Rants & Raves

Comments from readers:

BIG RANT TO PEOPLE, especially young women, talking on the cellphone at the same time they are paying the cashier. That shows no manners and respect for other people’s time. Pause your call, pay attention and get out of the way, please.

GRU? TALK ABOUT name recognition, Georgia Regional University?

WE WOULD LIKE TO thank the gentleman who helped us with our flat tire at the Augusta Back and Spine Center. He would not accept a dime for his help ... wouldn’t even let us buy breakfast. I hope we meet him there again. ... I have a treat for his dog.

THE CHICK-FIL-A controversy isn’t about what Mr. Cathy thinks or says. It’s about what we do. It’s about what happens with the money that goes from our pockets into his coffers. Part of every Chick-fil-A purchase becomes a contribution to groups that cloak hate in Bible-speak in order to do harm to gay men and lesbians. Connect the dots, folks. Continue to support hate groups if you like, but be honest about what you’re doing.

I HAVE A GAY FRIEND whose partner passed away unexpectedly. They were partners for 38 years. Friends rallied to provide support. Neighbors drove my friend to the hospital, and later to the funeral home to make arrangements. Neighbors called, delivered food and talked to one another about how best to support my friend during the difficult time. To me, this is what it means to be a Christian – not standing in a long line to purchase a chicken sandwich.

THE BOARD OF REGENTS didn’t see any survey data before they voted to screw up the merged Augusta schools even worse by insanely and egotistically naming the new school after themselves.

A BIG RAVE for a Ms. Tracy, who works at Macy’s in the men’s department. Thank you so much for tying my bow-tie. As James Brown once said, “It’s a man’s world, but it would be NOTHING without a woman!”

RAVE FOR REPUBLICAN vice presidential candidate Paul Ryan. He is not as conservative as some might have been led to believe.

I WOULD LIKE TO suggest the combined university be named Georgia Regents University at Augusta. That would identify the state and the city and would be a compromise on both sides.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 08/30/12 - 02:25 pm
Neo-Conservative

You can find out more information about the rise of neo-conservativism on the internet.

Neo-conservativism crept into the Republican party as more and more pressure came for the U.S. to try to influence countries (mostly in the Middle East, but also countries like Hungary, Poland, etc.) to try democracy instead of communism or other forms of totalitarianism. Said influence could include war when desired. The Bush family (father & son), Dick Cheney, and several others are adherents of neo-conservatism.

seenitB4
seenitB4 08/30/12 - 02:31 pm
Right across from police station in broad daylight

CUMMING, GA (CBS ATLANTA) -
Cumming police said quick thinking by a mother and father prevented their 4-year-old daughter from being kidnapped from the parking lot of a grocery store.

Jose Gutierrez told CBS Atlanta News that his wife was about to load their infant son into his car seat outside Carniceria Hernandez on Veterans Memorial Highway when a man pulled up and attempted to grab the couple's daughter, Lizeth.

Gutierrez said his wife managed to pull the child away and the suspect fled.

"He opened his door and tried to grab her," Guttierez said. "And she saved her. She saved her. She's the hero."

A short time later police arrested Francisco Javier Martinez, 24, of Cumming. Police said he is an illegal immigrant and deportation proceedings may be forthcoming.

The attempted abduction happened right across from the Cumming Police Department.

Jake
Jake 08/30/12 - 02:35 pm
Decisions

ICL@12:15 - "We are free to make the decisions in life that please us and I just hope individuals truly understand the consequences of those choices...." I agree with that part of your statement except not all choices that we make are to "please" us. Some choices are made out of obligation, duress, the lesser of 2 evils, etc. The rest of your statement is just religious opinion, to which you are certainly entitled to.

seenitB4
seenitB4 08/30/12 - 02:55 pm
Also this week...sitting in her car at Grant Park

ATLANTA (CBS ATLANTA) -
A woman used to helping others through ministry had a gun shoved in her face and the crook took her laptop computer.

Adrienne Saxon is a soccer coach who works with inner city kids. She was held up at gunpoint by someone she might be meant to save.

"I kind of put my hand a little bit in his face because I wanted to get his gun out of my face," Saxon said.

Saxon stepped out of the Octane Coffee Bar on Memorial Drive Monday night to charge her cell phone and make a call in her van, but when the call ended, a thief approached her window.

"He came to my driver's side door with a gun and said, 'Don't say anything, don't say anything. Give me your laptop,'" Saxon said. "It probably happened in five seconds."

Now is it just me.....or have we totally lost control of combating crime....EVERYWHERE...

InChristLove
InChristLove 08/30/12 - 03:02 pm
If decisions are made out of

If decisions are made out of obligation, duress, or the lesser of two evils, in my opinion they aren't really choices, they appear to be more of a responsiblity where choice is taken out of the equation.

But then that's just my opinion, you are free to have yours.

InChristLove
InChristLove 08/30/12 - 03:09 pm
SeenitB4 (your 2:31pm post).

SeenitB4 (your 2:31pm post). What is so scary, was this the first time this man tried to abduct a child or has this happened before. And if so, is this child trafficing? Parents need to be ever watchful.

InChristLove
InChristLove 08/30/12 - 03:34 pm
Man SeenitB4, read the

Man SeenitB4, read the article, then another and then another....All i can say is depressing news.

seenitB4
seenitB4 08/30/12 - 03:43 pm
Yep very depressing

That is a sample of what I see everyday in this area....the very reason I come on here for comedy relief.....& they must be busy today....or 2 timing us on another venue....nnnahh...must be busy..

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 08/30/12 - 03:49 pm
Cut to the chase

I am a believer whether you believe it or not. My bible says, and I may be paraphrasing since I did not look it up in whatever is this weeks PC version. For who so ever believes in me shall not perish but have everlasting life. It goes on to say no one comes to the Father but by me. What is doesn't say is but by me and what the Baptists, or Methodists, or Catholics, or Lutheran, or insert religion here say.

InChristLove
InChristLove 08/30/12 - 04:12 pm
RK, who are you talking to?

RK, who are you talking to? I haven't seen any post that said you aren't a believer and what does Baptist, Methodist, or any other religious affiliation have to do with today's comments? I think your paraphrasing is spot on.....we are saved by Grace, through believing in the Lord Jesus Christ, repentance and accepting Him as Lord, which is what Jesus meant by being born of water and the spirit. Has someone stated differently on here?

harley_52
22064
harley_52 08/30/12 - 04:14 pm
You can find out more information.....

.....about the rise of neo-conservativism on the internet."

Yes, I know. None of it makes any sense and most of the opinions are conflicting.

"My version is that conservatives originally were very wary about the United States’ going to war. The idea was that the Monroe Doctrine is worthy of respect and the U.S. should not meddle in other countries’ wars. That is why you can see that foreign wars were largely entered by Democrat presidents up until George H. W. Bush intervened in the Kuwait theater."

Actually, you've lost me there. The Monroe Doctrine has nothing to do with the middle-east, applying specifically to European intervention in the affairs of Central and South America.

Moreover, I think everybody (democrats and Republicans alike) are " wary about the United States’ going to war." I include in that statement people like Condi Rice and Dick Cheney. However, most rational people believe that war is sometimes unavoidable, as when your national security is significantly endangered and attempts at preserving it through diplomacy and sanctions short of war have failed.

"Neo-conservativism crept into the Republican party as more and more pressure came for the U.S. to try to influence countries (mostly in the Middle East, but also countries like Hungary, Poland, etc.) to try democracy instead of communism or other forms of totalitarianism."

I know....I've heard all that before, but I've never seen specific examples defended convincingly.

"Said influence could include war when desired. The Bush family (father & son), Dick Cheney, and several others are adherents of neo-conservatism."

I know that's the schtick....but their policies make perfect sense to me, except that in all cases they stop short of winning (a word hardly used by those critical of "neo-cons") usually because those who demonize "neo-cons" haven't the understanding, nor the guts, to finish what we (for good reason) started.

justthefacts
20228
justthefacts 08/30/12 - 04:17 pm
But, ya'll

College Football starts this week. Winners: UGA, USC, Clemson. Losers: Ga Tech.

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 08/30/12 - 04:22 pm
ICL

No one in particular and everyone in general. I have been in churches that went from simply confess and be saved to a couple that believed you MUST be baptised. That if you died after confession and repentance but before the act of baptism, you were doomed. That is just one example. Another is speaking in tongues. One church will say you must have that "gift" while another pays no attention to it.

seenitB4
seenitB4 08/30/12 - 04:30 pm
A little funny......

Johnny's Mother looked out the window and noticed him "playing church" with their cat.

He had the cat sitting quietly and he was preaching to it. She smiled and went about her work. A while later she heard loud meowing and hissing and ran back To the open window to see Johnny baptizing the cat in a tub of water.

She called out, "Johnny, stop that! The cat is afraid of water!"

Johnny looked up at her and said, "He should have thought about that before he joined my church."

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 08/30/12 - 04:38 pm
Another funny

A Baptist Minister, a Catholic Priest, and a Jewish Rabbi were fishing in a boat. They ran out of sodas. The Rabbi said that he would go to shore and get some more. So he gets out of the boat, walks to the shore and returns with another case of sodas. Soon they ran out of snacks. The Priest volunteers to get more. He too gets out of the boat, walks to the shore and returns with more sandwiches. Then they ran out of bait. The Minister this time volunteers to get more bait. He gets out of the boat and immediately sinks. Rabbi says to the Priest... " Should we tell him where the rocks are"?

Please people take this in jest as it is intended.

InChristLove
InChristLove 08/30/12 - 04:39 pm
Cute SeenitB4 :) RK, I've

Cute SeenitB4 :)

RK, I've found it best to go with what Jesus says, not what religion says. I believe that baptism is important but do not think that salvation depends upon it. I had an aunt who could not be submerged due to a breathing problem. I'm sure Jesus was more than willing to accept her repentance and forgive her and call her His daughter. As for speaking in tongues....God gives us all different gifts and I do believe it also states in scripture that in order to speak in tongue there must be an interpreter, why else would the Holy Spirit speak through someone, if there is no one to hear the message. We might not always get it right but if you stick with reading and studying scripture and prayer, I sincerely believe that God will reveal the truth.

Have a blessed evening and safe journey when you're on the road.

dstewartsr
20388
dstewartsr 08/30/12 - 05:15 pm
"How many husbands

... would be willing to do that for their wives?" Even today, quite a few. Look at the recent theatre shooting; I believe it was three men who threw themselves over their loved ones to shield them from the killer's bullets. At least one gave up his life.

Despite decades of open, often virulent disparagement of everything masculine, most of us remain what the feminist dominated culture refers to as neanderthals; which is to say, with the exception of metrosexuals and gays, pretty much untouched by it all.

seenitB4
seenitB4 08/30/12 - 05:24 pm
Also stewart

Just recently I read about a husband protecting his wife with his body in a tornado & it killed him but she lived....
also mothers protecting kids with their body & saving their children.....I have seen a touching picture of a mother bird dead from flames but her chicks under her were still alive......

Freeatlast
Freeatlast 08/30/12 - 05:50 pm
I don't know if you saw Paul

I don't know if you saw Paul Ryan's speech last night, this man told so many lies about President Obama. I'm making sure I show up at the poll on Nov. 6 and vote for Democrats, I smell a "Big Rat."

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 08/30/12 - 06:14 pm
I didn't hear the Kool-Aid

I didn't hear the Kool-Aid truck.

Sargebaby
Sargebaby 08/30/12 - 07:12 pm
Smelling a "big rat" doesn't

Smelling a "big rat" doesn't take long when you're arguing politics! I smelled $716 billion rats with Obama's healthcare program! That, my friend, is one big stink!

InChristLove
InChristLove 08/30/12 - 07:15 pm
Well my Word! What in the

Well my Word! What in the blazes could I have possibly said in my 4:39pm comment that would warrant a thumbs down. Someone is seriously disfunctional and unhappy.....Whomever you are, I sincerely hope Christ brings some joy into your life, cause you definitely need something to smile about.

Sargebaby
Sargebaby 08/30/12 - 07:23 pm
"For who so ever believes in

"For who so ever believes in me shall not perish but have everlasting life. It goes on to say no one comes to the Father but by me. What is doesn't say is but by me and what the Baptists, or Methodists, or Catholics, or Lutheran, or insert religion here say."

Many Religions have been spawned by the Holy Bible. Which one is the correct one? Therein lies the question of all time! Men have taken the scriptures and created Religions, but in doing so, men will add to, and take away from God's Holy and Inspired word! It's up to each of us to try and make the right decisions with what we believe. One day, we will know! Until then, study, and live your lives for Christ, who gave His all for us!

Sargebaby
Sargebaby 08/30/12 - 07:25 pm
ICL, don't let "an opinion"

ICL, don't let "an opinion" upset you! There are more here who appreciate it than someone with an irritated thumb!

Sargebaby
Sargebaby 08/30/12 - 07:28 pm
Political opinions are like

Political opinions are like opossums in Georgia! They are everywhere!

InChristLove
InChristLove 08/30/12 - 07:31 pm
LOL.....Thanks Sarge (hope

LOL.....Thanks Sarge (hope you are feeling well). Oh, it doesn't upset me, just odd is all. Guess it's someone who has the dislikes for me personally since nothing I said could have been taken wrongly earlier or at 7:15pm. Gives them something to do to seem important I suppose.

rebellious
20127
rebellious 08/30/12 - 08:00 pm
ICL

Fuggitaboutit. Don't let a thumbs down bother you. If you let that get to you, then when Sean pulls your posts 3 times in a day, you will be devastated. There are people from all walks, and beliefs, and opinions on here. So don't sweat the small stuff, cause it's all small stuff.

Trouble
Trouble 08/30/12 - 09:08 pm
home from work at last

icl, the post that you asked about was not aimed at you personally, though it was your post that prompted it, but i never meant to insinuate that you would do what i said in that post, just an observation that i have seen some people do, and as i have never met you, i would never presume that you are that type of person, sorry if there was a misunderstanding there.