Rants & Raves

Comments from readers:

POLITICS CAN BE a lot like driving. Push “R” for backward or “D” for forward.

AUGUSTA STATE University called to ask me to give them money because I am an alum. I can promise you this, until this GRU thing is gone, preferably taking Azziz with it, I will not contribute even 1 cent to that school. I hope everyone else stands up and does the same.

RAVE TO THE staff at Dr. Thielkes’ office who helped me when my battery died.

EVERY TIME THAT I submitted a rant against Lee Anderson, The Chronicle did not print it. Lee Anderson is no more a politician than I am.

SINCE EVERYONE involved in the selection of the “Georgia Regents” name knew ahead of time that they would probably be facing a lawsuit if this was selected, I assume that the Board of Regents, Dr. Azziz and everyone else involved in this selection, which, by the way, the majority of people in Augusta and surrounding areas did not want, will pay all expenses for this lawsuit, not the taxpayers in Augusta.

HERE IS A RANT to those who still want to fight about the new name for GHSU. Get over it. Yes, Augusta is known nationally, but except for golf not always in the most positive light. GHSU is bigger and hopefully better than Augusta. Let’s move forward.

I WOULD LIKE TO GIVE a big rave to Russ Boyd and his wife for coming to the rescue of three women after the Just Give Me Jesus event. They went out of their way to fix our flat tire and make sure we were able to drive home.

THE DEMOCRATS MUST really be embarrassed every time Romney releases his tax records. Romney gave $4 million to charities last year. Joe Biden gave $350. One year, Bill Clinton deducted underwear that he had donated to Goodwill. Democrats love to be charitable with other people’s money, but not their own.

A RANT REGARDING the new gate hours at Fort Gordon Gate 5. There are many soldiers and retirees living outside Gate 5 who might need to utilize the post hospital during the night. To travel downtown would be too time-consuming during a true emergency, and traveling around to Gate 1 would also be time-consuming.

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 10/05/12 - 10:11 am
Grasping at straws

Did anybody else hear Owl Gores' reason the Emperor did so badly in the debate. It was the altitude. Mitt Romney practiced for the debate in Denver while the Emperor arrived a few hours before the debate. And Denver is at 5000 feet in elevation.

I guess the Emperor should give up flying in AF-1. God forbid the Emperor have to make a crucial decision at 50,000 feet.... or has that been the problem all along???

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 10/05/12 - 10:09 am
And don't forget

Thank a LEO today.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 10/05/12 - 10:14 am
Gate 5

The whining about Gate 5 being open for shorter hours than before is unbecoming a soldier or a military retiree. Follow orders, soldier, and stop whining.

maryhamm
maryhamm 10/05/12 - 10:32 am
Presidential Race

The Romney/Ryan duo is a farce to women. This is the best the Republican Party has to offer. Please.

Riverman1
Riverman1 10/05/12 - 10:35 am
LL, voicing complaints about

LL, voicing complaints about a gate closing is not exactly like disobeying an order to charge up Pork Chop Hill or something.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 10/05/12 - 11:12 am
Time-consuming

I would think that a true soldier would be accustomed to time-consuming. Wasn't it the army who invented the term "hurry up and wait"?

Riverman1
Riverman1 10/05/12 - 02:48 pm
Soldiers hurry up and

Soldiers hurry up and wait.....and COMPLAIN ABOUT EVERYTHING.

harley_52
harley_52 10/05/12 - 03:06 pm
It's Not About...

"whining." It's about combat readiness, wasting time, wasting fuel, traffic patterns, common sense, emergency medical care, and taking care of business. It's also about military families and re-enlistment.

I'm astonished at the decision and curious who made it.

I'll bet it's reversed.

dstewartsr
20389
dstewartsr 10/05/12 - 03:43 pm
How much?

... I spoke to a retired friend who has contacts at the PMO; he says it's about budget restraints for the DOD and contract security guards- and ain't about to get better soon. Says that's why MP's are now manning Gate 2.

AutumnLeaves
AutumnLeaves 10/05/12 - 03:46 pm
More burglaries...

Too many people I know and care about (black, white and other) are having their homes burglarized in Richmond County. Has there been a sudden increase? Two of those in the past week were in broad daylight. Please be careful going back into your homes; there may already be somebody in there.

countyman
19527
countyman 10/05/12 - 03:53 pm
I'm not going to discuss the

I'm not going to discuss the population debate any longer, because my numbers match the 2000 census, 2006 census estimate, and 2010 census...

2000 households: 73,920

2010: 76,924

Every single metro goes through a period of white flight, and the surrounding counties becoming the 'newer' area... Nobody is moving from the older parts of South Augusta(specifically white conservatives) in large numbers anymore.. The Hampton Inn hotel under construction on Gordon Hwy, Five Guys coming to Colony Plaza, Waffle House underway on Tobacco rd, completed renovations of the Bi-Lo's on Peach Orchard rd & Tobacco rd, renovation of Taco Bell on Peach Orchard, renovation of Mcdonalds on Tobacco rd, etc is proof...

I never said fast food places make a city, but the $172 million Starbucks, direct flights to DC, Augusta Regional Industrial Park/$7 million General Perry Smith Pkwy, Rural Sourcing 100 IT jobs in the CBD, Kroc Center, Village at Riverwatch, $115 million Rockwood plant, Sprint Food & Metro Market on Broad street, etc clearly do...

Riverman1
Riverman1 10/05/12 - 04:10 pm
Fort Gordon

The guards at the fort are going from private security to government employees. Why that would shut down numerous gates during certain hours is being explained as budget constraints.

What does it REALLY tell you. Private does it better? I have passed these armed guards often and can tell no difference. I actually asked one what was up and how he felt about it. He told me he was one of the NEW ones, the government ones. Duh me, but I could absolutely not tell the diff.

Riverman1
Riverman1 10/05/12 - 04:23 pm
Not To Take Away From Borderbash

ESPN is in Columbia today with David Pollack and the regular ESPN guy broadcasting right now, the day before. Students are already out there shouting. Inspiring and funny.

Riverman1
Riverman1 10/05/12 - 04:27 pm
Yall's Bi-Lo was renovated?

Yall's Bi-Lo was renovated? I'd be proud of that, too. Our Food Lion just closed down and left.

happychimer
happychimer 10/05/12 - 05:27 pm
Has anyone here been to the

Has anyone here been to the social security office lately and noticed that most of the people waiting are young people?

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 10/05/12 - 05:57 pm
Today is First Friday, Right

Haven't seen one word made about it?

KSL
KSL 10/05/12 - 06:45 pm
Happy, that is probably

Happy, that is probably because they are trying to get disability in lieu of a job. And there has plenty been said about the increasing numbers of people being added to disability roles, thereby taking them out of the unemployed numbers.

Volunteer
Volunteer 10/05/12 - 06:48 pm
Fort Gordon

When entering Fort Gordon from the South, and Gate 5 is closed, you have to travel North on Deans Bridge Rd to Bobby Jones, cut over to Gordon Highway and travel West to Gate 1. This adds a lot of time and distance to a trip to post facilities and to Eisenhower hospital in urgent situations.
People entering Fort Gordon from the East have Gates 1, 2 and 3 all within one-two miles of each other. Also, Gate 1 is closer to post facilities than gate 5.
This is not about funds availability; it is about fund allocation priorities. Southside residents don’t seem to be a priority when compared to the Eastside.
One way to impact this decision to close Gate 5 at night, is to go to the Fort Gordon Garrison web site and flood them with ICE (Interactive Customer Evaluation) comments. They don’t like a lot of negative ones.

harley_52
harley_52 10/05/12 - 08:05 pm
"What does it REALLY tell you...

.... Private does it better? I have passed these armed guards often and can tell no difference."

Contract MPs are not unlike contract doctors. They often do a great job. As you observed, sometimes you really can't tell a difference. But, there is one. It's a big one. They don't go to war.

They're cheaper than active duty MPs too, when you consider all the direct and indirect costs. Sometimes they're necessary too, like when the active duty MPs are all deployed, or when force structure changes reduce the active duty force to levels below that necessary for all the MP requirements, but again....what happens when "the balloon goes up" as they used to say?

As for the budget excuse, everything is a trade off. It's all a matter of prioritization. I'll say it again....I'll bet the decision gets reversed.

It should...

harley_52
harley_52 10/05/12 - 07:44 pm
Volunteer....

...nailed it.

seenitB4
seenitB4 10/05/12 - 08:12 pm
Haha

A couple was Christmas shopping at the mall on Christmas Eve and the mall was packed. As the wife walked through the mall she was surprised to look up and see her husband was nowhere around. She was quite upset because they had a lot to do.

Because she was so worried, she called him on her mobile phone to ask him where he was.

In a calm voice, the husband said, "Honey, you remember the jewelry store we went into about 5 years ago where you fell in love with that diamond necklace that we could not afford and I told you that I would get it for you one day?"

The wife choked up and started to cry and said, "Yes, I remember that jewelry store.”

He said, "Well, I'm in the bar right next to it."

rebellious
20506
rebellious 10/05/12 - 09:33 pm
Countyman

Can I take you at your word you will never mention the census again? Well Can I?

Riverman, If County doesnt mention it again, will you agree?

If so, I can breath a big sigh of releif, cause my eyes cross when you two get at it over statistics.

Check the pudding, cause that's where the proof is, or so they say.

rebellious
20506
rebellious 10/05/12 - 09:36 pm
Hey Vol

Fort Gordon splits South Augusta apart from Columbia County. If not, the demographics of this area are shifted beyond imagination. And ideas to do a Ft Gordon overpass have been looked at, but 9-11 really sealed that deal.

Riverman1
Riverman1 10/06/12 - 11:03 am
I worry about the AC staff

When new R and R's don't get put up, I worry if the AC workers are having trouble. Everything ok?

Riverman1
Riverman1 10/06/12 - 11:26 am
Geez, Reb, you are going to

Geez, Reb, you are going to force me into an unGodly alliance with Countyman. Us against the world, throwing stats around like the Commission throws money at the TEE Center. The fans throwing stuff at their monitors like it’s the Braves game.

Willow Bailey
20580
Willow Bailey 10/06/12 - 03:28 pm
Jtf, absolutely no one

Jtf, absolutely no one commented on several articles written on the Ryder Cup except for me. Amazing. In a golf town.

Willow Bailey
20580
Willow Bailey 10/06/12 - 03:34 pm
Did all of you receive your

Did all of you receive your invitation to the GRU Monster Bash? Costumes recommended. Guess Ric will be wearing a mask this year

Willow Bailey
20580
Willow Bailey 10/06/12 - 03:44 pm
Hello MaryHamm, You think

Hello MaryHamm,
You think when someone/something isn't " the best" the solution is acceptance of "the worst"?

Reelecting Obama, is akin to living in abuse because you already know your abuser. Sick, sick stuff.

Willow Bailey
20580
Willow Bailey 10/06/12 - 03:48 pm
Now that's progress

Way to go countyman! Give it up baby, cause nobody's buying it.

Willow Bailey
20580
Willow Bailey 10/06/12 - 03:52 pm
Happy, likely trying to

Happy, likely trying to apply for disability. That's the new thing; everybody who fried their brains on drugs mow wants us to pay them for it. Sure they all have Obamaphones sand Obamacare and soon Obamability.