Rants & Raves

Comments from readers:

A RANT ABOUT THE Republican VP candidate. How can we trust Paul Ryan to tell the truth to the American people about anything when he can’t even be truthful about his own marathon running record? I forgot; the Republicans ignore the fact checkers.

AL MASON WALKED, just as I thought he would. These folks who work for local government always look out for one another.

I LOVED THE Applause cover. Way to go, Trilogy Gunby!

A RAVE FOR Mayor Deke Copenhaver, Alvin Mason and Corey Johnson. You said you would bring growth and jobs to south Augusta and you did it. Thank you for all the Dollar General, Family Dollar, and Fred’s stores. We have one on every corner -- some less than 2 miles apart. We need jobs that pay benefits such as insurance, retirement and a pay rate above minimum wage. We must do better. We are homeowners and pay taxes. Do better, elected officials. Thanks for nothing.

A RAVE FOR University Hospital. Thanks to Robbin on the fourth floor. She is a very kind, and patient person. She really took excellent care of me during my stay. I have never been in the hospital before but she made sure I was in good hands. She truly gave me her time and alleviated my fears after surgery. You are the best, Robbin.

HOW COULD YOU PICK a company to run The Patch with no financial solvency when there were legitimate companies waiting in line? And then how could you pull the plug on the Kellys who really care about that important institution? When all they asked for is the same thing you and I would ask for if we lease a home or apartment: serviceable plumbing, heating, air, no holes in ceiling or roof.

AUGUSTA RADIATION Oncology employs a band of angels. They treated me with love and compassion as I went through my treatment. Gina, Amber, Brenda, GiGi and Colleen – you rock!

IT IS A PARENT’S responsibility to send their children to college, not the government.

THE DECISION TO JOIN all the entities I really can’t grasp but a giant rant for how it went down. Dr. Azziz, if it walks like an inconsiderate decision, talks like an inconsiderate decision and smells like an inconsiderate decision, it is a foul way to do business.

KSL 09/22/12 - 10:18 am
Any red. As long as it isn't

Any red. As long as it isn't sweet. The drier, the better.

KSL 09/22/12 - 10:55 am
Seenit

That email is absolutely the best synopsis of the history of Social Security I have seen.

You should post it for the misinformed and the uniformed.

Too bad the red would not show up!

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 09/22/12 - 10:56 am
"The drier, the better."

"The drier, the better." BLEH!! Never developed a taste for vinegar! (LOL). Seriously, I like my reds, but with a milder, fruitier edge; like a good Pinot Noir or Merlot. I've had good Cabs, but on someone else's budget and choice. Can't afford to experiment with $60-$80 bottles.

KSL 09/22/12 - 11:08 am
Vinegar is good for you

Vinegar is good for you (apple cider). The 3 you mentioned are my favorites. And a good Chianti

seenitB4

2.) That the participants would only have to pay
1% of the first $1,400 of their annual
Incomes into the Program,

Now 7.65%
on the first $90,000

3.) That the money the participants elected to put
into the Program would be deductible from
their income for tax purposes each year,

No longer tax deductible

4.) That the money the participants put into the
independent 'Trust Fund' rather than into the
general operating fund, and therefore, would
only be used to fund the Social Security
Retirement Program, and no other
Government program, and,

Under Johnson the money was moved to
The General Fund and Spent

5.) That the annuity payments to the retirees would never be taxed
as income.

Under Clinton & Gore
Up to 85% of your Social Security can be Taxed

Since many of us have paid into FICA for years and are
now receiving a Social Security check every month --
and then finding that we are getting taxed on 85% of
the money we paid to the Federal government to 'put
away' -- you may be interested in the following:

------------ --------- --------- --------- --------- --------- ----

Q: Which Political Party took Social Security from the
independent 'Trust Fund' and put it into the
general fund so that Congress could spend it?

A: It was Lyndon Johnson and the democratically
controlled House and Senate.

------------ --------- --------- --------- --------- --------- --------- --

Q: Which Political Party eliminated the income tax
deduction for Social Security (FICA) withholding?

A: The Democratic Party.

------------ --------- --------- --------- --------- --------- --------- -----

Q: Which Political Party started taxing Social
Security annuities?

A: The Democratic Party, with Al Gore casting the
'tie-breaking' deciding vote as President of the
Senate, while he was Vice President of the US

------------ --------- --------- --------- --------- --------- --------- -

Q: Which Political Party decided to start
giving annuity payments to immigrants?

AND MY FAVORITE:

A: That's right!

Jimmy Carter and the Democratic Party.
Immigrants moved into this country, and at age 65,
began to receive Social Security payments! The
Democratic Party gave these payments to them,
even though they never paid a dime into it!

------------ -- ------------ --------- ----- ------------ --------- ---------

Then, after violating the original contract (FICA),
the Democrats turn around and tell you that the Republicans want
to take your Social Security away!

******if any part isn't true...please come on & tell us

allhans
allhans 09/22/12 - 01:37 pm
It is now 1:26 and I haven't

It is now 1:26 and I haven't seen the big lie...Romney has paid NO TAXES in the rants today..I wonder why?...hmmm

I can't wait for the debate between ole "Keep em in chains Joe Biden" and "I ran it in 2+ min Paul Ryan"..

By the way, I am a HUGE fan of Paul Ryan.
**** I grew up hearing tall tales like catching a 10 pounder but threw it back - to -
I shot an 88 today. I can't say that I have never exaggerated...

dstewartsr
20388
dstewartsr 09/22/12 - 01:52 pm
Allhans, selectivity is the hallmark

... of today's media. My latest egregious example is the reportage of both candidate's charitable giving; instead of coming out and saying Romney gave the most, the lead-in instead asks, "Which one do you think gave the most?" Not until the third paragraph or the chart do you see the huge disparity.

dstewartsr
20388
dstewartsr 09/22/12 - 02:00 pm
Non-stories include

... not only did gutless wonder Kennedy leave a woman to drown while saving his own skin, he had to buy off a waitress he and another drunken politico attempted to assault; Robert Byrd recruiting over forty members to start his own Klan chapter; and the raging disinterest in race pimp Jessee paying his baby mama for his illegit offspring from organization funds, or racebaiting slug Al's failure to ever pay the judgment against him for his libelous attack on the Tawana Brawley prosecutor. The list goes on. And on.

fedex227
fedex227 09/22/12 - 02:12 pm
Why do people continue to post recycled misinformation?

At least post current misinformation. There's plenty around.
However, if you're interested in learning the facts ...

allhans
allhans 09/22/12 - 04:29 pm
One source, such as snopes

One source, such as snopes won't do it. The site is selective in their material, makes mistakes, and voices opinions (depending on THEIR view) just as all the others.

KSL 09/22/12 - 04:37 pm
And

Snopes has a convolution. Who is funding that couple.

KSL 09/22/12 - 04:42 pm
Fed, do your own research

Fed, do your own research and disprove it. Not relying on Snopes for anything.

shrimp for breakfast
shrimp for breakfast 09/22/12 - 05:23 pm
Paul Ryan

If Mitt Romney wins and then gets sick or God forbid dies then this country would be run by a man who would have people starving in the streets while he turns a blind eye.
I think him saying he ran a marathon in less than 2 hours when in reality it took him over 4 hours is more than just a momentary lapse. Under 2 hours is great! Over 4 hours is below average. Running 26 miles is a feat no matter how long it takes but I think he knew just how long it took him. I wonder what else he convienently forgets?

Conservative Man
Conservative Man 09/22/12 - 05:47 pm
Shrimp...

...at least he isn't running in 57 states....like our "young, courageous, handsome, brilliant, sort of a God" president did in 2008....
You lefties need to give it up....Your guy is a hack in over his head,and the last four years have proven it to be true....
Mickey Mouse would be a better president than this doofus....

Sargebaby
Sargebaby 09/22/12 - 05:55 pm
Many thanks for the kind

Many thanks for the kind words and thoughts, to everyone. I'm looking forward to meeting my Brother Jake for Gritz, when he comes. I'm also looking forward to making at least one appearance a day on the AC, as long as I can. Many thanks for my Friend and Brother George for passing the message, when I didn't have the energy to do it myself.

Willow Bailey
20579
Willow Bailey 09/22/12 - 07:14 pm
Thinking of and praying for

Thinking of and praying for you and Precious, Sargebaby.

KSL 09/22/12 - 08:04 pm
Geez Shrimp

Our potus, the smartest person in any room, did not have his students' recommendations after they took his classes. Uhhhh, aaahhh, errrrrr. I would not have recommended him either.

happychimer
happychimer 09/22/12 - 08:33 pm
happychimer
happychimer 09/22/12 - 08:35 pm
So snopes is correct. Some of

So snopes is correct. Some of you won't believe snopes unless you like what it says.

KSL 09/22/12 - 09:04 pm
I was interrupted

While he was a lecturer, not a professor. Apparently information is available about his performance there (or lack thereof).

allhans
allhans 09/22/12 - 09:07 pm
happy...Most of them hit on

happy...Most of them hit on the truth at times..if it is to their benefit.
That's exactly the point.

KSL 09/22/12 - 09:09 pm
23% of Obams' students would

23% of Obams' students would not take another class taught by him. 33% would not recommend his class to others.

KSL 09/22/12 - 09:15 pm
To believe in snopes is to

To believe in snopes is to believe in a biased source. Part of the time they get it right. The rest of the time it is slanted the way they want it.

fedex227
fedex227 09/22/12 - 10:01 pm
I had an old aunt who used to send me e-mails ...

like that social security one. It usually ended with ... 'send this to 10 of your friends or else you will experience bad luck.'

fedex227
fedex227 09/22/12 - 10:15 pm
This one was my favorite ...

You are aware, probably, that Barack Obama lost his bearings recently and said that he was going to campaign in all 57 states. You heard this? And everybody chalked it up to, 'Well, he's tired.'

Barack Obama says he's gonna go out and campaign in 57 states, he was just tired, you know, it's been such a long campaign, he's been so many places, he probably thinks there are 57 states. Well, I have here a printout from a website called the International Humanist and Ethical Union. And here is how the second paragraph of an article on that website begins. 'Every year from 1999 to 2005 the organization of the Islamic conference representing the 57 Islamic states presented a resolution to the United Nations commission on human rights called combating.' And the title of the piece here is, 'How the Islamic states dominate the UN human rights council,' and there are 57 of them.

Obama said he's going to campaign in 57 states, and it turns out that there are 57 Islamic states. There are 57 Islamic states. So did Obama just lose his bearings, or was this a more telling slip? DO ALL AMERICANS A FAVOR AND FORWARD THIS TO EVERYONE ON YOUR EMAIL LIST..... With our country at odds with the Muslems, what will happen if Obama is one? Think and pray before voting!

Good stuff.

KSL 09/22/12 - 11:00 pm
Just goes to demonstrate we

Just goes to demonstrate we don't know why he said it. Now show us that he didn't say it.

fedex227
fedex227 09/22/12 - 11:09 pm
Is that you?

Is that you, Aunt KSL?

KSL 09/22/12 - 11:12 pm
nope

Never got that email. So I couldn't forward it.

KSL 09/22/12 - 11:14 pm
Actually I forward very few

Actually I forward very few emails.