Rants & Raves

RANTS FOR ALL THE people who walk into a place of business and take the “customer” newspaper that we provide for you while you’re waiting. This is so inconsiderate.

SINCE THE Medical College of Georgia doesn’t have the word “Augusta” in it, and nobody complained, maybe the bigwigs are wondering why we’re fussing now.

IN THE PAST FEW months, I have seen people in their cars with the window down smoking cigarettes at a gas pump. I have also witnessed a guy pulling up to a gas pump and getting out of his car and walking past a tanker truck smoking a cigarette. It is the fumes that ignite and not the liquid. There should never be any smoking near gas pumps.

RANTS TO ALL television networks, public and otherwise, for ignoring Gov. Nikki Haley’s address to the Republican National Convention.

IT IS A SHAME THAT the people who post on Augusta Chronicle are usually negative. They need to get a life, talk positive and quit knocking the ones who talk positive. I’m proud to be raised and living in Augusta.

WHY WAS AUGUST the wettest on record but the water level at the lake dropped? Is there no correlation between rainfall and lake levels?

THE RICHMOND COUNTY school board should have removed Dr. Wayne Frazier completely.

THERE ARE BIGGER plans afoot, plans that have probably been in effect far longer than you know, and Azziz is just the outsider brought in to do the dirty job of dealing with the local yokels. Once the medical school is relocated to Athens, and GRU is just a nursing, dental and allied health services school, Azziz will disappear (laughing all the way) back to La-La Land, whence he came, millions of dollars richer, and you will all still be stuck here in Augusta, home of the famous Masters Tournament, which, I am sure, if the powers that be could do it, they’d move that to Athens/Atlanta, too.

IT’S A FANTASTIC early warning system that Aiken County Sheriff’s Office has. We had a shooting in Belvedere and within minutes, all the residents were alerted by cellphones and land lines. We had the description and even clothes the suspect might have changed into. Praises to the people that came up with this.

seenitB4
seenitB4 09/07/12 - 06:38 pm
The rant said...

Now wasn't that a negative rant also...:)
SM--you didn't write that...did you?

Sargebaby
Sargebaby 09/07/12 - 06:49 pm
Negative........we post

Negative........we post negative? Never in a gnat's blink do we post negative! We're all positives!

dstewartsr
20388
dstewartsr 09/07/12 - 06:53 pm
"Is there no correlation between rainfall and lake levels?"

Short answer is no. The dam was, and is, primarily a hydroelectric asset. It was sold as that, but also as a recreational resource by the Corps of Engineers; you know, the same folks who saved New Orleans from Katrina. You just know how responsive they're not- unless you cut down some brush a half mile from the shore.

dstewartsr
20388
dstewartsr 09/07/12 - 06:55 pm
"I’m proud to be raised and living in Augusta."

Hey, Countyman got an R&R posted!

Trouble
Trouble 09/07/12 - 06:57 pm
maybe

our view points dont match the whiners...........oops, i mean ranters.....and therefore, we are negative cause we dont agree........

dstewartsr
20388
dstewartsr 09/07/12 - 07:03 pm
The smoking thing

... I agree, I've always thought of it as an opportunity to dredge the gene pool. Problem is, although one would think it would be certain disaster, I am a senior who cannot remember a single incident of it actually happening. I remember when everyone smoked everywhere and thinking back, folks pulling away with the filler still in the tank, seen it; falling asleep and setting their chair or sofa on fire, yup that one too; setting trash cans on fire, many times. I've seen men standing on gas cans the rear deck of an M113 smoking while pouring gas into the tank. Never figured out why they didn't end up in orbit.

Jake
Jake 09/07/12 - 08:01 pm
Negative posters

I would rather call it critical than negative. Nothing wrong with being a critic. There are also moments of friendship, community and laughter. Some of us post because this may be our only forum to get our opinions, music, ideas, and frustrations out in the open. I have also made some friendships on here as well. All in all, I think the Augusta Chronicle has done us a service to allow our comments.

countyman
19166
countyman 09/07/12 - 08:21 pm
The Boar's Head Public

I agree we could use some positive comments to balance out the negativity...

The Boar's Head Public House(restaurant) is opening at 1135 Broad street in the CBD... Other new developments under construction include: Sprint Food & Metro Market at 851 Broad next to the common(open air seating, 1st floor urban market: restaurant/convenience store, and 2nd floor Sprint Food corporate offices and space for other tenants), Farmhaus Burger/7 apts/restaurant at 1204 Broad St, Whiskey Bar Kitchen at 1048 Broad, 9 apts & 4,300 sq. ft. of commercial space at 901 Broad, etc...

Riverman1
Riverman1 09/07/12 - 08:18 pm
Jake, it could be a lot of

Jake, it could be a lot of people read your comments. It's a mutual thing with the AC.

countyman
19166
countyman 09/07/12 - 08:21 pm
The beautification of Augusta

The beautification of Augusta continues around the entire county... The Broad street median between 13th-15th is the next one up..
The Wheeler rd, Saint Sebastian Way/Greene street, Doug Barnard Pkwy, and Gordon Hwy projects were completed... Alexander road, Riverwatch Pkwy/I-20, and Walton Way between 13th & 15th landscape projects are underway/coming soon... Additional improvements include the $2 million Wrightsboro rd makeover near the mall, $1.8 million grant for Gordon Hwy, Deans Bridge, Millegeville, and 15th street, $1.3 million going towards 9th street/James Brown Boulevard(Phase 1: Reynolds to Laney Walker) and the $37.5 million I-520 construction can help parts of Gordon Hwy & Deans Bridge rd... All of the developments mentioned are either under construction or starting this year except for the $1.8 million grant which will be used in conjunction with the GDOT plans to widen 15th street.. We need to focus on Deans Bridge, Peach Orchard, Windsor Spring, Washington, Reynolds, Laney Walker, and Sandbar Ferry...

Riverman1
Riverman1 09/08/12 - 11:05 am
Just drove down Fury's Ferry.

Just drove down Fury's Ferry. I went down to the liquor store about an hour ago. I noticed a Freddie Sanders sign in front of the store in their little grass island in the parking lot. I didn't notice it until I was backing out and I almost went back in to ask the guy if he were a Sanders' supporter.

But what really struck me were all the stores on both sides of Fury's Ferry. I moved to Columbia County 22 years ago and there was nothing out there. The Winn Dixie, where Earth Faire is now, was the first store to come out our way on the old two lane road. Now there are so many shopping centers squeezed into every available space. It's hard to believe anyone doesn't know with the population gain, but the boom in Columbia County equals anything in this country. It's simply amazing. Instead of a North Dakota like boom due to natural gas from shale, Columbia County's is fueled by people simply wanting decent places to live.

I thought I would add, Richmond and Aiken Counties are responsible for much of the success of Columbia County. I readily admit the industry in those counties makes it possible to have such a beautiful residential and restaurant area. Most of us work outside of Columbia County and return each night to our slice of paradise.

Riverman1
Riverman1 09/07/12 - 08:44 pm
Aiken's Makin

Anyone go to Aiken's Makin? THAT'S the way to have a festival in a city. That town is soooo nice.

bdouglas
bdouglas 09/07/12 - 09:12 pm
@Riverman

I made it by there today. My rosy red face tells the story. It was hot and sunny, but beautiful as expected! Injected a couple hundred bucks into the economy while I was there, too. Though, only one vendor I patronized was actually from here. Definitely a well-done endeavor. Lived here over 17 years now and that was actually my first time going, believe it or not. Bathrooms were easy to find, a lot of it was in the shade, and there were plenty of spots to sit and rest if needed. Lots of nice folks.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 09/07/12 - 09:17 pm
@1

Don't you realize that you are working and have a business, that there are those that don't work and receive everything free. You paid for it but it has to be distributed to the poor unfortunate ones.

By the way, I think I saw where free new papers was next in line after free cellphones!

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 09/07/12 - 09:20 pm
@3

Gas fumes flow down and everything is great untill a gush of wind happens to move it up, most times out of none, they won't be smoking again. Heck of a way to stop that bad habit.

Riverman1
Riverman1 09/07/12 - 09:21 pm
Best People in the World

Nice report, BDouglas. I own some land out 302 and completely understand the gentility and sportsmen of Aiken. Serene and kind people.

An elderly lady was featured on TV tonight and she told how her group made jewelry and all the profits went to provide formula for infants in Africa whose mothers' had AIDS. I'm telling you these are the best people in the world.

Riverman1
Riverman1 09/08/12 - 11:13 am
J.B. Powell and the Media

I’ve been hearing a lot about former State Senator J.B. Powell and candidate for Agricultural Commissioner with the current Sheriff’s race in Richmond County. As most know he and former Sheriff Charlie Webster were Robbie Silas supporters.

Lots of negative things have been said about Powell in and on particular media, possibly because he is a Democrat or supported Silas. But people have emailed me taking up for him in powerfully worded statements.

Apparently, he often visited schools in South Augusta, such as Glenn Hills, and was supportive of teachers and became close friends with many of them. It’s hard to understand why some in the media would dislike him so much.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 09/07/12 - 10:37 pm
@5

Hey, I'm always positive about impeaching the King SMNCICBHO. You have to be positive if you want to save this great country.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 09/07/12 - 09:26 pm
@6

"Is there no correlation between rainfall and lake levels?"

Yes there is:

Water in the lake evaporated and then emptied itself in Augusta.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 09/07/12 - 09:28 pm
Azzizz Rants

Forget it, it is a lost cause, Done is Done.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 09/07/12 - 09:31 pm
@9

You just better hope Richmond County doesn't come up with that type of system.....you would never get off the cellphones and for sure not get any sleep.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 09/07/12 - 09:32 pm
See

I'm positive, ain't I?

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 09/07/12 - 09:37 pm
Aiken's Makin

Sorry I miss it. Sounds like it is better than First Friday in Augusta.

Riverman1
Riverman1 09/07/12 - 09:47 pm
CGee, night and day

CGee, night and day difference. The people are well behaved and in a good mood. All races are there...white, black and Spanish due to the horse people's influence.

Tullie
Tullie 09/07/12 - 09:55 pm
Aiken's Makin' Festival

You can still go, it is still going on Saturday, September 8, 2012.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 09/07/12 - 09:58 pm
RM

2 of my sons live and have businesses in Aiken. I think it is a very beautiful city. I have yet to met any disrespectful person there. I always have a good feeling like I use to, back in my home town in the 50's. Never had an once of fear of anything. Good Living.

rebellious
20174
rebellious 09/07/12 - 09:58 pm
@ Riverman's 8:48 post

I don't know what triggerd this post from you, but it triggered a response to my mind. (by the way does anyone else notice the osts aren't time sequential? The next post after Rivers 8:48 p.m. is a post from 8:44 p.m. The other day i saw a full day difference out of sequence!)

Anyway, back to the point at hand:

This is what is so frustrating and infuriating at the same time. After the boom started, years ago when the mayor almost bankrupted Augusta and property taxes were up, people saw the low land prices and low taxes of Columbia County as an outlet and slowly started baling. And credit to Columbia County they have managed the growth in Evans very well, not so much Grovetown.

Augusta leadership failed to recognize this and implement an alternative. Heck , we even widened roads to make the commute back into RC for jobs easier. As a county, we did everything we could to make it easierand better to live in CC and work in RC. These mid to upper class income folks also took with them their kids, who were better performers in school. Ok you get the picture of how a downward spiral starts and accelerates, so I will stop.

Now, I do not begrudge the growth of Columbia county. I do loathe those residents whom I know lived in Augusta and now, because they live in Evans, act as if they are better than thou. And, OH YEAH, they exist in large numbers. I knew them when they played barefoot and had dirt rings around thier necks, so don't act hootie tootie with me.

Augusta has a vast amount of undeveloped, rural land in South Augusta. Yet it is not marketed, not sought after, ignored in the Sustainable Developement Plan, Constantly placed at the back for Roads Improvements (Windsor Spring widening), avoided by Real Estate agents and castigated by politicians (Calld Naysayers, Negative, and Eating your young).

Can't speak for everyone else, but if you object to being neglected, that is not whining. Opportunity missed is opportunity lost. But there is more coming. Why can't our leadership understand a clear concept such as this:

1) Promote housing development in South Augusta targeting Upper Middle and Young Progressives

2) This increases the Tax Digest, General Fund Revenues, Sales Tax Revenues (including SPLOST and TSPLOST), and drives retail development (people eat and shop essentials close to home)

3) Retail demand (and development) creates jobs. Jobs = Paychecks. Paychecks = spending. Spending = increases Sales Tax (see # 2 and loop)

4) measure growth quarter to quarter, year over year, count money, everyone.

5) repeat from #1

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 09/07/12 - 10:00 pm
Tullie

Yes, We may just do that, Thanks.

Karen Slater-McDaniel
Karen Slater-McDaniel 09/07/12 - 10:07 pm
Cigarettes, cigars & politics ...

Back 13 years ago when I smoked cigarettes I used to spray aerosol hairspray on my hair with a lit cigarette in my mouth ... That's me ... fearless!!! Lol.

RM1 ... stop being coy silly man ... you KNOW the real reason for the lack of love towards JB by someone who's hackles stand up like on a dogs back at the mere mention of Powell's name. Hee hee ... you poop starter you. :p

Riverman1
Riverman1 09/07/12 - 10:09 pm
Rebel....why times are out of sequence

I'll often read my previous comments and see a grammatical error and correct it. Then the Chronicle changes the time of the post. That's all. A little quirk I have about grammar. I should be more careful to start with I realize.