Rants & Raves

Comments from readers:

A RAVE FOR our ministers. You are so faithful. You visit even in the rain. You have so much pride. Our hearts go out to you, you men of God. Thank you.

THE PICTURE OF THE young lady squirting lighter fluid onto a lit grill was a disaster waiting to happen.

RAVES FOR Dwight D. Eisenhower Army Medical Center at Fort Gordon. Thanks to the doctors on the ninth floor. Great job.

I AM AN OUTRAGED and disgusted devout Catholic at the use of the image of Our Lady of Grace in an ad for “nightmare plantation”! What is the relevance in using the sacred image of the Blessed Mother in an ad for a haunted house?

ALTHOUGH I CAN a business wanting to be convenient, I feel it’s a poor choice to have a commercial for people needing to file bankruptcy that has you riding around in a fancy RV, just to be convenient.

NOW THAT WE’VE passed the transportation special purpose local option sales tax, maybe we can get a second traffic light in Appling and that much-needed traffic circle at the Pumpkin Center.

I THINK THE PEOPLE who check “documents’” at the license department need to get their act together. I went there today with my original birth certificate, but the state of Michigan issues a registration instead. Everything was on it. This state is turning out to be a joke.

WHEN USING AN ATM, please stay in your car and do not approach someone withdrawing money. It feels very threatening and scary when you are crowding in too closely.

A RAVE FOR THE Democratic Party. Recall Sept. 3 when President Obama commented that the RNC should have been viewed on a black-and-white TV with rabbit ears. I assume this was a form of comedy. The past 3 1/2 years-plus are the result of his comical administration.

EVERY TIME I READ about Mitt Romney, he is promising leadership. Anyone can promise that. Why doesn’t he lay out a detailed plan of how and where he intends to lead us?

A RANT TO THE Rants & Raves staff. I find it very strange that there aren’t any rants chosen to print about Mitt Romney or the Republicans. I have sent in several but none ever go to print.

dstewartsr
20389
dstewartsr 09/20/12 - 06:50 pm
"... there aren’t any rants

... chosen to print about Mitt Romney or the Republicans."
You need to fire whoever's reading the paper to you.

dstewartsr
20389
dstewartsr 09/20/12 - 06:53 pm
"RAVES FOR Dwight D. Eisenhower

... Army Medical Center at Fort Gordon." Seconded. Best care in the area once you get past the snotty clerical staff whose self appointed job is to make you give up seeking help there.

dstewartsr
20389
dstewartsr 09/20/12 - 06:57 pm
"NOW THAT WE’VE

passed the (T-SPLOST), maybe we can get..."

Guffaw! Appling? Pumpkin Center? Are they in Evans? No? Then, you get (filtered word).

dstewartsr
20389
dstewartsr 09/20/12 - 06:59 pm
"WHEN USING AN ATM,

... please stay in your car and do not approach someone withdrawing money."

Failure to do so, or to crowd me, may result in your widow entertaining your friends in unseemly ways with your life insurance money.

Willow Bailey
20580
Willow Bailey 09/20/12 - 07:40 pm
There's a real cool mom out there...driving a grey suv

You know how they make those little decals with the stick people showing a daddy, mom, all the children and a dog holding hands like paper dolls? This lady had cut off the "daddy" and drawn a huge arrow pointing to the spot with the caption "Position Available". It just makes you laugh at her good nature. She should make the decals and sell them.

Willow Bailey
20580
Willow Bailey 09/20/12 - 07:45 pm
I agree with Ranter 5. All

I agree with Ranter 5. All of her commercials have a completely different and inappropriate visual message. I don't know why anyone would call her.

Jake
Jake 09/20/12 - 08:24 pm
#7 Documents

Exactly which state is a joke, Michigan or Georgia? Let us in on the joke so we can all have a laugh.

Riverman1
Riverman1 09/20/12 - 08:43 pm
Ranter 5 and Willow...Ha...Me too

Ha, that commercial hit me, too. I bet it is a tax shelter device.

Jake
Jake 09/20/12 - 08:41 pm
#9 What?

I must admit I don't get this one. 31 1/2 years ago was 1981 and what administration (Reagan's?) are you refering to? I wish the Chronicle would print Rants & Raves (see #5) that were at least coherent without words or subject matter left out.

Willow Bailey
20580
Willow Bailey 09/20/12 - 08:50 pm
Yep, River, an excuse looking

Yep, River, an excuse looking for a deduction for sure.
I still don't get the purpose of the horse and big dog in the other bankruptcy commercial other than saying, " look how much I am making off your bad decisions."

Willow Bailey
20580
Willow Bailey 09/20/12 - 09:01 pm
It's part of the

It's part of the entertainment, Jake.

Connor Threlkeld
Connor Threlkeld 09/20/12 - 09:35 pm
Jake, thanks for catching

Jake, thanks for catching that. The fraction issue (31/2) you mentioned was because of the glyph we use in print. In print, we remove the space between 3 and 1/2, then change it from 1/2 to a single character, like Microsoft Word users can do with Character Map. The website translates the character to 1/2, but doesn't add the space back.

harley_52
harley_52 09/20/12 - 10:10 pm
dstewartsr...

Couldn't agree more with you and Raver #3 about the great job done by the doctors and nurses at DDEAMC. I've been treated there for thirty years and I would put them up against any hospital in the area. About six months ago I spent a considerable amount of time in their ER, ICU, and elsewhere in the hospital. I wouldn't be typing this now were it not for the excellent staff at DDEAMC and, of course, MRS. Harley.

Jake
Jake 09/20/12 - 11:13 pm
@ Connor

Thanks for clearing that up for me. I will now let my 13yr old son decipher what exactly that means. You guys are really on the ball, no, I mean really. I will cite examples of your kindness at some point

Jake
Jake 09/20/12 - 11:17 pm
@ Willow 9:01

Good one, you are exactly right.

rebellious
20630
rebellious 09/21/12 - 12:33 am
Amazing

Tonight at 11:00 on another media, Walter Sprouse talked about the new Starbucks factory coming to Augusta. It will be located on Mike Padgett Hwy in South Augusta. Mr. Sprouse then went further to talk about some of the nice homes in South Augusta and how people should review this area as a place to live. Thank You sir for the recognition, and for the publication. Way to go for promoting living in Richmond County. You do so much promoting our county as a business location that people never see, but to recognize us as a residence, means so much. I am sure other residents out here feel the same way. Thank you for that.

countyman
19731
countyman 09/21/12 - 01:36 am
The $172 million Starbucks

The $172 million Starbucks and $115 million Rockwood plants are both underway in South Augusta...

The Starbucks plant under construction will shortly have some company, because Georgia Power is occupying 11 acres at the Corporate Park...

I'm glad to announce my list of major improvements in South Augusta is declining... The Augusta Corporate Park already had Starbucks, and now Georgia Power will occupy 11 acres.. The future Augusta Regional industrial park is coming, and the $7 million General Perry Smith Pkwy is underway... Only four left out of the six total... 1.)waterfront development on the Savannah river, 2.) Target shopping center preferably at I-520/Peach Orchard/Windsor Spring, 3.) sports complex at Regency Mall, and 4.) mixed-use(retail, commercial, residential) on Peach Orchard btw Willis Foreman/Highway 88 in Hephzibah or along Mike Padgett/Hwy 56 btw Goshen/Brown rd....

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 09/21/12 - 04:41 am
Wake Up

It seems the Emperors' administration is sticking by the "random act of violence" theory for the recent embassy attacks. For this to have been random you have to have a group of people, armed with automatic rifles and rocket propelled grenades just happen to all appear at the same place and same time. In this case our embassy. And lets not forget the inside guy who knew the ambassadors' escape route. Coincidence? And the date of 9/11? May I quote Special Agent Leroy Jethro Gibbs "There is no such thing as coincidence". Also Science Officer Spock "That's not logical Captain"

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 09/21/12 - 03:40 am
Now the important stuff

Good morning everybody. KSM, tell 'em it can be fun to thank a LEO now and then.

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 09/21/12 - 03:44 am
Speaking of LEO's

Thanks to the two N Augusta cops who tried to get my old pick up going after it died. Didn't get it going but it wasn't because of lack of help from these two officers. Very friendly and professional. Thanks guys.

Retired Army
Retired Army 09/21/12 - 07:31 am
Good Morning Fellow Moochers

Just so you would know, If having paid into Social Security since 1962, served 20 years in the military and drawing a small stipend for injury incurred while serving America, makes me a Moocher, then I have lots of good company down at the local Veterans Hospital or for that matter DDEAMC.

seenitB4
seenitB4 09/21/12 - 07:48 am
Rebel said..

I say thank you too......turn around is coming----& round abouts are too...:)

seenitB4
seenitB4 09/21/12 - 07:52 am
Pumpkin Center

I want that dad burn round about in that center....some of my family travel that area almost everyday...I like roundabouts now......almost love them....but that will take a little more time in one B4 I can say LOVE...
Don't want to "think" & "feel" too much today....just want to "be"....☺

seenitB4
seenitB4 09/21/12 - 07:58 am
Question

How big can a roundabout be?....I mean really....I think I will study that...

seenitB4
seenitB4 09/21/12 - 08:01 am
harley

I've lost my google bar AGAIN...it says that I have it but I don't......if I can't google all day I will feel lost.....a day without google is a day without sunshine to me....
Question #2..Does a computer have a mind of it own?

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 09/21/12 - 08:09 am
Good thing it wasn't a

Good thing it wasn't a Snickers bar you lost... that would be bad!

harley_52
harley_52 09/21/12 - 08:17 am
seenitB4

Go up to the top of your screen and click on "view"

You should find it there and you can turn it on.

Did that work?

seenitB4
seenitB4 09/21/12 - 08:20 am
harley

I did..it says I'm on but I'm not---even locked the bars--I'm still not on....I can't play on here unless I'm turned ON!!!

I will ck with my nerdy nabor to see if he can get me turned on again....if yall know what I mean...
thanks ..:)

seenitB4
seenitB4 09/21/12 - 08:35 am
Have a good day

Company coming ...so will have to clean....yall be good as can be..:)

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 09/21/12 - 08:47 am
Right on, SeenIt

The DOT has been talking about the Pumpkin Center roundabout for several years, but they haven't sent the asphalt trucks out there yet. It's past time. Get on with it. Putting a demonstration roundabout at Pumpkin center will make a lot of converts that will lead to more around here.

Now, let's face it, it's way down the road, but did you notice that the new plan to divert Berckmans Rd. to Alexander Dr. has a roundabout (or traffic circle) at Berckmans and Ingleside? That's nifty. I travel Berckmans road many, many times a week and I've had to stop at that light thousands of times.