liberul" John Barrow get the NRA's endorsement over Anderson? Anybody?

OpenCurtain
OpenCurtain 10/18/12 - 06:40 am

To the "Christ has no political affiliation."

True,
but I am willing to go out on a limb an predict he'd side with what was good and fair and honest over, Bad, unjust and dishonest.

OpenCurtain
OpenCurtain 10/18/12 - 06:50 am

Can the Univer­sity of South Carolina pay figure be right?

We hear so much about how Educators are underpaid and costs need to be raised to properly pay them.

Maybe they should follow the great teachings of Chairman Obama and have them share the wealth among themselves. (all of the above was sarcasm)

Raises a good question:
What is our favorite Local College President getting paid a year?

Answer: AZZIZ,RICARDO PRESIDENT
Salary $659,600.04
Travel $15,469.69

see PAGE 11

seenitB4
seenitB4 10/18/12 - 06:49 am

The hurting is all over me ....

When your ole back hurts you can relate to this.....all over...

funny as I look at this video I see the skinny skinny ties the men are wearing....wow fashion from country guys.....but their hineys are covered by golly.

seenitB4
seenitB4 10/18/12 - 06:55 am

Just for you RA--they ain't taking his guns..:)

Democratic Rep. John Barrow is packing heat in a new ad touting his National Rifle Association endorsement,” the Fox News politics blog reported yesterday, linking to a video where the incumbent representative promises “'Ain't nobody gonna take' my guns away.”

seenitB4
seenitB4 10/18/12 - 07:15 am

Say what...

Answer: AZZIZ,RICARDO PRESIDENT
Salary $659,600.04
Travel $15,469.69

He makes that much....no dang wonder he likes it here..

seenitB4
seenitB4 10/18/12 - 07:29 am

LLamb says...

Ranter # 2 wishes

That's called vigilantism, and it can be a crime.

WE are a flock....& a flock can do anything....if we flock together it will not be vigilantism.....

justthefacts
justthefacts 10/18/12 - 07:48 am

Surely

"WHY ON EARTH DID Diane Sawyer not ask President Obama any questions about the Libyan Embassy debacle?" This question has to be rhetorical, right?

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 10/18/12 - 07:51 am

Housing Allowance

Don't forget that Azziz gets to live in that mansion on Milledge Ave. free and clear.

shrimp for breakfast
shrimp for breakfast 10/18/12 - 07:51 am

"RANT TO ANY VOTER who uses

"RANT TO ANY VOTER who uses religion to vote and not consider all the issues. The U.S. is not the Kingdom of God. Christ has no political affiliation."

I think Jesus would be an Independent. Too bad He's not running.

shrimp for breakfast
shrimp for breakfast 10/18/12 - 07:53 am

MOrnin' Peeps

Now let's get to posting about the issues of the day.
Now if I could only think of an issue.

seenitB4
seenitB4 10/18/12 - 07:53 am

Who knew....3rd party debate next week...

ST. PAUL, Minn. -- Larry King, the celebrated talk show host accustomed to A-list interview guests, has agreed to moderate a debate featuring a squad of minor-party presidential candidates.

The former CNN giant will guide next Tuesday's debate in Chicago, which will be broadcast on the Internet. The candidates taking part are the Libertarian Party's Gary Johnson, the Green Party's Jill Stein, the Constitution Party's Virgil Goode and the Justice Party's Rocky Anderson.

King told The Associated Press that it's clear none of them will win, but he said they all deserve a voice in the presidential race. Democrats and Republicans are keeping tabs on Johnson and Goode, two ex-Republicans who could be factors in key battleground states.

"They have a story to tell. It's a valid story," King said. "It's a two-party system, but not a two-party system by law."

King left CNN in 2010 and now hosts a show on Ora.TV, an on-demand Internet channel.

Riverman1
Riverman1 10/18/12 - 08:10 am

About the lady at the grocery

About the lady at the grocery checkout with the other woman in a hurry throwing her stuff up on the conveyor, too, getting it all mixed up. You know that two foot long hard plastic divider thing that's up there. Pick it up and WHACK HER HARD ON THE HAND everytime she does it.

Riverman1
Riverman1 10/18/12 - 08:12 am

Larry King is so old and

Larry King is so old and emaciated, all I see with him now is teeth, glasses and hair. Does he even pass the nursing home able to feed himself check?

shrimp for breakfast
shrimp for breakfast 10/18/12 - 08:13 am

Hey River

Now that was funny!!!

JustLilMe
JustLilMe 10/18/12 - 08:13 am

Diane Sawyer is a flaming

Diane Sawyer is a flaming liberal. *That's* why she didn't ask a tough question to Obama.

seenitB4
seenitB4 10/18/12 - 08:32 am

For River & Shrimp for making fun of L King

one day YOUR day will come....☺

I don't care how old King is ...he still would be better than that darn english toad we have now....
anyway...L King is still good for making a few million more & his wife wants him to stay on the air & make IT!

seenitB4
seenitB4 10/18/12 - 08:34 am

I can see RM & Shrimp working til their 80s too

Your Mrs will put yall out to dry too.....make that $$$.....write a dang book...

shrimp for breakfast
shrimp for breakfast 10/18/12 - 08:38 am

Hey seenit

I thought River's thought on the lady at the checkout was funny. Not the Larry king comment.
I like Larry King. What's left of him!

shrimp for breakfast
shrimp for breakfast 10/18/12 - 08:42 am

There's nothing to comment on

Have you noticed that Honey Boo Boo at seven years old doesn't speak clearly. I know 3 year olds who I can understand better than her.
Maybe I just don't speak redneckese.

Pedestrian killed on Mike Padgett Highway

A pedestrian was struck and killed Thursday night on Mike Padgett Highway. The victim is the fifth pedestrian to be hit - and third to die - on Richmond County roads since April 10.