Rants & Raves

TROPICAL STORMS AND hurricanes are not the reason for rising fuel prices. Greed is the real and only reason! Greed that will destroy this country and the world.

RANT TO THE person making rude comments Sept. 1 in the handicap parking at Bed Bath & Beyond on Robert C. Daniel. Just because someone looks or appears to be in good health does not mean they are.

IS IT WORTH American lives and money in Iraq and Afghanistan? If politicians actually planned to win wars, it might be worth it, but the U.S. stopped winning wars after World War II.

WALGREEN PHARMACIST Matthew at Peach Or­chard Road is most patient and professional. He was pleasant to everyone, and even though I felt terrible he made me calm and confident in his service.

I AM SO GLAD TO SEE people setting up community gardens! Now if we can just utilize those abandoned city properties as gardens, with prisoners or probationers doing the work, we could have enough food to feed all the homeless and a lot of the poor, I’ll bet.

REMEMBER, ROUNDTREE has not been elected sheriff. People are leaving comments as if he has already been elected. I for one am sick of the way people are phrasing their comments.

ARE YOU BETTER OFF now than you were three years ago? I am very careful with my retirement savings, and yet after three years of Obama, my savings is down over 40 percent.

AZZIZ AND OBAMA have the same thing in common: no leadership, only dictatorship.

WHAT IS SHOCKING ARE the fees that Augusta State charges, and they are not even a top-tier school.

RAVES TO NORTH AUGUSTA Public Safety for ticketing illegally parked cars at the River View boat ramp. Those parking spaces are clearly marked for boat trailers only.

RANT TO THE FAMILY who thought the Dumpster at Marvin United Methodist Church was for their personal use. Now we have to pay to have all the junk, sofas, table, bookcase you left hauled off, not to mention that we can’t put any of the church’s trash in because you filled up the inside. The police have been notified, and you will be charged if found.

Jake
Jake 09/16/12 - 06:46 pm
Community gardens

Utilizing abandoned spaces for something worthwhile in noble indeed. Also using incarcerated personnel for the task is even better.

Jake
Jake 09/16/12 - 06:51 pm
Dumpster

Things like this really burn me up. At least twice a year I have to get the city to come out and remove abandoned property from the sidewalk at our business. TV's, couches, paint cans, etc. We are thinking of installing cameras so we can catch these inconsiderate jerks. Maybe the church should install these as well.

seenitB4
seenitB4 09/16/12 - 08:06 pm
Cooked in the squat

Ole saying & I found this....
My Grandma Murphy left us way too young. She left a cherished memory packed with profundity. Biscuits were her metaphor.

Four eyes (hers and mine) gazed expectantly through a stove window at a newly inserted batch. There they lay all squatted down and ready to rise. Sadly, these flowered delicacies never reached their destiny or my palate. Why, Grandma? I asked. Her reply was, “Son, those biscuits are like people, people without the right ingredients. They get hit by the heat and they get cooked in the squat!” This memory lived on much longer than Grandma.

------------------------------------------------------------
Don't know what made me think about this....but I do think some folks are cooked in the squat...goodnight all

greggarn
greggarn 09/16/12 - 10:09 pm
AUG Cops

I was out at the Arts in the Hearts today and I noticed the Richmond County cops that were working the event were lets just say a little on the heavy side. Its somewhat embarrassing with the buttons on your shirts are straining to stay closed... come on guys we need to loose a little, what happen to fitness requirements ?

Riverman1
Riverman1 09/17/12 - 05:32 am
Oil companies

Realize oil companies are publicly traded entities. If some think they are making fantastic profits they can buy stock in them as many teachers' and retirement funds do. Start penalizing the oil companies and the stockholders will get rid of the stock, taking money from the company and guess what.........gas prices go higher.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 09/17/12 - 07:18 am
Good Morning America, Friends and TSD's

Here are my feelings for today.

Case I'm Gone Tomorrow

ONE day a man's wife died, and on that clear, cold morning, in the warmth of their bedroom, the man was struck with the pain of learning that sometimes there isn't "anymore".

No more hugs, no more special moments to celebrate together, no more phone calls just to chat, no more "just one minute." Sometimes, what we care about the most gets all used up and goes away, never to return before we can say good-bye, say "I love you." So while we have it, it's best we love it, care for it, fix it when it's broken and heal it when it's sick.

This is true for marriage.....And old cars... And children with bad report cards, and dogs with bad hips, and aging parents and grandparents. We keep them because they are worth it, because we are worth it.

Some things we keep -- like a best friend who moved away or a sister-in-law after divorce. There are just some things that make us happy, no matter what. Life is important, like people we know who are special. And so, we keep them close!
Suppose one morning you never wake up, do all your friends know how you really feel?

The important thing is to let every one of your friends know your true feelings, even if you think they don't love you back.

So, just in case I'm gone tomorrow, please vote against the King SMNCICBHO!

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 09/17/12 - 07:25 am
@2

When I see a 18 or 19 year old girls jump out of a car in a handicap parking space and run to the store....it is so hard to think what could be her handicap!

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 09/17/12 - 07:29 am
@11 Personal Use!

There is no such thing anymore. You pay for it - I Use It -

palmetto1008
palmetto1008 09/17/12 - 07:44 am
If anyone doubts Greggarn's

If anyone doubts Greggarn's word above, check out the second photo here: http://chronicle.augusta.com/news/metro/2010-09-30/police-must-prove-sho...
Donut anyone??

seenitB4
seenitB4 09/17/12 - 08:26 am
Just a thought guys...

I've been thinking (don't fall off your chairs cgee & rm)....sometimes the comments we make on here have everlasting effects on innocents caught up in the drama......a couple of articles brought this to my atention.....
Just maybe that is why cooked in the squat came to mind last night-----can we ever change---can we think of the positive sometimes----is it really normal to dwell on the negative.......just wondering..

I'm going to give it a try.....it won't be a lovefest for me but I will try to see the positive more....
Anyway good am to all.....thanks rebel for your input last night on the article Steve put on here....

Great going Steve..:)

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 09/17/12 - 08:33 am
Rant 1

The reason gas prices rise whenever there is a hurricane in the gulf is supply and demand. Supply falls when the rigs are abandoned while demand goes up with the panic buying. ECO 101.

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 09/17/12 - 08:34 am
And now the important stuff...

Good morning everybody. Don't forget to thank a LEO today. KSM you know what to do....

dstewartsr
20388
dstewartsr 09/17/12 - 08:41 am
RE: 08:33, "...supply and demand."

I think most people get that. What bothers me is how many will turn around and accept that drilling here in America will not effect the price of fuel. Eight rigs closed --the price went up with the announcement, not the actual closing-- and there was a 16% increase. Yet, drilling 60-70 wells now forbidden by imperial fiat will not do anything for the price?

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 09/17/12 - 08:52 am
Mr Stewart

You speak with much intelligence. We always hear "but it will be to years before any of that oil actually enters the market" What if the EPA had let us drill ten years ago, or the Emperor hadn't put the brakes on drilling that was approved?

dstewartsr
20388
dstewartsr 09/17/12 - 09:02 am
Tks, RK

I just wonder where we'd be if Jimmay Cah-tuh had been born a man. Although The Obamessiah has been styled the appeaser-in-chief, it was under Carter we gave away the Panama Canal, and then stabbed our chief ally in the mideast, Iran, (Israel assumed that role by default) in the back and gave over the country to fanatics. Every one of the so-called "planted democracies" nurtured by Carter's appeasement policies morphed in a matter of months into the present alliance of rabidly anti-American 'one man, one vote, one time' religious or social dictatorships.

dstewartsr
20388
dstewartsr 09/17/12 - 09:20 am
"... what happen to fitness requirements ?"

Long hours, bad food --most of it fatty and full of empty calories-- insufficient rest, stress. Who has time for a regimen when coming off duty and going straight to a 'second' to get enough money to buy more than the bare necessities an Augusta police salary provides? You start off with a group of physically imposing men, subject them to the daily grind plus load them down with equipment and expect the cast of "Blue Bloods?" Not gonna happen.

Plus, looking at the photos, it's clear some of that bulk is protective vest, another sign of the times. I'm sure the poster could manage a 15 pound vest, a loaded Glock, two spare magazines, a six cell flashlight, two sets of handcuffs, a radio, a Taser, a bear-sized can of pepper spray, and a second hideaway firearm. Oh yeah, you will have to frequently wrestle down some clown high on meth --while keeping your eye on his friends until help arrives-- trying to get a hold of your firearm. And do this while not offending some politically connected clown or group of prey who decide (once the predator is in custody) you're the danger to their community.

Good luck with that.

harley_52
harley_52 09/17/12 - 09:41 am
"What bothers me is....

....how many will turn around and accept that drilling here in America will not effect the price of fuel."

Yeah, it bothers me too.

Have you ever noticed that people who make that claim have one common characteristic? They're all liberals.

People with common sense understand that the more of something you have available, the less it will cost. They also understand if you already own something it's foolish to buy more of it from somebody else, especially if that somebody else hates you and wants to see you dead. These basic truths are obviously incomprehensible by the politically correct, America hating, anti-capitalist liberal mind.

So....we all suffer the consequences.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 09/17/12 - 10:22 am
Elementary School

When I was a kid they taught us that petroleum came from dinosaur bodies. Now they are finding oil miles down under the surface (both sea and land). Does any respectful scientist believe the dinosaur theory any more? Do they still teach it in elementary schools (or high schools, for that matter)?

Retired Army
Retired Army 09/17/12 - 10:38 am
Punday Sep 17th

I thought I saw an eye doctor on an Alaskan island, but it turned out to be an optical Aleutian.

Retired Army
Retired Army 09/17/12 - 10:46 am
Sweet son
Sweet son 09/17/12 - 11:14 am
@SeenitB4: Great Comment about being Positive!

I also find myself having nothing but negative comments come to mind. So many times I just don't bother to comment so that I too won't be looked at as always peeing and moaning about everything!!! There is so much negative going on in our world today that all of us should just stop and be thankful for all that we do have! Have a great day all!

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 09/17/12 - 11:16 am
Dstewart 0841

I think the issue is that some people approach "drilling at home" as if we can corner that supply for our own use.
Obviously, we can't. The companies that would drill it sell the crude on the open market to the highest bidder. The only benefit I see (and would like to have), is the effect on prices via higher supply, reduced crude shipping costs, drilling royalties, etc.
The only long term solution is reduced demand for oil, and with countries like China and India modernizing and building new cars and factories by the millions, I don't see their energy demands going anywhere but up.
We just need to plug along with alternate and renewable energy research to get out from under the thumb of Arab oil.
I would drive a fuel cell car that wouldn't run but 60 mph if it meant putting the Middle East back in tents and riding camels.

daphne3520
daphne3520 09/17/12 - 11:18 am
Rant # 2 is RIGHT!!!!! Example in point....I had

someone confront, yes confront me, in North Augusta about parking in a Handicapped spot, even though I had a State issued Handicapped tag hanging from my rearview mirror. Now, I find HE is a registered sex offender, subsequent to that confrontation! I mean, he went to court in Edgefield County subsequent to that confrontation and pled GUILTY to rape of a 14 year old and got 6 years in the State penitentiary!!!!!!

InChristLove
InChristLove 09/17/12 - 11:26 am
dstewartsr, thank you for

dstewartsr, thank you for your 9:20am post. Wish I could have given you more than one thumbs up!

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 09/17/12 - 11:43 am
Unicorns & Dinosaurs

Thanks, RA, for the link to the cartoon. It puts a lot in perspective.

pep607
pep607 09/17/12 - 11:58 am
The US Constitution

TODAY is the 225th anniversary of the signing of the US Constitution. NO mention in AC anywhere I saw of the occasion or that today is the beginning of Constitution Week in the USA. I hope our teachers are doing a better job. There will be a wreath laying ceremony tomorrow. Maybe we will get a picture of that, if there is not too much rain.

harley_52
harley_52 09/17/12 - 12:53 pm
Does Anyone Really Think...

...that to increase the world supply of crude oil by millions of barrels/day wouldn't result in a reduction in the price of oil (and subsequently gasoline) to American consumers?

...that American oil companies would sell their American produced crude oil on the open market if American tax policies were such that they'd make more by selling it at home?

...that it's really true that we're just as well off restricting production of our own oil reserves and remaining dependent on foreign sources as we would be by producing our own and selling it here at home?

...that the distribution system for gasoline which includes millions of gas stations scattered around the USA will be replaced with any other fuel distribution system for vehicles that is similarly robust and available as the current system anytime within the next twenty years?

...that if an alternate fuel technology for vehicles was available and cost effective that private industry would ignore it?

...that a significant number of American citizens who have purchased a car, truck, motorcycle, power boat, farm or yard tool that uses gasoline or diesel can afford to just scrap them and buy new ones EVEN IF an alternative fuel source became available this afternoon?

harley_52
harley_52 09/17/12 - 12:51 pm
" I hope our teachers are doing a better job."

I wouldn't bet my life savings on that one. I doubt most Public schools even teach anything about the U.S. Constitution beyond badmouthing it as an old, outdated, meaningless document created by a bunch of slave holding drunks the not-cool people refer to as the "Founding Fathers."

Thanks for highlighting the anniversary. I share your surprise that the AC missed it.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 09/17/12 - 01:22 pm
@pep607

They might as well lay a wreath during Constitution Week. Last month's executive order was the last straw. The Constitution is now dead. I mourn her.

KSL
121974
KSL 09/17/12 - 02:09 pm
CG

In lieu of flowers, I promise the votes of me, my spouse, 2 sons, mother, 7 nieces and nephews, sister, brother, and innumerable neighbors, co-workers and clients. Anybody but Obama.

I have been in my profession since 91. Since Obama's policies have been implemented, I have had clients from income stratas low to high actually bring up the need for him to go. Totally out of the blue.