Vacant Harrisburg house destroyed by fire

  • Follow Metro

A vacant house in the 2000 block of Clark Street in Harrisburg went up in flames Monday night.

Back | Next
A vacant house on the 2000 block Clark Street in Harrisburg caught fire Monday night.  SUMMER MOORE/STAFF
A vacant house on the 2000 block Clark Street in Harrisburg caught fire Monday night.

Augusta-Richmond County fire shift commander Richard Burts said the home was fully engulfed when firefighters arrived around 8:45 p.m. The interior was destroyed, along with parts of the roof.

Homeowner Michael Wilson said it was the second time the rental property has caught fire. The first was about eight months ago, when he had it rented. Since then, he had boarded it up and was hoping to make repairs soon.

“It just shows you, no matter how well you board up the house, they are still going to find a way in,” he said, noting it looked like someone had broken into the residence to get warm.

He said the home would have to be torn down.

“We lost everything we were going to use for the remodel,” he said. “It seems like every time we take two steps forward, we end up three steps back.”

Comments (4) Add comment
ADVISORY: Users are solely responsible for opinions they post here and for following agreed-upon rules of civility. Posts and comments do not reflect the views of this site. Posts and comments are automatically checked for inappropriate language, but readers might find some comments offensive or inaccurate. If you believe a comment violates our rules, click the "Flag as offensive" link below the comment.
leebraxjr 10/09/12 - 07:55 am
Sorry about the loss of your

Sorry about the loss of your house, I hope it was insured. My happiness comes knowing no one lost their life. Even if the house was boarded up, it does not justify the house was an endangerment to the community.

useful 10/09/12 - 10:51 am

What a mean thing to say to someone,who just loss a house.

Conservative Man
Conservative Man 10/09/12 - 12:14 pm
Agree with you useful... even imply that this was somehow Mr.Wilson's fault is asinine....

It's the fault of the many bums , drunks, and dope heads who roam that troubled neighborhood.....

Bulldog 10/09/12 - 04:05 pm

Squatting is not uncommon here. It takes a constant presence to keep the scum out. This is the second house burned down by squatters in the recent past.

Back to Top

Top headlines

City to consider emergency plan

The Richmond County Emer­gency Management Agency has drafted changes to emergency operating procedures. Overlooked, however, were several pages of emergency contact data riddled with ...
Search Augusta jobs