Rants & Raves

Comments from readers:

WHEN I WAS GROWING up, truancy was never an issue since it would not be tolerated by either the parents or the school authorities. Since it’s a big issue right now, it’s time for the parents to stand up and take on the responsibility to stamp out the problem.

I HAVE SEEN RICHMOND County police officers twice driving while using the laptops in their patrol cars. Both times, the officers were not maintaining their lane. Officers using their laptops is just as bad as, if not worse than, texting while driving.

OBAMA’S “WEALTH has gone from about $1.2 million to more than $7 million during his tenure as president.” How does somebody’s net worth jump so much when he’s not working at making his net worth jump?

SEPT. 21, I WAS dog walking a German shepherd on Pleasant Home Road when I tripped and fell on the sidewalk, sustaining injuries. A good Samaritan, Brandon, who was across the road, witnessed my fall and called 911. While I was awaiting the ambulance, an off-duty EMT was driving down the road and spotted us. She stopped her vehicle, came to my aid and waited with me until Gold Cross EMS arrived. Regretfully, I did not get her name, and trying to obtain her identity has been an exercise in futility. I want to publicly let these two caring, concerned people know how very much I appreciated their assistance during this stressful event.

RANT FOR ALL YOU Richmond County politicians. When are you going to stop living in the Dark Ages? Look around you. Everywhere else is building new business, new homes. What does Rich­mond County have? Nothing. Because you guys are too busy fighting a race war. Why don’t you learn to come together? Get in the modern world.

RAVE TO ALL THE nurses and doctors who have been taking care of my husband at Doctors Hospital and MCG.

TOBACCO ROAD has it going on. They have a new Waffle House, Taco Bell, McDonald’s, Food Lion, Bi-Lo and Sprint. You name it, they’ve got it.

RANT ABOUT THE school bus situation. Last year it was a problem in Georgia; this year it is North Augusta. These buses are every day 45 minutes to an hour late and they are so decrepit and old that they can’t even hire drivers because they are afraid to drive those things.

seenitB4
seenitB4 10/09/12 - 09:36 am
In AJC

New sales tax rule hits online shoppers.....collecting tax from the web will add about $18M to state's coffers.....I'll be dang!

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 10/09/12 - 10:03 am
Voluntary?

I read on Atlanta's 11 Alive website (in the comments section) that many out of state vendors will not charge the tax. It will be interesting to see how that turns out. Anyway, if you're ordering anything by mail order, be very careful when checking the bottom line.

If you order from a site that sells in brick & mortar stores here in Georgia, they have been charging sales tax for some time, even if the thing is shipped from Michigan (for example, Land's End ships from Michigan but they charged tax because the sell their stuff in Sears stores here).

If you order from stores that do not have a presence in Georgia (as I do) you have been getting the stuff tax-free. It will be interesting to see if anything changes.

How will these out-of-state businesses know how much Georgia sales tax to charge? Some counties charge 8 percent, some 7, and some 6.

Jane18
Jane18 10/09/12 - 10:15 am
RA, Who are you calling.......................

RA, you need to watch out who all you are "Not" calling American Patriots! What an insult, and I know many that would be offended by that smart-aleck remark of yours. Shame on you RA, Shame, Shame, Shame!! Do you even know exactly what an American Patriot is? How about---one who loves and Zealously supports America. (Seems like I remember the wife and the "reverend" of someone lowrating America one time................do you remember that)? didn't sound like patriots to me........................

seenitB4
seenitB4 10/09/12 - 10:21 am
hah

Read it for yourself in the AJC.....it is on front page....

bye bye ....llamb knows I wouldn't lie to him...:)

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 10/09/12 - 10:48 am
Sales tax

When sales tax is not collected up front, Georgia residents are supposed to declare it on their tax return and pay "use tax". I'm one of the many scofflaws that don't bother to do it. Maybe in the long run collecting the state's 4% is not a bad thing considering the budget woes. After all, taxes based on money spent is pretty "FAIR(tax)" isn't it?

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 10/09/12 - 10:57 am
Tatoo

I saw a young woman Sunday morning who had a "sleeve" from shoulder to elbow. She is already a little on the heavier side, and the first thing I envisioned was what her arm will look like when she gets that big tricep sag in later years.

People certainly have a right to paint, pierce, and decorate their bodies any way they like; but the reasoning escapes me when the alterations are irreversible, and will get uglier as you get older.

daphne3520
daphne3520 10/09/12 - 11:16 am
Last Rant.....

First, be aware that once you've crossed the Mason-Dixon Line, it is not only fashionable, but expected, that one be late for ANYTHING! Second, please remember that Aiken County purchased NEW GPS Receivers for EVERY school bus, simply so the drivers can find their way to where ever they are late getting to!

rebellious
20630
rebellious 10/09/12 - 01:14 pm
Seenit

I always heard there were only two types: Good Ole Biguns and Big Ole Gooduns.

Afternoon fellow posters and TSDs. So you can't call a poster "Ignorant"? Oh the humanity of it all...

Angie H
Angie H 10/09/12 - 01:20 pm
If you can't call someone

If you can't call someone ignorant, can you say they are lacking in awareness or knowledge of a fact?

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 10/09/12 - 02:14 pm
Its so late when I can get on

Its so late when I can get on here now everything has been covered. About all I do is give a few thumbs up. I rarely give anybody a downer. That is unless it is blatantly factually challenged

Remember to thank a LEO.

happychimer
happychimer 10/09/12 - 02:16 pm
very interesting story today

very interesting story today on jail report.

Angie H
Angie H 10/09/12 - 02:34 pm
Factually challenged.....I

Factually challenged.....I like that.

seenitB4
seenitB4 10/09/12 - 03:02 pm
Rebel said

I always heard there were only two types: Good Ole Biguns and Big Ole Gooduns.

My daddy always said that.....daddy is it you??? :):)

Angie H
Angie H 10/09/12 - 03:09 pm
President Obama keeps

President Obama keeps reminding us that Bin Laden is dead. WE should keep reminding him that so are Agent Brian Terry and Ambassador Chris Stevens.

Riverman1
Riverman1 10/09/12 - 03:23 pm
Looks like Jimmy Vowell, the

Looks like Jimmy Vowell, the fired Col Cty inspector, who walked in the woman's bedroom, is in the news again. With our own KSM.

seenitB4
seenitB4 10/09/12 - 03:44 pm
With our own KSM.

Dang I never realized how dull my life is til ksm came along....at least shane can say very few dull moments in his life....

Hope everything works out in the wash for youtwo.

Retired Army
Retired Army 10/09/12 - 03:47 pm
Angie H10/09/12 - 01:20 pm

"willfully ignorant' seems to be a no no too. Doesn't it? Doesn't matter if it is the truth, just matters that someone's feelings may be hurt by the truth. So in accordance with the "Laws of Sean" there are no "willfully igonant" people even if there really are.

So many folks are now off the hook.

Sean Moores
Sean Moores 10/09/12 - 03:54 pm
Insults

We do not allow insulting other commenters. If you can't accept that rule, you should post comments somewhere else. I never thought this was a home for everyone. Some people can't argue their point respectfully. I don't want them here.

Willow Bailey
20580
Willow Bailey 10/09/12 - 03:58 pm
The Aistin Rhodes Show today

The Aistin Rhodes Show today , Wow!

Willow Bailey
20580
Willow Bailey 10/09/12 - 04:02 pm
Oops, make that Austin.

Oops, make that Austin.

Riverman1
Riverman1 10/09/12 - 04:15 pm
It appears every off-duty

It appears every off-duty deputy in the club that night backed up the statement KSM made. If there's a question of credibility here I think I know which one of those involved I'd believe.

seenitB4
seenitB4 10/09/12 - 04:17 pm
AGREE

I agree RM....some will play it up for the masses......

Riverman1
Riverman1 10/09/12 - 04:37 pm
Someone refresh my memory.

Someone refresh my memory. Why was Jimmy Vowell let go from the RCSO?

Riverman1
Riverman1 10/09/12 - 04:36 pm
Dubs

Ooops

Tullie
Tullie 10/09/12 - 04:44 pm
Riverman and seenitB4

I treated my niece and I to a tattoo in Saint Augustine, Fl. It was the henna kind it washed off in about a week. We had a good time picking it out and the guys had a good time flirting with her, it was fun ;o)

Hey..maybe I should open one of those here on the riverwalk..hmmm

seenitB4
seenitB4 10/09/12 - 04:51 pm
tullie

Open it....some have told me today they would get a fake tattoo for fun....
Will we get a % for giving you this great idea..? lol

dstewartsr
20389
dstewartsr 10/09/12 - 05:15 pm
Tattoos

... and piercings? The only modifications on my body have been done either violently with malice aplenty aforethought by unpleasant strangers with weapons, very much against my wishes, or by way of some dude with a medical degree and many years of practice removing some unpleasantry like a cancer or sewing me back together when I broke. I cannot for the life of me see the benefit of a permanent piece of "art" which one would not hang in the living room -- for life!

seenitB4
seenitB4 10/09/12 - 05:35 pm
Save the A bumper stickers at

CSRA BP statins---Sprint stores--Wife Savers...just heard that.

Willow Bailey
20580
Willow Bailey 10/09/12 - 06:19 pm
River,

It was a reference to your email that caught my attention to his show today. I had read some online comments that made no sense until now.

Riverman1
Riverman1 10/09/12 - 07:01 pm
Willow, I aim to inform like a

Willow, I aim to inform like a manic newsman shouting from the rooftops.

Commissioners seek attorney general's opinion on SPLOST

Two Augusta commissioners are seeking an opinion from Georgia Attorney General Sam Olens on the city's disbursement of sales tax proceeds to non-profits.