Rants & Raves

Comments from readers:

IN REFERENCE TO all the tirades concerning Georgia Regents Univer­sity: Please, my fellow Au­gustans, one battle at a time. Many are still fighting the Civil War. Are we living in the 21st century?

REP. JOHN BARROW supports Obama while at the same time hiding out and trying to not be noticed whenever Obama’s name is mentioned.

“PATCH DEAL HITS snag.” Ain’t it amazing how government people can’t do anything right, but those same people, once outside of government, do just fine. What’s the difference? As long as people work for government, they’re gambling taxpayer money, not their own.

HOW MANY MILLIONS of taxpayer dollars went into new Richmond County courthouse designs that make stairs dangerous so people trip on them? Or is all the tripping caused by dumb trippers who try to climb stairs and talk on cellphones at the same time? Or is it both?

AS IF THINGS AREN’T bad enough, WGAC (We Grumble and Complain) radio just seems to continuously beat the airwaves with negative reminders.

TO THE LADY who dug up the newly planted shrubs before dawn at the Friedman Branch Li­brary: You were caught on camera. These plants were provided and planted by members of the Iris Garden Club. You should try contributing rather than stealing.

DON’T VOTE FOR the candidate with your heart. Vote with your knowledge of the candidate.

WHERE, OH WHERE IS the Columbia County mosquito control unit? I read all sorts of stuff in the paper about Rich­mond County mosquito control: How great they are, how quickly they respond to taxpayers’ request for spraying. I never thought I’d be envious of anything in Richmond County, but I sure do envy them this service. What’s going on in Columbia County? Where’s the mosquito, dudes?

IF YOU DON’T LIKE the fact that rich people don’t pay enough taxes, don’t blame them, blame the tax code.

RANT TO ALL doctors who will not take Medicare patients. As I recall, when they took their oath to become a doctor, it was to take care of the sick. Without Medicare and Medicaid patients, where do they think they will be when the rest of the employed patients who are insured lose their jobs?

Comments (95)

dstewartsr
20388
dstewartsr 09/18/12 - 07:53 pm

"... when they took their oath

... to become a doctor, it was to take care of the sick." Yes, true. But it wasn't a vow of poverty.

dstewartsr
20388
dstewartsr 09/18/12 - 07:58 pm

"... rich people don’t pay enough taxes..."

And poor people pay none. Some people get taxes paid TO them. It ain't going to change; the rich will always find a way to minimize their exposure, the poor will be kept afloat --just enough to keep them hoping for more-- so they will be beholding to the status quo.

dstewartsr
20388
dstewartsr 09/18/12 - 08:00 pm

"WGAC (We Grumble and Complain)

... radio just seems to continuously beat the airwaves with negative reminders." Ummm, thought of changing stations?

Jake
Jake 09/18/12 - 09:50 pm

WGAC

Back in the late 70's I used to have an alarm clock radio and it was set for 6am to WGAC. I was awakened with the sound of a rooster crowing and Farmer Chambers talking. Loved it.
Then there was George Fisher with his "marching the kids off to school" bit which was followed by Hans Peterson and his entertaining banter with Captain Pequod, etc. I remember Hans told a story of his wife, who was from California, about the time she made her cornbread and always put sugar in it. He told her, "Honey, in the south that isn't cornbread, that is cake".
Also Pat Mulherin and his calling of the Evans High football games and the College Football Scoreboard which had to use tape delay because of all the profanity that idiots would use.
Nice station at that time, I don't know about it now though.

Jake
Jake 09/18/12 - 10:44 pm

WAUG

"The big Waug in Aug". Now there was a radio station. 1050 on the radio dial. "The nifty ten-fifty". It was the premier soul music station in the early to late 60's. With DJ's like Mal Your Pal (the late Mal Cook), Flash Gordon (who is thankfully still with us) and PaPa Jive (don't know what happened to him), they brought us the soul music scene as it was gloriously unfolding from the early Motown and Stax days. Every week it seemed like another great song was unleashed on us. Us white boys ate it up even though we were not the target of their audience.
They would sometimes broadcast live segments from the recreation center of Sunset Homes on Saturday mornings featuring Leroy Lloyd and the Swinging Dukes with Little Genie Brooks or Mickey Murray.
And who could forget the commercials for Clarence Williamson's Place where "The wine is fine and the beer is full of good cheer and don't forget they will cash your payroll checks". I wonder how much rent money was spent at that place.
I thought Augusta was a pretty special place to grow up in back in the 60's, at least in hind-sight.

allhans
21985
allhans 09/18/12 - 11:39 pm

Who is fighting the Civil

Who is fighting the Civil War. THe regular people didn't want that war in the first place. They wanted their jobs back. You know, picking cotton, pulling corn.
All the big plantaion owners that came here from the North and took over all the land... the men were shot if they refused to fight.
It's surprising what you find out when you go back through the actual letters and papers, you can find a lot of them in court houses when you research your family tree.
You find out just how little you know about actual events.

allhans
21985
allhans 09/18/12 - 11:46 pm

I have found that I am often

I have found that I am often seen by a P. A. now.
We will probably see a lot more of those.

KSL
KSL 09/19/12 - 01:19 am

George Fisher and the marching kids off to

School........that was gag for me. Trooper Terry. When I was growing up in the 60's near Atlanta, it was Officer Don. I didn't care to watch him.

KSL
KSL 09/19/12 - 01:36 am

George Fisher seem like a

George Fisher seemed like a very nice man. But the marching kids to school......

Jake, husband wants to know if you remember the Farmer Jenkins show that preceded the school march. We moved to the CSRA right out of college, set our clock radio, he hears that and said to himself, "what have I done?"

rebellious
rebellious 09/19/12 - 01:54 am

Jake

Earlier, like from 1962 thru whenever, George Fisher was on WBIA. The call letters stood for We Believe In Augusta. We had an old transister on the top of the refridgerator. Didn't everyone? Gosh, that was the first time I heard those stupid dogs barking Jingle Bells. And I knew if I was on time or not by the school march. Zipped up, tucked in, out the door they go. In my senior years I realize it was as much for the parents as it was the kids. Heck of a memory. I think Mary Liz was with him, cause Harley Drew was over on WBBQ as Handsome Harley. Just Kidding, Mary Liz ain't that old.

shrimp for breakfast
shrimp for breakfast 09/19/12 - 03:32 am

To the last ranter

I agree with you 100%.
It's all about the mighty dollar. Their oath says "Do no Harm". Well I guess they can't do any harm if they refuse to treat a Medicare patient.

readnow
readnow 09/19/12 - 04:38 am

last rant

how does it "Do no Harm" if they wont treat patients because paying is difficult? That does lots of harm

shrimp for breakfast
shrimp for breakfast 09/19/12 - 06:05 am

readnow

You're right. I'm on Medicare and I haven't had any problems. The good doctors outnuber the bad ones 100 to 1.

shrimp for breakfast
shrimp for breakfast 09/19/12 - 06:07 am

Morning all

Where's seenit and my homeboy Riverman1?
I miss reading your posts. Wake up, get your coffee and start posting or Imight die from boredom!
DIG?

seenitB4
seenitB4 09/19/12 - 06:46 am

Heh heh heh

Sometimes you have to recharge your brain cells---I'm on recharge right now shrimp--:)

shrimp for breakfast
shrimp for breakfast 09/19/12 - 06:50 am

I understand

That's what caffine is for! I'm on my third mug!

seenitB4
seenitB4 09/19/12 - 07:03 am

Civil War

Still fighting you say...heh heh....well this time it would turn out a different way cause we have most of the guns in the SOUTH--YEEHAW!!

seenitB4
seenitB4 09/19/12 - 07:06 am

Funny thing about the SOUTH!

People talked about the South ---saying things like--hillbillys...goobers..& much more BUT they sho do want to retire here....do you ever hear of a southerner saying he can't wait to retire so he can move to the NORTH??
Never-ever have I heard That!!

shrimp for breakfast
shrimp for breakfast 09/19/12 - 07:09 am

Seenit

That is hilarious!!!
I say there should be a war between the East and the West. Or how about the Northeast and Southwest!

seenitB4
seenitB4 09/19/12 - 07:09 am
hotsaucemom
hotsaucemom 09/19/12 - 07:11 am

IF YOU DON'T LIKE the fact

IF YOU DON'T LIKE the fact that rich people don't pay enough taxes, don't blame them, blame the Republicans in Congress.

seenitB4
seenitB4 09/19/12 - 07:14 am

The rant said..

Lady???-----nahhhh--shame on her......now that is taking gardening too far..

seenitB4
seenitB4 09/19/12 - 07:26 am

Taxes

I am sooo tired about people saying the rich not paying taxes.....please let us go to a fair tax & let EVERYBODY pitch in...I mean EBBYBODY---every dog cat person animal....you get my drift...ALL PAY!
Don't care how much ya make either----if you make $10,000 a year you will still pay something!

constituent
constituent 09/19/12 - 07:19 am

Congressman Barrrow please

Congressman Barrrow please hold a press conference or run a TV ad and let these Richmond County Tea Party extremism know that you endorse President Obama concept and you're not hiding, but you do got Republican Lee Anderson running from you in a debate. " funny"

Karen Slater-McDaniel
Karen Slater-McDaniel 09/19/12 - 07:31 am

First, do no harm

I can tell you from a physicians reimbursement stand point v. the cost to run a practice where accepting Medicare & Medicaid becomes an issue.

Medicare reimbursement keeps going down. For example : if you get a laparoscopic cholecystectomy (your gallbladder taken out) an average initial consult is about $205.00, the surgical fee (just for the surgeon) is around $2,300.00. Reimbursement from Medicare is approximat ly $500.00-600.00 combined. Medicaid (Amerigroup or Wellcare) is approximately $750.00 combined ... however the global period (the number of days the surgeon has to see the patient post op without being able to charge except due to an unrelated post op medical issue) is 90 days. It is not a farce but a fact that Medicaid patients ESPECIALLY have more health problems than your typical patient (correlate it however you want; lifestyle, diet, poor preventative care). And Medicare patients are over 65 or disabled (meaning typically more health issues). Now add to the low rate of reimbursement the time away from other patients because you're dealing with patients with multiple health issues (ex: diabetes (they don't heal properly), obesity, pregnancy, etc) which lowers your income potential, payroll, transcription, answering service,utilities, loan payments, supplies, malpractice insurance, workers' comp insurance, BOP insurance, etc. & you'll soon see the outgoing is close to the income ... what is left is the doctors income.

Some physicians may be raking in the income but I promise NOT ALL DO.

seenitB4
seenitB4 09/19/12 - 07:35 am

The r/r said...

Vote with your knowledge of the candidate.

True enough but very seldom do we hear the details we need......they floss over---dodge--side step--coverup---double speak---confuse---pretend----we are like lambs going to the slaughter.....the handlers handle tooooo much.

I wish we had someone with GUTS to say....I will have to raise your taxes---I will have to make a decision you won't like---but I will do my best to be fair to all...

shrimp for breakfast
shrimp for breakfast 09/19/12 - 07:42 am

How I vote

I vote for the person who's taller.
If they're the same size then I vote for the one with the prettiest wife/husband.
If that's a tie then I vote for the one who has the most hair.
If that's a tie then I vote for the one that drives the coolest car.
If that's a tie then I just don't vote!
Basinga!

seenitB4
seenitB4 09/19/12 - 07:51 am

hahah the coolest car..

I just saw an email with a new Mercedes w/o a steering wheel or gas pedals....it had a JOY STICK......said this would be the future cars....everything located on the stick.......the kids would adapt to this w/o a problem...but the oldies---nahhh not so much!
Please don't take my wheel away---I can't handle that kind of change-----my ole mind won't adapt....I will have to keep my car forever.

dichotomy
dichotomy 09/19/12 - 08:00 am

Barrow Votes With Pelosi.

I see Barrow just voted NO on the bill to save our military from being gutted by the sequestration. Our troops, who were abandoned with no protection in Afghanistan by Obama, are dying every day and our embassies are burning all over the mideast and Barrow still votes the Democrat partisan line as instructed by Pelosi. He would rather gut our military than cut spending on useless government programs.

Whether you like Lee Anderson or not, just remember that John Barrow is an Obama supporting, Pelosi voting, liberal tax and spend wealth redistributing Democrat.

shrimp for breakfast
shrimp for breakfast 09/19/12 - 08:42 am

I say

Lets raise taxes by 50% and go on a spending spree. We could buy a bunch of cool stuff!
Mercedes for everyone! No car insurance. The government could pay for it.
A chicken in every pot. Or down south a chicken in every deep fryer!
Free college! Free gas, free health care, free houses, free beer, free guns, free lottery tickets, free airfare, free rocket propelled grenades.
The only thing that won't be free is freedom.