Rants & Raves

Comments from readers:

I WHOLEHEARTEDLY SUPPORT everything that Dr. Azziz is trying to do for this town. As a change-agent I can empathize with everything he is experiencing.

AFTER SEEING HYDE PARK on TV with its water, moisture and mildew problems, before we build anything else in Augusta, we need to take care of Hyde Park and these precious people. They should have decent housing. They deserve it.

RICHARD ROUNDTREE IS going to groups and clubs making promises that if he is elected he will do certain things. The voters of Richmond County need to be aware of what they are getting into.

THE COMMISSION NEVER gave the Kelly brothers a chance because they were honest, hardworking, decent, local people. If they were from California or overseas or some giant corporation that is going to charge people a million dollars to play golf, they would get them in a second.

RANT TO JOE JACKSON on the commission. I noticed that he was the only one who voted against relocating those people in Hyde Park. What kind of heart does he have? I don’t think he would let himself or his family live there.

A HUGE RANT TO our local ABC affiliate, WJBF, for choosing not to air the new Katie Couric talk show. It would be a vast improvement over several daytime shows that are currently airing, some of them new.

I AM A RETIRED police officer. Whenever we arrested juveniles, we went directly and got the parent. We had very few repeat offenders once the parents started getting involved in their children’s lives. The biggest problem we had was that the parents made excuses. Parents, get involved. Officers, when you arrest a juvenile, go get the parents. Believe me, it will curb a lot of second offenders.

PLEASE, DR. AZZIZ, please reconsider applying for the vacancy at the University of Florida. You going to Florida would make all of Augusta very happy. Please make us happy!

A FEW YEARS AGO, I tried to contact Rep. John Barrow to share a view about a matter concerning a congressional vote. Upon finding that I was outside his district, his secretary said that he did not talk to those outside his district. Now that he has changed residence into my large district, and my large church, perhaps he would talk to me.

AutumnLeaves
AutumnLeaves 09/26/12 - 07:40 pm
Hyde Park and Joe Jackson

I doubt very seriously he is against them moving. I think he is against the taxpayers of Augusta paying that exorbitant amount of money for them to do it. The amount they mentioned was ridiculously high.

Riverman1
Riverman1 09/26/12 - 08:43 pm
To the "change agent"

To the "change agent," change is always happening. A good leader promotes wise change, not poorly thought out alterations.

dwb619
dwb619 09/26/12 - 08:50 pm
parents

Years ago I was coming home from a double shift,after midnight. As I was turning off the hiway the SCHP had a car stopped. The patrolman, who I knew flagged me over. Seems that he had two teenagers that had a bit to much. He got me to drive the car and follow him as he carried them home to daddy. You can't do that kind of stuff anymore.
Also there were three different ways of going into the Army.
1. enlist
2. get drafted
3. be on the verge of delinquency,and daddy,the sheriff,and the judge would give you choice. Jail or the Army.

Jake
Jake 09/26/12 - 09:17 pm
Draft?

I didn't know there was still a draft going on. I thought it was an all voluntary Army enlistment now. I liked the story though, dwb619, it brings to mind doing the community thing which is slowly disappearing because of various potential law suits, etc.

dwb619
dwb619 09/26/12 - 09:33 pm
Jake

Late seventies. When teenagers still had a little fear,or respect, for the law and parents.

Jake
Jake 09/26/12 - 09:39 pm
Fear and respect

I learned some of my best lessons in life as a teenager. My friend and I were drinking beer in his car in 1968 while going up Walton Way near ARC. All of a sudden we saw the flashing lights behind us and he pulled over. He got a warning for changing lanes without using a turn signal. Ever since then I always use my turn signal when changing lanes. It scared me straight about drinking in a vehicle and observing the rules of the road.

dwb619
dwb619 09/26/12 - 09:43 pm
kent

Jake,
Remember a city detective named Kent from that time frame?

dstewartsr
20389
dstewartsr 09/26/12 - 11:28 pm
I heard Jackson speak

... and although I do not agree with him, he did make some points. The city wants to use the land for a containment, which is good. However, the amount of land they want seems excessive, and many of the people living there are seniors who have spent most of their lives there and do not want to leave. Where are they to go? Move to where, buy a new home away from everyone they know with what? The only ones who will get enough for even a decent down payment on another property probably cannot afford the mortgage -- if they could be approved for one.

And why are the five acres offered for FREE to the city insufficient for a containment? Could it have to do something with none of the city's well connnected not making a windfall?

dstewartsr
20389
dstewartsr 09/26/12 - 11:33 pm
Fourth way

... was to volunteer for the draft; you could more or less pick when you went in, and you got a two year enlistment, which in the late fifties and early sixties meant you probably would serve only 18 months; Elvis did 20.

By the way, it was not only the Army which had draftees; they were allocated to all the services based on manpower levels.

Jake
Jake 09/26/12 - 11:35 pm
dwb619

No, I don't recall any police names from back then other than Chief Beck. I didn't get in trouble enough.

dstewartsr
20389
dstewartsr 09/26/12 - 11:39 pm
#7, You must be a long retired

... police officer; today, the parents will sue you for having the effrontery of arresting their little darling.

KSL
KSL 09/27/12 - 01:01 am
What the heck is the purpose

What the heck is the purpose of a "change agent"?

KSL
KSL 09/27/12 - 01:16 am
Wait. I know finally

What both of my sons do for a living. Both work in the energy business. Not tearing communities apart.

Riverman1
Riverman1 09/27/12 - 05:05 am
KSL, the "change agent"

Heh, heh, heh, that was a pretty funny self description in that rave. But I'd also like to remind the raver that Dr. Azizz said GRU was the name the Board of Regents picked, not him. So are you implying the other "change agent," Dr. Azizz, is dishonest?

wayne2410
wayne2410 09/27/12 - 05:53 am
I think change agent may be

I think change agent may be just another name for yankee carpetbagger but I admit I do not know for sure. Sure sounds like it if they support that arrogant Azziz

allhans
allhans 09/27/12 - 06:36 am
Does all Hyde Park residents

Does all Hyde Park residents own their homes? I fail to understand why any person would continue to live in such conditions. Shouldn't they have moved out years ago?

No would should consent to or be allowed to live in an area that might be a health issue.
Are they waiting for some kind of settlement or is it that they honestly have no place to go.
I'm just curious. I hear about problems..and have for years.

If it is the fault of RC, then DO SOMETHING!

dstewart..I almost always agree with you, but maybe not completely this morning. This area has tons of seniors who have had to leave their homes and move to a rent subsidized apartment or something similar , (just for being old).

Riverman1
Riverman1 09/27/12 - 06:58 am
JTF, Chipper Looked a Little Hung Over

Chipper and a few others did look a little hung over, but they won again. Did you see the interview with him before the game where he talked about them enjoying the beer? He looked a little high then. Heh.

He reminds me of the charismatic, hard drinking, Mickey Mantle. You just have to love both of them. I admire a man who can get a little drunk one night and work hard the next day. Mickey and Billy Martin played more than one game after hard nights. I just hope Chipper didn't go out to Hooters again and impregnate another waitress.

Riverman1
Riverman1 09/27/12 - 07:09 am
Another Round on Me Story

To all you football hating, nondrinking, soccer loving sports writers, give the Braves a break. They are in the playoffs and deserve the celebration. Chipper called those radio guys who complained about their partying, idiots. I agree. Sport(s) is not a game for the faint hearted or physically weak. Get drunk, slap a marshmellow salesman at the hotel bar and hit a homerun the next day. End up a manager in the Bigs and punch out a misbehaving player. Geez, I digress with thoughts of Billy Martin, Mickey Mantle and Roger Maris smoking cigarettes in the dugout when the Yanks were batting.

seenitB4
seenitB4 09/27/12 - 07:15 am
If the Creeks don't rise......esp. for Jake this am...ole Hank

What a story about Hank Williams...one of the Greats in country music....25,000 came to his funeral.......now how many can say THAT will happen .......

seenitB4
seenitB4 09/27/12 - 07:16 am
I miss good country music....

As old Hank would say, "If the good Lord's willin' and the creeks don't rise, I'll see you soon. I'll be home soon, Little Bocephus."

seenitB4
seenitB4 09/27/12 - 07:18 am
Chipper

I saw chipper on tv last night---I agree with him..they should celebrate---why not!
But chipper talks a little bit tipsey like....always does seem that way to me.

Riverman1
Riverman1 09/27/12 - 07:19 am
Hey Shrimp, The I-526 Charleston Story

Did you see the I-526 story in the Chronicle today? I have a friend whose house sits near the proposed route of the highway on James Island near the marshlands. The problem is because the exact route of the interstate is up in the air, she and her husband can't sell their million dollar house. This has been going on for over a decade. Maybe a lesson for us in the CSRA.

Riverman1
Riverman1 09/27/12 - 07:20 am
SeenIt

Hank Williams is as great an artist as any famous painter.

Riverman1
Riverman1 09/27/12 - 07:22 am
Observation

Steven Kendrick and the lady who set the value of Mister J's Magic Door have lots of power in Augusta including with the press. I wonder why?

Riverman1
Riverman1 09/27/12 - 07:25 am
SeenIt, yeah, Chipper always

SeenIt, yeah, Chipper always talks that way, but he also drinks his share of the beer. He also has that wild side with the big tattoos he got on each arm...and the Hooters.....

seenitB4
seenitB4 09/27/12 - 07:25 am
10 minutes of Hank on stage

Boy did my mamma & daddy play this music....Long Gone Daddy.....daddy was in the service but boy when he came back home they really knew how to party......
Yep River.....he was an artist with the music....

seenitB4
seenitB4 09/27/12 - 07:32 am
Just thinking

My mama & daddy really loved each other.....I now realize how important that is to a child.....he passed away 6 months after she died....he said he didn't want to live without her....
Maybe that is what is missing in todays world......kids don't see that enough....
They hugged & held each other all the time.....we kids KNEW the love was there...
I felt very secure with my daddy in charge of everything...:)

Riverman1
Riverman1 09/27/12 - 07:38 am
Hank and Patsy on the radio

Very good comment, Seenit. I do FEEL all of that.

And Hank and Patsy on the radio remind me of a cotton field off Hwy 78 in Bamberg County with this old house in the middle of the field. I bet thousands of people have stopped and taken photos of it. I have always wondered why the owners have left it, but then I get it at the same time.

Riverman1
Riverman1 09/27/12 - 07:39 am
"In the service"....a long

"In the service"....a long gone term. Now it's "he was in the Army or miltary." Wonder why?

justthefacts
justthefacts 09/27/12 - 07:41 am
Chipper

He probably hasn't been in Hooters in quite a while. He is sure going out in style. Really going to seem strange next year without him. I don't really see another leader on the team. McCann maybe, but he doesn't have much longer either. I doubt the Braves resign him.

Search of alleged dealer's home found drugs, firearms