Rants & Raves

Comments from readers:

HUGE RANT TO voters who do not know the issues before voting. The presidential debates will help you relate to the two men running for presidency. Vote for the person who will give you an America that you will be proud of. Do your homework, do not limit yourself to just one TV channel for your news, and vote smart. America depends on your vote.

IT’S CALLED THE AUGUSTA CHRONICLE, but when you look in the sports pages through the week, all you see are Columbia County teams and featured athletes. The only way a Richmond County school team gets a mention is if they happened to play a Columbia County school! Don’t be so biased with your coverage, Chronicle!

CORWIN AND HODSON, thumbs up to you both for your fine article about the top-heavy MCG people over ASU for New U. Too bad you don’t get press releases on some staff and faculty shifts that are too quietly taking place. Look very carefully at the listings of department chairs and makeup of the departments now compared to the listing earlier this year. Look who’s already out at ASU.

THE GEORGIA LABOR Department announced that “Georgia’s seasonally adjusted unemployment rate was 9.2 percent in August.” How can anybody knowing this vote for Obama? Surely Georgians are too smart to fall for that guy again.

WHY IS THE United States never mentioned in Biblical prophecy? Consider that we are now sinking fast into oblivion. Maybe that’s why the U.S. is not mentioned. Maybe the U.S. won’t exist when Jesus returns.

OBAMA WANTS TO GIVE $450 MILLION in cash to Egypt. Hillary wants $45 million for the Syrian “rebels.” Meanwhile, back in the US of A we can’t repair our broken roads and bridges.

HOW DO I KNOW that I am a Richmond County teacher? My paycheck gets smaller every year.

I THINK WAYNE FRAZIER is setting himself and RCBOE up for numerous lawsuits. My local GAE and PAGE will do nothing to protect my job. Wayne, you have overstepped your boundaries.

WHY DON’T ALL voters who believe in God vote Republican? Democrats believe in partial-birth abortion, which is the taking of an innocent life.

Jane18
Jane18 10/11/12 - 12:30 pm
R&R #5..

It is! But, because all the so-called ministers, pastors, priests, reverends, etc., do not know how to interpret The Word, people are ignorant as to what and who their heritage is. If only "the teachers" would explain the 10 lost tribes of Israel, everyone would know where America is in The Bible. I've said this before and I'll say it again..all Jewish people(tribes of Judah and Benjamin in the little country of Israel) are Israelites, BUT, all Israelites are Not Jewish!...I was talking to a Hindu man the other day, and believe it or not, he knew more about Jesus Christ than most people I know claiming to be Christian! I would love to go deeper on the subject of the 10 Tribes, but, I am not going to say things that some people will call "crazy". I don't want anyone to say something that one day may be held against them. The best thing to do is some research about the 10 tribes, and hold your spiritual teachers accountable as to teaching "the truth"!! Where are you, myfather15??

Angie H
Angie H 10/11/12 - 02:26 pm
"HUGE RANT TO voters who do

"HUGE RANT TO voters who do not know the issues before voting."

A bigger rant for those who know the issues and still plan to vote for a failed President.

Riverman1
Riverman1 10/11/12 - 04:35 pm
Harley said, "Don't worry,

Harley said, "Don't worry, Riverman...I'm sure it's you. :)"

Harley, I wish I could make you luv me more.

Riverman1
Riverman1 10/11/12 - 04:41 pm
All This Made Me Think

Ummmmm, LOL and all that.....Is Facebook going to surplant....fill in the blank? Big Changes coming in my opinion. Heck, I won't know who to pay.

Riverman1
Riverman1 10/11/12 - 04:45 pm
Angie H, our local Ann

Angie H, our local Ann Coulter,.......love it.

seenitB4
seenitB4 10/11/12 - 05:25 pm
Sigh

I still miss Conway...

Bring him back River...or at least sing like he did.......& harley will never fall in love with you so stop day dreaming ....:)

seenitB4
seenitB4 10/11/12 - 05:28 pm
Surplant something...☺

You never know what mischief lies ahead.....this place could start hopping with some bells & whistles.......
We need some cowbells.....

harley_52
harley_52 10/11/12 - 05:31 pm
"I wish I could make you luv me more."

Riverman....I love you like a brother already. Any more and there'd be whispers about us.

seenitB4
seenitB4 10/11/12 - 05:31 pm
Numbers...

I would trade these #s under me for some cartoons on here.....some color posts.....some variety--:)

seenitB4
seenitB4 10/11/12 - 05:32 pm
whispers about us.

We do that already...:)

Riverman1
Riverman1 10/11/12 - 05:38 pm
I'm curious about how many

I'm curious about how many local radio employees have health insurance paid for by the radio stations. In addition, how many husbands making more money than their wives who are teachers are covered by the state-county health insurance in the Columbia County School System? I understand the restrictions on family members also receiving health care insurance are very strict.

seenitB4
seenitB4 10/11/12 - 05:51 pm
Popcorn

Gotta get my popcorn popped...my drinks ready.......for the debate tonight....something tells me this will be hotter than the other debate....I hope so......byebye..

Riverman1
Riverman1 10/11/12 - 06:03 pm
Also, if any contract

Also, if any contract constructed for someone with a spouse who is a teacher omits health care coverage purposefully for the reason of forcing the county-state to cover the family members, is it legal?

Riverman1
Riverman1 10/11/12 - 06:15 pm
If I know of such a case as I

If I know of such a case as I mentioned in the above comment, where do I report it? Anyone know?

Willow Bailey
20603
Willow Bailey 10/11/12 - 06:36 pm
That's rather strange, River...

My question would be, how do you know someone's private information concerning income and health benefits and what motivates you to find an entity to report it to?

Riverman1
Riverman1 10/11/12 - 06:47 pm
Good question, Willow. It's a

Good question, Willow although I don't think of it as being strange in any way. It's a general question I thought of listening to the radio today where someone said he arranged HIS contract so his wife, a teacher, would cover him under her health insurance and has previously said he makes more than his wife. You're not a teacher are you? I don't mean to tick off teachers. I'm sure most don't use any such tactic.

Trouble
Trouble 10/11/12 - 06:47 pm
good question rm

definitely worth researching...some people believe themselves to be above the law

harley_52
harley_52 10/11/12 - 06:52 pm
I Don't Know The Specifics...

...but it is not uncommon for a husband and wife, who both work, to choose between the medical coverage offered by both employers so as to end up with the one that suits them best in terms of cost and coverage. It happens all the time.

If there's some city/county policy which removes the ability of their employee to make such a choice I must plead ignorance. My experience has only been with private employers, not public, except that I know it's not uncommon for retired military people to opt for private insurance over Tricare if it's available through their own, or their spouse's, employment.

Riverman1
Riverman1 10/11/12 - 06:59 pm
Harley, yep, if a private

Harley, yep, if a private employer gives health insurance to an employee who is retired military, that's perfectly okay and the person is required to use the private insurance.

harley_52
harley_52 10/11/12 - 07:10 pm
No, They're Not..

..."required" to use the private insurance, or at least they didn't used to be. I paid for corporate health insurance from my employer, my wife paid for health insurance through her employer, and we were both paying for Tricare Prime. When such a situation exists, the private insurance becomes primary and is billed by Tricare as primary, with Tricare picking up a secondary share, and we even had a Tricare Supplement to cover the tertiary amount.

happychimer
happychimer 10/11/12 - 07:13 pm
When voters go to the polls

When voters go to the polls to vote, it is none of my business who they vote for. It's their choice. That's it. If they vote Obama or Romney, it's their choice. I will vote for Obama, and that is my choice. no explanation needed.

Riverman1
Riverman1 10/11/12 - 07:17 pm
Let me say it THIS way. If a

Let me say it THIS way. If a retired military person uses government facilities, he is required to have his private insurance, assuming he has any, pay the costs. Tricare is a whole other game with availability statements necessary and so on. For those over 65, Tricare does pick up the Medicare secondary costs if the person has Medicare Part A and B. Does this jive with your thoughts?

Riverman1
Riverman1 10/11/12 - 07:22 pm
"I know people who negotiated

"I know people who negotiated with their employers to be paid more in salary to forego the private insurance for which they were otherwise eligible."

Remember we are not talking about retired military, but teachers. Is there a stipulation that says spouses cannot use such tactics and remain on their wives teachers' insurance? I think THAT'S the question.

Willow Bailey
20603
Willow Bailey 10/11/12 - 07:43 pm
Yes, less strange now. I

Yes, less strange now. I wasn't aware of the beginnings of your thought process. Personally paying paying out the whazuu for health benefits. Has anyone tried going Major Medical only? if do, how's it working for you? I can pay a lot of up front for these high premiums.

Willow Bailey
20603
Willow Bailey 10/11/12 - 07:47 pm
Sorry, can't edit typos from

Sorry, can't edit typos from iPhone after sending.

harley_52
harley_52 10/11/12 - 08:55 pm
"Let me say it THIS way.....

.... If a retired military person uses government facilities, he is required to have his private insurance, assuming he has any, pay the costs....

True, but not complete. His private insurance is the Primary payer (as I said before). Tricare becomes the secondary payer and may pick up some/all of the costs not covered by his private insurance, if any remain.

harley_52
harley_52 10/11/12 - 09:16 pm
And for those over 65...

Tricare becomes the secondary payer again, with Medicare the primary. It's called Tricare For Life and it picks up all the costs Medicare doesn't pay so long as the insured uses a network provider.

KSL
KSL 10/11/12 - 09:45 pm
Harley, not any different

Harley, not any different than when our son was on the Carolina football team. Our personal insurance was the primary and Carolina pickd up the difference.

Young Fred
Young Fred 10/12/12 - 12:29 am
VP debate

If you watched the debate, one thing became clear. Many of the issues discussed in this debate would only be fully understood by informed voters.

I don't believe too many informed voters are undecided at this point. I also don't believe too many voters are swayed by VP debates.

So, for the few undecideds that may have been swayed by this debate, it probably came down to debating style, gut reaction to that style, and TV presence.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 10/12/12 - 12:57 am
Young Fred

You are correct. Biden tried to pander to the uninformed voter several times by saying, "Trust me."

But it won't work. Uninformed voters weren't watching. It was too boring.

Georgia to monitor potential Ebola travelers

Georgia is one of six states that will soon begin active monitoring of all travelers from three Ebola-stricken countries in West Africa for the 21 days during which they could develop an infection ...