Rants & Raves

THANK YOU TO ALL the people who helped make it so hard for me to get my driver’s license renewed after 40 years. What did I ever do to you?

FOR GENERATIONS Augustans grieved the demolition of the majestic mahogany and brass Union Train Station. Thanks be to God that Sacred Heart Cultural Center was spared the wrecking ball. Be advised, Dr. Azziz, you will never understand or be a part of “our town.” Restore Augusta’s name to its rightful place.

YOU KNOW HOW YOU can tell if someone is a Democrat? He thinks he can say what he wants while protesting your right to do the same.

A RANT FOR the misguided people who continue to waste time worrying about President Obama’s birthplace. I don’t care where he came from. It’s where he currently resides that needs to be dealt with.

I, FOR ONE, support Chick-fil-A and Mr. Cathy now and plan to in the future. For those of you who seem to have a problem with this, I suggest that you not patronize this establishment. There are several businesses that support causes that I do not believe in; therefore, I do not do business with them.

THE BOARD OF REGENTS’ attorney stated that “regent” is too general for trademark protection. Yet he did not address the perception of conflict under trademark protection the “Regent” will create. Therefore, in order not to acknowledge that they were misled, they will waste untold amounts of taxpayer money on a needless legal battle.

I AM 78. I HAVE never been asked to show my Social Security card. I have no clue where my original card is. I will be showing them my enlistment papers and discharge papers from the Air Force, which does have my Social Security number on it. How many people my age or younger have their original Social Security cards? Good luck to the people who find themselves in a real mess.

boomhauer
boomhauer 09/14/12 - 04:28 pm
1st rant...you got that

1st rant...you got that right. It's ridiculous now!

Jake
Jake 09/14/12 - 07:56 pm
Social Security Cards

I received my first card in 1967 when I had to get one to work the concession stand at the Masters that year. My friend's dad took us to the office which was located in a small cinderblock building on Washington Rd not far from Lake Olmstead. His number is just one digit more than mine.
For some reason the Air Force took my card during basic training in 1968 and had another one re-issued to me with the exact same number. I am not sure why they did that. I still have it, though.
When my latest children were born in 1996 & 1999, I had to get them numbers right away. Not sure why but I guess that is the way the government keeps up with you now.

Jake
Jake 09/14/12 - 08:08 pm
Historic Places In Augusta

Augusta does have some interesting historical sites. Out here in Redwood City, CA, the oldest building is from 1910. There is a native American shell mound close by that goes back over 500 yrs but not much in the way of old architecture. Preserve what you can of tangible sites so the future citizens can enjoy and learn.

dwb619
dwb619 09/14/12 - 08:16 pm
social security -draft cards

Got my SS card in 1966 . Still have it, must be good paper.
Got draft card fall of 1969,still have it.

allhans
allhans 09/14/12 - 08:31 pm
I still have my original card

I still have my original card . Covered it with plastic from one of those machines that cost like a couple of quarters, put it in my "cigar box" and there it remains. An old copy of my bc that is falling apart at the creases. ...I noticed too late that my passport had expired.
Take my Georgia Power bill along and keep my fingers crossed...

allhans
allhans 09/14/12 - 08:30 pm
I never could get my mom to

I never could get my mom to give me a rave. Too late now.

allhans
allhans 09/14/12 - 08:34 pm
Family off for the weekend in Atlanta ..GaTech ya know...

Go Tech!! I will house-sit the dog and cats.

Riverman1
Riverman1 09/15/12 - 03:30 am
"RAVES AND MORE Raves for

"RAVES AND MORE Raves for Windsor at The Augusta Chronicle, who walked me right through the All-Access Process. She also has the sweetest personality, perfect for the job she does."

Too bad we can't expand her job. I could use a little sweet personality person from the Chronicle.

Riverman1
Riverman1 09/15/12 - 03:34 am
"SYLVIA COOPER, I enjoy

"SYLVIA COOPER, I enjoy reading your articles. Keep up the good work. Please run for mayor. As a matter of fact, you need to run for sheriff."

Ha..wonder what made the commenter think of THAT? She does remind me of Margaret Thatcher, The Iron Lady.

Riverman1
Riverman1 09/15/12 - 03:39 am
Yep, the college name and

Yep, the college name and historic preservation are entwined. Disrespecting one hurts the other, too.

Riverman1
Riverman1 09/15/12 - 03:42 am
I wonder how Azziz got the

I wonder how Azziz got the idea to first change MCG to GHSU? Where did that come from? I wonder if I studied his paintings could I detect the psychological drive that has him into changing names of old and honorable institutions? There has to be a reason within for this fetish.

shrimp for breakfast
shrimp for breakfast 09/15/12 - 03:45 am
Conservative state

Conservatives have more bile dripping from their lips yet blame the liberals of the same thing.

Riverman1
Riverman1 09/15/12 - 04:06 am
My Football Viewing Today

Wake v. FL State at 12. I want to see just how good FL State is this year. I’m hoping not so much.

Clemson v. Furman at 3. This is such a rivalry even if it’s one sided with the schools a few miles apart. Furman will play them tough. Trivia…Did you know Clemson played a game in 1960 and then loaned their pants so Furman could use them for a night game? The only teams to have shared pants one day.

USC v UAB at 7. I want to see Carolina improve and the QB play well.

UGA v. FL Whatever at 7:30. Just because it’s UGA. This will require deft plays on my part with the remote to keep up with the Carolina game at the same time.

BYU v. Utah at 10. I work with this guy who is a Utah alum. He has to wake up early for church Sunday and is going to record the game and not look at the score because the game will run late into the early morning. I intend to text his work pager phone with the score.

Riverman1
Riverman1 09/15/12 - 04:10 am
Shrimp, I have to disagree

Shrimp, I have to disagree with you here: "Conservatives believe in guns and religion. These two things are polar opposites."

If someone breaks into my house, I'm going to help him to the hereafter with my gun. But if he's breaking in my house I have an idea he may not end up in the cool hereafter.

Tullie
Tullie 09/15/12 - 04:49 am
Riverman

I wonder how Azziz got the idea to first change MCG to GHSU?

When Azziz was asked why he changed it back in 2010, and spent over $300,000 changing signage, etc., he made an odd comment, he said something like "I thought we were through." I wondered then what he meant by that.

I will have to see if I can find it.

Tullie
Tullie 09/16/12 - 11:13 am
Shrimp

Guns and religion are not polar opposites. You are talking apples and oranges.

As an American citizen, freedom of religion, speech, and right to bear arms are all my constitional rights.

I have the right to support who I want as you do..but you do not have the right to take my right away because you disagree with me. That is what a lot of democrats/liberals don't seem to understand.

OpenCurtain
OpenCurtain 09/15/12 - 07:09 am
In response to: "THANK YOU TO ALL the people who

...helped make it so hard for me to get my driver’s license renewed after 40 years. What did I ever do to you?"

*40+ years of open borders,
* allowing states to offer official ID's to illegals,
* Failing to put safe guards in place to stop identity thieves. Because ID Protect companies donate big buck$$.
* allowing states to go bankrupt from supporting Illegals with healthcare, food stamps and ATDF other than allow them to verify citizenship.
* and bowing to, the ever increasing illegal immigration vote pressure instead of enforcing the laws that protect our voting process for taxpaying citizens.

*OH! and let us not forget a President who's own citizenship is in constant question.

I griped about the new laws.
Sure it is a pain in rear because it was implemented extremely poorly. But then I realized it means a near 100% proof of citizenship, if the person has a State issued ID with the verified logo.

It means when I see someone at the polls using a State verified ID he has the right to vote now, on how my tax dollars will be mismanaged.

But, It also means it will take 8 more years to still weed out those that were issued extended licenses prior to July 1st.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 09/15/12 - 07:13 am
A Good Morning All

I thank Thee, Lord, for sleep and rest,
For all the things that I love best,
Now guide me through another day
And bless my work and bless my play.
Lord, make me strong for noble ends,
Protect and bless my loving friends;
Of all mankind good Christians make.
All this I ask for Jesus' sake.
Amen.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 09/15/12 - 07:15 am
The

only Religious Debate I will make today.

justthefacts
justthefacts 09/15/12 - 07:19 am
River

You are missing the best game! Florida/TN. BTW, when you are watching the UGA game, I will wave at you. Look for the guy in the red shirt.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 09/15/12 - 07:27 am
Still Have

My 1940 Birth Certificate,
My first SS Card issued,
My Baptismal Certificate,
My first Communion Certificate,
All my 12 school years of perfect attendance cards.
My graduation Certificate,
All my shot records,
My first drivers License,
My DD-214,
Every Army paper I received in 20 years,

Maybe I'm not an American Citizen...Who Knows?

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 09/15/12 - 07:29 am
Oh

Forgot my Marriage License.

justthefacts
justthefacts 09/15/12 - 07:50 am
Nice try

"Forgot my Marriage License". Good idea, did it work??

dichotomy
dichotomy 09/15/12 - 07:55 am
"it means a near 100% proof

"it means a near 100% proof of citizenship"

Well....it did until the GA Attorney General decided that illegals with an Obama PASS can get a GA license. They don't have to show anything but the PASS and all they have to do to get the PASS is say that they were brought here by their parents.

YOU have to show your life history. They only have to show an Obama PASS.

Karen Slater-McDaniel
Karen Slater-McDaniel 09/15/12 - 07:59 am
No longer have my first SS

No longer have my first SS card due to a name change many years ago ... which lead to the name changing document (aka Marriage License) ... I have no idea where this is! Lol

USC v. UAB ... think they should keep Shaw sidelined.
FURMAN v.Clemson ... gotta go with Purple on this seeing how this is my nieces senior year of a four year free ride! Go Paladin's!
UGA v. whoever ... I don't give a damn ... waiting on October 6th bragging rights for ANOTHER YEAR! How many years has that been now? Hahaha

Karen Slater-McDaniel
Karen Slater-McDaniel 09/15/12 - 08:00 am
Oh yeah ... GO GAMECOCKS!

Oh yeah ... GO GAMECOCKS!

seenitB4
seenitB4 09/15/12 - 08:24 am
Fresh Air......Happy Thoughts

I said this am I would be a happy camper & not get riled with the news....well that lasted 5 mins...or less..heh

Front page--Budget knife will slice medicare & military.....right under that is the headline---Anti-US rage grows..
Then I see an article that says our commissioner Kennerly really didn't take a million dollar bribe (he says) that was just a payment to cash out of a partnership..hahah

Also same article it says Gwinnet county paid 7.3 million more for property than it costs a 1 1/2 earlier....another deal with that same commissioner.....
ok now.....where s the happy news...

seenitB4
seenitB4 09/15/12 - 08:33 am
Wait a minute...I will make my own happy thoughts:)

No Sheriffs contest for me today

No fussing with other posters

No getting chewed by the best on here

No hello good am from me today

No - no no no ....instead I will watch the burning & trashing of our property all over the world,,,naaah not really
IT IS BALLGAME TIME HERE ...bye bye

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 09/15/12 - 09:18 am
Good morning everybody.

Good morning everybody. It'Saturday. I'm gonna clean the kitchen and go back to bed. But you can still thank a LEO, they work weekends too.

Riverman1
Riverman1 09/15/12 - 09:23 am
JTF, yeah, Fla-Tenn would be

JTF, yeah, Fla-Tenn would be a good one. Where are you sitting today? You can't believe Fla Whatever is going to make it a game. There has to be another reason for you being there.

KSM, dang someone picked Furman. My granddaddy played football there when they were a national power, the best in SC year after year. What's that called perennial or something?

SeenIt, oh, I caught that. You KNOW I love you. Even more than I love Countyman. :)

Daniel Field removes trees, lights structures in airspace

Daniel Field, managed by operations company Augusta Aviation, has spent more than $30,000 conducting land surveys, removing 30 trees and installing red blinking lights on top of the Newman Tennis ...