Rants & Raves

Comments from readers:

I BELIEVE ELECTIONS such as mayor and sheriff should be nonpartisan so those of us who are concerned about the 12th Congressional District don’t have to worry about which party to choose. I would have voted for Scott Peebles if I had not been concerned about the 12th District race. Don’t say people were too lazy to go vote; blame our local election setup and try to get it changed.

CLINTON SAYS THE Republicans want to take over because Obama couldn’t clean up the mess they handed him fast enough. Seems like a fair and balanced description.

RANT TO THE three couples who were at Teresa’s on Boy Scout Road Sept. 9. The entire time we were there trying to enjoy a nice Sunday lunch while you let all of your kids (about six of them) run wild all over the place. I have children and grandchildren, and I would never allow them to do such a thing. What makes you think that all of the other patrons wanted to be bothered by that? I hope you enjoyed your lunch because the rest of us certainly did not. Rant to the staff at Teresa’s for not saying something to the parents.

THIS IS A RAVE for Commissioner Wayne Guilfoyle. I called him about a foul odor out here on McDade Road, and he had it taken care of the next day! It seems like there was some rotting road kill hidden in a ditch. Thanks, Wayne! McDade Road now smells like roses again!

REGARDING THE strike by Chicago teachers: I taught in NYC and was on strike for 37 days. Right now the Republicans are trying to break the union – remember schools can run without principals but not without teachers! Let the parents take their children to a museum or other cultural event while the teachers try to get a contract. The teachers want to teach and they work many hours a day – calling unruly parents on the phone and grading papers. They also have to answer to the principal – if he doesn’t like you, watch out! I know as I was the union rep in my school five years.

Fools_and_sages
Fools_and_sages 09/23/12 - 05:17 pm
Chicago Teachers

Normally, I sympathize with unions. In the case of the Chicago teacher's strike, I do not. Chicago public school teachers are among highest paid in the entire nation. Your average Chicago school teacher makes $76,000 per year. That's more than MOST faculty at ASU make despite the fact that your average school teacher has only a masters' and the vast majority of ASU professors have doctorates. Look up ASU faculty salaries on the Chronicle's website and you won't feel sorry for Chicago school teachers either.

Jake
Jake 09/23/12 - 09:26 pm
Foul odor

I think the object in question was a grussom. A grussom is related to a possum in that it will play dead unless poked or prodded by a law suit or a vigilant community. I would imagine the stench will return unless the grussom is located and removed.

dstewartsr
20393
dstewartsr 09/23/12 - 09:32 pm
"CLINTON SAYS

... Republicans want to take over because Obama couldn’t clean up the mess they handed him fast enough."

And then what- he zipped up?

dstewartsr
20393
dstewartsr 09/23/12 - 09:40 pm
"Schools can run without principals

... but not without teachers! Let the parents take their children ... while the teachers try to get a contract."

Yup, typical "public service" union thinking. Enough is never enough and to hell with the people they're serving.

Phoenix11
Phoenix11 09/24/12 - 06:40 am
Voice Your Concern when the Problem Occurs!

I am always amazed by people that will not voice their concerns or displeasure when the problem occurs. What good does it do after the fact. Your meal could have been pleasant if you had said something to the staff at the Teresa's --or better yet you could have stepped up and said something to the annoying people. People will continue to get away with slack and rude behavior because we have become to afraid to show or voice or disapproval.

msgret92
msgret92 09/24/12 - 06:47 am
Chicago Teachers

Ranter get your facts straight. It is democrats, led by Mayor Rob Emanuel trying to break the union strike.

seenitB4 09/24/12 - 06:55 am
Stop the bad younguns

Next time just stand up in the middle of the restaurant & yell out loud...Make your dang kids behave,,& scare everybody....:)

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 09/24/12 - 06:51 am
Partisan

Okay, here is the deal: Sheriff elections in Georgia are partisan because the Georgia Constitution and state laws make them so. You cannot change that at the local level.

seenitB4 09/24/12 - 06:54 am
About the schools..

Ronald Stephens, the executive director of the National School Safety Center, said 65 percent to 90 percent of daytime burglaries are caused by truant students. In many major cities, cracking down on absenteeism directly results in a drop in crime, he said.

Well now......clean up Richmond county & keep the dang kids in school why doncha......are ya listening Rtree.....

seenitB4 09/24/12 - 07:02 am
The rave said...

Well that is sooo nice but ole Wayne will have to do a little bit more for South Augusta to get a rave from some of us.....most already know how to get a dead animal out of the ditch....

seenitB4 09/24/12 - 07:06 am
Jake

I have seen a few "grussoms" on here from time to time...:)

seenitB4 09/24/12 - 07:28 am
Serious question...do you have to have a personality disorder

Question:
Are Narcissists addicted to being famous?

Answer:
You bet. This, by far, is their predominant drive. Being famous encompasses a few important functions: it endows the narcissist with power, provides him with a constant Source of Narcissistic Supply (admiration, adoration, approval, awe) and fulfils important Ego functions. The image that the narcissist projects is hurled back at him, reflected in the eyes (or in the imagined eyes) of those exposed to the celebrity or fame of the narcissist. This way he feels alive, his very existence is affirmed and it begets a sensation of clear boundaries (where the narcissist ends and the world begins).

Are most Presidents narcissist??...Sheriffs?

Riverman1
Riverman1 09/24/12 - 07:45 am
Richard Roundtree Law Enforcement Center

I saw the new law enforcement center is about ready to open. If Roundtree wins and is going to be the first elected black sheriff of Richmond County, maybe the new center can be named after him. His major supporters in the RCSO could also have certain parts of the building named after them.

I envision one guy on the street talking to another guy: "They took me into the Tree for questioning and now I got to go to the Ruff House next week. I hope they don't lock me up in the Web."

Riverman1
Riverman1 09/24/12 - 07:40 am
Everyone has traits of narcissism

It is positively true that we all want to be held in high esteem by the group that WE MOST RESPECT. We do things to increase our prestige within that group. Choose your group wisely.

seenitB4 09/24/12 - 07:45 am
heh heh

Many groups on here to choose from...sometimes I just want variety in my group!☺

seenitB4 09/24/12 - 07:46 am
countyman said this....

Why does this paper continue to put Columbia County beside Richmond?

Well duh....it bumps up next to Richmond county...:)

seenitB4 09/24/12 - 07:56 am
The reason for Perry's oops

Sept 22 (Reuters) - Texas Governor Rick Perry's embarrassing inability to remember a government department he would eliminate if he became president, perhaps the biggest gaffe of the 2012 election campaign, was due to chronic lack of sleep, a new book says.

"Oops," a diary of covering the Perry campaign by Texas Tribune correspondent Jay Root, says Perry suffered from insomnia for weeks before the gaffe.

I want him instead of Romney.....bring Perry back!

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 09/24/12 - 07:56 am
Chicago teachers aren't

Chicago teachers aren't striking for money, they are striking to AVOID ACCOUNTABILITY. They don't want new rules that measure their performance.

harley_52
harley_52 09/24/12 - 07:56 am
I Agree With Ranter Number One...

I want a Mayor and a Sheriff doing what's best for everybody and not beholden to any particular political party.

seenitB4 09/24/12 - 07:58 am
anotherday

This is just the tip of the iceberg,......when they try to cut costs I see riots in the street just like Greece....sad but it will happen here ...

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 09/24/12 - 08:00 am
#1, I say forget partisan

#1, I say forget partisan tickets altogether. You can be a Dem, 'Pub, Green, Libert, Indy, or anything else, everybody just runs on the same ballot.

Riverman1
Riverman1 09/24/12 - 08:04 am
Can't understand why my

Can't understand why my pointing out naming the new law enforcement center after Roundtree if he wins is met with thumbs down? Plus, the CID division could have the name of one of his supporters put over the door to those offices. The new Reserve Department could have the name of one of his supporters over that door, too. I'm just pointing out naming issues. We have to name the building something. I don't get involved with the politics of the sheriff's election anymore after I was told I was unfair. Vote your heart is all I can say.

allhans
allhans 09/24/12 - 08:13 am
Sometimes I regret not

Sometimes I regret not fleeing to Columbia County so that my vote could count. It gets lonely being a conservative in RC.

Riverman1
Riverman1 09/24/12 - 08:16 am
In most Georgia counties the

In most Georgia counties the sheriff is the leader of the political party. That's why it will never change. But getting back to being a neutral observer about the sheriff's election here and all this talk of narcissists, anyone remember when Ed McIntyre was mayor? There were huge billboards with his picture on roads leading into the city welcoming people to Augusta.

If Roundtree wins wouldn't it be a nice gesture to do the same for our first black sheriff? Large billboards of him saying something pro-law enforcement as people drive into the downtown area.

seenitB4 09/24/12 - 08:17 am
Excuse me RM....

This can't be the 1st time you have gotten thumbs down.....I know it is tough on you but sometimes people just don't like what you say on here....i have had to adjust to that.......many many times I get thumbs down & so does CGee for innocent posts.......so suck it up my friend & join the real world.....
:)......:)

Riverman1
Riverman1 09/24/12 - 08:21 am
Well, it's so puzzling.

Well, it's so puzzling. You don't think the law enforcement center should be named after Roundtree if he wins?

seenitB4 09/24/12 - 08:21 am
haha

YOU will figure it out one day...:)

seenitB4 09/24/12 - 08:23 am

No I don't....I'm sick of naming stuff on any politician...sick of it!!!!!!

Riverman1
Riverman1 09/24/12 - 08:25 am
CID and new Reserve Office

CID and new Reserve Office after Roundtree supporters? If I were Roundtree, I'd do that myself even before the law enforcement center is named after me.

seenitB4 09/24/12 - 08:26 am
In Atlanta

They fall over trying to remname streets after some newly elected guy......the people don't want it....just causes upheaval for all....the only renaming I like lately is changing Discover Mall to Sugarloaf Mall....it is on Sugarloaf & that is what they should have named it all along...we have always called it Sugarloaf anyway....

McDuffie school system closes after influenza outbreak

One day after closing Maxwell Elementary School due to excessive absences caused by an outbreak of influenza, strep infection and stomach viruses, the McDuffie County School System has decided to ...