Rants & Raves

Comments from readers:

A STANFORD UNIVERSITY study says there’s “little evidence” for all the hype about so-called organic foods. Right along with the absurd environmentalist game and the green game, it’s been a political scam from the first, a nonexistent “problem” that sets up politicians as the “saviors” while those politicians grab our freedom and stuff it in a ditch.=

THANKS TO THE MAN who assisted me at the mall parking lot in front of Jared’s on Aug. 14, between 3:30-4 p.m. Thanks also to the lady who offered to help. These are two compassionate people in the Augusta area. Thanks to my two angels.

A BIG RANT TO THE government because next year our Medicare premiums more than double and nobody tells us the Bad News for Seniors in ADVANCE. You are just supposed to be surprised, I guess!!

PRESIDENT OBAMA’S solution to our economic problems is to raise taxes, rebuild infrastructure and hire more police and firefighters. Well we did it under President Obama for four years and $5 trillion more in debt and unemployment above 8 percent. Instead of Forward, Obama should have a slogan of reverse to the past!

PAGE ONE PHOTO, girl with dangerous, explosive, flammable liquid!!!! ... WHERE ARE YOUR EDITORS? ... COMPLETELY IRRESPONSIBLE!

POOR DR. AZZIZ. He never learned that sometimes when you win, you lose

I WANT TO SAY hoo-ray Chick-fil-A! Their love for God will never sway. ... And we love the food at Chick-fil-A!

WE NEED HELP FROM code enforcement. We have been overrun by hundreds of tacky handwritten road signs hawking “mattresses in plastic” and house buying schemes. Closely behind are signs ads for wood flooring and burial insurance. These signs are now encroaching into our neighborhoods. Please contact these perpetrators and give them a remove by date for this ugly, illegal and distracting litter or pay a stiff fine.

RANT FOR THE Richmond County Library. I can understand why Columbia County wants to break away. I tried to donate over 200 books and the lady told me that it looked like too much work. So I drove them out to Columbia County library and they were happy to get them.

dstewartsr
20393
dstewartsr 09/19/12 - 06:28 pm
"DR. AZZIZ

... never learned that sometimes when you win, you lose." Perhaps, but he's not being that taught lesson here in Augusta.

dstewartsr
20393
dstewartsr 09/19/12 - 06:31 pm
"I drove them out to Columbia County library

... and they were happy to get them." I'm sure. But you do know they'll probably end up in their bi-annual book sale, not on the shelves?

dstewartsr
20393
dstewartsr 09/19/12 - 06:34 pm
"... raise taxes, rebuild infrastructure and hire more police

... we did it under President Obama for four years and $5 trillion more in debt and unemployment above 8 percent."

And what's the definition of insanity- doing the same thing while expecting a different result?

tcowan13
tcowan13 09/19/12 - 06:49 pm
I Want To Say Hooray!!!!

I Say Hooray For Chick-Fil-A. I Love Their Commitment To God And Chick-Fil-A's Attitude About Marriage Being A Union Between A Man And A Woman.I Am And I Will Be A Chick-Fil-A Lover For Life. I Appreciate A Business That Has Moral Standards.God Bless Chick-Fil-A!!!

Jake
Jake 09/19/12 - 07:42 pm
Organic Food

If you don't want it then don't buy it. I can only speak from personal experience when it comes to cageless free-range chickens. When we buy a conventional Holly Farms chicken and boil the skins, neck, etc., for broth, there is a brown scum that appears in the water that we have to skim off. Also the fat is a deep yellow color. When you buy a free-range chicken you notice the fat color is lighter and when you boil it there is no scum. Don't know if that means anything.
I have eaten mass produced caged chickens for many years before I started buying the alternative and I am not dead yet. I think.

YeCats
YeCats 09/19/12 - 08:35 pm
Just a small r/r. In the ad

Just a small r/r. In the ad above, (the vein guys), Julie is tone, looking good! Yet, it looks like she has a cigarette, hanging from her month. True?

Just doesn't go with the nice shot, alls I'm saying, thank-you.

allhans
allhans 09/19/12 - 09:48 pm
To the last rant. That was

To the last rant. That was NOT a lady. A lady would never be so discourteous.

The library is not allowed to shelve donated books. All of their books must go through the normal approved and coded process.
They sell them at book sales held once a month or inside the library each day for $2.00 each. Paperbacks are sold for less.

Bantana
2071
Bantana 09/19/12 - 09:48 pm
chick-fil-a

Uh...you do know that c-f-a announced today that is has agreed to cease donations to right-wing groups that oppose same-sex marriage.

In the same statement announcing their change of heart the company agreed to "treat every person with honor, dignity and respect-regardless of their beliefs, race, creed, sexual orientation and gender."

Congratulations on re-postioning your corporate philosophy to include
all Americans.

dwb619
dwb619 09/19/12 - 10:04 pm
national geographic

I had over twenty years of National Geographic. All were in "like new' condition. I tried every school in North Augusta, Belvedere, Goodwill and Salvation Army Thrift Store, no one wanted them. Ended up throwing in the recycle bin.

allhans
allhans 09/19/12 - 10:26 pm
#3..Obamacare will send you a

#3..Obamacare will send you a voucher if you have no insurance at your workplace, you make too much to qualify for Medicaid and don't make enough to pay the enormous premiums this has wrought, then Obama aka the government, will send you a voucher to help you out according to the Obama care plan..
Isn't it a laugh a minute that Biden, Michelle and Barack run over the country scaring people by saying that Ryan will put them on vouchers when they are already there, compliments of Obama.
And you know what. They get away with it. Nobody calls them on it, so they go on and on repeating their same tired lies.

allhans
allhans 09/19/12 - 10:41 pm
Some reports say that the

Some reports say that the billionaires and the truly rich are selling much of their stocks...at the current high rate they are selling out, and probably making a killing. After the huge sales, stock prices will drop and they can buy them back at a cheaper price. Ho-hum.

rebellious
rebellious 09/19/12 - 10:45 pm
bantanaBobannaBobannabana bobanna

I don't remember Chick-Fil-a ever discriminating against anybody.. What I do remember is the Owner espousing his beliefs. Shameful to some, Respected by others. But your quote that they will "treat every person with honor, dignity and respect-regardless of their beliefs, race, creed, sexual orientation and gender." acts as if this is a new position when I am pretty sure they have been doing this all along, before, during and after this ridiculous dust up created by all of the homosexuals who took exception to the owners opinion.

NewsFlash: They are in the business of selling Chicken Sammiches to people who want to buy them. PERIOD. The Homosexuals started this flap after an interviewer asked Mr Cathy a question and he answered honestly.

Eat the chicken sandwich or don't, but shut the heck up about all the other crap.

It really gets old after a little while.

Ya'll Homosexuals want to be accepted as normal, but you act like Prima Donnas for Gosh sake. Blend, meld, integrate without having to be stroked (no pun intended). I personally don't give a rats rearend if you like that perversion. Just shut up and move on!

Riverman1
Riverman1 09/20/12 - 04:16 am
All Hard Copy Books Going in Dumpster

Before long the internet is going to cause all hard copy books to go in the dumpster. Brick and mortar libraries have had it. They will be converted to something else, just to use the building.

seenitB4
seenitB4 09/20/12 - 04:21 am
Wrong wrong wrong...

Books will be with us til the day we kiss it goodbye!

seenitB4
seenitB4 09/20/12 - 04:23 am
Rebel

I gotta hand it toya.....you make me laugh out loud alot!! A poke in the eye kinda post make me laugh this am...I needed it...

Change any mindsets ON HERE--that is funny too....:):)

Keepum coming ...

seenitB4
seenitB4 09/20/12 - 04:27 am
Thanks to jake & harley

Thank you for helping my sleep pattern last night....I think ksm summed it up in her 1 post.....

Jake...a dentist?? hahhah

seenitB4
seenitB4 09/20/12 - 04:31 am
The rant said....

EXACTLY....that is what is wrong with the USA right now-----can't & won't do the job...I hope you report her hiney!

seenitB4
seenitB4 09/20/12 - 04:42 am
Free range chicks

Yeh Jake..I will have to agree withya...I think there is something to the taste of eggs & chicken when they get to kick up their heels & run/play....maybe they are happy chicks .....just thinking of penning an animal in a small cage for life just makes my stomach turn...sorry folks---I just couldn't do it.

seenitB4
seenitB4 09/20/12 - 04:53 am
Animals have feelings too..

I don't want to get mushy here but animals feel emotions just like we do.....have you ever seen a happy dog loving his master when he comes home from war---unbelievable joy in the dog----also a sad animal when they lose a mate....some even mate for life...heh..they could teach humans a few things..why some mistreat animals I will never know...yeh..you can tell a lot about a person ......

Retired Army
Retired Army 09/20/12 - 05:25 am
Chic-fi-et Posters

Oh boy. Now I can get me a cholesterol filled fried chicken sandwich and some waffle fries.

What's the scoop down here? Are the locals going to have to protest Chic-fil-et for becoming enlightened or will they eat more beef?

And in deference to previous posts this morning: Will they be "Free Range Chics"?

Retired Army
Retired Army 09/20/12 - 05:23 am
Punday Sep 20th

No matter how much you push the envelope, it'll still be stationery.

seenitB4
seenitB4 09/20/12 - 05:25 am
The Debates are coming next month---whoopie do da

The topics for the first 2012 presidential debate were announced on Wednesday by moderator Jim Lehrer.

Lehrer, who has moderated a total of 11 debates, made the announcement through the Commission on Presidential Debates. The 90-minute October 3rd debate will be divided into six 15-minute segments.

Lehrer said the first three segments will focus on the economy. The last three segments will focus on "health care, the role of government, and governing."

President Barack Obama and Republican presidential nominee Mitt Romney will debate a total of three times in October. For the first time in 20 years, a woman was selected to moderate a presidential debate. CNN's Candy Crowley will moderate the second presidential debate between Obama and Romney. CBS' Bob Schieffer will moderate the third forum.

seenitB4
seenitB4 09/20/12 - 05:33 am
Just wondering..

Will we see a Sanders & Roundtree debate on local tv.....that would be interesting...or debate in an article on here...

seenitB4
seenitB4 09/20/12 - 05:40 am
FInally

A group of local businessmen met Wednesday to form a committee to keep the name “Augusta” in the new university being formed by the Georgia Board of Regents.

Don't know who you are but thank you....maybe we need to know the names so we can give your business some business...so to speak..:)

seenitB4
seenitB4 09/20/12 - 06:00 am
102 years old & still going strong....gotta love her...

Pop math quiz: If you cherished and maintained the same car for 63 years and you changed your own oil every 3,000 miles, how much money would you save?

Answer: A lot.

Just ask Margaret Dunning, a 102-year-old Michigan woman who’s been making headlines after her energetic appearance at a classic car show in Canton, Ohio, over the weekend. Dunning attended the show with her baby: a 1930 Packard 740 Roadster that she purchased in 1949 and restored to mint condition. She talked happily about how she’s been changing her own oil and spark plugs all these years.

“I love the old cars,” Dunning told The Akron Beacon Journal. “I love the smell of gasoline. It runs in my veins.”

OpenCurtain
OpenCurtain 09/20/12 - 06:13 am
Regarding all the MISC signs along the road

I know of a few counties in GA. that turned the fly by night and local businesses that slap up signs everywhere along the roadways, into a revenue stream.

They passed a County Ordnance requiring a a display permit, rules on when and where they could be placed and a $100 fine per sign for violators.

Their Code Enforcement people went after the revenue stream like piranha's.

But of course the Politicians exempted themselves.

dade30906
dade30906 09/20/12 - 06:22 am
After running through nearly

After running through nearly every possible way to embarrass himself on foreign policy, Mitt Romney must have been eager to return to reminding voters how out of touch he is with average Americans on the economy. Romney thinks middle income is $250.000 a year! I wish. Of course he thinks that. He makes more than that from speeches and considers it couch change. You can't even build a decent car elevator for $ 250.000 of course, nearly 96 percent of Americans make less than $200,000 - $ 250,000 a year - the amount both major parties typically use to define as the lower bound of a " rich " American's income. Romney is tone deaf,of course, but the outrage that ensured actually helped him mask the lie at the heart of what he was saying , Romney believes that he can cut taxes on the rich in away that is deficit - neutral because of that same old Republican bull - produced magic: Namely, " The voodoo economics of the Regan era, the wishful thinking of President George W. Bush's 2001 and 2003 tax cuts that helped turn a surplus into the deficit now weighing the nation's economy, It was a lie when Regan and Bush sold it. And now it's a twice - proven lie that Romney is still selling. The difference is Bush and Regan ran on their tax cuts without pretending that the rich wouldn't be paying lower rates( they just pretended that somehow this would benefit the middle class).

seenitB4
seenitB4 09/20/12 - 06:27 am
OpenCurtain
OpenCurtain 09/20/12 - 06:33 am
Some Older cars last

and there use to be some cars that last forever.

But when the price tags hit $35K+ for a new family car. Or 1/3 of the cost of a house every 5 years. We agreed no more, and started purchasing 2nd hand well maintained older cars for under $5K.

OpenCurtain
OpenCurtain 09/20/12 - 06:43 am
Name 1 Poor or Middle Class elected official

at the State or Federal Representative, Senator, or President level?

Give up?

But that does not keep them from pretending to be deeply in touch with us.

Mayor's race historic, controversial

Hardie Davis is still waiting to take office after winning a mayoral race that featured no white candidates and saw one of his opponents drop out the day before the election.