Rants & Raves

Comments from readers:

I JUST WANT TO express my thanks to Claire in Dr. Brown’s office. Last month my mother called the office saying she needed an appointment but was confused; all she said was she needed a doctor. When the girl on the phone couldn’t get any info from my mom, she told her to stay where she was she would help her. She looked up my mother’s info, found me listed as emergency contact and called me at work. Claire was calm but firm; she asked that I call her or send a neighbor over to check on her. I left work and found my mother standing in her kitchen confused. I got her dressed and to the hospital. She had had a stroke. She called her eye doctor but couldn’t say what was wrong. Because someone went the extra mile, mom is in better shape. God bless you.

THE WAR ON WOMEN: It’s amazing that the liberals have hijacked the topic of abortion into a war on women. The real war on women occurs when millions of unborn females are slaughtered through abortion and justified through some false advertising campaign of women’s rights. The real war on women began when 700,000 women lost jobs under President Obama. I wonder how many also lost their health coverage when they lost their jobs!

THE U.S. Department of Agriculture – and other departments, e.g., Education, Health, FDA – were all unconstitutionally started to give politicians power over essentials of life, like food and learning and health and meds, while none of them are mentioned in the Constitution. Therefore, according to the 10th Amendment, the federal government has no authority over them.

IT APPEARS THAT according to the logic of Judge Culbertson, a killer can guarantee he won’t get the death sentence simply by hiring a lawyer who’s incompetent or who knows how to “make mistakes.” Where did justice go?

ISAKSON, CHAMBLISS AND Barrow pretend they don’t want cuts to the military budget even though that budget is slob fat with waste. Like a government, an army is stronger when it’s lean, not when it’s fat and wasteful. These guys seem to favor anything that doesn’t cut spending. It’s time to clean house in Washington.

dstewartsr
20389
dstewartsr 09/01/12 - 08:13 pm
It's good

... to read something with a positive outcome for a change, something besides the petty bickering and shout-outs between posters.

dstewartsr
20389
dstewartsr 09/01/12 - 08:17 pm
In "My Fair Lady"

... there's a line how "English" hasn't been used in America in years. The same can pretty much be said of the Constitution which has been either ignored outright or judicially incrementally overturned.

Jake
Jake 09/01/12 - 09:02 pm
English

My father met my mother in France during WWII. They were married in Grenoble, France in 1945. She learned English in grade school so there was no communication problems. However, when she immigrated to the US (specifically Hoboken, GA, near Waycross) she had a hard time trying to communicate with the locals because she was speaking "proper" English and the folks in south Georgia were speaking the local vernacular. She did not know what "nary", "younguns", "taters", "y'all", etc., meant. She explained to me later that this was one of the most difficult things about coming to this country that she encountered.

seenitB4
seenitB4 09/02/12 - 06:53 am
Ain't nary

Ain't nary a thing wrong with the way we talk...we eat taters & so what...yall & younguns makes sense to me.....jest git up & go some place else is what I say......:)
We ain't a-changing for no dang outsider....no way-no how...now don't git me going bout those folks out in califo-NIA....yall might have your movie stars....we have UGA/Bulldogs....Jeff Foxworthy--had Lewis Grizzard---some of the best dang country music ever made....bes moonshine & don't let me fergit...
GONE WITH THE WIND!!

haha....luvs ya Jake!

seenitB4
seenitB4 09/02/12 - 07:00 am
GWTW

Gone With the Wind" is not really the second best-selling book of all-time, behind only the Bible, as generations of Atlantans have boasted, but it does stand as one of the most astonishing triumphs in the annals of publishing.

More than 30 million copies of the Pulitzer Prize-winning novel are in print worldwide, according to most estimates. And that little ole movie? David O. Selznick's 1939 adaptation finishes atop most reckonings of the biggest-earning films of all-time, adjusted for inflation.

Throw in sequels, licensing and merchandise, and the business of "Gone With the Wind," still guided by Mitchell's estate in Atlanta, is humming along very nicely.

"It's making more money now than it ever did in Mitchell's lifetime," says John Wiley, co-author of a new history of the book, "Margaret Mitchell's Gone With the Wind."

Still making money.......now how many books written in the 1930s can say THAT!

seenitB4
seenitB4 09/02/12 - 07:09 am
Rebel

About your thought provoking post yesterday......well it provoked some thoughts...:)

I agree that the majority of the posts are negative....human nature they say.....not always good for business....even Sean has said before (I think) that posts will tend to fall on the negative more times than positive...
THAT is one reason I'm glad we have the r/rs....here is where we have a chance to be funny---put some good thoughts on here----let our hair down---rant & rave---to appreciate others ....or not.
So keep provoking me Rebel...heh heh...I like it!

Trouble
Trouble 09/02/12 - 07:31 am
morning

rk actually made it out of town yesterday!!! he is not on his way to califorina.

seenit, i hope you are ok, he drove out of here and headed straight to atlanta, you know how long it has been since he last drove that thing....lol

seenitB4
seenitB4 09/02/12 - 07:43 am
Just for RKill this am

Good am trouble......I can't blame my aches on Rkill...wish they would come up with a cure for bad joints & I don't mean smoking...hahah

Now I sooo know what oldsters meant.....when they said to us as kids...."Ya better enjoy your selfs now " they also said to stop wasting our youth on foolishness but hey.....don't we all take it for granite :)

seenitB4
seenitB4 09/02/12 - 07:57 am
Boy have I heard some of these sayings...:)

"Can't teach an old dog new tricks."
"Like two peas in a pod."
"Birds of a feather flock together."
"Happy as a clam."
"Don't count your chickens before they hatch."
"Eye for an eye."
"Can the leopard change his spots?"
"Beauty is but skin deep."
"All that glitters is not gold."
"The pen is mightier than the sword."
"Nothing is certain but death and taxes."
"Blood is thicker than water."
"Steal my thunder."
"When in Rome, do as the Romans do."
"Live to fight another day."
"Don't bite the hand that feeds you."
"That put me through the wringer."
"Bells and whistles..." (As in, it's got too many bells and whistles.)
"He dropped the ball."
"It's like trying to get blood out of a stone."
"Once in a blue moon."
"Add fuel to the fire."
"He's got an ace up his sleeve."
"That's just a drop in the bucket."
"A day late and a dollar short."

also pretty is as pretty does.......bless her heart....don't bite the hand that feeds ya.......hey that one is good for today...about biting hand..heh

soapy_725
soapy_725 09/02/12 - 08:08 am
In ARC,

Don't take a knife to a gun fight.
What goes a Roundtree, comes a Roundtree.
A GRU by any other name would smell as sweet.
What would Azzeus do?

rebellious
20630
rebellious 09/02/12 - 08:17 am

Keeps those cards and letters coming, Seenit

allhans
allhans 09/02/12 - 02:21 pm
Guesswork for a military

Guesswork for a military budget?
Maybe we can reduce the military budget AFTER the "slob fat and waste" has been rooted out. That seems to me would be a better time to decide what a new budget would be.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 09/02/12 - 08:34 am
Good Morning America and All

I just realized something. To wake up and start reading the Good, the Bad, The Ugly, Crime, Education, GRU and even those that love "Gone With The Wind, I sometimes fail to realize the best of today.
.. I AM HERE TO READ IT..

seenitB4
seenitB4 09/02/12 - 08:36 am
Another saying from my daughter...

"What happens in DESTIN stays in Destin".....heh heh heh...
(yeh she will kill me)

ok now about the raccoon attack....she is fine (thanks nabors) the cat is fine.......but the raccoon is on the loose......around Walton Way -Wheeler--Ravenel......so watch out jrc.....

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 09/02/12 - 08:40 am
Got A Call Yesterday

from my classmate cousin telling me that we are now down to 9 left of our graduation class of 1955. Just makes you think...when??

So, I give my thanks to God to allow me to be one of the 9 enjoying life that he has given me.

Karen Slater-McDaniel
Karen Slater-McDaniel 09/02/12 - 08:42 am
Press #3 for German

Morning y'all ... Jake, my mother had the same problems. In Germany she had to take English & another foreign language (she took French). She always said English was the hardest because of the variations (their, there, are, our, etc). And then she came to the US & the South. Lol. However, I feel blessed to have been fortunate enough to grow up learning from two cultures that were so different.

seenitB4
seenitB4 09/02/12 - 08:44 am
CGee

I'm thankful you are with us too.....:)

Keep entertaining us on here Cgee & as soon as you buy that beach house ...heh eh...I'm sure the sun & water will add even more years on your life....& we will keep you company there cause we sho don't want you to get lonely....

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 09/02/12 - 08:52 am
B4

For now I guess we will have to enjoy the washed in sand at the bottom of the boat ramp (Beach) and the pavilion (Beach House).

seenitB4
seenitB4 09/02/12 - 08:57 am
CGee

Play that good ole country music in the background & I can enjoy anyplace with you...:)

Now it is passing 9am.....have a few things to do...seeyall later!

Sargebaby
Sargebaby 09/02/12 - 10:43 am
Good morning evaboddy! SB4,

Good morning evaboddy! SB4, you can add "scarce as hen's teeth" to your list of sayings. It's one my "Grammaw" used to say all the time, particularly when talking about the price of goods and groceries.

Let me add that I'm very happy that you are still with us, CG! Over half of my classmates are gone, and I'm feeling pretty blessed to still be here. I'm even more blessed to know, and have Friends who keep saying nice things about us (AC Posters)! Nice breeds nice!

Sargebaby
Sargebaby 09/02/12 - 11:04 am
I want to thank the Augusta

I want to thank the Augusta Chronicle Editorial Staff for their article, "Is It Worth It?"

Most every career Military person I know will take a hard look at this comment, and like me, come away with mixed emotions. As a Vietnam Combat Veteran, my first impressions are to say, hell yes, it's worth it! But tell that to the parents and family of Army Private First Class Patricia L. Horne, who was just returned home in a flag draped coffin. My question is; is this the true cost of freedom, serving in a country that by nature and Religion have sworn to kill the infidels? My conclusion is a resounding, no!

Nothing America can do, or is able to do, will stop the terroristic type of mindset of the Taliban or alqueada. Afghanistan is cheating America, and our allies, trying to whittle away our personnel and equipment a little at a time, and dragging out a conflict that we could end by simply leaving them to fight their own battles the way they have for the past few thousand years.

Jake
Jake 09/02/12 - 12:02 pm
Ditto Sarge

I feel the same as you on this. I hope you are doing well today.

KSM, I also feel blessed to have been able to learn from two different cultures. Nothing like grits, pork steak, mustard greens, cornbread and a glass of Pinot Noir.

CG, also glad you are still with us as well. How many were in your class?

hotsaucemom
hotsaucemom 09/02/12 - 12:42 pm
Republican voted on their

Republican voted on their platform - officially adopting Congressman Todd Akin's no - choice - with - no - exceptions position on abortion and Paul Ryan's plan to voucherize Medicare as tenets of the Republican Party. Let me put this as simply as I can: Republicans have embraced the most radical, right - wing fringe of their own party and it's hurting Republican candidate up and down the ballot. We can beat Mitt Romney. We can beat Speaker John Boehner and his Tea Party majority. Republicans are their own worst enemy and they know it. Mitt Romney knows his vice presidential candidate Paul Ryan (is toxic with his tongue) told too many lies about President Obama at the Republican National Convention and he's already running from it. Republicans have backed themselves into a corner. Their extreme right - wing agenda is hurting Mitt Romney and it's hurting Republicans up and down the ballot.

happychimer
happychimer 09/02/12 - 12:54 pm
Sarge I agree. Bring our

Sarge I agree. Bring our troops home!

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 09/02/12 - 12:55 pm
Finished

Just come in finished my weekly chore of changing a 10 acre hay field into a high price green carpet.

Jim, Brother, Nobody but nobody could have said it any better. My response is Yes for a "Hell No" it isn't worth it.

Jake, the first Graduating class in the new High School in Saranac, NY. Big class of 29. Two died giving their lives in Nam, With the exception of 2 by Car accidents (Winter related), The rest as far as I know have passed due to that devil given disease, Cancer. 4 males and 3 females left.

I guess it must be the Indian in me that keeps me fighting the Little Big Horn and the King SMNCICBHO.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 09/02/12 - 12:59 pm
hotsaucemom

My response to that Head in the Sand, Brain wash comment will be made in November. Make sure you vote!

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 09/02/12 - 01:02 pm
By The Way

hotsaucemom, the first downer is mine!

harley_52
harley_52 09/02/12 - 01:04 pm
Sargebaby....

"So, today, I side with the Augusta Chronicle Editorial Staff, by saying, no, it's not worth it to send another American life home in a coffin, to fight an unwinnable war with terrorists! Bring our troops home!"

I join you and the AC in concluding we should bring the troops home now. I've advocated that position for several years now. I reached that conclusion when I became convinced that our National strategy was NOT to win the war, but to flee from it, not unlike the war you and I fought more than four decades ago and all other wars the U.S. has "fought" since WWII.

The war is not "unwinnable." In the long run, either the Islamic terrorists will win, or we will. At this point, I'm betting on the terrorists.

seenitB4
seenitB4 09/02/12 - 01:30 pm
What do ya know sarge....

ScienceDaily (Feb. 23, 2006) — Scientists have discovered that rarest of things: a chicken with teeth -- crocodile teeth to be precise.

I found this while looking up the saying on hens teeth

Contrary to the well-known phrase, 'As rare as hens' teeth,' the researchers say they have found a naturally occurring mutant chicken called Talpid that has a complete set of ivories.

The team, based at the Universities of Manchester and Wisconsin, have also managed to induce teeth growth in normal chickens -- activating genes that have lain dormant for 80 million years.

Professor Mark Ferguson, one of the scientific team at the University of Manchester, says the research -- published in Current Biology this week -- has major implications in understanding the processes of evolution. It could also have applications in tissue regeneration, including the replacement of lost teeth in humans.

"The mutant bird has severe limb defects and dies before it can hatch," explained Professor Ferguson, who is based in the University's Faculty of Life Sciences.

"It was discovered 50 years ago but no one has ever examined its mouth. What we discovered were teeth similar to those of crocodiles -- not surprising as birds are the closest living relatives of the reptile."

The discovery led the team to wonder whether healthy chickens might still maintain the genetic pathways to re-grow teeth.

Karen Slater-McDaniel
Karen Slater-McDaniel 09/02/12 - 01:31 pm
Advantages of a foreign parent

Lol ... Jake we got gummy bears & gummy snoodles (pacifiers) from our Oma before kids in the US even knew what they were. I only regret not letting our mom continue to speak German to me ... I was embarrassed by her using German in front of people & asked her not to speak to me except in English when I was younger! Too bad she didn't insist or I wasn't so insistent. :(