Rants & Raves

THIS IS A RANT against Augusta Animal Services! The stray dog population in the Harrisburg area is huge! I saw no less than five dogs this morning on/around the Eve Street exit and on the Calhoun Expressway! Please expand your hours.

TO THE PERSON ranting about Richmond County Board of Education auctions: Do you really think they are going to sell something that works? I think not. Now you have to spend more than you paid for it to get it in working order. Lesson learned. Now get off the computer and go try to find a job.

IF AMERICA NEEDS a strong middle class, why has Obama been waging war against the middle class his entire political life?

TO THE LADY who talked and texted to the married man: Sorry, darling, he lost interest in you because you are so boring.

I’D LIKE TO KNOW how the Columbia County tax office has the nerve to charge me, an 85-year-old woman, $261 in school taxes? I’m speechless.

IT IS GETTING to the point where you can’t even get your aches and pains taken care of here. This health business is for the birds.

YES, WE READERS would like for the editors to not publish their slanted and often illogical Republican viewpoints on the editorial page!

A RANT FOR Richmond County bus transportation and schools. My 6-year-old is being bullied on the bus and in school because of a troubled child who is bullying other children … and is not seeing any major consequences. He has thrown my son’s school supplies off the bus, yanked him around by his jacket, called him names and picked on his appearance. My child is very tiny and quiet for his age and has done nothing to deserve this. If this had been Glynn County, which we are from, those parents would have been ordered to seek professional help to see that the troubled child gets the resources he/she needs to perform adequately in school.

RANT TO THE Rich­mond school trustees. Why does the Richmond County board allow Su­per­intendent Roberson to live in South Carolina? If a superintendent can live out of state, why can’t students attend school out of zone? Vote the Richmond County school board out in November.

dstewartsr
20389
dstewartsr 10/07/12 - 09:35 pm
Your child will continue to be bullied

... It saddens me to write, because the school system cannot deal with anything less serious than armed insurrection; their hands are too full with assaults, arsons, rapes, and lawsuits triggered by racist and clocking supervisors. You need to be in another system.

dstewartsr
20389
dstewartsr 10/07/12 - 09:41 pm
Another sad sack moaning about editorials?

Jeez- tune in to any broadcast news channel, or if you must read newspapers, drop a dollar for a USA Today; you can get all the liberal koolaid you can stomach.

dstewartsr
20389
dstewartsr 10/07/12 - 09:47 pm
Why can the school honchos do

.. whatever they want? 'Cause they're in charge ... and you? You pay your taxes and shut up. And don't bring up any (filtered word) charter schools where their rule by ukase won't extend.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 10/08/12 - 12:57 am
#7

Look up editorial.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 10/08/12 - 01:01 am
Mam, I'm sorry that the taxes

Mam', I'm sorry that the taxes are painful for you, they are for me too. However, that is the way the system works; education of our children benefits all, so we all pay even though our children are through school.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 10/08/12 - 01:05 am
Taxpayers vote?

Then everyone votes, because everyone pays taxes of one sort or another. There is 15% + embedded tax in everything you purchase.

I ALMOST wish that we had to pass some kind of civics test to vote though. A large number of Americans are political illiterates.

rebellious
20630
rebellious 10/08/12 - 03:05 am
if Your Child is Bullied

You jump up and down, then demand to see everyone from the bus driver all the way to Dr. Roberson to make it stop and the offended removed. You get permission to ride the bus with a video camera. Oh and while there, you pull the little offender real close so only you and he can hear.... Then you tell him how much you love him. And how much your child's safety means to you. And how you would just go bonkers and write on public walls with a magic marker if anything like bullying continued. Then you find out where he lives.... I think you get the picture. Come on you TSDs.

Frankly, I am old school and I only had one of my kids bullied. We watched an episode of Andy Griffin where Opie kept loosin his lunch money to a bully. Then Opie "tore into him like a windmill in March" or something like that. My kid took care of the problem, and if i remember correctly walked in very proudly that night to tell me it was taken care of. I know this isn't politically correct, but so be it. In fact a Little League coach berated one of mine who was on the mound. I calmly called the coach to the end of the dugout and told him I would (censored words..not really but fill in the blank) if he ever did that again. Coach was twice my size, but he looked me in the eye and said "OK". He never did it again.

Sometimes you gotta grow a backbone and stand up for yourself and yours. Dang where is the Hutspa in America.

Trouble
Trouble 10/08/12 - 04:46 am
rebel

on order to have hutspa, you must have pride, and if you look around, there is a huge lack of pride in America these days, most of this country is too busy freeloading and apologizing to have any pride left, it is a rare trait in people these days.

seenitB4
seenitB4 10/08/12 - 05:48 am
Can't sleep can yee..

rebel said....

Well I'm waiting for that too.....in politics---Sheriffs race...school system.....we need some Hutspa.....run for office rebel & give it t us...

Trouble
Trouble 10/08/12 - 06:00 am
morning seenit

rebel could run for office, but he scare off 90% of his voting base with all his hutspa............

Jane18
Jane18 10/08/12 - 06:06 am
My Views

Hey AC, this reader likes those Republican slanted and logical viewpoints! And I agree with the last R&R!

seenitB4
seenitB4 10/08/12 - 06:13 am
Good am trouble

I think some need a good scare.....he would shake things up.......lordy ...that is what South Augusta needs...a good dang shaking...

seenitB4
seenitB4 10/08/12 - 06:28 am
Same news..?

I feel like this news is the same as 3 days ago...is it me.....this coffee..

seenitB4
seenitB4 10/08/12 - 06:40 am
Some history about our mountains

CARVING THE MOUNTAINS:

At the time they formed, the Appalachians were much higher than they are today -- more like the present-day Rocky Mountains. While the Atlantic Ocean was still in its infancy, the Appalachians were already being attacked by erosion. For the last 100 million years, erosion has carved away the mountains, leaving only their cores standing. Erosion continues today and is constantly altering the landscape of the Southern Appalachians.

seenitB4
seenitB4 10/08/12 - 06:56 am
1st rant

Now come on...do you know what good company a dog can be.....pick up one of those dogs & give him a good home.....they will laugh at your jokes.....never get bored withya....try to protect ya.....won't get mad when you are in a bad mood......just downright good company....some are dang smart too....smarter than people....I wish I could put some dog pics on here...you would love them..especially the cussing dogs...hahahah..(mild cuss words)

dstewartsr
20389
dstewartsr 10/08/12 - 08:01 am
Re: Dang where is the Hutspa in America

Gone. Chutzpah is way too expensive. If your child fights back against the bullies, your child will be the one punished. Those juvenile court judges everyone was so pleased have been recently appointed with will side with the FFA (future felons of America) every time. While everyone --victim or perp-- gets suspended or in-school, the FFA's really don't care. It hurts the one actually wanting an education, the victim. The whole punishment is like Dean Wormer's double secret probation, and less effective. That's why my earlier advice to the parent whose child was being bullied: move.

saltine
saltine 10/08/12 - 09:18 am
saltine

If your child were to be at the mall and this happened,What would you do ?Call 9-1-1- make a CASE against the offender( anything that comes to mind) ,stand your ground,and protect your child.And bulling is "racist"

Retired Army
Retired Army 10/08/12 - 09:11 am
"THE ONLY CITIZENS who should

"THE ONLY CITIZENS who should be allowed to vote are ones who pay taxes. All others are parasites."

So, name a single voting eligible adult in the US who doesn't pay taxes. Just one would do.

This convinces me of a few things about the Chronicle editorial staff. Either the rants sent in are so few that they must be used as filler, the folks who choose to print such stupid stuff don't really read them before they are printed or the ACES really thinks it's readers are plain ignorant. My bet? All three.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 10/08/12 - 09:43 am
Erosion

You would think the Rockies would erode just as fast as the Appalachians. Why not? If the earth started in the Big Bang, isn't everything the same age?

Riverman1
Riverman1 10/08/12 - 09:51 am
...and know when to fold um

When I was a kid I was finally fed up with a bully and tried that strategy of confronting him. It would be nice to report a warm and fuzzy tale here, but Harry was bad and he picked on everyone. It was said his daddy was in the state prison up the highway in Columbia. We never saw him in any case. Harry had been “socially promoted” about 10 times in grammar school and was about 27 years old in the seventh grade. He was just mean. Well, I tried and he popped me hard in the nose and blood went everywhere, including over him. My life’s lessons learned. Bullies really do want to fight and can usually beat ya. Insert Kenny Rogers song lyrics…Know when to hold um and know when to fold um.

Riverman1
Riverman1 10/08/12 - 09:59 am
Now y'all got me worrying

Now y'all got me worrying about the Appalachian Mts being eroded down to nothing. I wonder if it will happen before the sun goes super nova and burns us all to dry bacon skins?

harley_52
harley_52 10/08/12 - 09:59 am
Anybody Know How...

....to get a "Save The "A"" yard sign?

Riverman1
Riverman1 10/08/12 - 10:00 am
Harley, if you see someone

Harley, if you see someone who has more than one in front of his house, feel free to take one. Tell them Riverman said they should share um if they say anything.

harley_52
harley_52 10/08/12 - 10:02 am
Okay, But....

....I may be reporting back with another "bully" story.....

harley_52
harley_52 10/08/12 - 10:09 am
"So, name a single voting eligible adult in the US...

....who doesn't pay taxes. Just one would do."

Me.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 10/08/12 - 10:13 am
Yup River, the bullies I grew

Yup River, the bullies I grew up around would back it up. Tommy Redfern and Billy Brown were sitting at the Dairylane one Sunday afternoon yapping at people cruising through. Nobody would yap back to get a fight started, so they got out of the car and fought each other. Just pure mean...
True story, as I witnessed it myself.

Riverman1
Riverman1 10/08/12 - 10:13 am
About the 85 year old in

About the 85 year old in Columbia Cty who had to pay a little school tax, I thought in Columbia Cty all school taxes were dropped when you reached 70 years old?

Riverman1
Riverman1 10/08/12 - 10:28 am
Isanotherday, yep, those

Isanotherday, yep, those drive-ins where the bad guys hung out looking for fights. I saw so many fights in those places. Cool cars, too. The toughest guy in our town who hung out at the drive-in later was charged with murder. He was working as an enforcer for a video games (that paid off in cash) honcho and killed a store owner who didn't pay-up his share.

happychimer
happychimer 10/08/12 - 10:43 am
to the last ranter. I have a

to the last ranter. I have a 95 year old uncle in a VA nursing home who was a P.O.W. in World War2. He certainly is not a parasite. You need to clean your filthy mouth out.

Karen Slater-McDaniel
Karen Slater-McDaniel 10/08/12 - 10:44 am
You have to file for

You have to file for homestead exemption in order to stop paying the school portion of taxes on your property.

Columbia County:

HOMESTEAD EXEMPTION DOCUMENTS
Documents Required with Homestead Exemption Application
Depending upon which application is completed, one or more of the following items shall be required:
Valid Georgia Driver's License with current residence address
Proof of Motor Vehicle registration in Columbia County (registration card)
Proof of age (Driver's License, State ID, and/or Birth Certificate)
Recorded Warranty Deed
Income Statements (Copy of GA & Federal tax returns for 2011)
Physician Affidavits
Retirement or disability records
Trust documents (If property is in a Trust)

You Should Know:
You must apply no later than April 15th of the current year to receive a tax benefit for the same year
All motor vehicles should be registered in Columbia County
Any change to deed; for example. refinancing will necessitate a new application
Income changes must be updated

Local School - Age 70 - No Income Limit
(L6) - Local Senior Citizen School Tax Exemption. Homeowners who are 70 years of age, or older, on or before January 1 of the year in which application for exemption is made, can apply for the homestead exemption from Columbia County School ad valorem taxes, including taxes to pay interest on and to retire school bonded indebtedness. This exemption automatically renews each year as long as no deed changes occur. Proof of date of birth is required (HB 1735).