Rants & Raves

Comments from readers:

THIS COLUMN IS A JOKE. You invite people to express their opinion and then you fail to print them. The staff you have selecting items puts in what suits their fancy and discards the rest. Why not rename it the Staff’s Rants & Raves Column?

MAYOR DEKE COPENHAVER needs to understand that he is the mayor of the people of Augusta, not the mayor of Dr. Ricardo Azziz. Mr. Mayor, stand up for your people.

WHY DOESN’T President Obama do something to help with those wildfires? Those firefighters need help.

RICHARD ROUNDTREE MIGHT have won this round, but I doubt he will win the other. As a leader, no one will follow him. It has nothing to do with race; he just doesn’t have the leadership ability.

ANYONE WHO DOES NOT understand the concept of a stop sign does not need a driver’s license. Anyone who passes a school bus has no excuse except they just don’t care about anybody but themselves.

THE RECENT PROCESS of selecting a new name for the consolidated universities highlights one of the reasons why the general public has such a low opinion of public officials. They request public comment, spend enormous amounts on studies, ignore the comments and data, and then make a decision that they claim is based on all the alternatives.

EVERY TIME IT RAINS, we live in fear that our yard will flood again. The county doesn’t care. They haven’t even been out here. It’s been 16 years now every time we get a good rain.

THIS IS A GIGANTIC RAVE and thank you to Sheriff Ronald Strength and his department for cleaning up the corner of Wrightsboro Road and Augusta Avenue. There are schools and churches nearby, and that type of activity did not look good in the neighborhood.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 09/05/12 - 07:23 pm
@8

"It’s been 16 years now every time we get a good rain."??What??

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 09/05/12 - 07:25 pm
@1

I think if you ask, you will find out it is "Sean's R&R Column"

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 09/05/12 - 07:27 pm
@3

Don't worry, he will in the next 4 years......

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 09/05/12 - 07:32 pm
@7

"and it ain’t me." Very Very Smart Decision.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 09/05/12 - 07:47 pm
How Many Missed This Last Night

Neal Didn't!

We “belong” to the government? Did you happen to see the little video they ran at the convention last night? That video conveyed the message that while we may belong to different churches and such … we all belong to the government. The line was “The government is the only thing we ALL belong to.”

Sorry .. no. We may be subject to different religions doctrines based on our choice of churches. We may be subject to different rules based on our choice of a club to join. But the government is not the only thing we all BELONG to … it is the only thing we are all SUBJECT to. In effect, the Democrats were celebrating the subjugation of the people to government.

It’s interesting that the Democrats are now running like hell from this video. Everyone is trying to blame it on everyone else. Suddenly the Democrats have seen that their concept of everyone belonging to the government doesn’t look all that good in broad daylight. They won’t change, though. They’ll just run and hide.

dstewartsr
20389
dstewartsr 09/05/12 - 08:10 pm
RE: #1

Wahhhhhh! Poor baby, and cry for the rest of us, deprived of your brilliant insights into the day's issues. Mean ol' Sean.

Jake
Jake 09/05/12 - 08:24 pm
Rant #1

I didn't know Sean Moores selects the Rants&Raves personally. If so then he must not have much to choose from. Other posters have indicated that they have submitted R&R's and they never get posted. These are posters with various forms of opinions which is a good thing in my view.
What I would like to see is Rants&Raves submitted with an identifying name like we use when we post.

rebellious
rebellious 09/05/12 - 08:44 pm
Who said toting a gun is a mark of manhood?

"CARRYING A GUN is a mark of manhood? Not in the home I was raised in! But if I speak out against people with that mentality, I get called a hater or a racist. Someone needs to change their view about things, and it ain’t me."

Who said this? And how does it apply to women who carry firearms? Does their testosterone level increase?

Now carrying a weapon is, in my opinion, a sign of wisdom and preparedness. Like cars equipped with a jack, lugwrench and spare tire type of wisdom. You know, the Boy Scout "always prepared" mantra. I don't want a flat, but if it happens, I am ready.

When I walk in the woods, I carry a .22 with snake shot. At various places within and without the house, I have little nuggets stashed. Kinda like those video games, and I know where they are, but the bad guys don't.

So, I respect that some people have an aversion to firearms. I get it. It is simple, don't have them if you don't like them. But when Pookie and them come visit you... well don't be cracking on the Sheriff's dept cause they were taking down the info on a stolen lawnmower 15 blocks over and couldn't get there before the smash and grab was done.

What is that old saying? "I would rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6." So you gotta ask yourself, Do you feel lucky? Well ......Do ya?

rebellious
rebellious 09/05/12 - 08:57 pm
CGee, you crack me up

@8 "It’s been 16 years now every time we get a good rain."??What??.

I agree. I moved to my current home 19 years ago, after living in the first home for 12 years. Why did I move? Because a kid was murdered in a drive by at his bus stop at 7:00 in the morning. I said....OhhhKaay, time to move.

In some regards, i feel the same way about people in Harrisburg complaining about the drug dealers, et al.. Example, I had a friend who bought a house on the lower end of Broad. Older 1800's home, I guess. Paid some ridiculously low price, like $20,000. Got some federal loan to buy it, cause of the historic value, yadi yadi. Then got a federal 0% loan to renovate. Beautiful place when he finished. Couldn't keep a bicycle or lawnmower in the shed or rocking chair on the porch because of the convenient location for burgling.

one day he started complaining to me. I said, you knew where it was when you bought it. You knew the price was so low cause of where it is. You took the guvment cheese for all of these reasons. So don't complain now.

So if you flood for 16 years. Wait till the monsoon season is over and quietly put that puppy on the market. Move to higher ground. Simple! Like knowing to tote a snake gun when walking.

rebellious
rebellious 09/05/12 - 09:05 pm
CGee and Sarge

Check your Facebook. I sent you friend requests.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 09/05/12 - 09:40 pm
Here is what is wrong with our society:

Ranter #7 said:

Someone needs to change their view about things, and it ain’t me.

I believe that President Barak Obama posted rant #7.

Sean Moores
Sean Moores 09/05/12 - 10:03 pm
Not really Sean's R&Rs

The reason why many R&Rs don't run is because we get 10 times more than we have room for. I don't pick them. I do a first edit to get rid of incoherent, obscene or rambling submissions, and I send them to the Metro editors who pick them each day. Sometimes we have repetition because several different people are making selections, but usually it just seems like repetition because several people have submitted very similar rants. Great minds think alike (or something like that.)

Jake
Jake 09/05/12 - 10:22 pm
Weapons

I think weapon ownership is relevant depending upon where you live and your lifestyle. Is your area crime ridden? Have you checked your neighborhood for crime statistics? What are your odds of being a crime victim? How many of you that own weapons have ever had to use them? If you feel threatened then arm yourself. I don't and I don't have the mentality of carrying a weapon out of fear.

KSL
KSL 09/06/12 - 12:29 am
I don't "carry " a weapon.

I don't "carry " a weapon. But I am "armed " and that naked idiot's family would be preparing for his funeral had I awakened to find him standing anywhere near my bed.

KSL
KSL 09/06/12 - 12:55 am
I am very glad that Kentucky

I am very glad that Kentucky vet was armed. And he lived on a farm. Didn't seem to be like a dangerous neighborhood.

shrimp for breakfast
shrimp for breakfast 09/06/12 - 03:17 am
Another thing Sean and ranter 1

It has to do with space. Sometimes your rant or rave Will make it because it was just the right size.
Right Sean?

Tullie
Tullie 09/06/12 - 04:31 am
#7

I carry my purse and wear my revolver. It has nothing to do with manhood, especially since I am woman. It has to do with people thinking that older people are fair game. If I am going to go down, I want to go down with a fighting chance. Plus the woods thing as well, there are wild dogs, rattle snakes, and we have bears that run around here at times. You never know what you can run up on when you are out on your peaceful morning walk with your angelic well-mannered dogs (coughs).

Trouble
Trouble 09/06/12 - 05:13 am
morning

while i agree with the fact that people should not pass a STOPPED school bus, (which is what i think the ranter is actually complaining about) i absolutely hate generalizations like this, you never know what is happening in that persons life, it could be a life or death situation, such as your truck could be on fire while you are driving it, and you might really need to get it off the road and get the heck out of it (true story happened to a friend of mine the other day)

seenitB4
seenitB4 09/06/12 - 05:30 am
Not Really SMs R/Rs..

Well...They oughta be....we get too many retreads......too many zzzz
I know YOU my man would do a better job...:)

Good am folks....again I missed the convention....I hear Clinton was very good last night----I'm sure some will hear both sides on here today..

seenitB4
seenitB4 09/06/12 - 05:41 am
BTW Rebel

I think you are very wise about protecting your home/life...

I know the area you live in & my folks also lived nearby at one time .....my granmom s house had at least 3 breakins.....after she put up bars on windows they crashed in the back door with an axe.....my parents kept their guns in a handy area also......so I guess what I'm saying is.......it doesn't have to be Harrisburg or even downtown....CRIME has taken over .......our pc way of living is NOT working......we have to get tough again with crooks & I don't care how they look....what size-color-age-religion-none of that matters....it is a shame that we live in this state of danger all of the time..

Some might think that it is just a way of life....but my generation won't agree.....one of the reasons I like Sheriff Arpaio is because he believes jail should be real punishment not a fun place to be.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 09/06/12 - 05:47 am
Good Morning Great American Friends and Downer.

First, Thanks rebellious, your 9:44 PM save me the many keystrokes I felt like making. When the Word Gun comes up, I get turned on. I just
wish that I could make my mouse stick on the UP's more than once.
Now carrying a weapon is, in my opinion, a sign of wisdom and preparedness. Like cars equipped with a jack, lug wrench and spare tire type of wisdom. You know, the Boy Scout "always prepared" mantra. I don't want a flat, but if it happens, I am ready.
That was your best paragraph!

Sean, Don't you ever sleep?

Jake, rebellious 2:42 am again posted my response to you before I could.
"I fear only the Snake I do not See"

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 09/06/12 - 05:56 am
Rebel

Sorry, but I haven't received one.

seenitB4
seenitB4 09/06/12 - 05:58 am
Cgee

you are giving that downer MORE attention than you give me.....& I am getting jealous.......you don't want me to beat the snot out of a meanie downer...now.......doya??
Don't make me get baaad...:):)

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 09/06/12 - 06:04 am
B4

You know darn well I couldn't give the downers more feelings than the Uppers I give You. (You are my "Gone With The Wind Love")

seenitB4
seenitB4 09/06/12 - 06:07 am
Answer to Does Sean ever sleep...heh

No....he can't sleep with the posters he has to supervise......we ain't easy-peasy yaknow....
We keep him in a state of anxiousness (word) all the time...hahah....wondering if he will continue working at AC.....waiting for the next shoe to fall....so to speak...
I don't envy him that job.......I hope they pay him at least $100,000 a year......btw SM---we really don't mean to cause trouble....we can't help it!

seenitB4
seenitB4 09/06/12 - 06:09 am
My sweet CGee

I'm going to find a sweet country song ...just for you!

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 09/06/12 - 06:23 am
Gotta Go

The call of the CIC===more holes to dig and top soil to put in them.

Trouble
Trouble 09/06/12 - 07:02 am
THIS COLUMN IS A JOKE. You

if they printed every rant or rave that they got every day, they would have to make an entire new section of the paper, (maybe they could call it section r.......that would get some peoples attention)

seenitB4
seenitB4 09/06/12 - 07:41 am
trouble

I have always said they need to let us choose the r/rs.....they want readers..hey we can stir a pot...heh heh
They won't be bored..that's for sure!

Trouble
Trouble 09/06/12 - 07:49 am
seenit

sm prolly gets rid of most of the ones that we would choose before he sends them on to the staff............

Thanksgiving burns injure 8

Eight people have already been admitted to the Joseph M. Still burn center for cooking related burns this Thanksgiving.