Rants & Raves

Comments from readers:

IT HAPPENED LIKE MAYOR AZZIZ said it would: Things dying down now. Even the media are referring to GRU university. I think Deke needs to resign so Azziz can finish all the downgrading of Augusta he has started.

ALL REPUBLICANS who are in favor of Mitt Rom­ney: How many times is he going to put his foot in his mouth? If this man can’t even speak well, how on earth can he run the country?

DR. AZZIZ, CAN YOU believe it? Clint Eastwood mentioned “Augusta” on The Ellen DeGeneres Show. Ellen didn’t even have to ask “Augusta, where?”

HUGE RAVE TO Romney for saying the truth about 47 percent of the people not paying taxes.

THE QUESTION SHOULD NOT be “Are we better off now than four years ago?” The question should be: Are we better off now than we were $16 trillion ago?

I JUST GOT A CALL about voting in Novem­ber. Neither one of those guys is worth leading our country. I am not voting for either one of them because they do not need to be the head of the United States of America.

RANT AGAINST Geor­gia Bulldog fans. I am a Texan, myself, even though I went to Car­o­lina. Do they realize that their fight song is John Brown’s Body? I am a dyed-in-the-wool Sou­therner, and that is not a Southern song. Don’t they know that or do they teach history in Georgia?

HAPPY TO HEAR THAT the speed limit on Hereford Farm Road was reduced to 45 mph. I am sure it will save lives. Now please do the same for Furys Ferry Road.

GOV. ROMNEY HAS become a disgrace to the Republican Party. He is unfit to be president of the United States.

A 12-YEAR-OLD ASKED me a question that I could not answer. He wanted to know why we were sending money, supplies and soldiers to countries that are burning our flags and killing our people.

WITH THE AUGUSTA JUDICIAL Circuit being majority black, how can the eight Superior Court judges defend not appointing at least one black Juvenile Court judge? Something smells.

WHAT AUGUSTA needs to do is completely shut down The Patch and let the airport expand.

Karen Slater-McDaniel
Karen Slater-McDaniel 10/03/12 - 09:46 am
fedex227 10/02/12 - 10:09 pm

"That has to be the most glowing indorsement of a Republican candidate I've heard so far. I hate the guy I'm voting for but I hate the other guy more. In a country with a population of 315 million people, this is the best candidate you can come up with? Such enthusiasm!"

It's not a matter of HATE it is a matter of what the sitting POTUS has NOT done for our country versus the disaster he has caused. I actually liked Herman Cain and still do. His biggest problem (Cain's) was not admitting outright that he may have not used the best discretion when it came to female insubordinates ... that killed a local political hopeful too.

I went from an income level in 2008 (lost my position due to restructuring because of the economy) to an income level now which is 1/2-1/3 of what I formerly made. And the problem with that is that I am not the exception; I am the norm. College grads working at restaurants or moving back home with mommy & daddy, people's income cut in half, people who are tremendously underpaid for their level of education and/or work experience, no raises in pay not even for cost of living, homeless, divorced, suicide ... the list is endless and only getting worse under this monster of an egomaniac who has resided on Pennsylvania Avenue the past almost four years. YET ... and I say again, YET ... you have people who live in government housing or the equivilent (Section 8) who can still afford fake nails, fake hair, designer clothes, designer purses, designer shoes, going out clubbing, driving 50k+ vehicles, having babies with multiple partners and damn sure not missing a meal.

Yes ... I would much rather elect someone else (Romney, who I may not agree with his religious beliefs & ideas) and give them a go at it than to gamble four more years with what we currently have in place.

So it is not HATE ... it is more like "SICK AND DAMN TIRED" of going to work 40+ hours a week, every week, for a smaller than normal paycheck while supporting people who will not go to work to help themselves.

bigclaude
bigclaude 10/03/12 - 09:52 am
No offense taken Allahans,

No offense taken Allahans, but I did copy and paste the part of the post that I was responding to and it wasn't from the post that was entered by Myfather.

I was just scratching my head tyring to figure how my post got pointed in that direction, so I thought I would ask.

Karen Slater-McDaniel
Karen Slater-McDaniel 10/03/12 - 09:57 am
Taxes withheld

And actually on Social Security withholding the percentages for employee/employer are not equal. The employee's rate is 4.2% and the employer's rate is 6.2% due to the continuation of Temporary Payroll Tax Cut Continuation Act of 2011. Medicare is an equal percentage between employee/employer.

justthefacts
justthefacts 10/03/12 - 10:15 am
Strange

River, how the heck is Clemson only a 9.5 fav over GaTech? Trying to get my picks in.

daphne3520
daphne3520 10/03/12 - 10:40 am
4TH Verse of "John Brown's Body," IS salient to ALL

"dyed-in-the-wool Sou­therner," (S)

bentman
bentman 10/03/12 - 11:22 am
Did y'all notice that there

Did y'all notice that there is no opportunity to comment on Azziz's latest blog. Circling the wagons?

Riverman1
Riverman1 10/03/12 - 11:30 am
JTF, Clemson---Tech

I suppose it goes like this. Tech has to rebound to make a semblance of a successful season. Clemson is their big rival. They run the ball control offense and have possession of the ball most of the time. That negates Clemson's offense while their defense is still subpar. After having said that....Go Tigers.

By the way, did you see Clemson not run the ball in the last minute against BC for another TD? Classy.

seenitB4
seenitB4 10/03/12 - 12:39 pm
When you hide crack---make sure you can walk!

When an alleged drug deal backfired on Ashley Bellamy and her boyfriend Marcus Gibson, she pulled the ultimate inside job.

The 22-year-old Philadelphia woman hid 36 vials of crack in her vagina in an attempt to stay out of custody, a police official told the Philadelphia Daily News.

At about 5 a.m., Gibson and Bellamy allegedly pulled a gun on a man who wanted to buy crack from them at an Upper Darby Wawa parking lot. They told him to get more than the $50 he had, according to the paper. The 40-year-old man went back inside, but called police to report that there was a man with a gun in the parking lot.

When cops arrived and prompted Bellamy to get out of her car, they noticed she was "walking funny," Upper Darby Police Superintendent Michael Chitwood told the paper.

A female officer was called to search Bellamy, who admitted that she tucked the narcotics inside herself, the Delaware County Daily Times reported.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 10/03/12 - 01:07 pm
Kegel

She probably had not been doing her Kegel excercises.

countyman
20236
countyman 10/03/12 - 01:44 pm
Davidson is usually ranked

Davidson is usually ranked the #1 high school(has middle too) in the entire state, and the only school in the state in the top 100 nationally.. AR Johnson middle/high is one of the top schools in Georgia, and let's not forget CT Walker(k-8) scores on high on every single standardized test available... Given the track record I can't understand how any magnet school in the county is wasteful spending..

Interesting how somebody from Martinez would think offering kids different options in Richmond County is a waste.... Especially when one of the main topic is tax payer money being spent in South Augusta.. I'm positive the parents of the over 900 students who applied for the new school don't think it's a waste...

The school will only have 170 freshman the first year, and will add a grade level each year.. The school won't offer all of the programs until sometime next year... Some of the upperclassmen will attend both the magnet school and Augusta Tech...

allhans
allhans 10/03/12 - 02:00 pm
Regarding Obamacare...I heard

Regarding Obamacare...I heard in a late night debate from Wash State that a family of four with an income of under 29,000 would automatically go on Medicaid. The rate for single person or a family with less children would go on Medicaid but didn't give the amount of income for the cutoff. That most elderly would go from Medicare to Medicaid.
That a state can refuse a new enrollee, Medicaid, after an unknown allotted amount of money has been used.
Also insurance that you purchase or get through your company, rates would be based on age, family composition and tobacco use.

This is so alien to me. The more I hear, the more I think it might just be a total screw-up and those who wrote the plan didn't give it much thought, simply threw it together.

Is all of this true. Does anyone know?

allhans
allhans 10/03/12 - 02:03 pm
My across the street neighbor

My across the street neighbor just placed a Giant "A" in his yard.
The signs are everywhere - but I doubt that any thing will come of it.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 10/03/12 - 02:04 pm
Emphasis

I don't think RM was saying the idea of a technical magnet school is wasteful spending. He was saying it would be a waste if they don't include traditional vocational emphases like welding, plumbing, electrical, carpentry, etc. Instead, by focusing on glamourous things like being a chef, being an on-screen weathergirl, being a bank teller they are missing some additional opportunities.

countyman
20236
countyman 10/03/12 - 02:12 pm
The school will include a

The school will include a large automotive shop on the campus... I think it's good the school won't only focus on traditional vocational industries...

• Business and computer science (financial management, computer networking)

• Architecture, construction, communication and transportation (broadcast/video production, collision repair, transportation logistical operations)

• Engineering and Technology (electronics, energy systems)

• Culinary arts

• Marketing sales and services (lodging management)

• Government and public safety (firefighting)

Riverman1
Riverman1 10/03/12 - 04:17 pm
Auto Repair is a Good Idea

From the article....“Though the magnet school’s nine teachers expected to move in this month, they are making the best of classroom work to make up for time lost in labs…The school, being built on the Augusta Technical College campus, reduced the pathway options from six to four: culinary arts, banking, broadcasting and computer networking. Kelly said the school will expand those options as soon as next year when the building’s automotive area and other facilities are ready.”

My point is the jobs are not in the subjects being offered. As LL said, the jobs that are open are in welding, carpentry, plumbing and so on. The computer stuff should be beneficial. I'm just not sure there are that many jobs around here in culinary arts and broadcasting. Marketing and sales in a tech high school, I have questions about. Fire fighters are usually hired and THEN trained. Why teach that in high school? Maybe more pertinent fields will be added as things sort out.

By the way, I was calling for a tech school in Richmond County years ago as a way to combat the dropout rate.

dstewartsr
20389
dstewartsr 10/03/12 - 04:29 pm
How was breakfast?

First time in almost forever, I had to be elsewhere first thing in the morning -- doing taxi service for a friend to the hospital.

Riverman1
Riverman1 10/03/12 - 04:30 pm
About the Tech School

As I've said in a few different places, I'd have subjects in hardcore trades where immediate jobs are the reward. Put these kids out working in the real world 4 days a week as apprentices to skilled tradesmen. Possibly they could even be paid a little bit. 1 day a week back in class picking up their academic requirements.

Sargebaby
Sargebaby 10/03/12 - 04:52 pm
"How was breakfast?" Sorry

"How was breakfast?" Sorry you couldn't be there, dstewart, it was great and the company was perfect. Jake, CobaltGeorge, KSL and Family were there, and we enjoyed a family-like atmosphere. Jake is returning in March, and we'll try to set up the 2nd Annual Grits Summit.
Your taxi service was most noble, and more important than breakfast at Cracker Barrel. For whoever you assisted, God bless you, sir!

Riverman1
Riverman1 10/03/12 - 06:21 pm
Question about RC School System Administrators

Are several RC School System administrators being provided with cars for personal use? I'm not talking about Dr. Roberson because I understand the Superintendent has always been given a car.

dstewartsr
20389
dstewartsr 10/03/12 - 06:32 pm
Sargebaby,

He has. Richly.

I do hope to make the next grits summit, though.

KSL
KSL 10/03/12 - 06:43 pm
It will be good to see you

It will be good to see you again, dstewart.

dstewartsr
20389
dstewartsr 10/03/12 - 06:51 pm
RM1

... I've heard that- what I find more troubling are the gas cards being given out like party favours to seemingly one and all remotely connected with government. Not only in RC, either.

KSL
KSL 10/03/12 - 06:57 pm
Jake arrived looking just

Jake arrived looking just like his avatar, complete with an enormous fake cigar. The Madame, who no longer posts, was invited by me because she knows all of us and has known Jake almost as long as I have.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 10/03/12 - 08:07 pm
There Is Nothing

as great to share a (no grits for me) Breakfast with old friends and a new one too. One of the best one I have had in a long time. Jake is differently a person to meet. Sure wish I didn't sell my Golf Clubs because it would have been a pleasure to have shot a round with him.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 10/03/12 - 08:17 pm
Are We All Ready

for the 9 PM Rumble? I am, got a bottle of TUMS and a few Air Sick Bags.

I know I will need a shot or two of "Reserve" when the curtain falls.

KSL
KSL 10/03/12 - 08:19 pm
Cobalt

I told you about Jake the first time we met. He is a keeper as a friend, just like you and the other attendees are, as well as those who could not make it.

KSL
KSL 10/03/12 - 08:29 pm
I don't normally watch

I don't normally watch debates, nor do I watch presidents speaking. I am going to watch despite the pure misery of having to listen to not only what Obama will say, but how he hisses his words that end in "s.".

He may be the only snake you CAN see that is your enemy to fear.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 10/03/12 - 08:28 pm
Yes KSL,

You spoke the truth about Jake. To meet him is to Love him.

KSL
KSL 10/03/12 - 08:47 pm
Just like meeting you and

Just like meeting you and Sarge and countless others, including the too many who are no longer with us.

KSL
KSL 10/03/12 - 09:08 pm
Wow

Somebody told Obama that KSL didn't like his hissing.

Faces of Survival: Breast Cancer Awareness Month series

Breast cancer has touched thousands of families across the Augusta area. In honor of Breast Cancer Awareness Month in October, The Au­gus­ta Chronicle will be featuring ...