Rants & Raves

Comments from readers:

RANT TO RICHMOND County Board of Education for selling broken items at the surplus sale. When I called to ask what can be done, I was met with attitude and snide remarks … typical.

IT REALLY TICKS me off when I have to pay my Georgia Power bill. Before they even add the current service I’ve used, the bill is already at $38.42. How can they charge so much for all their compliance and recovery costs? We really need alternative companies so we can choose whatever power company we want.

MY RANT IS how the city of Augusta and/or the lease holders of “The Patch” shut down the course and reopened the course, but neither of the parties seems to have paid the people who worked there.

HUGE RANT! Handi­capped people, the pull-through parking spots that are now opening up are for vans/trucks/SUVs/cars that have a ramp or a lift attached to them, not for you to park your little cars in.

OUR AMBASSADOR to Libya was murdered by Islamic fanatics. The religion of peace kills again.

THE PROBLEM WITH Barrow is he is a Democrat and his presence in D.C. gives the oppressive, Democrat regime a numbers advantage in Congress.

RAVE TO Somewhere in Augusta Bar & Grill for feeding the public safety officers today for free.

SOMEONE IS UPSET that the Editorial and Opinion section of The Augusta Chronicle seems very biased? An editorial is the opinion of the publisher, editor or editors. So to whoever is reading this: Editors, stop publishing your opinions in your opinion section. Is that what your readers want?

A RAVE TO ALL the employees and customers that helped my Mom after she fell in Joann’s Fabrics on Saturday, Sept. 15. She wants to especially thank the young man who stayed with her and talked to her the whole time until the ambulance arrived. There’s not too many young men now who would sit and comfort an 86-year-old lady, but he did. There’s no concussion or broken bones but she does look like a raccoon. Thank you so much for your kindness. God bless you all.

dstewartsr
20389
dstewartsr 09/25/12 - 09:19 pm
"OUR AMBASSADOR

to Libya was murdered by Islamic fanatics."

No, I disagree. Our embassador was killed, and a small team did it. But a few fanatics did not swarm the embassy, nor all the other mass demonstrations. This is a cultural aggression that has been going on for six centuries since Islam came out of Arabia and murdered their way to regional dominance. This cult has been at war right up into the middle of the 19th century, and is not about to stop now that they have sensed weakness in the West.

dstewartsr
20389
dstewartsr 09/25/12 - 09:20 pm
"...when I have to pay my Georgia Power bill

... before ... current service ... the bill is already at $38.42"

And the same is true of your gas bill, your phone bill, your water bill. My favorite hidden in small print charges is the added amount to supply free cell phones to the "needy."

dstewartsr
20389
dstewartsr 09/25/12 - 09:14 pm
"... the Editorial and Opinion section

of The Augusta Chronicle seems biased?"

Really? Who would have thought that? I'm guessing the complainer finds no disagreement with their views in the Atlanta Constipation, or even USA Today's DeWyane Wickham; the only publishing black more racist-whiney than Louis Gates?

dstewartsr
20389
dstewartsr 09/25/12 - 09:18 pm
Spanking teenage girls

... by male staff just managed to make a commonsense discipline controversial again. I agree with one mother though, who posted had she left the considerable marks the school did, she would be facing a family court judge.

Jake
Jake 09/25/12 - 10:05 pm
Breakfast time

I am posting this early so some of the faithful R&R posters will see this. Sarge and I have been discussing having a breakfast at Cracker Barrel in Evans. A "Grits" summit if you will. Based upon his medical schedule we thought that Wednesday, Oct 3rd at 9am would work. I hope that many of you will be able to attend. We both would love to see again or meet new faces that inhabit this forum.

Riverman1
Riverman1 09/25/12 - 10:54 pm
KSL, continued from yesterday

KSL, you want a Frank Sinatra song or something? They fine me a thousand points or so when I tick off the messenger, but that’s just my personal opinion. I think they just want me to even up my Mohawk haircut and foot long goatee. I mean I get the feeling this is Bait Car on Tru TV at times and I’m always the kid walking by with his pants down low. Thomas Paine, Wolverines or something another.

Riverman1
Riverman1 09/25/12 - 11:08 pm
Spanking Teenage Girls

DS made an interesting post with that theme. It kind of reminded me of yesterday with the Tipsy McStumbles' comments about the girls' uniforms at the bar in Aiken.

countyman
20575
countyman 09/25/12 - 11:38 pm
Posted by Riverman.... 'The

Posted by Riverman.... 'The population of South Augusta is much greater than the old city area of 44,000. Plus, most of the high tax paying industries are in South Augusta. They pay more in taxes than the old city. Yet, mega sums are spent downtown on the TEE and Laney Walker revitalization. There is a policy to redistribute the wealth of the outlying areas in the urban center. It's not unique to Augusta, but a national pattern.'

I'm positive the population is higher than 44k in the year 2012... I can't understand how anybody could mention high tax paying industries, and forget about the Medical District in the old city...

Since you live in Columbia County I don't expect you to remember the citizens of Richmond County approve the TEE Center... The public already knew the TEE Center was located downtown, and opening the building in South Augusta is retarded... The current location of the TEE Center scored the highest market potential, the visitors coming to Augusta flock downtown, and the nicest hotel in South Augusta is probably the Holiday Inn or Fairfield & Suites...

The Laney Walker neighborhood isn't the 'real' downtown.... The money being invested into the Laney Walker comes from the hotel tax(local tourist), and has absolutely nothing to do with certain industries...

carcraft
carcraft 09/26/12 - 05:29 am
Watch it dstewartsr Obama

Watch it dstewartsr Obama says “The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam. " From Obma's own mouth..I thought we had freedom of speech in America reguardless how offensive?

carcraft
carcraft 09/26/12 - 05:31 am
Jake, I wish I didn't have to

Jake, I wish I didn't have to work!

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 09/26/12 - 06:50 am
Good Morning America, Friends and TSDs

Jake, Make sure there is an extra chair available. I is be there if the good Lord allows.

I have to warn you ahead of time, I will order some SOS with two hung over eyes over easy on top of it with a large glass of farm-boy moo juice "WITHOUT GRITS".

The first time I saw grits laying on a flat plate, I wanted to ask the waitress what I was suppose to do with it. How was I suppose to put milk and honey or sugar on it without it drowning my eggs and bacon. So like coffee, my Northern body has yet to consume it.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 09/26/12 - 07:18 am
@8

I wish the AC would publish letters like "What of profligate Obama?" every day.

That way some of us could SMH with comments like this--

"Please AC, for the sake of all that's decent, stop printing the letters of the serial monthly writers. Limit LTE to once a year or something. It seems the farther from reality the person is, the more often they write. We know there is a far out fringe on the left and the right, let them just sit at home wearing their tin foils hats and don't give them a platform. Thank you."

Or

What part of,"We know there is a far out fringe on the left and the right" don't you get? It's not that hard to understand. Basic reading and comprehension. There are a handful of people who are way out there in their views that take full advantage of the 30 day rules on LTE. Surely the AC gets more LTE than just a handful a month. Why continuously allow these fringe writers a platform to spew their nonsens?. I don't care if it's left or right, put other peoples' letters in the paper, not the same handful over and over.

dichotomy
dichotomy 09/26/12 - 07:36 am
countyman......"the citizens

countyman......"the citizens of Richmond County approve the TEE Center"

1. I think we approved $20 million. I believe with the "double do" on Paul's HVAC, Paul's parking deck, Paul's elevated crosswalk, and two really on sided "operated by Paul" contracts we are almost to double that amount.

2. Yes, RC voters approved it.....and they approved TSPLOST.....and that should tell you something about the gullibility of the majority of RC voters. So now they have watched as we spend almost double what they approved for the TEE, deck, crosswalk, etc. and they will soon watch significant amounts of their TSPLOST taxes get redistributed to surrounding counties. Quite frankly, the majority of RC voters have a statewide reputation of not being the brightest bulbs on the tree.

"The Laney Walker neighborhood isn't the 'real' downtown"

It's the "old city" which is what most of us mean when we say downtown.

"The money being invested into the Laney Walker comes from the hotel tax"

Unless you count the local taxpayer's money that is being wasted renting offices that are standing empty, buying property that we don't need at inflated prices, and failing to collect property taxes from ANIC. All of which seem to be part of some underhanded local government sponsored "downtown" charity program.

dstewartsr
20389
dstewartsr 09/26/12 - 07:37 am
CG, I again disagree

... it is good to be regularly reminded of what we're up against; these serial writers' illogic, racism, ad hominem attacks, grandiose sweeping unsupported statements of fantasy as fact, venemous anti-Americanism, and uncompromising vitriol demonstrate precisely who are the fanatics and ideologues in the debate over our county's future. Hint: It ain't conservatives.

On another topic, the 3rd sounds good. I will try to be there (even if some are not thrilled with the prospect).

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 09/26/12 - 07:44 am
@9

There is still "Young Men" who understand that nobody can stop old age and has love for someone that could be his mother.He was brought up right. Your right that as time passes, that loving feeling is slowly fading.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 09/26/12 - 07:41 am
TSD

A very Happy Day To You Too.

dstewartsr
20389
dstewartsr 09/26/12 - 07:47 am
"The future must not belong

... to those who slander the prophet of Islam. " Just wondering if he was referring to Mohammed or himself?

seenitB4
seenitB4 09/26/12 - 08:28 am
countyman

People are NOT flocking downtown...they are NOT fracking downtown either....:)

Good am honeybees...ole loves & new loves---gents & ladies---pups -cats....& good am to Freddie Sanders!

shrimp for breakfast
shrimp for breakfast 09/26/12 - 08:28 am
Jake

I just might be able to make it on the third. Don't worry I'll eat your share of grits! I wonder, does Cracker Barrel have shrimp?
I'll know more about my schedule by the weekend.

shrimp for breakfast
shrimp for breakfast 09/26/12 - 08:36 am
By the way

Good mornin' to all you fellow commenters! May you all have a great day.
Me, I have to do laundry among other husbandly duties. I think I'll hang out online for a while beforehand. I rarely get enough time to google things I've been wondering about.

seenitB4
seenitB4 09/26/12 - 08:56 am
OMG

I just forgot a birthday of someone VERY important to me.....I'm I losing it....gob has already lost memory cells & I don't let him forget THAT....but now I am forgetting stuff.......can that mean something-----what else will go.....will I forget where I live.....what is great about getting older..pls come on & tell me..
By golly I'm still looking for those golden years folks talk about..

Riverman1
Riverman1 09/26/12 - 09:17 am
Countyman, I did think of the

Countyman, I did think of the medical district with all the jobs there, but many of those people live in your dreaded Columbia and Aiken counties and most of the tax revenue is from property taxes. The population of the true, old city, prior to consolidation was 44,000. The county population has not grown as a whole since consolidation and I know of little housing construction in the old city although there may be a few loft apartments and so on. Some low cost housing was even moved to South Augustga, remember. Thus my population comment.

South Augusta has the mega industry paying mega property taxes, much more than paid by the medical district. Understand having industry such as South Augusta has also puts strains on their communities and environment that they are not compensated for.

I've seen photos of the area in New York state surrounding one of the red pigment plants that will soon open in South Augusta. Guess what? The area has a red dust covering it for miles. All I'm saying is recognize the money South Augusta contributes and the hardships the people endure with all that heavy industry near their homes.

Jane18
Jane18 09/26/12 - 09:23 am
Memory and Grits

Hey seenit, nowadays those golden years are more like brassy years. Memory is one of the things "brass" will affect. Remember this(if you can), YOU ARE NOT ALONE....And George, being from up North has nothing to do with not liking or eating grits. My husband, an Arkansas boy, will NOT touch it. Some people just do not like it, even though, the expert cook I am, can cook it better than anyone I know!

seenitB4
seenitB4 09/26/12 - 09:23 am
Hardships ...you are right about that...

I have seen the residue on the trees-cars & homes in South Augusta...especially near Hy 56 & Brown Rd......they do pay a price..
Now I'm reading about another wreck on Mike Padgett this morning...it might be a deady accident ....how many more will happen B4 they do some work on that road......how many will die....
The road by the National is not as DEADLY as Mike Padgett but it will get the attention....
Wake up...& do what Rebel says...let your voices be heard...march in the streets.......go to the dang commish meetings...

seenitB4
seenitB4 09/26/12 - 09:38 am
Thanks Jane

It is nice to know I'm not alone..:)

I love grits.....coffee☺

shrimp for breakfast
shrimp for breakfast 09/26/12 - 09:48 am
Seenit

I forgot a person's birthday on the 21st. It's not that I forgot it, my (getting older) mind just changed it to the 23rd. I've known the person 37 years and I'll be danged if I know how I managed to get the dates messed up.
Wait a minute...What was I talking about?

seenitB4
seenitB4 09/26/12 - 09:54 am
shrimp

At least we are in good company here shrimp.....that is with the ones who are honest about it!
:)--------some guys on here think they are still 34 years old...heh

Riverman1
Riverman1 09/26/12 - 09:55 am
Hey Shrimp...remember the

Hey Shrimp...remember the paper mill in North Charleston that put out the bad odor?

Riverman1
Riverman1 09/26/12 - 09:57 am
What's wrong with being

What's wrong with being 34...like me?

seenitB4