U.S. Rep Paul Broun calls evolution lie 'from the pit of hell'

Saturday, Oct. 6, 2012 4:07 PM
Last updated 6:50 PM

ATHENS, Ga. — U.S. Rep. Paul Broun said in videotaped remarks that evolution, embryology and the Big Bang theory are “lies straight from the pit of hell” meant to convince people that they do not need a savior.

U.S. Rep. Paul Broun  FILE/ASSOCIATED PRESS
FILE/ASSOCIATED PRESS
U.S. Rep. Paul Broun

The Georgia Republican lawmaker made those comments during a speech Sept. 27 at a sportsman’s banquet at Liberty Baptist Church in Hartwell. Broun, a medical doctor who represents Georgia’s 10th Congressional District, is running for re-election in November unopposed by Democrats.

“God’s Word is true,” Broun said, according to a video posted on the church’s Web site. “I’ve come to understand that. All that stuff I was taught about evolution and embryology and Big Bang theory, all that is lies straight from the pit of hell. And it’s lies to try to keep me and all the folks who are taught that from understanding that they need a savior.”

Broun also said that he believes the Earth is about 9,000 years old and that it was made in six days. Those beliefs are held by fundamentalist Christians who believe the creation accounts in the Bible are literally true.

Broun spokeswoman Meredith Griffanti told the Athens Banner-Herald that the congressman, whose district includes part of Columbia County, was recorded speaking off-the-record to a church group about his religious beliefs. He sits on the House Committee on Science, Space and Technology.

It seems unlikely that Broun’s remarks were supposed to be private. The banquet was advertised; Broun spoke before an audience; and the video of his remarks was posted on the church’s Web site.

OJP
OJP 10/06/12 - 03:52 pm
Embarrassing

No one with this level of ignorance should attempt to serve the public good. At a minimum he needs to resign from the House Science Committee.

TParty
TParty 10/06/12 - 04:02 pm
Just remember folks- this guy

Just remember folks- this guy is making policy, while we pay him an awesome salary, with the best benefits and perks. This guy is a functioning retard.

scgator
scgator 10/06/12 - 04:20 pm
Even the Apostle Paul said,

Even the Apostle Paul said, "Am I therefore become thine enemy, because I tell you the truth?" Why is it, that with the liberals, politicians are commended for supporting ANY religion EXCEPT Christianity? Oh yeh, Christianity is the ONLY one with a REAL LIVING GOD, and the liberals cannot stand the mere thought that they may have to answer to HIM.

Way to go Mr. Broun !!!!

OJP
OJP 10/06/12 - 04:30 pm
@scgator

Sorry, if you state that the planet is only 9,000 years old, you are not stating truth.

This is not a liberal or conservative thing. It's not a political thing. It's science.

What's even more shameful here is that Dr. Broun knows better. He's either pandering or has decided to be ignorant.

TParty
TParty 10/06/12 - 04:40 pm
Ha! The good thing about

Ha! The good thing about facts, it doesn't matter what political party you assign yourself too. And this is why the right has such a bad rap right now- calling conservatives liberals for understanding the age of the earth is much greater than 9,000 years old- and the folks from the Peiligang culture can confirm that...

crkgrdn
crkgrdn 10/06/12 - 05:42 pm
Don't forget, evolution is a theory

When is the last time that you learned that scientists had discovered a recently evolved species? What is reported is variation over time.

So, who is ignorant, the evolutionist or the observer of nature?

myfather15
myfather15 10/06/12 - 05:48 pm
@scgater;

Because when you support "other religions" a liberal considers you diversified. But when you support Christianity or Israel, your a racist, homophobe, bigot, unintelligent and shallow. Its goes along with the line Mr. Broun stated "It's straight from the pits of Hell." I would rather say Satan though. Hell is a place, Satan is the being that created the rebellion against God.

OJP
OJP 10/06/12 - 05:53 pm
@crkgrdn

The definition of a scientific theory probably doesn't mean what you think it means. It is no insult to the Theory of Evolution to call it "just a theory".

It is supported by more empirical data than just about any scientific theory.

myfather15
myfather15 10/06/12 - 06:23 pm
Evolution is crap, just like

Evolution is crap, just like global warming. Global warming is just another theory designed to reduce peoples faith in God. How can you believe in God and believe the earth shall be destroyed by mans hands? YOU CAN'T!! It subconsciously reduces peoples faith.

On the other hand, I firmly disagree with Mr. Broun about how old the earth is and how long it took God to create it. People like him easily forget that in Peter its states One day to God is as 1000 years and 1000 years as one day. So did God created the earth in 6 days (which doesn't sound right) or 6000 years???

Absolutely NOWHERE in the Bible does it say God created the earth 6000 or 9000 years ago and it IS ignorant to claim that. Once again, this is man trying to "figure" things out and put their input and OPINION into the equation. God routinely speaks of the "Former things" and an age of time that was before this dispensation of time. Christ mentioned it in His own prayer in John 17. Pay attention to verse 5, where it says "before the world was". Ephesians Chapt 1:4 He has choosen us before the foundations of the world. When the Bible speaks of this, its talking about the same dispensation of time as when Satan's rebellion occurred and 1/3 of God's children followed Satan. This is why we are here in this flesh age to begin with.

I've said before and will say again; If you don't realize their was a dispensation of time before Adam and Eve, I don't see how you understand much about the Bible. The Bible and science DO NOT contradict one another, they affirm one another. Pay attention to what God says, not what MAN says about God. If Mr. Broun can show me where God stated he created this earth 9000 years ago, I will eat my own words and never post on here again. He and no other MAN can show that, its their words.

Just like some idiot trying to predict when Christ shal return, when in Christ's own words "No man knoweth the day or hour, only the Father." These people actually hurt the TRUTH of God's word, more than they help. If you just teach the TRUTH of God's word, no matter how unpopular, it works itself out. Yes, people will reject it, as God has forwarned us. But it's still God's truth and needs to be taught as such. When people like Mr. Broun spout their OPINIONS instead of truth, they are actually contributing to Satan's plan. They are causing confusion. Because any human being with an ounce of common sense, knows this earth is more than 6 or 9 thousands years old. Satan is referred to in the Bible as the King of Babylon. Babylon in the ancient Hebrew means confusion. So Satan is the King of Confusion. Its his main weapon to deceive people. Confuse the people and they won't know which side to stand on. Babylon is the root of our word Babble. How many people can fully understand a baby when they Babble? Yeah, its cute, but I assure you, you won't be able to carry on an intelligent conversation with someone who is just babbling. God is not the author of Confusion but of Truth and Salvation!!

happychimer
19384
happychimer 10/06/12 - 06:06 pm
Broun can't be trusted. I

Broun can't be trusted. I don't like him at all. I don't listen to anything he has to say.

FAIR TAX Now
FAIR TAX Now 10/06/12 - 06:13 pm
Broun is my Congressman and I couldn't be happier

Beliefs like this is what makes me proud to call Congressman Broun my Congressman and to vote for him every two years. And as long as he has these beliefs he will keep getting voted back in. Sorry liberals, this district is Conservative (Pure RED) as it gets and that isn't going to change anytime soon. If you don't like it move to Atlanta, New York, or California, cause rural Georgia is RED and here to stay.

thauch12
thauch12 10/06/12 - 06:38 pm
Theories...

As far as evolution merely being a "theory," gravity is technically only a theory too. Noone is forcing you to believe in it either, but if you don't believe it I suggest you test the theory by jumping off a cliff.

The bigger issue is that this comes from a medical doctor, a man of science. Looking past the fact that the theory of evolution has tons of evidence behind it, the real shocking thing is that Mr. (in my eyes, he is no longer a legitimate doctor) Broun chooses to disawow embryology. While it may not be a mainstream buzzword like evolution, this science is at the very basis of what he makes his livelihood on as an obstetrician.

This is not a Republican/Democrat, liberal/conservative, Christian/athiest argument. This is a matter of facts and (or in this case, the lack thereof) and it is most unfortunate that men like Ray Comfort (the man who wrote and distributed a special "introduction" to Darwin's book filled with scientific fallacies) and Paul Broun feel the need to misrepresent and, in certain cases, tell outright lies in order to further their own selfish goals. In Comfort's case, it is to grow his following. For Broun, it is a matter of pandering for votes.

TParty
TParty 10/06/12 - 06:48 pm
MyFather

I'm sorry man, but evolution is correct... the science is there.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 10/06/12 - 07:00 pm
This Is Why

my Grand Girl can't talk or study Dinosaurs in school. The earth is only 9000 years old.

OK, I will never accept the lying data of "Carbon Dating".

I'm never too old to learn. If it wasn't for all the comments above I would never realize that for 72 years my knowledge that I have known has been nothing but a lie.

Rogue25
Rogue25 10/06/12 - 09:11 pm
Just wondering

A medical doctor who does not believe in science? I can't but wonder where he keeps the leeches.

The beauty is that science does not require belief, it just is. Can any religion make the same claim?

dichotomy
dichotomy 10/06/12 - 07:05 pm
I AM a conservative but I am

I AM a conservative but I am a FISCAL conservative. People like Broun scare me as much as any liberal or religious fanatic of any persuasion.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 10/06/12 - 07:11 pm
To Think

that when I was a Roman Catholic altar boy for 7 years, never once did my priest tell me it was a sin to think about Dinosaurs.

Dear God, Please Forgive me, For I have Sinned

SemperParatus
SemperParatus 10/06/12 - 07:29 pm
Broun is...

...a piece of work. Am glad he no longer represents Augusta come January.

scoopdedoop64
scoopdedoop64 10/06/12 - 07:45 pm
Built Mature

When the Bible says that God made man and woman it did not say boy and girl. When God made the earth He made if fully mature and not something that had to mature on its own. Science works out find when you include God into the equation. I think Rep. Broun's comments were spot on and I applaud his boldness to tell the truth.

JohnRandolphHardisonCain
JohnRandolphHardisonCain 10/06/12 - 08:20 pm
I'm filing this under Those

I'm filing this under Those WACKO Georgia Republican politicians. BTW, it took the religious authorities about 400 years to apologize to Galileo for using science to deduce that the Earth revolves around the Sun. He got locked up for refusing to recant his "theory". As George Carlin cautioned, "Careful. If you think too much they'll take you away."

OpenCurtain
OpenCurtain 10/06/12 - 09:03 pm
Find Me

the missing link to the THEORY of human evolution. I would caution everyone to remember until then, it is a theory and not a fact.

However, as mankind's understands grows of the past and more is learned of the past, we read the bible with a better and clearer understanding.

Everyone would be wise to question if GOD can be pigeon holed and described by the limited understanding of mere mortals, as too many have tried and failed miserably to accomplish.

Do you want to better understand the bible from a factual stand point? There are plenty of well researched books that tie Bible sections to historical facts. One of the best comes from a well known writer: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asimov%27s_Guide_to_the_Bible

It strengthen my faith in GOD and the Bible, by proving a direct correlation between the bible and the scientific community and documented history over and over.

Sandyone
Sandyone 10/06/12 - 08:45 pm
U.S. Reputation at stake

It's really a shame but except perhaps for the Vatican, the new zealot driven GOP is making the United States the laughing stock of the world.How could any world leader take us seriously?

JohnRandolphHardisonCain
JohnRandolphHardisonCain 10/06/12 - 09:02 pm
I understand the deep need

I understand the deep need most people have for a spiritual connection. What I don't understand is why that understanding has to be fixed in Piaget's stage of concrete thinking of young children. If God is infinite, He cannot be put in a box, and abstract thoughts are as valid as concrete ones. The idea that the Bible is the inerrant, literal world of God is ridiculous. Both the Old and New Testaments were written by humans and have been proved so by scholars. Modern humans evolved over the last 40,000 to 80,000 years - long before the Old Testament was written. Open minded religious people understand this, are not constrained by close minded dogma, and know the seeds of spiritual awakening stretch back far into prehistory.

scoopdedoop64
scoopdedoop64 10/06/12 - 09:11 pm
Why should we care if they laugh

Sandy, why should we care if people laugh at us if it is true. The Bible says that the wisdom of God is foolishness to man. You can't understand God anymore than a little child can understand why he shouldn't eat poison for desert. The only way to understand God is to take Him at His Word by faith and believe in Him then you become a new person able to understand so much more. Why should I care if people on earth laugh at me? When Jesus comes again: will they be laughing then? If we are right to believe in Jesus and I believe we are will they be laughing when in hell they realize that God did create this world and that they rejected the forgiveness that His son, Jesus, offered them? I think not. I won't be laughing because people are in hell but neither will they be laughing at Christians anymore when they see how foolish they have been.

Terry Williams WV
Terry Williams WV 10/06/12 - 09:23 pm
Choose: Everything from Nothing or Everything from a Creator

I choose our Creator, as His "Word" is the Final Authority and Foundation for All Knowledge!

“In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. The same was in the beginning with God. All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made. In him was life; and the life was the light of men” (John 1:1–4).

myfather15
myfather15 10/06/12 - 09:33 pm
@Sandyone

Oooooh, you've absolutely right. We are the laughing stock of the world. Iran, Syria, Turkey, they all are just sitting over there laughing their jihadist hearts out. WE are the Best Country on EARTH, who cares what they think, besides one worldists like yourself.

Fundamental_Arminian
Fundamental_Arminian 10/06/12 - 09:35 pm
Dr. Broun is right

I'm sad that his district no longer includes my property. He's been a great representative; and as a medical doctor, he knows the difference between science and unprovable theories. His estimate of the earth's age jibes with estimates based on genealogies in the Bible.

Dichotomy has said, "Anyone who would say the earth is only 9000 years old has no business making decisions about funding education because he is as much a zealot as the ayotolah." Actually, Dr. Broun has done a good job of discerning what is or isn't science and what can or can't be proved. This kind of discernment is ideal for deciding what should or should not be funded by our tax dollars. At the same time, Dr. Broun's Christian demeanor is nothing like the behavior of the ayotolah. It's ridiculous to liken Dr. Broun to the ayotolah, but then it's also ridiculous to think our complex universe came into being without the aid of an intelligent Creator.

willie7
willie7 10/06/12 - 09:54 pm
I am shame he has represented

I am shame he has represented me in Congress.
When are we in the South going to wake up?We are the laughing stock of our nation.

JohnRandolphHardisonCain
JohnRandolphHardisonCain 10/06/12 - 09:56 pm
Google: WHO WROTE THE TORAH?

Google: WHO WROTE THE TORAH?

AugustaProf
AugustaProf 10/06/12 - 10:24 pm
Variation?

@crkgrdn, do you think the thousands of species of bacteria that have evolved resistance to almost every known form of antibiotic just over the past century simply represents "variation?" Perhaps you do, but "Doctor" Braun certainly can't. Or at least can't and still be credible. Medical science is still science and a scientist cannot deny fact and still be considered a scientist.

Scientists have OBSERVED countless examples of evolution (genetic mutation and natural selection to favor the successful mutations). And it's not just "simple" organisms like bacteria. See for example the Peppered Moth (observed in the wild) or any number of fruit fly lab experiments.

That evolution of species occurs is fact. Occasional mutation is simply a byproduct of DNA/RNA replication and natural selection of superior traits (e.g., an immunity to poison) a byproduct of living long enough to reproduce and thus pass on the mutation.

That Darwinian evolution by itself is sufficient to explain the existence of complex life on Earth IS theory. But one STRONGLY supported by evidence both current and in the fossil record. Remember that just because you don't see successful mutations every day or even every generation means little when you consider that the Earth is 4.5 billion years old and the universe (if you subscribe to DNA seeding theories) almost 14 billion years old.

Now if folks want to put forth alternative theories as to the ORIGIN of life (i.e., the origin of RNA and the enzymes required for replication), then that is still very much in the realm of theory. And the dominant theory that evolution is sufficient to explain complex life is often attacked by those in the intelligent design camp. I certainly don't attend that camp, but I do consider it fair game. But observing actual evolution in effect and calling it "variation" is simply no longer reasonable.