Rants & Raves

Comments from readers:

YOUR ARTICLE ABOUT the River Glen apartments speaks volumes about not just what is happening in the Augusta area, but in the USA at large. Places like this should simply be razed and never built again. Quit providing shack-up houses at taxpayer expense for baby breeders/fifth-generation moochers who contribute absolutely nothing to society.

JOHN BARROW PRETENDING TO be an independent is almost as funny as Obama pretending to be for the middle class!

AS ELECTION TIME rolls around I would like to say rants to the morning show hosts who say such bad things about President Obama. I hope people won’t tune in. I don’t know the name, but I don’t like them. They disrespect the president just because he’s black.

ALL RICHARD ROUNDTREE TALKS about is love and coming together. I would like to know where I can see his qualifications to lead one of the largest sheriff’s departments in the state of Georgia. I have read all his statements, but nothing about what makes him qualified. I know Sanders’ qualifications.

I CAN’T BELIEVE SOME banks have the audacity to charge you $7.50 to cash a check. Where is America going to?

A BIG THANK-YOU TO Chris Toole of North Augusta Public Safety. Thank you for your kindness to me at the barber shop last week and thank you for your service to the community.

THE PROBLEM WITH Romney in the polls is that he actually thinks Americans want to work. He thinks work establishes pride and self-reliance. Obama’s ahead with empty promises and handouts. If you think his socialism is the way, look at Europe.

IT IS A SHAME THAT the city of Augusta could host a worldwide event such as the Ironman and fail to clean up the Savannah River and the Riverwalk area in which the competitors had to swim and our visitors strolled along to witness trash along the banks and in the river. I was embarrassed that we didn’t spruce things up for our visitors!

NO, NOT AGAIN! I see that Marion Williams is running for commissioner again. Remember the havoc he created the last time he was a commissioner? He does not deserve another chance so this time, vote for an alternative!

dstewartsr
20389
dstewartsr 10/14/12 - 05:29 pm
"Obama’s ahead with empty promises

... and handouts." An entire edifice has been built on making more and more dependent on the government. After a lifetime of government housing and dollars as well as an education which not only indoctrinates them to be victims, but does not prepare them to be anything else, well, they cannot afford NOT to support the one promising bread and circuses -- or ebt and cellphones for life, as it were.

dstewartsr
20389
dstewartsr 10/14/12 - 05:36 pm
RICHARD ROUNDTREE

"...his qualifications to lead one of the largest sheriff’s departments in the state of Georgia...(?)" He's black in a black-majority county. Demoted, disgraced, he follows the Marion Barry, Ed Macintyre, Charles Walker model so loved by his community.

dstewartsr
20389
dstewartsr 10/14/12 - 05:40 pm
"I was embarrassed

... that we didn’t spruce things up for our visitors!" Augusta only cleans up once a year. And it ain't for the locals, either.

Fools_and_sages
Fools_and_sages 10/14/12 - 06:18 pm
Socialism in Georgia

If you went to college on HOPE scholarships or ever got any kind of scholarship from a private organization or a government agency, then you have taken advantage of socialism. HOPE is funded by lottery money, which means people buy tickets and that profit gets divided between kids to send them to school because it amounts to profit sharing with the public. If you are a customer of Georgia Power, you are patronizing socialism. Georgia Power cut rates this year because the state government does not allow them to make a profit off lower fuel costs. When government dictates the profit structure of a company providing public utilities or public services, it's socialism because it's wealth redistribution to the public. If you or your child ever went to public school, you have taken advantage of socialism because the state, local, and federal governments combine to fund education. The state takes your income taxes and reapportions them to school districts based on the numbers of students present. The local government does the same with the school tax portion of your property taxes. Funding public schools is basically wealth sharing among different institutions that better different communities. Socialism has existed in the US for years and it has been very successful at least in terms of providing high quality public education in the past. Anything you label socialism when it comes to Obama is probably a policy that existed long before he took office, with the exception of Obamacare. Welfare, Social Security, Medicare, Medicaid-- all were created prior to 1950, before Obama was even born. If you, your parents, of your grandparents have ever taken advantage of any of these programs, gone to public school gotten a college scholarship, or used electricity from Georgia Power, then you or somebody in your family has benefited from socialism. You're also all good Americans who love democracy, so maybe you need to realize that socialism is an economic system and democracy is a governmental system and the two can peacefully coexist because they have for decades.

rebellious
20656
rebellious 10/14/12 - 11:26 pm
Bump

This post was made late on yesterdays R&Rs. It deserves a repeat today.

From New Poster "Nats Mom"

Unsolved...Murder 2003

although I no longer live within the county of Richmond; I spent many years. I am not a politician by no means; but I am hoping that some folks will read..think bout WHO they vote in as the Sheriff of Richmond. I had the misfortune of being introduced..to Rountree. My daughter was murdered in 2003..I got this arrogant...self centered man who could not find his way out of a paper bag. Trust me people of Richmond County that is not the kind of man you want and need as the Sheriff. As for his qualifications..I know them..or lack of them..Just where do folks find his qualifications. NOT any!! He was not a decent investigator...even though he would like for all the voters to think he was topdog. My daughter's case is cold..and kept in a drawer..I am never to know her murderer until I meet her in heaven. I was treated like the criminal in this case; because I wanted to find the wrong. Rountree was a joke. Now I have known of Freddie Sanders since the 60's...He is very qualified...smart...interested in the welfare and training of the deputies...would keep their morale up. Freddie Sanders is qualified...to be an excellent Sheriff for the people of Richomond County. Maybe after years and years of poor law enforcement...Richmond County could come up to standards in protecting You the Voters.

rebellious
20656
rebellious 10/14/12 - 11:33 pm
I Knew Natalie

I know Nat's Mom, and I knew Natalie. Natalie was an incorrigible youth, wildly tossed about, loudly opinionated, loved life, and was my son's best friend. She would waltz into my home, unannounced, in a pair of pajama's, plop her butt down after hugging us , and then commence to tell us what was bothering her. We loved her and she was a part of our family.

I got a call on a Saturday morning, she was dead. Had taken pills to commit suicide while her mother and step dad were out of town. I rushed over to the house with my wife. They explained the police surmised she had taken a bunch of pills to commit suicide, then must have had second thoughts. In her struggle to get to a neighbor's house, they figured she had knocked over plants and made smudges on the windows and doors of the florida room. She was found facedown in an old sandbox when they got there. Call at the scene was suicide.

So we did what family and friends do. We cleaned up anything that would remind them of her struggle with her decision. Straightened out furniture, cleaned smudges on windows.

After a long Saturday, we were back to comfort them on Sunday. I took the call on their home phone from the Sheriff's Office...They said "please ask everyone to get out of the house, we are on our way" We complied, confused about what it meant. When the CSI team arrived, they explained to the family that when the body was cleaned of sand from the sandbox, it became clear Natalie had been suffocated, or choked to death. Bruises around her neck and sand sucked into her lungs were the evidence. She had been brutally murdered, and we had been unwitting accomplices by eliminating every fingerprint left by her and the murderer.

Her mother was devastated, and remains so to this date. The marraige gradually dissolved. The mother has been battling Cancer on top of this grief. I only tell you this to give you the total affects of a lackluster investigation into a death.

Natalie's file was one of those found in Richard Roundtree's vacated apartment which made the news. My son was interrogated afterwards. My whole family had to get fingerprinted, to add to the appearance that they were doing their job, although we knew we had cleaned all fingerprints and evidence from the scene.

Help tell this story, in which Richard Roundtree was a prominent figure as Investigator. He is not fit to be on the force, much less our Sheriff.

Natalie's killer still runs free, and it will most likely never be solved.

rebellious
20656
rebellious 10/14/12 - 11:38 pm
Rant #3

Their names are Mary Liz and Harley Drew. The station is WGAC (as if you didn't really know). They are the top ranked show in Augusta. And they say things that the Liberal Media will not say. King Obama must go for America to continue as a free enterprise, Republic of joined States, with a Federal Government designed and constitutionally permitted to govern and provide all things not provided or restricted by the individual States.

God Bless America!

rebellious
20656
rebellious 10/14/12 - 11:43 pm
I wasn't there

But where were you? Ranter #8?

Did you try to organize a group to clean? Did you individually go down and try to pick up some trash? Or did you expect your government to "do it for you"? Efforts such as this require individual effort. Not Monday morning quarterbacks who sit on their butts and complain. By the way, I don't volunteer, but I also don't complain about such things.

Tullie
Tullie 10/15/12 - 04:45 am
Rant #8

I kinda see this ranters viewpoint. Since we do try to clean up some for Masters week for our visitors, we should try to clean up for other visitors as well.

That is one thing that really gets to me as well. I don't understand why people seem to think the world is their trash can. What is it with people throwing trash out of their car windows?

Why are people at Diamond Lakes who are walking on the track or around the other areas of this park too lazy to walk to the trash can to throw away their drink bottles or coffee cups, food, or pick up their dog poop?

And please, don't say because it is South Augusta..I see trash everywhere even in Evans and Martinez areas. The people there are not any better when it comes to that.

seenitB4
seenitB4 10/15/12 - 06:05 am
Thanks Rebel

I'm glad you reposted nat's mom post again...very important to Richmond county voters...

Riverman1
Riverman1 10/15/12 - 06:29 am
Rebel, that's an important

Rebel, that's an important post about Natalie's death. I've noticed the RCSO and coroner play it both ways. Some obvious overdose deaths are not investigated, nor autopsies performed and they end up being called death by natural causes. The reason for investigating even suicides is because of the pills involved. How were they obtained and so on.

In this case it seems it was an overdose, yet they went out of their way to prove wrong doing. On the other hand some influential families simply were given a death certificate saying natural causes.

I've got mixed feelings about the whole matter. Sparing families added grief is not a bad thing to do. I'm not upset at the coroner, but when you hear what happened to you in Natalie's case where they went to the other extreme you have to think there's a double standard.

wayne2410
wayne2410 10/15/12 - 06:51 am
#3 If the only problem folks

#3

If the only problem folks had with Obama was him being black, this country would be in great shape. I think it is more because of his trying to destroy the economy and siding with the muslim terrorists that has people bummed out on him. Being black ain't the problem, many of us would vote for Condeleeza Rice in a heartbeat, color is not the issue, it is the liberals using it as a weapon that is causing the problem, which is typical, most problems we have can be traced to liberals and their stupid and destructive ideas.

seenitB4
seenitB4 10/15/12 - 06:55 am
CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 10/15/12 - 07:12 am
Day 23 And Counting.

Good Morning and God Bless America.

You know what I perceive about the Richmond County Sheriff Race, is the making of another King SMNCICBHO parallel world and situation.
I strongly suggest that you vote with your BRAIN and not with your EYES.

If not, so be it. It's your county, not mine, but America is my country.

dstewartsr
20389
dstewartsr 10/15/12 - 08:21 am
Still nothing on the violent home invasion by cops?

Wondering, who's being protected?

seenitB4
seenitB4 10/15/12 - 08:38 am
We need to know these things...Logcabindem has it

MIAMI (AP) — Word that a giant eyeball washed up on a South Florida beach has created a buzz on the Internet and in the marine biology community.

The huge, blue eyeball may have come from a deep sea squid or a large sword fish, said Heather Bracken-Grissom, an assistant professor in the marine science program at Florida International University in Miami.

A man found the eyeball while taking a morning stroll along Pompano Beach just north of Fort Lauderdale. He contacted state wildlife officials, who took possession of the softball-sized eyeball.

theevangelist2
theevangelist2 10/15/12 - 08:42 am
Commissioners Running Again

Yes, Yes Marion Williams is another one who needs to go home and enjoy life and allow a younger mind with fresh ideas handle it now. You have done a good job so let your record live.

seenitB4
seenitB4 10/15/12 - 08:42 am
A squid is smarter than you think...

"The squid is a mollusk -- an animal closely related to a clam," says Gilly, "but it has an amazingly rich behavioral repertoire. Its brain is probably as complicated as that of some mammals."

He points out that the squid is an ideal species for conducting neurological research, because its elaborate brain is connected to a set of giant axons -- the largest nerve cells in the animal kingdom (see illustration).

A giant axon can grow to be a millimeter wide, and its large size makes it much easier to measure electrical signals to and from the brain while the squid is carrying out various behaviors.

Startle-escape response

It is a well-known fact, write Gilly and Preuss, that a startled squid will release a powerful jet of water that propels its body forward or backward so it can escape predators.

Augusta resident
Augusta resident 10/15/12 - 10:19 am
A racist election

Last time obama ran for office he said he was half white. Haven't heard that in 4 years. Now blacks say if you don't vote for him, it's because he's black. Actually, the only reason YOU are voting for him is because he's black and you can't think for yourself. Look in your wallet people. Look at how much food cost. Look at how much gas cost. Health care? get a friggin job and pay your own bills.

mooseye
mooseye 10/15/12 - 10:24 am
CLEAN UP

I was born in Augusta, so I feel I have a right to voice my opinion.
Why does Augusta have to clean up "once a year" anyway?
If you want to make a good impression on visitors, there should not be a need to clean up.
I remember when the only people who ventured near the river were squatters and bootleggers and the like. Then someone figured out that much money could be made from building apartments and condos, so the squatters were removed.
If you really care about the appearance of your town, you would demand that the riverfront be cleaned up and kept that way.
Law enforcement could aggressively pursue litter law violators and the fines collected could be ear marked to pay for cleaning the river.

Augusta resident
Augusta resident 10/15/12 - 10:28 am
By the way, the only reason

By the way, the only reason I'm not voting for a black person is because obama had his people lie on Herman Cain and he dropped out of the race. I hope Romney put Cain in charge of something when he's elected.

Retired Army
Retired Army 10/15/12 - 11:34 am
Punday October 15th

Did you hear about the guy whose whole left side was cut off? He's all right now.

Tots
Tots 10/15/12 - 11:50 am
Thumbs up/down,

Hi Augusta resident,I'm sorry for some of those thumbs down you got..
Not sure what's going on,but for every thumb up I gave you ,it also gave you a thumb down...Sorry!!

bigclaude
bigclaude 10/15/12 - 01:03 pm
Ranter #3

You don't like the morning hosts because they disrespect Obama (only due to his race), yet you know so little about the people that you are criticizing that you don't even know their names????!!!! Priceless!!!!!

I'll try not to listen to the nameless, racist, morning meanies if I can manage to figure out who they are.

daphne3520
daphne3520 10/15/12 - 01:35 pm
Response to Rant # 3..... I wonder, when will

all you Rhodes Scholars realize Obama is ONE HALF BLACK, ONE HALF WHITE!!!! NOT "BLACK!"

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 10/15/12 - 01:59 pm
#3

99% of the people supporting Herman Cain's STRONG primary showing are Obama critics. Are you capable of processing that fact or do you want to stil chew on that tired old "racist" bone?

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 10/15/12 - 02:07 pm
Great idea & something Augusta should think about....

Sez Seenit. Old friend, you've been away toooooo long!! The folks around here would never stand for spending money on a public amenity. Besides, they would probably have to put it in an area that would give the thuggies, druggies, and urban outdoors people a hangout and expressway to downtown.

Retired Army
Retired Army 10/15/12 - 02:11 pm
Come On #3

Anybody with a lick of sense knows that the election of a Black man in 2008 has forever eradicated any semblance of Racism in Southern America, now and forever.

Meanwhile up north:http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/10/14/jason-thompson-obama_n_1965692.html

Retired Army
Retired Army 10/15/12 - 02:16 pm
And at a Republican rally in Santa Clara, CA

But we've got the problem licked here, no matter what you see on the street or read here on the Chronicle website.

bigclaude
bigclaude 10/15/12 - 02:21 pm
No RA....

Racism is not eradicated in Southern America and never will be as long as I as a white guy cannot say anything critical about a Black President without someone jumping to the conclusion that it has anything to do with his race.