Rants & Raves

Comments from readers:

IT HAPPENED LIKE MAYOR AZZIZ said it would: Things dying down now. Even the media are referring to GRU university. I think Deke needs to resign so Azziz can finish all the downgrading of Augusta he has started.

ALL REPUBLICANS who are in favor of Mitt Rom­ney: How many times is he going to put his foot in his mouth? If this man can’t even speak well, how on earth can he run the country?

DR. AZZIZ, CAN YOU believe it? Clint Eastwood mentioned “Augusta” on The Ellen DeGeneres Show. Ellen didn’t even have to ask “Augusta, where?”

HUGE RAVE TO Romney for saying the truth about 47 percent of the people not paying taxes.

THE QUESTION SHOULD NOT be “Are we better off now than four years ago?” The question should be: Are we better off now than we were $16 trillion ago?

I JUST GOT A CALL about voting in Novem­ber. Neither one of those guys is worth leading our country. I am not voting for either one of them because they do not need to be the head of the United States of America.

RANT AGAINST Geor­gia Bulldog fans. I am a Texan, myself, even though I went to Car­o­lina. Do they realize that their fight song is John Brown’s Body? I am a dyed-in-the-wool Sou­therner, and that is not a Southern song. Don’t they know that or do they teach history in Georgia?

HAPPY TO HEAR THAT the speed limit on Hereford Farm Road was reduced to 45 mph. I am sure it will save lives. Now please do the same for Furys Ferry Road.

A 12-YEAR-OLD ASKED me a question that I could not answer. He wanted to know why we were sending money, supplies and soldiers to countries that are burning our flags and killing our people.

WITH THE AUGUSTA JUDICIAL Circuit being majority black, how can the eight Superior Court judges defend not appointing at least one black Juvenile Court judge? Something smells.

WHAT AUGUSTA needs to do is completely shut down The Patch and let the airport expand.

tcowan13
tcowan13 10/02/12 - 06:34 pm
I Agree With This Statement 100 Percent

I Agree With This Statement 100 Percent:GOV. ROMNEY HAS become a disgrace to the Republican Party. He is unfit to be president of the United States.

Fools_and_sages
Fools_and_sages 10/02/12 - 07:51 pm
Don't vote?

If you don't vote, then I expect you refrain from complaining for the next four years regardless of who wins the election. If you don't exercise the right to vote, you have not earned the right to complain about leadership, lack of leadership, the debt, the deficit, inaction on Congress, Obamacare, welfare, taxes, or anything else. Often, I find those who are the biggest complainers are also often the ones who choose to disenfranchise themselves. I know who I'm voting for. You might not agree with my vote. But at least I get out there and choose the lesser of two evils-- because, unfortunately, that's what the political system in the US has been reduced to. Each of us has to use our best judgement to vote for who we, as individuals, think is the best man for the job. We might not like who we have to choose between, but we still have to make a choice and a choice willbe made between these two candidates whether you vote or not. So, buck up and deal, be a responsible citizen, and exercise the right to vote that is given to you by the Constitution. If you refuse to vote because you don't like the candidates, you're behaving like a spoiled brat and you are most certainly being unpatriotic, you're being un-American, and you're being irresponsible. In my eyes, that means you have forfeited your right to complain about anything for the next four years.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 10/02/12 - 08:31 pm
Fools_and_sages

HORraaaaa to you

It always gives me great pleasure to see a common sense American stuff someones pipe and tell it to smoke it.

You have to come on here more often.

Karen Slater-McDaniel
Karen Slater-McDaniel 10/02/12 - 08:32 pm
I vote in every election!

I vote in every election! What do I like about Romney? He IS NOT Obama!!! Nothing else to say ... keep on hating & blaming ... it's gotten u REAL far hasn't it?

Karen Slater-McDaniel
Karen Slater-McDaniel 10/02/12 - 08:38 pm
Not intended for u F&S. Just

Not intended for u F&S. Just a general statement about the entitlement crowd.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 10/02/12 - 08:39 pm
@2 & 9

How can GOV. ROMNEY ever be more unfit to be president than the King SMNCICBHO president we have today? Totally Impossible!

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 10/02/12 - 08:43 pm
@10

That was very easy to answer. Just tell him that we have a person that many call president that is obligated in supporting his own kind of people.

dstewartsr
20389
dstewartsr 10/02/12 - 09:03 pm
"If this man can’t even speak well

... how on earth can he run the country?"

My preference is not for some lying fast talking clown like we have in office now. And he's not that good at it; without the press editing his off the teleprompter gaffes and burying them, he's worse than that simpleton vice president of his. This is the same accusation thrown at Dubya; now that he's not president, look how much smarter he seems to have become in interviews with the lamestream media.

dstewartsr
20389
dstewartsr 10/02/12 - 09:05 pm
"Romney .. saying the truth about 47 percent

... of the people not paying taxes."

Ah, yes! Truth: The third rail of liberal politics; touch it and die!

dstewartsr
20389
dstewartsr 10/02/12 - 09:07 pm
"With the August Judicial circuit being majority black

... how can the eight Superior Court judges defend not appointing at least one black Juvenile Court judge? Something smells."

Yes. The poster's racism stinks. Badly.

dstewartsr
20389
dstewartsr 10/02/12 - 09:10 pm
"Hereford Farm Road was reduced to 45 mph.

I am sure it will save lives."

No, building the sidewalks from the schools will save lives. But they won't; that would take the commissar's (theirs, not ours) money from building gee-whiz crap for Evans.

Riverman1
Riverman1 10/02/12 - 09:21 pm
John Brown's Body

Georgia is about half black, folks. I see UGA using THAT song as a fight song as appropriate. Shoot, most of our good players are black. We don't want them all running off to the Big Ten like they used to because we play Dixie.

Mississippi must use an elaborate explanation to explain to recruits why they are called the Rebels. "The Blind Side."

"John Brown's body lies a smoldering in the grave, Go Herschel." It all fits.

Lou Stewall
Lou Stewall 10/02/12 - 09:29 pm
Flagged as inappropriate

There was a very astute comment published in todays paper which has been deleted from the web. It was about how polygamy hurts Muslim men and OBL had 53 brothers and sisters. It said it was the root of Muslim problems. Guess that isn't PC.

fedex227
fedex227 10/02/12 - 10:09 pm
"What do I like about Romney? He IS NOT Obama!!"

That has to be the most glowing indorsement of a Republican candidate I've heard so far. I hate the guy I'm voting for but I hate the other guy more. In a country with a population of 315 million people, this is the best candidate you can come up with? Such enthusiasm!

Evil Regal
Evil Regal 10/02/12 - 10:55 pm
If you're gonna rant at least but truthful...

"HUGE RAVE TO Romney for saying the truth about 47 percent of the people not paying taxes"

Yes, about 47% of Americans pay no INCOME tax (46% if you want to nit-pick). But of course, they pay "payroll tax" if they have a job, and most people don't know what that means. The Payroll tax is the part taken out of your paycheck to pay for Medicare and Social Security - which is matched by your employer. If you are self-employed, you pay the whole deal, which until recently was 18% of your income up to $108,000. 18% - that's a full four percentage points higher than Romney paid in income tax. These people also pay taxes on everything the buy in stores in this country. The lie that 47% of people pay no taxes AT ALL is beyond preposterous!

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 10/02/12 - 11:32 pm
Payroll Tax

But these so-called "payroll taxes" are entitlement benefits that come back to you if you are fortunate enough to live long enough. Therefore, they're not taxes at all, but rather insurance premiums (in the case of Medicare) or annuity payments (in the case of Social Security).

If you die young, tough luck. The government wins.

myfather15
myfather15 10/02/12 - 11:34 pm
Evil, here you go again

Evil, here you go again distorting the truth to press an agenda. Take a look at your check next time, the Medicare and SS deductions are completely seperate than the Federal Income tax deductions. 47% of American's don't pay federal income tax at all. In fact, they get much more than they pay in with exemptions. A guy I work with paid $1200.00 dollars in FEDERAL INCOME TAX ALL last year, but at tax time, he got $6500.00 refund. Why? Because he has 4 children and his income is the only household income (Around 40k total). This has NOTHING to do with Medicare/SS!!! This is FEDERAL INCOME TAX ONLY!! So, lets see if we can do some simple math, if one pays in $1200.00 during the year but gets back $6500.00, how much did end up paying? Yes, everyone pays sales tax, but that also is completely seperate than FEDERAL INCOME TAX.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 10/02/12 - 11:38 pm
Ranter # 11

asked:

How can the eight Superior Court judges defend not appointing at least one black Juvenile Court judge?

I guess they chose persons on the content of their character, not the color of their skin.

allhans
allhans 10/03/12 - 03:09 am
After reading some of the

After reading some of the above, One could wonder if the liberals aren't beginning to worry.
They have to know what a mess Obama has made of things..yet they
want to take their frustrations out on Romney, a man fully qualified, able and ready for the role of president. And by the way..HE will be on the job 24/7 as required and when the phone rings at 3 AM, Romney will answer.
The debates should answer questions for those who aren't sure as yet which candidate if any they will vote for.
I hate to see a vote go to waste.

Ruckus
Ruckus 10/03/12 - 06:26 am
Romney

Romney could always work for Azziz and help him screw up even more in this city

TrukinRanger
TrukinRanger 10/03/12 - 06:40 am
Sounds like it's time to get

Sounds like it's time to get rid of deductions for the number of kids you have. I also know people that either don't work or can't keep a job and have several kids. Their tax refund every years is 3 times more than mine. You should never get back more than you paid in- period. I should get a check for every penny I've contributed to the school system...and have no kids.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 10/03/12 - 06:41 am
Good Morning Day 34 America.

In 34 days, the true American citizens who love and support you, will set you free. Again you will be able to stand Tall, Proud and a Nation of one God as you where met to be.

Riverman1
Riverman1 10/03/12 - 08:18 am
About the New Tech High School

It's opening is delayed, but I'm also disappointed at the programs being offered. Culinary arts, banking, broadcasting and computer networking. Honestly, how many job openings for those skills are around here?

These kids should be sent out as apprentice plumbers, welders, carpenters, electricians, health care workers and clerical workers. They would learn and receive job offers if they did well. This multimillion dollar tech school and programs are a waste.

dichotomy
dichotomy 10/03/12 - 08:38 am
@2 and @9.......Foot in his

@2 and @9.......Foot in his mouth? Disgrace? I don't think so.

47% not paying federal income taxes. He said the truth. The disgrace is that it's a disgrace that there is a large percentage of the people who live in this great country do not contribute to it's upkeep while hollering for the rest of us to pay more.

We have seen 4 years of Obama. His economic policies are a disaster. His energy policies are a disaster. His foreign policies are a disaster. Obamacare is a disaster. He is divisive. He is unengaged.

Anyone who thinks Romney is not qualified has not taken a good look at the empty suit hanging over a teleprompter that we have now.

bigclaude
bigclaude 10/03/12 - 08:58 am
If you are going to post numbers to make a point.....

.....then you need to make sure they are correct. The following is not accurate..
============================================

============================================
The self employment tax rate was 15.3%, not 18%. It is now 13.3% since the Employee's Social Security Rate was changed from 6.2% to 4.2% during 2011.

The lie that the self employment tax rate was a full four percentage points more than Romney's income tax rate is BEYOND PREPOSTEROUS!!!

allhans
allhans 10/03/12 - 09:02 am
I would like to see Romney

I would like to see Romney ask Obama if he actually thinks folks are better off on welfare than working.
Obama began his administration with everything in his favor, yet he never worked on a real jobs bill. Much of the billions in stimulus money was used to create temporary government jobs and when the money ran out, so did the jobs. He has another one of those "job plans" he is trying to get through Congress, using more borrowed stimulus money to do the same thing all over again. Thank goodness that he hasn't succeeded with that one.
Then ask Obama if he actually believes that government can make better decisions about our healthcare than we can make on our own.
Lots of easy to answer questions...Romney just has to ask them.
When Obama starts on the tax plan, ask him for his. Ask him for the one budget he tried to pass through the Senate and what happened...

allhans
allhans 10/03/12 - 09:36 am
BigClaude. First you need to

BigClaude. First you need to differentiate between earned income and investment income.

Mitt Romney is not employed. Not in any capacity. He paid the full range of taxes at the time he EARNED it.

bigclaude
bigclaude 10/03/12 - 09:27 am
Allhans

What are you talking about? All I did was post the correct figures for the self employment tax rate that the original poster had butchered. How did that turn into where you took it?

I know very well what Earned Income and Investment income is. I do this for a living.

allhans
allhans 10/03/12 - 09:44 am
Big Claude..I'm sorry. I

Big Claude..I'm sorry if I offended..I'm still not sure what you were saying. It didn't add up to me. I tend to scan and maybe I jumped to conclusions. I thought you were replying to My Father and he said nothing misleading that I can see.

SRS shipments halted until 2016

Savannah River Site can't resume shipments of Cold War nuclear waste materials to an underground repository in New Mexico until at least 2016 when the federal government reopens the facility to ...