Rants & Raves

Comments from readers:

SOME SAY IT IS only a name and tell us to move on. But imagine if the South Carolina Board of Regents decided to rename Clemson University as South Carolina Regents University? Or Auburn was renamed Alabama Regents University? As a graduate of Augusta College, I feel I have lost all connection to my school.

BIG RANT FOR The Chronicle. You failed to recognize Augusta Christian as being No. 2 in the S.C. Independent High School rankings, but you mentioned all of the other schools in the area. The Augusta Christian football team is one of the strongest teams in the area. Please give them more coverage.

I WANT TO THANK the two young ladies at the Murphy gas station in the Grovetown Walmart who assisted an older lady who had a reaction to a new medication. They drove me home in my own car, and I really appreciate their concern and their care.

RANT FOR Ricardo Azziz. The citizens of Augusta do not want you here in our fair city. We hear Florida is lovely this time of year. Go.

RANTS TO THE driver for Columbia County transit who has his radio up so loud in the morning. That’s not good for the customers. He doesn’t need to push Rush Limbaugh on people. Old people don’t want to hear that.

IT IS WRONG for rich people to have contempt for poor people, but it is perfectly fine for poor people to have contempt for rich people?

TO THE PERSON WHO complained about the Georgia Power bill. I have Jefferson Electric, and I would give anything to trade places with them.

SINCE WHEN DO Richmond County and Columbia County police officers not have to do the speed limit? Lately around town in both counties where the speed limit is clearly marked I’ve seen those Columbia and Richmond County police officers doing at least 10-15 miles over the limit.

WHERE ON EARTH ARE those people getting those American flags to burn? Jay Leno had this right as a question: Maybe the flags were made in China.

ONCE IT BECOMES Georgia Regents University, the only top administrator who was not previously part of MCG will be the athletic director because at Azziz’s current university there was no need for an athletic director.

harley_52
harley_52 10/04/12 - 07:12 am
"I can't stand Rush Limbaugh on low much less loud.....

....I think he's a hipocrite and a fat blow hard.
He's a very rich fat blow hard though.
By the way, HE AIN"T FUNNY even if he thinks he is.

Much like Zell Miller, but with nowhere near style, I don't think much of MSNBC's Chris Matthews. But I think it would say more about me, than him, if I publicly embarrassed myself by calling him a string names and hitting him with a series of childish insults without providing specific examples of why I hated him so.

seenitB4
seenitB4 10/04/12 - 07:17 am
harley....I used your advice again yesterday

I had to download AGAIN....I won't buy another toshiba .....no it can't be ME.....this thing has a mind of its own......just like MOST men....it dictates to me...:):)

Riverman1
Riverman1 10/04/12 - 07:18 am
CBS is calling it a "decisive

CBS is calling it a "decisive Romney victory" from their poll results. What got me was the Frank Luntz focus group on Fox. Luntz said it was the largest swing in a debate he's ever studied. Huge for Romney.

The next two debates should be interesting and I have no doubt President Obama will improve. But Romney simply has a vast knowledge that intimidates him somewhat. Obama doesn't know how to come back at him on specifics. He ends up quoting some general theme.

shrimp for breakfast
shrimp for breakfast 10/04/12 - 07:29 am
exactly Riverman !

Obama just starts talking in circles until he has me completely lost. I guess he figures if he just keeps words flowing out of his mouth then he must be explaining. Personally he could have been talking about football for all I could tell.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 10/04/12 - 07:29 am
Theme

Yeah, and Obama's theme is wealth envy and class warfare. It's the Das Capital playbook.

Did you notice how Romney uses the term "middle-income families" while Obama uses the term "middle class." This whole idea of classes came out of Medievel Europe, and then in the 1800s Marx and Engels refined it. Later Lenin exploited it.

But the United States is a country where we don't have classes. We have individuals. We need to quit putting impediments in front of individuals so that they can succeed or fail on their own merits.

seenitB4
seenitB4 10/04/12 - 07:35 am
About the get together

At the next one we will need more of this...

Ya got to get loose......free....grits won't get ya loose.....& also River will have to come up with another trick.....we will have to get spicy shrimp there also....I will call Rebel myself & remind him ....(he is playing with us).......where is RKill btw......& we might get the new Sheriff...Freddie da man.....of course KSM.....I wanta meet her hubby too.......he is funnnnie.
I like to shake things up....soooo many libs on here need to come....we need some spice in our punch..

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 10/04/12 - 07:42 am
Welfare

You know how Obama talks about how he is trying to help the middle class, but actually he is gutting it. How, you ask? Well, by increasing low-income entitlement programs.

It has been said that more people became eligible for food stamps from 2009 to date than at any other time in the history of the program.

If you are receiving food stamps, WIC, SSI, Medicaid, free school lunches, or AFDC; then you are not in the "middle class."

If you get a check from the government as a result of the Earned Income Tax Credit (i.e., if your credit is higher than your tax liability), then you are not in the "middle class."

Under Obama's policies, the middle class is shrinking while the lower class is expanding. People who used to be productive, middle-income, working citizens have fallen into poverty because Obama's policies produce poverty.

All of these various "stimuli" gimmicks will be coming home to roost in higher prices. That's what happens when you print money and pass it out. Higher prices for gas & diesel & food are just the tip of the iceberg. Serious inflation lies ahead as a result of Bernanke's money supply manipulations. That type of inflation will not bode well for the "middle class."

Riverman1
Riverman1 10/04/12 - 07:45 am
LL, when Romney threw out the

LL, when Romney threw out the increase in food stamps line, Obama smiled. I was sooooooo hoping he would say he was proud of that kind of giving evidence to Biden's (Bless his heart) remarks about the middle class being hurt the past four years.

seenitB4
seenitB4 10/04/12 - 07:47 am
Fixinto

My grandmamma said fixinto a lot......well I'm fixinto clean this dang house...company has gone.....so if I can get gob to help me some.....we could get through this cleaning in a few hours......
btw......the candidiates NEVER do what they say in the debates......pretty words.....floating in the air......when will we get that.

shrimp for breakfast
shrimp for breakfast 10/04/12 - 07:51 am
Seenit

When is the next get together?

seenitB4
seenitB4 10/04/12 - 07:55 am
Spicy

After the election maybe....we can either laugh or cry.....& drink...

gotta go....see yall later....

Willow Bailey
20605
Willow Bailey 10/04/12 - 09:50 am
Romney rocked. Did anyone

Romney rocked. Did anyone notice he, unlike Obama, actually knew the PURPOSE of GOVERNMENT? It was a defining moment for America!

Riverman1
Riverman1 10/04/12 - 08:04 am
CNBC: "There's Got to Be a Morning After"

Willow, CNBC is playing "There's Got to Be a Morning After." Stock futures are up in response to the debate. Love it.

YeCats
12073
YeCats 10/04/12 - 08:08 am
And I believe Romney has got

And I believe Romney has got to stay on "states rights". He is so right to claim Massachusetts Health CareAct. "Its what the people of Mass. wanted, and WE got it done for them" (my quotes).

Amendment 10 stuff. Expand that message. And, Gov. Romney would have me 1000%, if he would propose to radically reform our outdated tax code.

President Obama, although he didn't look sharp last night, will get back up. He has a solid base, and no amount of aloofness will deter his constitutes.

The Governor won round 1. He has to stay on the offensive. And careful on the gaffes, please! The truth will set us free.

shrimp for breakfast
shrimp for breakfast 10/04/12 - 08:10 am
Does anyone know

When the next debate is?

shrimp for breakfast
shrimp for breakfast 10/04/12 - 08:12 am
Seenit

Just as long as the get together is before December 21st 2012.
What with armegeddon going on and all it might be hard to find a restaurant open. hehehehe!!!

Willow Bailey
20605
Willow Bailey 10/04/12 - 08:12 am
That's great news, river.

That's great news, river. Romney will restore what's left if the voters will give him a chance. He will unite not divide us. He will promote and encourage families, small business and our military. He'll work with everyone to meet the needs and goals of a strong nation. Pray for our country every single day.

dichotomy
dichotomy 10/04/12 - 08:45 am
Romney slaughtered Obama. He

Romney slaughtered Obama. He knew the issues inside and out. My favorite was his rebuttle about the the $2.8 billion a year subsidies to the oil companies. Romney pointed out the Obama gave "green energy" $90 billion in subsidies in one year.......50 years worth of the subsidy we give small oil companies and drilling operations gone in one year. And most of Obama's green energy companies have already gone bankrupt. As Romney said about Obama picking winners and losers, "you pick the losers".

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 10/04/12 - 08:48 am
Good Morning America "33"

"DEPATE"
I have to give Governor Romney an A+ for his foreplay but I think he never got to a point of an Orgasm.

I wish the next two debates would band any use of Political Correctness and open the bomb bay doors and really let the bombs fall on the head of the King SMNCICBHO. That would be the deciding American Orgasm.

Sargebaby
Sargebaby 10/04/12 - 09:07 am
"I am getting Alzheimers's i

"I am getting Alzheimers's i think, but then I forget. i wanted to make the Grits Summit, and remebered as much at 11:00 a.m. I want something like that at Mia Ranchero. Maybe a hog roast. In the Mancave, Dangit you miss so much when the Ole mind starts to go."

The next Grits Summit will take place in March. Then, there is the outside chance that someone will plan another between now and then. Yesterday was a total success, and we only wish it could have lasted longer.

Sargebaby
Sargebaby 10/04/12 - 09:12 am
Sure will be happy to see the

Sure will be happy to see the election and all its trappings come to a close! Ninety percent of our news is politics! I'm craving some good news for a change!

jimmymac
jimmymac 10/04/12 - 09:41 am
Mitt Romney showed a command

Mitt Romney showed a command of his facts and made Obama look like stutterling little schoolboy. Obama is a decent guy in way over his head and finally had to stand up against someone on the top of his game and he's not up to the challenge.

KSL
KSL 10/04/12 - 09:56 am
Ranter #1

South Carolina doesn't have A Board of Regents. They have the Higher Education Commission.

Willow Bailey
20605
Willow Bailey 10/04/12 - 09:58 am
Lost, he is, without his

Lost, he is, without his telepromter and his socialist cronies pulling his puppet strings. Did you see his facial expressions, all smirks and snickering? Totally consistent with narcissist behavior. And completely clueless about how to get the economy back on it's feet, protect the middle income families and keep America safe. He is the enemy of every American citizen whether or not they have eyes to see or ears to hear.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 10/04/12 - 10:03 am
Correction from KSL

Thanks, KSL. I guess we could change the first rant and say that we need to change the name of Clemson to South Carolina HEC University. Their motto could be "What the HEC U be doin’?"

harley_52
harley_52 10/04/12 - 10:22 am
seenitB4....

Glad to help. I'm sure there's a simple explanation as to why your system keeps dropping it, but not simple enough for me. I'm guessing it has something to do with your registry, or maybe your anti-virus software, but I really have no good idea.

harley_52
harley_52 10/04/12 - 10:43 am
Romney Won...

...the debate because he was able to present his arguments based upon facts and honesty. He knew his stuff and presented his case politely, respectfully, and with a smile on his face. He was knowledgeable, sincere and straightforward...it came across to the audience. The current President can't handle that sort of treatment.

I'm betting the Obama campaign will react with more vigorous attacks aimed at destroying Romney with drummed up, malicious lies aimed at making him unacceptable as a person to be President, not unlike what's been done to Sarah Palin, Herman Cain, Newt Gingrich and a host of others. Unfortunately for them, Romney is about as clean and wholesome as they get, so I don't think it will work and, from their perspective, worse....it will show them for what they are.

I'm even more confident now that our next President will be Romney and that Obama will drift off into a bitter, racially divisive after-life where taxpayers will continue to spend millions of dollars keeping he and his family as relative royalty while they badmouth and vilify the very people who support their lifestyle.

Willow Bailey
20605
Willow Bailey 10/04/12 - 10:55 am
Harley, from your mouth to

Harley, from your mouth to God's ears. Remove this man as leader of our country.

KSL
KSL 10/04/12 - 11:07 am
Reminder: 1960 third name

Reminder: 1960 third name with Alabama in it was changed to Auburn University from Alabama Polytechnic University.