Rants & Raves

Comments from readers:

BIG RANT TO PEOPLE, especially young women, talking on the cellphone at the same time they are paying the cashier. That shows no manners and respect for other people’s time. Pause your call, pay attention and get out of the way, please.

GRU? TALK ABOUT name recognition, Georgia Regional University?

WE WOULD LIKE TO thank the gentleman who helped us with our flat tire at the Augusta Back and Spine Center. He would not accept a dime for his help ... wouldn’t even let us buy breakfast. I hope we meet him there again. ... I have a treat for his dog.

THE CHICK-FIL-A controversy isn’t about what Mr. Cathy thinks or says. It’s about what we do. It’s about what happens with the money that goes from our pockets into his coffers. Part of every Chick-fil-A purchase becomes a contribution to groups that cloak hate in Bible-speak in order to do harm to gay men and lesbians. Connect the dots, folks. Continue to support hate groups if you like, but be honest about what you’re doing.

I HAVE A GAY FRIEND whose partner passed away unexpectedly. They were partners for 38 years. Friends rallied to provide support. Neighbors drove my friend to the hospital, and later to the funeral home to make arrangements. Neighbors called, delivered food and talked to one another about how best to support my friend during the difficult time. To me, this is what it means to be a Christian – not standing in a long line to purchase a chicken sandwich.

THE BOARD OF REGENTS didn’t see any survey data before they voted to screw up the merged Augusta schools even worse by insanely and egotistically naming the new school after themselves.

A BIG RAVE for a Ms. Tracy, who works at Macy’s in the men’s department. Thank you so much for tying my bow-tie. As James Brown once said, “It’s a man’s world, but it would be NOTHING without a woman!”

RAVE FOR REPUBLICAN vice presidential candidate Paul Ryan. He is not as conservative as some might have been led to believe.

I WOULD LIKE TO suggest the combined university be named Georgia Regents University at Augusta. That would identify the state and the city and would be a compromise on both sides.

InChristLove
InChristLove 08/30/12 - 11:31 am
Yes Jake, Trouble's comment

Yes Jake, Trouble's comment was good, just not accurrate.

"But God has revealed them to us through His Spirit. For the Spirit searches all things, yes, the deep things of God.... Now we have received, not the spirit of the world, but the Spirit who is from God, that we might know the things that have been freely given to us by God. ... But the natural man does not receive the things of the Spirit of God, for they are foolishness to him; nor can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned." 1 Corinthians 2:1-14

We aren't free to interpret scripture "however best suits their needs" but it is through a relationship with Christ and through the direction of the Holy Spirit that we interpret scripture correctly and truthfully.

Sargebaby
Sargebaby 08/30/12 - 11:37 am
God, the Bible, and sin!

God, the Bible, and sin! Issues that bring as much confusion as a National Political Convention. God gave us the gift of free will, to decide for ourselves, those things that we consider moral or sinful. Our job is to try and live according to His will, which is by far, the most difficult task known to man. It goes beyond stupidity to accuse someone of some belief, or sin that we feel is wrong for society. We will all be judged individually and it doesn't matter who's right, or who's wrong! Because in the final judgment, we will find out whether we chose eternal life, or we chose poorly! The choice is ours, alone!

Jake
Jake 08/30/12 - 11:54 am
Beliefs

Well, ICL, you believe it your way and I'll believe it mine. I am willing to face the consequences of my choices in life.

allhans
allhans 08/30/12 - 12:00 pm
One of the first acts of a

One of the first acts of a president Romney should be to appoint Jeb Bush and Condoleezza Rice as members of his Cabinet. Those two are exceptional and would be tremendous assets to the new administration.

Jane18
Jane18 08/30/12 - 12:09 pm
Sometime being good is not enough

Sorry, Trouble, the Bible is here for us to learn to interpret though Greek, Hebrew, and Aramaic words. The translators did a pretty good job of doing that, but, there are even deeper meanings, idioms, eupehenisms, that have to be searched out. Most people(some call themselves teachers, pastors, rabbis, priests, reverends, etc.) tend to speak literally of certain words and/or phrases. Some are wrong, thus, many are mislead. As for your last paragraph, I understand your thinking. But, being kind and great(?) will not alone get people into eternity with the LORD. While these are very good attributes, they are not the true requirement..John3:15-21

InChristLove
InChristLove 08/30/12 - 12:15 pm
You are absolutely correct

You are absolutely correct Jake. We are free to make the decisions in life that please us and I just hope individuals truly understand the consequences of those choices, especially the ramification of denying Christ. If so, then it is sad I will not be able to say "my brother or my sister".

Jane18
Jane18 08/30/12 - 12:25 pm
Choices

You know ICL, there are some that will never get "IT", so, go on and keep planting seeds. Who knows? Maybe GOD will cause one to grow.........even in hard ground and briars.

InChristLove
InChristLove 08/30/12 - 12:22 pm
Wonder what ranter #8 meant?

Wonder what ranter #8 meant? Is there something non-conservative they'd like to talk about against Paul Ryan?

InChristLove
InChristLove 08/30/12 - 12:28 pm
Well Jane18, God's going to

Well Jane18, God's going to have to do some mighty heap of watering, cause the ground sure is hard in most places.

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 08/30/12 - 12:54 pm
Lets talk about wine

Many people say the bible should be taken literally in ALL cases. Most of these same people will condemn you for taking an alcoholic drink. But remember the wedding where Jesus turned water to wine. I have heard pastors say that it wasn't wine, it was grape juice.

Then there is the parable of the wine skins. New wine skins had to be used each year to prevent them from bursting during the fermentation process. Got news for a lot of folks, grape juice does not give off the gasses which causes the expansion leading to the wine skins bursting. Fermenting grape juice however does produce these gasses. And what is fermented grape juice?

I'll leave it at that for you to fight over. Either the bible is literal or it isn't.

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 08/30/12 - 12:57 pm
Now the important stuff

I know for a fact that there is one true Christian among us. I don't even know if this person goes to church. But I can tell by their actions they are more of a Christian than some I have known that are in a church any time the doors are open. And to this person, thanks again.

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 08/30/12 - 12:58 pm
Now everybody

tell a cop thank you today. KSM, you know what to do!

HenryWalker3rd
HenryWalker3rd 08/30/12 - 01:13 pm
"Wine" back then is not

"Wine" back then is not today's wine. Look it up.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 08/30/12 - 01:22 pm
Apprehension

Here are some exerpts from Condoleezza Rice's speech:

. . . Yet, the promise of the Arab spring is engulfed in uncertainty, internal strife, and hostile neighbors our challenging the young, fragile democracy of Iraq. Dictators in Iran and Syria butcher their people and threat to regional security. Russia and China prevent a response, and everyone asks, where does America stand?

. . . But we can only know that there is no choice, because one of two things will happen if we don't lead. Either no one will lead and there will be chaos, or someone will fill the vacuum who does not share our values. My fellow Americans, we do not have a choice. We cannot be reluctant to lead and you cannot lead from behind.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

It sounds exactly like the neo-con foreign policy of Dick cheney.

She delivered the speech well, but I am disturbed by the content.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 08/30/12 - 01:42 pm
Sulfites

The main difference between wine "back then" and wine today is that they had not discovered sulfur dioxide back then. Use of synthetic sulfur dioxide has revolutionized winemaking.

Trouble
Trouble 08/30/12 - 01:28 pm
birth control

birth control is not mentioned in the bible because it wasn't invented back then. but if you refer to

Genesis 38:8-10
New International Version (NIV)
8 Then Judah said to Onan, “Sleep with your brother’s wife and fulfill your duty to her as a brother-in-law to raise up offspring for your brother.” 9 But Onan knew that the child would not be his; so whenever he slept with his brother’s wife, he spilled his semen on the ground to keep from providing offspring for his brother. 10 What he did was wicked in the Lord’s sight; so the Lord put him to death also.

this was clearly not the most effective form of birth control but Onan was killed for it.

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 08/30/12 - 01:31 pm
So HW3

Is the bible literal or not?

InChristLove
InChristLove 08/30/12 - 01:38 pm
"Either the bible is literal

"Either the bible is literal or it isn't" Can not scripture be both?

The issue isn't whether it is a sin or not to drink alcoholic beverages, the issue is whether your drinking alcoholic beverages causes a non-believer to "stumble" in their belief in Christ.

1 Corinthians 10:31 "So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God."

1 Corinthians 8:9 But you must be careful so that your freedom does not cause others with a weaker conscience to stumble.

There are things that are permissable to us as believers, but are they the best for us, and will they cause someone who is not a believer to continue on the path of sin?

InChristLove
InChristLove 08/30/12 - 01:41 pm
".... but Onan was killed for

".... but Onan was killed for it." Wrong, Onan was killed because he disobeyed God.

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 08/30/12 - 01:42 pm
"Either the bible is literal or it isn't" Can not scripture be b

So, if the bible can be both then it has to be open to interpretation.

Karen Slater-McDaniel
Karen Slater-McDaniel 08/30/12 - 01:42 pm
Well ... I think I will go

Well ... I think I will go home tonight and drink a big ole glass of fermented grape juice (not to get drunk though ... because THAT would be a sin).

I stopped listening to layman's version of their INTERPRETATION of the bible many years ago due to a continuing argument over Ephesians 5:22-24 with a coworker who kept telling me that I was suppose to be submissive to and obey my husband. I finally had enough and called an Uncle who is now a retired Baptist preacher with 3 doctorates (one in theology). I told him about the conversation and he said "Go back tomorrow and ask her why you should take marital advise from a man in the bible [Paul] who it has never been confirmed whether or not he was ever married" ... end of conversation. Just my two cents :)

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 08/30/12 - 01:44 pm
Devils advocate here

So if Onan had an adulterous relationship with his sister in law and produced a bastard child, then all would be good.

harley_52
harley_52 08/30/12 - 01:47 pm
"It Sounds Exactly.....

....like the neo-con foreign policy of Dick cheney.

She delivered the speech well, but I am disturbed by the content."

What, exactly is a "neo-con foreign policy?"

For that matter...what is a "neo-con?"

What was it it about the "content" of MS. Rice's speech that "disturbs" you?

Just curious.

Karen Slater-McDaniel
Karen Slater-McDaniel 08/30/12 - 02:11 pm
Roadkill it was not

Roadkill it was not considered an adulterous relationship because Onan's brother, Er, was deceased. ICL is saying that Onan was killed by God for disobeying his father who told him to procreate with his brother's widow. But there are tons of interpretations to this as to whether he was killed for "spilling his seed" which is considered a form of masterbation since you were not allowed to have sexual intercourse except when producing children. But most believe it was for breaking 5th commandment.

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 08/30/12 - 01:56 pm
KSM

This is another oft forgotten verse from the same passage.

25 Husbands, love your wives, even as Christ also loved the church, and gave himself for it;

Christ so loved the church he died for it (us). How many husbands would be willing to do that for their wives?

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 08/30/12 - 01:59 pm
KSM

Note "Devils advocate here"..... luv ya girl

InChristLove
InChristLove 08/30/12 - 02:02 pm
Thank you KSM.... In levirate

Thank you KSM....

In levirate marriages, the brother of the deceased would provide offsprings to the childless widow to preerve the family line.

Karen Slater-McDaniel
Karen Slater-McDaniel 08/30/12 - 02:06 pm
Lol Roadkill ... I know, I

Lol Roadkill ... I know, I know ... however, I would probably rather DIE for my husband than to OBEY any living person (including my husband) ... I can be talked into obeying ... as long as I don't KNOW that I am obeying :p

Karen Slater-McDaniel
Karen Slater-McDaniel 08/30/12 - 02:08 pm
Gotta run ... time to see

Gotta run ... time to see patients!

InChristLove
InChristLove 08/30/12 - 02:12 pm
Ephesians 5:25 "Husbands,

Ephesians 5:25 "Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ also loved the church and gave Himself up for her"

The kicker here KSM is that if you believe the Bible to be the true Word of God and the Word of God states that God inspired those who wrote the Word of God, then we have to assume that God told Paul to write that wives should be submissive to their husbands, just as husbands should be love their wives as Christ loves the church.

If the husband is a Godly man and follows the teachings of Christ, then there is not an issue for a wife to be submissive to the leading of her husband, because if she is a follower of Christ she will want to obey Christ and trust that he will lead her husband in the things that are right and holy for the both of them.