Rants & Raves

Comments from readers:

I AM VERY disappointed in the outcome of the runoff election between Scott Peebles and Richard Roundtree. To begin with, there absolutely should not have been a runoff in the first place. Without a doubt Scott Peebles was the man for the job with his experience and his qualifications. What a shame that some did not come through with their support and shame to those who made a point of “distracting.” You let a good man down!

HOW DID SETH ROUZAN only get five years? He should have been in prison for life. What is wrong with our courts? There should be no pleas on robbery and murder, period.

WE HOPE THAT Robbie Silas is happy with what he did to Richmond County. He wasn’t qualified to run for sheriff. He did it because he wanted power and the south Augusta mob wanted a yes man in office. He hurt Richmond County beyond belief. He divided the votes so the man who was qualified lost.

RICHARD ROUNDTREE IS not the sheriff yet. Wait until November.

AZZIZ, YOU ARE RUINING Augusta. You are going to get fewer students. People are not going to want to send their children to a school with a name like that.

I JUST READ THAT some Catholic bishops are joining the president in criticizing Paul Ryan on some issues. I wonder if the Catholic bishops and the black pastors are joining the president in his views on homosexual marriages.

THOSE OF YOU WHO are left from VFW Post 3200 are welcome to join us at Post 649. We would be glad to have you join our post and transfer your membership. It is a recreational facility and you will meet new people.

ON AUG. 23 I WENT to a ceremony to pin the firefighter badge on my grandson. This is the first class of new employees who are required to be certified, advanced EMTs. It was hard work and study for them every day. When you see a firefighter on the street, please thank them for their service. They are our first responders in any emergency and your life could depend on them.

RANT FOR AZZIZ: Great to hear you’re “moving on.” How can we help you leave?

NO ONE SHOULD EVER be forced to apologize for something he said. Ed Turner has a right to his opinion. Isn’t that freedom of speech?

Fools_and_sages
Fools_and_sages 09/13/12 - 05:48 pm
run-off elections

This is the only state I have ever lived in where you need 50% of the vote to win a primary. If run-off elections get poor voter turn-out, that obviously means voters don't want to go back to the polls because one guy gets 47% and other gets 39% and a third guy gets 145 of the votes. If you need one candidate to get at least 50% of the vote to secure the party nomination and avoid a run-off, then change the candidate application laws. If can become a "first come, first serve" law where the first two people to get their completed applications in are the only two allowed to run for a party nomination. It is highly unlikely that a primary with three or more candidates vying for the nomination would get 50% of the vote. "First come, first serve" is cut-throat and unfair, but so are run-off elections few people participate in that result in the wrong candidates getting nominated for the real election. The alternative to a "first come, first serve" law is to use a simple majority law in which the candidate with the most votes during the primary wins it outright, which means NO RUN-OFFS!

dstewartsr
20389
dstewartsr 09/13/12 - 06:49 pm
Stayin' alive

...stayin' alive! I suspect long after Azziz has moved on to another city to run roughshod over the Chronicle will still be posting hate mail about him. Take some of that huge pile of money you're sitting on and have him whacked. Or just buy any of a number of politicians and have him removed. Sheesh!

dstewartsr
20389
dstewartsr 09/13/12 - 06:42 pm
So nice to know

... who the 'right man' is; too bad the rest of us cling to our antiquated notion of voting for the candidate we feel deserves the office.

dstewartsr
20389
dstewartsr 09/13/12 - 06:48 pm
"HOW DID SETH ROUZAN

... only get five years?" It's called the justice system --though I put it on the same level as other oxymorons like jumbo shrimp-- and it works in mysterious ways. People have gotten twice that sentence for animal abuse or marijuana possession.

seenitB4
seenitB4 09/13/12 - 08:06 pm
OMG

Will we hear the same rants 2 years from now about SP losing the Sheriffs race......geez...let it go...
Blaming Silas is getting old----some blame Strength---some blame Rtree--some blame posters......why not just say
PEOPLE DIDN'T GO TO THE POLLS...
20 people could have been in the race......how do you stop a man from running----what do you do...break his leg??

seenitB4
seenitB4 09/13/12 - 08:10 pm
Smile

I'm betting Sheriff strength will have a great big smile on his face on that last day in office....who could blame him.

Karen Slater-McDaniel
Karen Slater-McDaniel 09/13/12 - 08:12 pm
Coulda, Shoulda, Woulda ... whaaaah :,(

... if that damn Obama wouldn't have ran for office then my candidate, WHO DESERVED TO WIN, would have won the last presidential election! How dare someone run for a political office that I wanted MY person to win!

Really? Do you NOW see how stupid two of the rants sound?

... And if a frog had wings it wouldn't bump his ... well you get the point!

seenitB4
seenitB4 09/13/12 - 08:17 pm
KSM

I thought we heard sps name on here daily b4 the election...now I think we will hear it everyday after the election.....gosh I hope I don't cry like that if Freddie doesn't win...pls kick me if I do...☻

seenitB4
seenitB4 09/13/12 - 08:20 pm
glass of milk

I'm having a glass of milk with kahlua in it.......seeya in the am..

Karen Slater-McDaniel
Karen Slater-McDaniel 09/13/12 - 08:25 pm
I'm VERY disappointed too!

I'm still upset about the 1932 presidential election!

I wanted Herbert Hoover for a second term because we share a birthday ... but noooooo FDR had to win & ruin it for me!

Wait a minute ... what was I thinking? My PARENTS were not even alive in 1932! Nevermind ... lol :p

Karen Slater-McDaniel
Karen Slater-McDaniel 09/13/12 - 08:38 pm
Going to bed myself SeenIt

Going to bed myself SeenIt ... took some Benadryl for my sinuses ... I think it's making me even more smart-aleck-y than usual ... it's probably best for me to get off the AC before it kicks in to overdrive! Hold down the fort until tomorrow. Hello Rebellious ... I'm betting his insomnia brings him here during the night, as usual. :)

rebellious
rebellious 09/13/12 - 09:40 pm
KSM

How did you guess. Been at a candidate fundraiser.....drank the tea. Will be waking up the roosters to make them crow, most likely.

I agree with the posts about people running for office. How dare they? Sunsuvguns. So unfair!

Trouble
Trouble 09/13/12 - 10:06 pm
i am disappointed too

my candidate didnt even run, it is sooooo unfair that just because ronald regan is dead, he cant be president....i mean come on, they let dead people vote all the time!!!!!!!

Jake
Jake 09/13/12 - 11:14 pm
Trouble

Lets dig him up and vote again. I never cared for Reagan but life was good in the early to mid 80's. Actually life is pretty good for me almost all of the time. I am not sure how a president can influence the times or just be swept up in them. I didn't care for Bush "W" but things were good for me then just as they are now. Politicians do not influence my outlook and appreciation for friendship, music, food, drink, love, outdoors and all of the things that I enjoy. You could also throw spiritual things in there as well even though I am not a spiritual person in the common sense of the word. I enjoy life as I live it and am blessed by knowing and communicating with many wonderful people, family and friends.

KSL
KSL 09/13/12 - 11:05 pm
Dogs vote also.

Dogs vote also.

Jake
Jake 09/13/12 - 11:15 pm
Dogs vote

Yeah, I think that is how W carried Florida in 2000.

KSL
KSL 09/13/12 - 11:33 pm
Well, Jake, Carter almost

Well, Jake, Carter almost destroyed us, but Reagan's policies brought us back. We can survive the cyclical trends of ups and downs. The current potus has no intention of curing this. I am speaking from a personal standpoint.

Oh, I heard someone speak today of the personal integrity in John McCain and Jimmy Carter. I can't speak for McCain, but Jimmy Carter had less integrity than I have in a pinkey finger when he was running for Gov of GA and after he was elected.

Jake
Jake 09/13/12 - 11:40 pm
Destroy

No President has ever "almost destroyed us". Our nation, and it's people, are stronger than you give us credit.

KSL
KSL 09/13/12 - 11:44 pm
You totally misread me. He

You totally misread me. He almost destroyed us, the 2 of us. Self employed, dependent on gas prices. All future work suddenly shut down because of economic conditions.

KSL
KSL 09/13/12 - 11:53 pm
Because of his total

Because of his total ineptness, not unlike that of the current resident of the white house.

KSL
KSL 09/14/12 - 12:17 am
The damage that he caused to

The damage that he caused to not supportors after he was elected Governor and then president. I had a passing knowledge of a lot of GA politicians. Carter was very vindictive toward supporters of his advisaries after being elected. Kind of like Clinton.

Riverman1
Riverman1 09/14/12 - 06:25 am
Yeah, I wonder what brought

Yeah, I wonder what brought on this bunch of rants about the Sheriff's election? The get-together the other night made the reality sink in or something?

seenitB4
seenitB4 09/14/12 - 07:01 am
Re-package Tree

Now we know what the plan is......the handlers have a package to deliver......:)

Too bad the punks-jerks-thugs don't go to these fundraisers.....don't read these posts or papers.....I guess you will need a big ole truck-car-bus to deliver the message to the neighborhoods......loud speaker would help........maybe the handlers could actually drive the bus & use a bullhorn.........They could use rap music to deliver .....I bet RM could come up with some lyrics....:)

seenitB4
seenitB4 09/14/12 - 07:06 am
Here ya go handlers...☺

Try to stand on top of the bus & sing out !!!!

Riverman1
Riverman1 09/14/12 - 07:16 am
SeenIt...Just Check Out the Photos

We had Johnny Hensley and "Miss Monique" around Peebles and Blanchard. That was musical and harmonious enough.

seenitB4
seenitB4 09/14/12 - 07:24 am
I saw the pics....

My honest opinion is this....

If Rtree wins the race I honestly hope he can change the direction in Richmond county....I know Freddie would.....

BUT Rtree would have to be his own man......not pulled by outsiders with their own agenda.......
Richmond county has many problems....esp. with the youth & education......& yes some are beyond hope.....can't be helped & we have to face that too.
The military schools that River has encouraged on here would be a great solution..... the 2 parent household has never been there for many kids.....

Riverman1
Riverman1 09/14/12 - 07:29 am
SeenIt has good observations.

SeenIt has good observations. Roundtree would benefit greatly if he takes Freddie into his circle of friends if he does win. Chief Sanders would benefit with Roundtree if he wins. Leave those at the Foundation Club to plot more things to benefit themselves. Those at T's eat fried fish, drink beer and there's not an ulterior motive in the lot.

justthefacts
justthefacts 09/14/12 - 07:32 am
For River1

River, thought you might like this Chipper quote from his article in SI.
“I’ve had a lot of failings, as a ballplayer, as a father, as a husband. I married at 20 the first time, too young, but I didn’t know that then. I’m getting divorced now from my second wife, and I will never, ever, get married again. But I honestly wouldn’t change a thing. I believe everything happens for a reason. My four kids, three with my second wife, are athletic, smart, fun, still young. I’ve been a part-time father. Now, come October, I’m going to be a full-time father, like my father was to me. I’m going to teach Shea to bat switch. He’s eight. It’s time. I’m saying goodbye without a tear in my eye. I gave it my all.”

KSL
KSL 09/14/12 - 07:50 am
Actually, he didn't give it

Actually, he didn't give it his all if he is regretting being a "part time" father and getting a divorce from the mother of 3 kids.

Riverman1
Riverman1 09/14/12 - 07:51 am
JTF...That's Chipper

I knew there was something about Chipper from the first time I saw him outside the old Heaton Stadium waiting to get on the Macon Braves bus, talking to Ted Van Poppel. My son who got a few nice words from him. Your post reinforces the belief.

He is a southern boy like us who could hit better than we could. It's tough being a star when you are from north Florida. I wonder how his life would have changed if he had gone to Stanford instead of the Braves at first? Maybe Billy Joe Patton was right when he said he could handle the fame and liquor, but he couldn't handle the "wimmen."

Have you seen Chipper's hunting show and ranch on the Outdoor's Channel? It's a fun thing. Especially the one when they had Jonathan Broxton from Burke County out there partying and hunting. They party HARD the night before the hunt.

Solar 'farm' for Fort Gordon?

ATLANTA -- Georgia military installations at Fort Stewart, Fort Gordon, Fort Benning and Kings Bay will one day be housing solar farms that can make them independent of the power grid in ...