Rants & Raves

Comments from readers:

SOME SAY IT IS only a name and tell us to move on. But imagine if the South Carolina Board of Regents decided to rename Clemson University as South Carolina Regents University? Or Auburn was renamed Alabama Regents University? As a graduate of Augusta College, I feel I have lost all connection to my school.

BIG RANT FOR The Chronicle. You failed to recognize Augusta Christian as being No. 2 in the S.C. Independent High School rankings, but you mentioned all of the other schools in the area. The Augusta Christian football team is one of the strongest teams in the area. Please give them more coverage.

I WANT TO THANK the two young ladies at the Murphy gas station in the Grovetown Walmart who assisted an older lady who had a reaction to a new medication. They drove me home in my own car, and I really appreciate their concern and their care.

RANT FOR Ricardo Azziz. The citizens of Augusta do not want you here in our fair city. We hear Florida is lovely this time of year. Go.

RANTS TO THE driver for Columbia County transit who has his radio up so loud in the morning. That’s not good for the customers. He doesn’t need to push Rush Limbaugh on people. Old people don’t want to hear that.

IT IS WRONG for rich people to have contempt for poor people, but it is perfectly fine for poor people to have contempt for rich people?

TO THE PERSON WHO complained about the Georgia Power bill. I have Jefferson Electric, and I would give anything to trade places with them.

SINCE WHEN DO Richmond County and Columbia County police officers not have to do the speed limit? Lately around town in both counties where the speed limit is clearly marked I’ve seen those Columbia and Richmond County police officers doing at least 10-15 miles over the limit.

WHERE ON EARTH ARE those people getting those American flags to burn? Jay Leno had this right as a question: Maybe the flags were made in China.

ONCE IT BECOMES Georgia Regents University, the only top administrator who was not previously part of MCG will be the athletic director because at Azziz’s current university there was no need for an athletic director.

harley_52
harley_52 10/04/12 - 12:10 pm
"....from your mouth to God's ears."

Willow....Does God have ears? If yes, does she wear earrings? :)

Riverman1
Riverman1 10/04/12 - 12:38 pm
JTF, Braves to Start 15 Year Old Pitcher

Who would have thought the Braves would start a 15 year old, 5ft 2 in, right hander in the most imporant game of the year? If you had told me Kris Medlen would be the starter in the first playoff game a few months ago, I'd have laughed. Love it.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 10/04/12 - 12:55 pm
5 foot 2

Since he's short, he can probably hum them in there right at the knees.

TannerManor
TannerManor 10/04/12 - 01:24 pm
I think Obama had one of

I think Obama had one of those pull-strings in his back and everytime he spoke, some random talking point came out. Some of his reponses didn't seem to match up with the question he was asked. He just babbled some numbers and phrases until the cord sucked back in. I think it even surprised HIM what was coming out, but he couldn't stop himself. Kinda' like a Speak-n-Spell that's skipped a track.

Lehrer: "President Obama, what is your plan to balance the budget?"

Obama: "The Duck says Moooooooo..."

justthefacts
justthefacts 10/04/12 - 01:29 pm
River

Can't wait. Medlin is some story. Cy Young if the Bravos had been smart enough to make him a starter from day 1. But, that's history now. Great weekend coming up. Dawgs, Braves, Falcons, golf. BTW, just had two northern americans here in Detroit tell me they wish the South had won the war (states rights).

Retired Army
Retired Army 10/04/12 - 01:32 pm
Should I listen to SOME of

Should I listen to SOME of the ranters on here, last nights debate was historic in that it was the first time two non-Christian candidates for President debated.

Fortunatley that ain't so. There was only one non-Christian.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 10/04/12 - 01:52 pm
Latter Day

I know many Baptists froth at the mouth and rail at Mormonism as a cult; but in most consolidations, Mormonism is considered a Christian denomination. So if there was only one non-Christian on the podium last night, it would have to be the one on the left - - - (wing, that is) - -

Karen Slater-McDaniel
Karen Slater-McDaniel 10/04/12 - 01:37 pm
Little Lamb said: #1 ... If

Little Lamb said: #1 ... If you are receiving food stamps, WIC, SSI, Medicaid, free school lunches, or AFDC; then you are not in the "middle class." If you ever want to see one mad white woman, come to my house the first week of school EVERY year when they make me fill out the stupid FREE or REDUCED lunch form!!! It makes me fume because I know it is a waste of time and ink on my part and because it is none of their damn business what our total household income is if I KNOW we do not qualify. This year I informed my husband that we would need to have SIXTEEN more children at least to even qualify for REDUCED lunch!!! That would mean we had 20 people living in our house (us and 18 children) ... I think NOT!

# 2 ...If you get a check from the government as a result of the Earned Income Tax Credit (i.e., if your credit is higher than your tax liability), then you are not in the "middle class." I have for years tried to figure out how to qualify for EIC ... even divorcing my husband wouldn't work! Lol

Riverman1
Riverman1 10/04/12 - 01:53 pm
JTF, being in Detroit must be

JTF, being in Detroit must be like being among the ruins of where an ancient city used to be. But, heck, while you're there run by American Jewelry and Loan...that's Hardcore Pawn on TV. Get me something.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 10/04/12 - 01:54 pm
Refuse

What can the school system do to you or your children if you refuse to fill out the reduced lunch price form? Will they bus them to a worse-performing school? Lower their grades? Make you be the president of the PTO?

:-)

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 10/04/12 - 02:00 pm
Guatemala

Karen posted:

You could travel down to Guatemala and start adopting.

:-)

Riverman1
Riverman1 10/04/12 - 02:16 pm
About Medlen

About Medlen. Maybe it's best they started him slowly in the bullpen. He and Stephen Strasberg had the same Tommy John surgery and the Nationals have shut him down right at play-off time.

Medlen started out the year only pitching a few innings and as his arm got stronger, he pitched more. He's ready to go far as the Braves do.

I mean Medlen is something. He looks just like a kid with that hat with the straight bill and acts like one. When they interview him, he is fidgety, talking nervously and appreciative. At the All Star break they were asking the players what they were going to do. Medlen said he was going to get a tattoo. Ha. How can you top that?

But this shouldn't be a surprise. Medlen was a terror on the mound in Triple A. They kept looking for reasons not to call him up because of his youth and small size. Tommy Hanson, his good friend from the minors, says he's learned a pitch or two from him.

I remember Medlen all alone last year in the dugout as his arm healed looking so sad as no one wanted to be around him. You know that legal necessity about players who have been hurt and to get their salary have to be in the dugout for every game kind of like Mike Hampton used to do. Medlen has to be comeback player of the year...at least.

Riverman1
Riverman1 10/04/12 - 02:15 pm
Try getting a call from the

Try getting a call from the school when they find your lunch money check in a library book because your son was too embarrassed to pay when no one else was paying.

Karen Slater-McDaniel
Karen Slater-McDaniel 10/04/12 - 02:16 pm
Haha L.L. ... I don't think

Haha L.L. ... I don't think so. I still have one at home that is in her last year of elementary school & this is my last year of having to pay for before & after care at school for her. Then there are the two grown kids who do not live at home. The oldest & youngest have never been much trouble ... the middle child made me understand why some mothers "eat their young" ... :)

Willow Bailey
20580
Willow Bailey 10/04/12 - 04:49 pm
Retired Army, if Obama was

Retired Army, if Obama was arrested for Christianity, there would not be enough evidence to convict him!

dstewartsr
20389
dstewartsr 10/04/12 - 02:42 pm
Free breakfasts

... had just started the last year of my son's primary school year. I know because he got in trouble (chip off the old block, there) when pressed by a teacher to go, he retorted, "No thanks. I've got parents who like me enough to feed me."

That flew like your basic cement balloon.

allhans
allhans 10/04/12 - 02:42 pm
My grandson sent (in VA)

My grandson sent (in VA) sent a message asking if Obamacare covers an "a-- whipping".

For those who like Romney-Ryan they will be aired LIVE on C Span at 6:45 today along with one of the country singers.

justthefacts
justthefacts 10/04/12 - 02:46 pm
Sorry River

No extra stops. Do what's neccessary and get the heck out!

dstewartsr
20389
dstewartsr 10/04/12 - 02:47 pm
"Does G-d have ears?"

... I'm pretty sure She does; and this is what's on Her iPod:

Karen Slater-McDaniel
Karen Slater-McDaniel 10/04/12 - 02:54 pm
Lol River ... Nope ... that

Lol River ... Nope ... that one never happened.

However, my son stole jeans out of the Goodwill box at his middle school that were about 4-5 sizes too big for him because we would not purchase nor allow him to wear the big ole baggy jeans halfway down his butt like all his friends did. He would go over to a friends house & change his clothes before school & change back before he came home. I went to his school for something during the day & saw him in those jeans & had him pulled out of class. I questioned him about who they belonged to & made him go in the restroom & change ... & tore his butt up when he got home from school that day!

Karen Slater-McDaniel
Karen Slater-McDaniel 10/04/12 - 03:01 pm
Amen dstewartsr ... we

Amen dstewartsr ... we fed/feed ours a hot breakfast (most of the time) before school just like my parents did.

Two of the three kids took their own lunch every day from home because they would only eat maybe one items off their lunch tray when they purchased meals from the lunchroom at school and would come home starving to death.

Our youngest takes a mid-morning snack (because they have a late lunch this year), she takes her lunch (which always has something hot) and she takes a snack for aftercare.

Riverman1
Riverman1 10/04/12 - 03:19 pm
KSM, that late lunch used to

KSM, that late lunch used to be bad. Remember that?

Willow Bailey
20580
Willow Bailey 10/04/12 - 03:25 pm
Harley, if we were betrothed,

Harley, if we were betrothed, that would get you sofa residency for a good three nights:( but, you could be like mine and pretend you are camping out on occasion:)

dstewartsr
20389
dstewartsr 10/04/12 - 06:47 pm
Miz Karen

... it was always a hot breakfast; all quick- sunnyside up and toast, french toast, pancakes, and very often (toward the end of the month) fired cornmeal mush. All topped with butter and biscuit syrup and a side of bacon or a LOT of venison sausage . These days, at the behest of the First Foodcop, I'd probably be hauled off for nutritional crimes against children.

They made their own lunches, which solved the problem of complaining about what was packed. School nights was always sit-down unless we all had some activity. BTW, anyone who says kids don't eat healthy food haven't met mine when they were growing up -- or their friends. Lots of soups, rice dishes, peas, and casseroles, and company who 'just happened' to be coming over to see one of them... always around dinnertime.

Karen Slater-McDaniel
Karen Slater-McDaniel 10/04/12 - 07:57 pm
Same here dstewartsr ... my

Same here dstewartsr ... my mother never worked outside our home so dinner was around 6pm every night AS A FAMILY ... and she made our plate & you didn't have to eat everything BUT you had to try everything. I only cried if I came home & smelled one of two things cooking ... cauliflower or beef stew. Lol ... I eat both now & I also eat every single vegetable with the exception of beets. :)

harley_52
harley_52 10/04/12 - 09:37 pm
Willow...

I was actually trying to be both complimentary and comical at the same time. Oh well....further proof that I'll never understand women. The couch wouldn't be any problem at all. Believe me, I've slept in worse places and managed to get along just fine.

seenitB4
seenitB4 10/05/12 - 06:28 am
Harley

heh heh...:)
You are right...I think it is my avg security kicking me out of the system...