Church fights request to sell alcohol at Walmart

POWDER SPRINGS, Ga. — A church outside Atlanta is fighting a Walmart Supercenter’s plans to sell alcohol.

The Marietta Daily Journal reports that the store wants the Cobb County Board of Commissioners to waive its restriction of selling alcohol within 600 feet of a church.

The Rev. Bobby Wood of Pine Grove Baptist Church says congregation members are asking commissioners not to approve the waiver for the store on Barrett Parkway in the Powder Springs area.

The county’s community development director, Rob Hosack, said commissioners are expected to consider the issue at a meeting Tuesday morning.

Powder Springs is about 20 miles northwest of Atlanta.

rmwhitley
rmwhitley 10/09/12 - 08:26 am
Churches are

tax exempt, Wal-mart is not.

Riverman1
Riverman1 10/09/12 - 09:08 am
Time for Walmart to make a

Time for Walmart to make a contribution to the Rev. Bobby Wood of Pine Grove Baptist Church.

soldout
soldout 10/09/12 - 10:50 am
people who stand for something

Good to hear there are some pastors who still lead folks instead of entertaining them.

Farmboy
Farmboy 10/09/12 - 12:01 pm
God and Alcohol

Instead of spending a lot of energy worrying about the sale of alcohol there or anywhere else, take it to the Lord in prayer and ask for guidance. God is more powerful than alcohol, regardless of where it is sold.

thauch12
thauch12 10/09/12 - 12:24 pm
Silliness...

Because Walmart selling alcohol is magically going to cause their congregation to develop a drinking problem? That is the only rational reason I could see behind this...

InChristLove
InChristLove 10/09/12 - 01:14 pm
"the store wants the Cobb

"the store wants the Cobb County Board of Commissioners to waive its restriction of selling alcohol within 600 feet of a church"

Why should walmart get a waiver when all other establishments must follow the state statues.

thauch12, it has nothing to do with the congregation developing a drinking problem, but has everything to do with following the law....is that rational reasoning for you?

thauch12
thauch12 10/09/12 - 02:28 pm
Not really...it's an outdated

Not really...it's an outdated law that makes very little sense in this case.

InChristLove
InChristLove 10/09/12 - 02:31 pm
Well until the statue is

Well until the statue is taken off the books, I'd say all must follow the same law, whether it makes sense or not.

InChristLove
InChristLove 10/09/12 - 02:36 pm
And as an afterthought.....I

And as an afterthought.....I hope you aren't promoting, if something doesn't make sense to you, you don't have to obey the law....especially since this is ONLY a church. Would it make a difference if this was a package store right next to a daycare facility?

thauch12
thauch12 10/09/12 - 02:45 pm
I'm not promoting anything.

I'm not promoting anything. Don't put words in my mouth to further your agenda.

And I also don't see your point. The law states you can't sell alcohol 600 feet away from a church. The only legal way to do is to get a waiver...which is exactly what Walmart is doing.

InChristLove
InChristLove 10/09/12 - 03:19 pm
Didn't say you were promoting

Didn't say you were promoting anything....I do believe I asked a question, not stated an opinion. When you ask a question, it's not putting words in someone's mouth, it is to get a clearer understanding of what someone said. Geeze, people are touchy.

My point is, you stated it was "Silliness" that the church would oppose Walmart seeeking a waiver to sell alcohol, AND implied that the only reason you could see that the church would oppose is fear that their congregation would develop a drinking problem. I only stated it was a state statue and questioned, was your only reason for thinking this was "silliness" was due to the fact it was a church opposing the waiver.

Yes, Walmart is legally seeking a waiver, and likewise, the church is legally opposing the wavier. So, as I asked before, would you think it was "silliness" if it was a day care opposing the sell of alcohol so close to their establishment, or a school opposing the sell of alcohol so close to their establishment, or is it because it is a church that is opposing that you find it such "silliness".

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 10/09/12 - 09:56 pm
Government by waiver

Government by waiver is the Obama way to govern. You drown the lawbooks with laws and the rulebooks with regulations, then the dictator gets to give waivers to his cronies.

Either enforce the rule or repeal it. But don't go down the waiver highway. We are already a fascist government. We don't want to go totally socialist.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 10/09/12 - 11:35 pm
I have to agree with ICL in

I have to agree with ICL in principle, though I disagree with the premise of the law. Walmart should not get a waiver if it is the law, no matter how silly that law may be.

And no, ICL; I would not be upset with a package store next door to a daycare center. Children are influenced by **the example of adults in their lives, not by what kind of business is next door to their school/daycare. As far as it being a safety concern, I can't imagine how.

** and to a minor extent, pop culture; but that goes back to parental leadership.

KSL
KSL 10/10/12 - 12:30 am
The law needs to go.

The law needs to go.

KSL
KSL 10/10/12 - 12:43 am
I don't recall any publicized

I don't recall any publicized incidents of patrons of Wal-Mart buying beer or wine and hanging around the parking lot within 600 feet of a school, consuming the product. I personally would be more conernened about the toe suckers and the other body part grabbers that have recently been gravitating to Walmart.

Not to say Walmart is to blame. In this economy they just have a lot of traffic.

KSL
KSL 10/10/12 - 08:06 am
The pickings are "gooder."

The pickings are "gooder."

Techfan
Techfan 10/10/12 - 05:09 am
Unless there are a lot of

Unless there are a lot of toddlers with fake ID's, I don't see a problem with selling alcohol next to a day care center.

seenitB4
seenitB4 10/10/12 - 07:08 am
Law

The law needs to go...doesn't really make sense.

Angie H
Angie H 10/10/12 - 07:20 am
As long as the alcohol is 600

As long as the alcohol is 600 feet away I can resist, but if it's 599 feet....bottoms up! Makes sense.

Angie H
Angie H 10/10/12 - 07:21 am
For once I agree with

For once I agree with Techfan. Hasn't anyone ever heard of personal responsibility.

dstewartsr
20389
dstewartsr 10/10/12 - 08:33 am
Oh my...

... (fill in your politically acceptable word for diety)!

For once, I agree with Techfan.

dstewartsr
20389
dstewartsr 10/10/12 - 08:37 am
We've had this argument before...

about freeloading churches thinking themselves as arbiters of public morals. I think they should be able to serve their religious koolaid to their followers, but the rest of us should be free to ignore them.

Alcohol? Gasp! Next, there'll be dancing!

InChristLove
InChristLove 10/10/12 - 10:33 am
Make degrading comments all

Make degrading comments all you like because it is a church opposing the waiver. I do believe most of you have proven my point.

Fact is, there is a state statue against the sell of alcohol within 600 feet of a school or church. Why should a waiver be granted to anyone when all must follow by the same guidelines whether you agree with it or not. If you don't agree with it, then purpose a change in the statue.

If this article had been about a child care facility or an elementary school with a liquor store right next door, I wager many would have read this article and passed it on with no comment at all, BUT because it involves a religious group, a church no less....Oh my, how silly and stupid this all is. Those church folks just want to tell us all how to live.

It's a law, don't like it, change it, but don't kill the messenger. The shoe may be on the other foot next time.

Angie H
Angie H 10/10/12 - 10:55 am
Not I, inchristlove.....I

Not I, inchristlove.....I think it is silly to ban the sale any distance from anything.....it solves NOTHING.

InChristLove
InChristLove 10/10/12 - 11:04 am
I agree Angie, it solves

I agree Angie, it solves nothing. If someone needs a drink that bad they will find some place to beg, borrow, or steal it.

But as long as it is a law on the books, I say use it to your advantage to keep it out of the front door of your church or your child's school/day care. Have no problem with someone drinking alcohol but I've found it's better out of my life and out of my families life. If the law changes then I'll deal with it.....until it does, I say use the law to your advantage.

Democrats target turnout for Sunday voting

Registered voters in Augusta-Richmond County can cast ballots in the Nov. 4 election from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. Sunday in the Advance Voting Center at Augusta Municipal Building, 530 Greene St.