Rants & Raves

GIVE CREDIT TO Dr. Ricardo Azziz. After all, he was able to change something in Augusta, and we all know very well, that nothing had changed in Augusta in the past 40 years or so. Therefore, I will endorse Azziz for mayor.

ELLIOT BOULEVARD and Canton Road in south Richmond County need to be resurfaced. They are covered in potholes. Where is that 1-cent sales tax money going? We need better roads out here in Richmond County.

I AM NOT A politician but I do have common sense. To make the economy better and for us taxpayers to have more money to spend on necessities, why not place a cap price on gasoline, oil and fuels?

TAKE A GOOD LOOK at all the people who signed up for Medicaid and freebies that taxpayers are paying for. Take a look at their gold jewelry, necklaces, earrings, all the fine clothes and the cars they drive. Also look at the kids getting free lunch and also are wearing $80-90 shoes. Look at how much taxpayer money they are getting.

THEY OUGHT TO take the 411 information and completely get rid of it because when you call they can’t even give you a correct address or phone number. Telecommunication is not what they say it is.

I AM 90 YEARS OLD. I worked at the Augusta Arsenal helping make guns for our troops, and I was proud of what I did. It later became Augusta State, which I am also proud of. I am not proud that they are taking Augusta out of this because we women worked in these factories and we helped our nation.

WE GET EVERY BIT as many telemarketing calls now as before the Do Not Call program started. When you do call the number to complain, that number is blanked and you have initiated the call. They have you either way; you have lost. Call and write your representative.

THE SHERIFF CAMPAIGN is about race. Ronald Strength is showing his true colors investigating voter fraud. That was so stupid of him believing Mrs. Moore was promised a car for four votes.

dstewartsr
20388
dstewartsr 09/17/12 - 07:01 pm
"WHY HAS THE national news media

... made public every single facet of Romney’s personal life" Short answer: They're in the tank like they were last election. Case in point the evening "news" ran a complete clip of SNL mocking Romney as "news". Deja vu of last election national cycle. We've got the Obamessiahs on every late night venue with idolatrously fawning interviews; daytime talk is one repetitive O worship service.

dstewartsr
20388
dstewartsr 09/17/12 - 07:05 pm
"I worked at the Augusta Arsenal

... I was proud of what I did."

Well, according to your new master, that makes you an uncool rube/hick/redneck.

dstewartsr
20388
dstewartsr 09/17/12 - 07:08 pm
"I will endorse Dr. Azziz for Mayor!"

Seconded. Put him somewhere has no influence, no one listens, and he can do no damage.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 09/17/12 - 09:14 pm
@4

Yes, a very good factual Rant.

Now

What can we do about it?

I Know, I know. Vote for the King SMNCICBHO and they will not be getting your tax dollar any more......because there will be no Dollars!

rebellious
20165
rebellious 09/18/12 - 12:07 am
From another article

I posted this on another article relative to the big Berkman Road realignment. Beg your pardon, but putting it over here cause it bears reading.

I will personally organize protests and civic disturbances if the Berkman Road alignment effort happens before the Windsor Spring Road widening from Tobacco Road to Highway 88. One has been on the books since 1988, Berkman Road is just now being discussed. Read this article from the AC from June of this year:

"In 1988, city planners warned Jenkins Memorial CME Church to build far back from the edge of Windsor Spring Road. The road would be widened soon, they said. Twenty-four years later, the pastor and churchgoers still haven’t seen that happen.

Now, state and local officials say, federal and state funding is secured and the widening project is closer to reality. Voter approval on July 31 of a special 1 percent transportation tax referendum could guarantee that the project isn’t delayed any longer.

“We want the road widened,” said the Rev. Timothy Green, pastor of the church at 4218 Windsor Spring Road. “We’re trying to push forward because it’s too much congestion. People can’t get around.”

Funds were allocated to begin the project’s design in Augusta’s second special purpose local option sales tax in 1991 and additional money was added in phases three and four of the tax.

While the project waited on full funding, the cost for widening the road increased.

According to The Augusta Chronicle archives, the project’s cost was estimated at $20 million in 2005. Now, $43 million is budgeted for two phases of road widening and two bridge replacements.

According to the Georgia Department of Transporta­tion, the project has been expedited because of
vehicle congestion and numerous crashes. Two lanes will be widened to four from Tobacco Road to Georgia Highway 88.

Krystal Stovall-Dixon, the GDOT project manager, said cost estimates could have increased because material costs were inflated or values of property needed for acquisition changed.

Augusta Commissioner Joe Jackson said past city transportation engineers underbudgeted the large construction project, so the widening wasn’t started.

“The money that was earmarked for Windsor Spring Road got moved somewhere else,” Jackson said.

According to Engineering Director Abie Ladson, the construction portion was never funded. Earlier allotments from the tax were spent on design and planning.

Deputy Finance Director Tim Schroer said tax collections for Windsor Spring Road were mostly spent. Unused money is funneled into a special account where it can be used for another project approved by the city commission.

Like Jackson, some residents perceive that tax money for the project was misused.

Residents have long voiced concerns about traffic problems, especially near Diamond Lakes Regional Park, but the road was never improved.

Sammie Sias, a long-time Hephzibah-area activist, said traffic after an event at Diamonds Lake can be “total mayhem” and the project is “way overdue.”

“The money needs to stop vanishing. The money needs to stay where it’s supposed to be,” Sias said.

Jackson, who served on the regional roundtable that compiled the list of projects, said $6 million for the widening was included in the referendum list, a tactic that guarantees the project’s completion if the vote passes. Under the Transportation Investment Act, all projects on the approved list must be completed.

“All these projects have to be delivered,” Jackson said.

Jason O’Rouke, political director for Connect Georgia, a Georgia Chamber of Commerce entity created to promote the tax referendum, said most regions considering the tax referendum included projects that were already funded.

If the tax passes, the $6 million earmarked for Windsor Spring must be used in place of an equal amount of federal funding that’s been secured for the project.

“That (federal) money will be freed up for other transportation projects, but it has to stay in the region,” he said.

According to GDOT, $33.7 million was funded federally and $5.8 million comes from state money with additional contributions from other sources."

Commissioner Guilfoyle, 24 years? I know you have only been in office for 2 years, so it's not all on you. But you are now "the man". You don't need a phone call from me to know this must happen and we are tired of the dollars being diverted to Sebastion Way or Alexander Drive or other projects. I hope you don't lose too much frontage of your house, but we are watching and the election is just 2 years away. Oh, and Commissioner Mason, where the hell are you? Let's get this in process and open up access to South Augusta. How about you two represent the district constituents who voted you in office. What about it? You in?

WE are tired of playing second fiddle and paying for front row seats.

rebellious
20165
rebellious 09/17/12 - 11:53 pm
Shame on Me

Super District Grady Smith..... Where you been on this. Sure would appreciate you representing us poor, lowly taxpayers out here on the widening of Windsor Spring Road. For God's sake, do you want to force a seccesation from the county? Or is it easier to just pay some attention, just a flipping little bit, to the hard working taxpaying residents (oh did I mention voting) people out here in South Augusta. Pay as much time and attention to us as you do recording the commercials on WGAC for your company.

rebellious
20165
rebellious 09/17/12 - 11:55 pm
Damn

That feels good to get that off my chest! Now I would love to see results.

rebellious
20165
rebellious 09/18/12 - 12:03 am
OH and News Flash

Old Waynesboro Road at 56 has become so congested it is unreal. People feeding into Crosscreek and Covington and the back entrance to Goshen Plantation, in addition to McDade Road have created a veritible roadblock. Hello, anybody looking at this? This is the next major Choke Point for the 8th district. Think Growth, not revitalization all the time.

Wayne.........Do you live out here or not? Whatcha doin? Come on. look at what needs to happen to make things grow, move and sustain! Come on Dude, I ain't a genius!

countyman
19127
countyman 09/18/12 - 01:14 am
GADOT built the $30 million

GADOT built the $30 million Saint Sebastian Way, and was behind the $10 million widening of Alexander rd... Those projects in the inner city and West Augusta together only equal $40 million.. GADOT is spending $37.5 million on the I-520 project in South Augusta by itself...

I'm glad to see the discussion has changed, and now the tax money is going to West Augusta(Berckman rd. Alexander Dr) instead of the usual downtown comments...

The roadwork at Doug Barnard pkwy is back underway, the $25 million Mike Padgett construction begins next year, and Windsor Spring should begin in 2013/2015.. It's an apples to oranges comparison between Windsor Spring and Berkman rd.. The Windsor Spring project is much larger, needs more right of way, and consist of two different phases..

seenitB4
seenitB4 09/18/12 - 07:49 am

COUNTYMAN YOU CAN'T SUGAR COAT THIS---Spread flowers on it if you want to but what has happened will still STINK!

I know Rebel----the protests will happen----the boiling point has been reached by many in the outskirts of Augusta.

Retired Army
Retired Army 09/18/12 - 08:00 am
Punday

"She was only a whiskey maker, but he loved her still."

seenitB4
seenitB4 09/18/12 - 08:03 am
Covington Ga

Now now Covington----can't you find other work for the police instead of checking out breast feeding mothers....GEEZ--
worry about the gun holding punks why doncha!!

seenitB4
seenitB4 09/18/12 - 08:13 am
How can they??

How can any media say the attacks on our Embassies were not planned----are we comatose over here that we can believe anything the media spews at us....

seenitB4
seenitB4 09/18/12 - 08:22 am
Wait a minute --let me put some happy thoughts in here.....

I promised myself I would stay in a happy mood ---doesn't matter if the news outlets are givng Pres O a pass on the Embassy bombings----doesn't matter if Augusta is side stepping the needs in S Augusta---doesn't matter if roads have been on the books since 1988 & they are still sideswiped...NOOOOO---no worry---just happy thoughts :)

OpenCurtain
OpenCurtain 09/18/12 - 08:42 am
Rebellious - brings up a very valid point on shifting $$$ around

Another example is Augusta's Death Road on Hwy 56 between Tobacco Rd and Brown Rd. In fact it has been documented in the A.C. to have more deaths per year than other local roadways including Augusta's I-20, I-520, Washington Rd. and Gordon Hwy.
Who has ever heard of a 4 lane hwy, full of logging trucks doing 50+ that does not have a safety divider, or turn lane of ANY kind?

We have school buses on a daily basis, that almost get run into picking up and dropping of south side kids.

Is the Berkman Rd. more important that the safety of children and families?

Is the South Side only expected to pay our tax taxes, so the money can be funneled elsewhere?

Regarding Berkman Road.
It seems the Local Politicos, ARC & GA Gov. Mgr's just about orgasm, when they can do something for the Augusta National.

I am willing to bet, I live to see, the Augusta Nation purchase enough surrounding business property and homes. Then ask the City Government, AT TAXPAYERS EXPENSE, to close off Washington Rd between Lake Omstead and Berkman Rd. Then reroute traffic via Riverside Pkwy. to Berkman Road or downtown.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 09/18/12 - 08:31 am
Roundabouts

Rebellious posted:

You need some traffic circles out there. They'll smooth out the traffic.

seenitB4
seenitB4 09/18/12 - 08:37 am
Roundabouts

We do have some near us & I like them now....didn't think they would work at first but I am pleasantly surprised..... I usually find them in congested neighborhoods ......

OpenCurtain
OpenCurtain 09/18/12 - 08:44 am
Traffic circles and Logging Trucks

What an interesting concept on a 50mph Hwy.

seenitB4
seenitB4 09/18/12 - 08:48 am
open

It would have to be a HUGE traffic circle for the logging trucks......but by golly it dang sure would slow them down.:)

btw...Elliot Blvd is near Windsor Spring & Rosier Rd area-----a forgotten no mans land to the commish...FIX THE DANG RD.

seenitB4
seenitB4 09/18/12 - 08:51 am
open said...

Regarding Berkman Road.

Do they REALLY??----hahhahha....we could sell tickets to that!

HenryWalker3rd
HenryWalker3rd 09/18/12 - 09:14 am
Rant 4

Greed is greed....greed knows no "classification".

Coporate, welfare, etc., its all the same.

seenitB4
seenitB4 09/18/12 - 09:14 am
Just wondering...

When will people stop blaming Sheriff Strength for EVERYTHING that happens in Richmond county.....pleeeeze folks......get a grip here.....can we blame him for the potholes too....ya make me wanta do something nice for the man.......just because he has taken so much crap in this newspaper!
Sheriff Strength I'll buy your lunch next time I'm in town--promise.

seenitB4
seenitB4 09/18/12 - 09:16 am
B4 someone complains

I'm leaving---bye bye....post away....had to get mine in early!

Riverman1
Riverman1 09/18/12 - 10:00 am
RSVP Today for Me

Y'all enjoy. WORK FOR ME. Don't talk about me....Well, maybe a little.

Karen Slater-McDaniel
Karen Slater-McDaniel 09/18/12 - 10:19 am
RM! ... You are a blatherskite!

RIVER!!! I am going to box your dang ears! You gotta big ole mouth sir ... I told you to keep it on the down low but noooooooooooo ... you gotta be a poop starter & you know EXACTLY what you are doing ... Pfft! lol

harley_52
harley_52 09/18/12 - 10:34 am
"Greed is greed....

....greed knows no "classification".

Coporate, welfare, etc., its all the same."

Greed is the same as corporate welfare? Can you explain that please?

I was thinking "greed" was a personal characteristic and "corporate welfare" results from perfectly legal tax breaks provided, by the government, to get businesses to pursue certain business strategies and practices the government desires.

Where am I going wrong here? Or are you suggesting corporations who follow government desires and take advantage of those government sanctioned, legal, tax breaks are therefore "greedy?"

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 09/18/12 - 10:42 am
Roundabouts

Busses and trucks seem to negotiate them just fine in Europe.

Riverman1
Riverman1 09/18/12 - 10:43 am
KSM, I was very careful with

KSM, I was very careful with THAT. Ha..but maybe a little Freudian thing to see...ah, not going there. Read back, as I MEANT, I can't be online much today due to work. Y'all have fun online. What am I going to do with ya?

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 09/18/12 - 10:44 am
Definition

That was the best definition of corporate welfare that I have ever read, Harley.

But the concept is sad. Yes, it proves what kind of economy we have — fascism. That's where the corporations are privately owned, but government controlled. It's been that way since WWII.

But the Obama administration kicked it up a notch by using government money to buy stock in several companies, either to bail them out (GM, AIG, etc.) or to start them up (Solyndra et. al.). But the ultimate goal is government control and power.

dichotomy
dichotomy 09/18/12 - 10:46 am
I think rebellious has pretty

I think rebellious has pretty much covered things this morning.

Damn, it's good to hear some other folks beating the Southside drum.....and pointing out that Alvin Mason and Grady Smith have no loyalty and no leadership for the South Augusta folks who put them in office.

Board rejects fine arts charter school

Organizers behind a proposed fine arts charter school in Columbia County said they are optimistic state officials will approve their plan to open a school in 2015 - a plan that was unanimously ...