SC woman leads police chase drinking tequila

Tuesday, Sept. 11, 2012 8:27 AM
Last updated 6:45 PM

PAWLEYS ISLAND, S.C. — Georgetown County sheriff’s deputies say a Murrells Inlet woman is in jail after leading them on a high speed chase and then getting out of her car drinking from a bottle of tequila.

Deputies say 40-year-old Sandra D. Cook was charged with several traffic violations and having an open container of alcohol Monday.

Authorities say a deputy tried to pull over a woman in Pawleys Island for driving 88 miles per hour in a 45 zone. She drove off, leading deputies on a chase to Georgetown and then back to Pawleys.

Authorities say at the end of the chase the woman got out of the car drinking tequila. It could not immediately be determined if Cook had an attorney.

Jake
Jake 09/11/12 - 09:01 am
But officer

"But officer, when you are drinking straight Tequila you need to follow it with a chaser".

David Parker
David Parker 09/11/12 - 09:30 am
May have traded a DUI for an

May have traded a DUI for an open container. Don't know for sure but I've heard say of an issue when a driver is observed drinking alcohol after being pulled over but before the officer can field sobriety test them, they are ineligible to be convicted of the DUI b/c there's no way to distinguish if the inebriation was from before they got pulled over or from teh observed drinking. Interesting loophole anyway.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 09/11/12 - 09:44 am
Jake

Made my day, Love it.

soapy_725
soapy_725 09/11/12 - 10:24 am
You don't want to meet her.....

"on a straight tequila night, she'll be ready to fight.

Riverman1
Riverman1 09/11/12 - 11:31 am
Jimmy Buffet type person.

Jimmy Buffet type person. Take a big drink before they take you to jail. Should have driven her car into the waves, too. I'm sure a guy caused it all and someone will make a song out of it.

Riverman1
Riverman1 09/11/12 - 11:35 am
David, I pulled a neighbor

David, I pulled a neighbor out of a car he had wrecked in a ditch in Columbia County and he was sitting on the side of the road with cuts and drinking a beer when the deputies arrived. Didn't keep him from getting a DUI. So I don't know if that works.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 09/11/12 - 12:30 pm
Technically it can since

Technically it can since there is no evidence he was drinking before the accident. I suppose they could wait some time before testing and make assumptions, but will they hold up as criminal evidence?

David Parker
David Parker 09/11/12 - 12:47 pm
River, I would think an

River, I would think an attorney with the right motivation would be a necessary factor as well. Was your neighbor a "motivational" type person? if you catch my meaning.

Riverman1
Riverman1 09/11/12 - 01:40 pm
David, if I had a cookout he

David, if I had a cookout he would be by the beer cooler. That what you mean by motivation?

Search of alleged dealer's home found drugs, firearms